Vermillion, SD
University of South Dakota

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend University of South Dakota

Danielle

My classmates are welcoming, intelligent, and fun.

My classmates are welcoming, intelligent, and fun.

Determine before college what you believe is important. Then keep focused on your goals but look at your future with an open mind because you will learn so much! Parents give your children room to breathe but be there for them when they need you...which will be often.

A person that doesn't like to learn.

Evan

Fun, well-educated individuals

Fun, well-educated individuals

Find the place that is right for YOU! Do not base your decision on friends, relatives, or other outside pressures. Choose the place that feels right to you in your heart and that you can feel comfortable with. College really is a once in a lifetime experience and you just need to be yourself, get involved, meet as many people as you can, study and workhard, have fun, and enjoy it without any regrets.

Undriven, close-minded individuals

Christopher

I wish I had a better understanding of application processes to continue submitting scholarship applications.

The construction projects are currently annoying but will enhance the campus 1000-fold when they're done.

Allison

(100 word minimum..one sentence. That's a bit confusing.) My classmates aren't necessarily open, nor are they understanding. They just keep their mouths shut on a lot of issues because that's how most of them were raised, from what I've gathered. Obviously, this is a generalization. Despite this, classmates are pretty good at helping one another out, and they are pretty respectful. They don't typically give each other or professors too hard of a time. Most of them are pretty focused, whether it's career stuff, job stuff, art or music stuff, or sport stuff.

There's a lot to say when it comes to finding the right college and making the most of time you've got. More than anything, I think it is important for parent's to just be supportive in the most general sense of the word. Just be proud of what your children are trying to do. They are about to take a big leap into the unknown. Also, college is not for everyone, so please try to respect that decision as well. Potential students, it's very important for you to stay open-minded. Remember that we seldom get things right the first time, and each time this occurs we learn invaluable life lesson. For example, most of us freak out when selecting a college to apply to or attend. We want it to be that "right" or "perfect" college. Well, after three years in college I can tell you that that doesn't exist. My university is by no means "perfect", but I've made lifelong friends, I'm traveling to Europe with my school, and my self-esteem is at an all-time high. This being said, imperfections can be beautiful things. Have fun and be yourself.

The worst thing is that it is not very diverse or liberal. It is a white bread school. Religiously, most have some kind fo a christian affiliation, which is fine, it's just not very diverse, and the people tend to be pretty judgmental at times. For example, abortion and gay marriage/homosexuality in general are big issues here, which they are anywhere, but many of the students are in opposition, which I find odd as college students should generally be more informed/educated on these topics. They should know better and strive for social change. Many fight for nomalcy.

Melissa

This school is a lot more liberal and accepting of differences than the other schools that I considered.

The size of the school you want to attend is very important when it comes to your success in school. If you go to a school that is too big you might begin to feel lost in the crowd and depressed. A school that is too small could have you feeling secluded. Figure out how you learn best and what you're comfortable with and base your decision on that. Remember, college is about learning, but you have to be happy with your life to be truly successful.

I wish I had known what I wanted to do with my life.

Timothy

The availibility of the faculty for help is hands down the most unique aspect of my school. The teachers are genuinely excited about helping you outside the classroom. If they have free moments to help, they will bend over backwards to help out! I have learned so much more by going to my teachers for help outside of class.

Get involved!!!!!!!! Ask lots of questions about all aspect of the university when you are looking around. Smaller class sizes are generally better, because there is a better chance of one-on-one learning. For those that have selected a school, the more involved in activities, the more you will get out of college. College is what you make of it, so I say get involved and get your monies worth out of the school. It is easier to make friends the more involved you are because you are in place with others that share the same interests. It makes the high school/college adjustment so much smoother knowing you are not the only one having to go through it. Good Luck and always look on the bright side of life!!!

I would have to say getting through the financial aid fiasco. When you are on top of it its wonderful, but if you wait till the last minute of have any complications from it, you could be hurting for a while. It almost always works itself out in the end.

Mikala

Selecting the right college is a difficult thing. I would suggest examining what is important to yourself or child; family being close by to visit on weekends, friends, acedemics, sports, clubs or relationships. Then based on what is the most important go by that. Don't go to a school based solely on one of your top priorities but of the combination of them. Also, make sure the college you choose has your major AND second choice, minds change a lot during the school year. Most importantly choose the school where you think you will make the most fond memories and where you or your child with excel in all aspects of life.

The campus advisors for most areas are somewhat difficult to relate with.

Randal

The size of the campus lets one walk to any class within 15 minutes; yet, the campus has a large student body with many facilities to accommodate. Other school were often too large geographically to let you take any class without worrying about getting there are time; some other schools were too small and it felt as if they did not have as much funding for facilities or professional professors.

You never know for sure until you're already enrolld but. . .go vist, get orientated and take the tour! Find a college with good facilities, especially in your area of interest. Ask LOTS of questions and get your guide's opinions . If you have the opportunity, go and talk to professors; they?re the reason you?re going to college after all. After you pick a college or university the next step will be making the most of the experience. My advice to freshmen is, ?Don?t forget to study," have fun with friends later. Procrastination skills need not be honed too early in the college career. Make sure you?re getting what you pay for first, you?ll be glad you did. Then, after studying up a storm, don?t forget to leave your dorm room door open. This is your free ticket to making friends. Other than that, just be friendly and be yourself. As for classroom etiquette, don?t be afraid to ask questions. On the flip side of the inquisitive-student-coin, don?t badger the teacher while they?re trying to teach; use the professor?s office hours. Lastly, have fun!

It is a mid-size school that places a strong emphasis on diversity even though diversity may be harder to find than in other areas of the US. The dorms are great for first and second year students because they allow for the greatest opportunities at a diverse social life. The bars are big, but only if you're 21 or older. There are almost too many student organizations out there to try, but get out and try at least three and I'm sure you'll find one you love.

Tracy

The first piece of advice I would give to parents and students goes against the grain of what all college recruiters tell incoming students: do NOT begin the college years undecided. I wasted an entire year of my life and tuition money taking generals that were not necessarily needed for the major I eventually chose. I would also advise students to be 100% sure they want to go the distance from home that they are going. My first college was six hours away from home and it was hard at times for me to not be with my friends and family back home. The third piece of advice I would share is a common piece, yet essential: get involved! This is the perfect way to meet friends and gain contacts for endeavors later in life. And last but not least, the best job I have ever had - so far - was my job working the desk in a residence hall. I would advise anyone looking for an on-campus job to look to the residence halls. I interacted with students, made friends for life, and got paid to do my homework.

The worst thing about my school is that I feel my academic program is too easy. My time spent in class could easily be cut in half by eliminating the pointless group activities we are assigned to do. I have a 4.0 and seldom did homework. When I transferred to this school I was also given the run-around when I was trying to get all of my credits transferred. Also, because of the small size of the school and the town, drinking alcohol is almost a daily habit among many students.

A person who attends this school should be a person who enjoys living in a small college community. Someone who enjoys living in a town that has one main shopping center, few restaurants, and sees people they know everywhere they go. A person who enjoys partying on the weekends and has a desire to be apart of a sorority or fraternity would also fit in well at this school.

University of South Dakota administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.