Vermillion, SD
University of South Dakota

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend University of South Dakota

Kelsi

Beautiful campus, nice buildings, wonderful and helpful professors.

Beautiful campus, nice buildings, wonderful and helpful professors.

Live on campus for at least two years. Experience everything and give everything at least one chance. Look into groups and organizations.

Amy

The University of South Dakota is like a home away from home. The campus is beautiful and provides a great learning enviroment. The teachers care about you and your well being; most importantly, they are relatable to their students.

Don't worry about your standing in the class, you do fine in college. Apply for more scholarships; you have no idea how handy they will be. Paying for school wont be easy. Also, remember one thing. Go to the school you want to, now where everyone else wants so. Apply into your nursing program the first year, don't second guess yourself and your abilities.

Getting scholarships at my school seems to be one of the hardest things I have done. I am a straight A student, and yet all the scholarships I apply for, I never hear back. Also the food on campus is less than satisfactory; it is also a working progress.

Jenny

USD has the only Medical school in South Dakota. It has great Physical Therapy, Occupational Therapy, Dental Hygine, and Law School. USD also has the Dome which is known for its Dome Dogs and its the only enclosed Football stadium in South Dakota.

If I could go back to high school I would tell myself to try to learn more about english and take the college english course offered even if it was an hour befor actual school started. Also, I would tell myself to study more and take my ACT agian so i would qualify for more scholarships and not have to worry so much about money. One more thing I would do to prepare myself is that I would research what I need to do to become what i want to be. All the things that go into decididng a major and minor just knowing more about college and what it intailed.

I like to brag about the great friends that I have made. I also about all of the expansion that USD is doing and the great campus vibe. There is so much to do on Campus at any given day there is never a dull moment at USD, I love it!

Tiffany

Stay focused and make small and big goals that can be acheived. Make sure homework is turned in on time and the best way to pass a test is to study for it. If you do not understand something take advantage of the available resources to get help. There are a lot of things out there that are helpful. Make new friends but do not let that be more important than your school.

Someone who is goal oriented and would like to join a fraternity or sorority to make new friends because they also do many things to help the community.

I would brag about some of the professors I had, because even the courses I was not interested in were made easier and more fun to learn by a good professor. We also did a lot of interaction and real life activities that made the material easier to understand and remember.

Constance

Dear me as a high school senior, Keep your excitement and wonder about all there is to learn. You are right, the college experience only happens once. All those buildings, all those books, all those professors...they all exist so that you can learn. You will never have this much time, these few obligations, this much access to words and ideas again. Take advantage of every moment. Soak it all in. Stop into your professors' offices and pick their brains. Get to know them as humans. Tell them how much you appreciate what they are giving to you. Spend oodles of time in the library...what a sanctuary. ..just to stroll through the aisles and read the titles is a heady experience. But you know all this. For this is how you explored your four years of college. You decided to be a scholar for this period of time even though your high school peers laughed and could only imagine you as the class clown. You ignored their teasing, and plunged into the world of ideas and it served you well. My advice for you? Make the exact same choices: pick the professors you love; bend the rules. It worked.

Sometimes I get the feeling that my alma mater is guilty of insular thinking. The leaders of my school need to do more reflection and find ways to connect with the rest of the state.

Andrea

If I could go back in time, I would tell myself to take more ap classes. Also I would advise myself to make more friends and be more outgoing during high school.

there isn't alot of parking, it was hard to find a parking spot in the dorms last year.

Donna

I think the most important thing about finding a college is that the parents need to let the kids pick what they want to do and where they want to go. I was somewhat pressured into going to a certain school and being in a particular major because it was the smart thing to do, but in the end I hated the school I went to and I am not staying in the same major. Parents, you need to be more focused on what will make your kid happy rather than how much money they will make in the future. And for the kids, when picking a school, make sure you like almost everything about the school. If you're not sure you want to go to a school don't go. You should either love the campus and atmosphere and attend that college/university or not. The fact that you are excited will help you to have a good experience. These are the things I believe will help parents and students find the right college and make the most of the college experience.

I think the best thing about the school was the students. The kids you met there were pretty cool, and it was a big enough campus that you didn't have to get placed into one clique or crowd. You could hang out with everybody.

The kind of person that should attend this school would be one who is social, a little more on the liberal side, artistic, and self motivated.

Codey

A smaller, friendly campus where every prof you have knows your name and makes every effort to help you learn what you need t...

A smaller, friendly campus where every prof you have knows your name and makes every effort to help you learn what you need to.

Even if you find a college you like immediatly keep looking. You may find one that you like more and apply to multiple places- don't just base it on how much a school costs. Many private schools may be more expensive but they also give larger financial aid packages. Find the one that you enjoy the most and visit it again on a private tour. I found the university i am attending to have older buildings and not as visually appealing at first sight but the quality of education and the teachers willingness to help are above and beyond, so make sure you look beyond first impressions. Many schools will offer help for freshman to meet people, an example being where i am attending they have a "first year experience" program where you meet people and they place you in the same classes and similar housing. Programs such as this make it much easier and less stressful to make friends and are a good thing to join if possible. Finally, enjoy your college experience and make it memorable. Find a healthy balance of study/friend time because both are equally important parts of a great college experience.

Small town so kids may interact at parties if unable to find something else to do.

Devon

I know about this school mainly for the theatre department for they have a great faculty and program

I would say look for a program that when you walk into the department, you feel comfortable. Also, be friendly with people, even if you share completely different views, they could always turn out to be a great friend.

Wish they supported the arts as much at sports for the arts do very well while the sports is so-so

Maegan

Focus on what's important to you and try new things to help yourself. It may surprise you what you are capable of

Some people feel comfortable in large universities with vast student populations. Others, are at home among a small school where they can feel at home with a smaller community of students. To make this decision is entirely personal, both are great choices. If a student is involved in activities in the larger school it is easier for him or her to meet people than if not involved in anything. Smaller schools allow people to become acquainted more easily outside the classroom or activities office. In both situations it is still a great idea to be involved somehow. Whatever a persons interests are it is almost guarenteed that there is something that will fit naturally. Honestly, to be successful, I recommend actually studying. It may be a new concept but if any idea of success is being fostered, it may help. Also, to parents, while your child is in college is when they are growing up. It will be easiest on the relationship to keep this in mind and try your hardest not to treat them the same way you did in middle school. :D

USD is stereotypically a conservative mid-western college. The majority of the students that attend here are caucasion although there is no problem with ethnic diversity. Anyone who puts themselves out there is accepted and will have a blast.

University of South Dakota administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.