Vermillion, SD
University of South Dakota

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend University of South Dakota

Carolyne

Though a rather small town, USD is an extraordinary college with plenty of ways to get active. Plenty of sports and fine arts to attend, the class professors are always available, by email or office. There is an end of the year auction where you can win prizes by using points you've earned through the term by attending on-campus events. Because the town is small, many of the shops you may need to go to are well within distance of the campus. There are plenty of groups and events to embrace diversity, and it doesn't matter who you are and what your background is, USD is a friendly and open community that will make you feel welcome.

Maria
No Place Like Home

No Place Like Home

I love it here, it really feels like home to me. When you walk around campus and people smile and hold doors for you. There are plenty of opportunities for jobs and people are almost always available for help somewhere. The campus definitely has a homey feel to it.

Sydnee

The advice I would give my former high school self is the upmost importance of not procrastinating. I did a lot of procrastonating with a lot of things throughout my high school career and I think would have been more sucessful than I am now. Since I started college, I've tackled my procrastionation and I try to get my work done as soon as possible so I have time to do whatever I want after, and I save myself the stress of needing to get it done. Also I procrastonated a lot to get my college application in, but I feel like I rather needed the break. Another thing I would tell myself is to work harder in my last year so that I could have a better GPA to further my college career with even better scholarships.

The worst thing about my school is that its a 20 minute drive from my house. Usually the places I go in town are at maximum a 15 minute drive. Going 20 minutes too and from school is a hassle and a big use of my gas. In the end its all worth it and that's the worst thing I can think of about my school.

Since I'm going to the University of South Dakota through the University Center in Sioux Falls, the campus is way smaller than a normal college campus. The most frusterating thing about my school is not having enough space to sit where I want to do my work in between classes.

Austin

University of South Dakota is for anybody that is looking for a medium sized college that is known for its honors in Law, Business, Education and Medicine.

University of South Dakota is distinguishable from any other college in the state because it is the only law school and is also a very respectable Medical School. A lot of people tend to call it the University of Sex and Drugs, but I will say right now that it is a very clean campus for anybody that is looking for a creditable college.

If I were able to go back and talk to myself during my senior year of high school, I would tell myself two thing. The first thing I would have told myself would be not to slack of scholarships! The second thing that I would tell him would be not to focus on parties and the alcohol as much. The first two years of college consisted of screwing around on the weekends but after I got my associates in Radiology, I realized that working hard on my education was going to get me a lot farther than trying to find the next party to go to.

jacob

I would tell myself to take more time in making decisions and better prepare myslef for the future. I would tell myself to attempt to learn to study better and to stay focused when in school, it is very easy to become distracted and it is our job as students to continue to work our hardest throughout our college experience.

I wish I would have known about all the opportunities in place for students to succeed. We have so much ability as students but don't always realize the opportunities that we have.

The kind of people that shouldn't attend this school are people not interested in bettering themselves for the future. USD prepares students for obsticles and situations in their future.

Preston

The worst thing about USD would be its reputation. USD has been known for parties in surrounding states. I grew up in a town about 15 miles from Vermillion. I chose to go to the University of South Dakota not because of its reputation, but because of the quality of schooling that I could get from nowhere else. The reputation can be annoying at times, but I am proud to say I am a Yote. The faculty, staff, and students are overall very friendly and willing to help whenever you need it.

Anybody who is looking to further their education should attend USD. Here, we have major schools: Law School, College of Arts & Sciences, Business School, Education School, Medical School and the School of Fine Arts. There is something for everybody to participate in, regardless of your major. It is very affordable whether you live in state or out of state. The quality of learning that you get from the University of South Dakota can not be beat anywhere in the country for the same price.

Meghan

The University of South Dakota is a school that perfectly upholds the image of the Midwest. When a new student walks onto campus he or she is openly welcomed to the school. Everyone at the University says hello to one another and wears a friendly smile at every hour of the day. Every student feels welcome in any activity he or she joins and knows the University of South Dakota can easily be made home.

Looking back on my high school years I wish I could tell myself many things. For example; not to eat the school cafeteria's macaroni, there's no such thing as a hall pass, and never leave your gym clothes out of your locker while you shower. However, the most important lesson I wish I would have learned in high school is not to settle for anything, then someone tells you to give one hundred percent all the time, do it, and if you have a dream it requires hard work. All of these things come into play when you begin your college search. You must work hard to get through applications and scholarships but never settle for a school that is not what you want. Next, when you get to school remember that although it is important to make friends and memories that last a lifetime, you are ultimately in college to recieve your degree and set yourself up for a life of success. Adjusting to college can be difficult but if you put in hardwork and don't settle for anything less than success, your school will be the perfect fit for you.

On my first day at the University of South Dakota I was surrounded with posters and flyers from different clubs and organizations trying to recruit freshmen to join. Although this was a nice way to enter my freshmen year, I also felt very overwhelmed. What I wish I would have realized at this time was that it's not necessary to join every activity that you are asked to join. It is important to put your passions before your social status. Keep your eye on the prize, and work towards your degree, not popularity.

Audra

I love it. It's homey and cute. The people are nice, and it's nice living in a small town for once. I wouldn't want to live there after I graduate though. There aren't many jobs available. I wouldn't have wanted to go to a different university. Go yotes!

A lot of cowboys and hicks. but it's easy to find other groups that aren't those types of people

Campus Activities Board SERVE Games Club

Mostly white kids. The minorities stay within their ethnic circles, which is a shame.

They aren't as challenging as I would like, but I'm only in 100 levels right now. I hope it gets harder. I don't want my degree to be a joke to future employers.

Austin

Most of my classmates here at USD are the best kind of people that you want to know, they are friendly, smart, kind, and are always willing to help you out if you need it.

Austin, one of the main things that you need to do is to start filling out scholarship applications, you will need money in the future, scholarships are a great way to get that for what you will need in school. Another thing that you will need to work on is your problem with procrastination. Yo will not always want to be staying up until three in the morning typing up essays that are due the next day, even though you have had them assigned for a few weeks. Just get everything done! Also be just out going as you are now. If you keep being the guy you are now you will go far!

I think the best thing about our school is how professional the members of the faculty are. In all of my classes I have learned a lot about what it is like out there in the "real world". I find this really important especially how it pertains to my field as becoming an actor.

McKayla

If I could go back in time and talk to myself about what I know now about college, I would tell myself to not procrastinate, to not be afraid to meet new people, and to keep your door open on floor of where you are living. Meeting new people in the first couple of weeks is super important because those people will most likely be your friends for the rest of time, or at least while you are living on that floor. Another tip would be to not talk about anyone behind their back. You might think that you can trust that person, but if it puts them ahead with that friend you are talking about, then they will share that information and it will put you in bad terms with that friend. It is not worth it. But overall, just remember to have fun, and grades are important, but the people you meet will impact you for the rest of your life.

The best thing here at USD is the class size. I like having smaller classes because then you get to work closer to the teacher and have a closer realtionship with them, so when you have a question about something, you feel comfortable going to them and then they also know your name. Also another nice thing is if the class is a larger lecture hall, then there is a teacher's aid that you can go to for extra help, and they help reteach lessons you have questions on.

The most frustrating thing about the University of South Dakota is that the food options are very minimal. In the commons area, it is almost the same food for every meal. Also they do not serve very much fruit or healthy food choices.

University of South Dakota administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.