Vermillion, SD
University of South Dakota

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend University of South Dakota

Rebecca

Talkative and helpful in class

Talkative and helpful in class

business, law, medical courses...

I would make sure I was prepared for the distance from home and the fact I know no one at the campus and really have to rely on myself to make friends and not be afraid to study hard when need be and also to have fun and get to know lots of people.

The University of South Dakota is unique by the friendlyness of professor, students and empolyees. It had a great atmosphere.

I would not worry as much as I did because after being here, I realized I had nothing to worry about. Classes are hard and required work but not impossible. Everyone is in the same boat and they are trying to make friends as well. I would not have brought as many things as I had brought because I found out I really did not need certain items that I thought would be essential.

A person who likes small towns, who would enjoy going to smaller university and a person who is looking for a close knit university.

Logan

Vermillion is probably best known for its residents. I have been many places in this country and USD has certainly impressed my friends and I with its easy-going and laid-back consensus. Folks here would rather listen and stay open-minded than be stubborn and defensive over any topic.

My senior self was not expecting his college courses to be so difficult I never had to strain for A's and B's throughout K-12. My advice to myself would be to lay off the social gatherings and focus on the educational values?Use time management and make good decisions. I never thought I would say this but I do actually wish I could press a restart button and start college over from day one. My life would be a little bit easier, but overall my mistakes in the 2009 Fall semester will not affect my life in the long run.

This University is as fun as it is challenging, modern as it is historic, and warm as it is cold?It is known for contrast. USD has so many options for the widest variety of students around the South Dakota area. Not only is the educational lever top notch, but the people here are very accepting and willing to connect in a fashion that is sure to give one a network of friends. The students and teachers I have met so far will benefit me for the rest of my life.

Kira

Don't try to put so much emphasis on the need to make new friends immediately. Try to focus more on finding yourself and a major that you will love. Don't feel that it is necessary to go out and party for the sake of looking cool. College is a learning experience and overall you'll have an amazing and incredibly stressful time finding who you truly are.

I enjoy the fact that it is not located within a large city, so unlike at most universities you can see the stars at night.

I wish I had known about the lack of good student organizations available as well as the night life in Vermillion, SD.

Miranda

I like the feeling of belonging at USD. Everywhere you go, you're bound to see someone you recognize. You don't have to know everyone by name, but just familiar and friendly faces can make all the difference.

If I were to go back in time to give myself advice, I would tell myself to delete my Facebook. Now that I'm in college, I see how much time and energy it takes away from my day when I could be doing so much more. It would be difficult to delete my Facebook now because I use it to keep in touch with family, but I wish I would have deleted it back then so I would never have gotten to this level of dependence. If the internet begins to affect my grades, I'll get rid of it, no problem. But when it doesn't obviously hurt things, that's when it's hard.

I wish I would have known how much of my time was going to be spent not studying. You learn so much about time management once you get into college. Your thoughts become "Exactly how long will I need to get ready and make it to class on time?" so you can get more sleep. You'll spend time with friends, you'll be on the internet, and some days you'll just wonder where your time went. I wish I knew how to prepare for that.

Bobbi

If I could go back in time and talk to myself as a high school senior I would tell myself not to worry as much about what other people thought about me when I went to college and to loosen up a little. I would tell myself that people are so open here and that making true friends was so easy that I don't remember how I met all of my close friends!! Also, I would tell myself that when I got to school, to drink less alcohol my first year of school! : )

The worst thing about my school is that it is located in an area that gets very cold in the winter and we have limited on-campus parking.

Tuesday

In my opinion, the University of South Dakota is best known for the diversity it offers, and next the outstanding academics. We have students from all walks of life. It definitely enhances the experience!

If I was able to go back in time and talk to myself as a high school senior, with the knowledge I have now about college, there are a few different points of advice I would give myself. First, I would advise to visit colleges in-state, and out-of-state. As a high school senior I did not visit ANY colleges and I believe it would have been extremely beneficial in making my decision. Second of all, I would advise to be prepared for the move by purchasing essential items a month or two in advance. I waited until two days before leaving to start shopping for what I needed and it was very stressful! Shopping in advance could have potentially relieved a large amount of stress. Finally, I would have advised saving money my senior year. I wasted a lot of money my senior year and now I am pinching pennies to make ends meet. If I would have saved for that entire crucial year before becoming a freshman in college I could be sitting much better financially.

Students who are not open-minded should not attend the University of South Dakota. USD is a very open-minded, exciting, diverse campus.

Amy

If I could give myself advice before attending college I would have told myself to be outgoing and make as many friends as possible. I regret not partaking in the social aspect of the college experience. It seems scary at the time but one should try to be open to trying new things or things they normally are not comfortable with. I would also suggest getting as much real life experience in different fields in order to help determine what career one would like to pursue after college. Setting long term goals and short term goals to achieve those will help.

The worst thing about USF is very minor, it would be that the way in which the school uses their email system seems to be unorganized. For example, graduate students get emails about things that don't pertain to them. Also, the entire student body receives emails only concerning those students that work for the school.

The convenience of their MBA program. I'm able to have a full time job while being a full time student.

Some classmates doen't take class seriously, but some are studious and care, and they tend to be bias and judgemental to those who are different.

It was the closest to home. Am able to get home without having my own car. Easy access to necessities. Could get around to get the things you need without a car.

Focus on studying and get out there and don't be afraid to be yourself.

Andrea

Take more college visits. Find a campus that fits you. Don't just go on tours; spend more time getting a feel for the town and social life. Academics are always a priority, but no one can learn, grow, and thrive in a socially lonely or hostile environment. Go into college with an open major and leave it undeclared for at least one to two years. Even if you have a strong idea of what career field you would like to go into, having an open major allows you the flexibilty to look into other careers that may be denied with a set major. Get to know students on campus. Go to those cheesy meet and greet events offered by your dorm. You'll be surprised how warm and friendly most of your classmates are if you give them a chance. Go to your professors office hours. They can provide guidance, reassurance, and tips for succeeding inside and outside their classroom. Keep your mind open! College is truly a time of self-discovery, so make sure you world views, beliefs, and values aren't too rigid. Get ready to question nearly all of them. Most importantly have fun!

Its a great value for the education you receive.

Anyone who doesn't mind a small town feel. USD is a nice size, not too terribly small but you won't get lost in a crowd either.

University of South Dakota administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.