Vermillion, SD
University of South Dakota

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend University of South Dakota

It has the classic college look with a quaint town.

It has the classic college look with a quaint town.

As a current working professional running the Career Center at a high school, I help hopeful seniors with college choice, scholarships, part-time jobs, and financial responsibility. My previous, teenage self was not so qualified. I was a first generation college bound student who had inflated ideas of my own capabilites. I was going to be a neonatal surgeon just because it sounded good. The truth is, I was much better at delving into a philosophical discussion and writing short stories and poetry, and though interested, I had my limits with the hard sciences. Knowing all of this now, I would take a very long time to discuss ego and its relatedness to fiscal responsibility and academic choice. I would have steered myself in a more artistic direction than that of the hard sciences, though I do believe personal study in the sciences is incredibly important.

The health related academic flexibility. I found out I had a very bad allergy to something in the area. I could not afford to go through all the doctors to find out precisely what it was, but I had chronic bronchitis and I was on high dose steroids for almost three years and I do not smoke. I had a very hard time with advisors, professors, and administrators to understand and work with me and my condition. After leaving the college, I was able to get off medication and I am no longer chronically ill.

Alyssa

Small town affordable college, great for an undergradaute degree.

Small town affordable college, great for an undergradaute degree.

During my junior year of high school my then boyfriend raped as he thought I slept. I told absolutely no one. My family did not know, my group of friends did not know. When I went off to college, I was pulled from the order and schedule that had kept my trauma pushed down. Suddenly, I had an excessive amount of time, during which I spent lost in my confused and painful thoughts. My undergraduate years were some of the worst years of my life. It was not because of the college I attended or leaving home. It was because I did not know there was support for me, that there were options for counseling, that my family and friends cared deeply for me. If I could go back to high school me, I would tell myself to be brave, strong and to not isolate myself. To seek help right then and there and to speak up about what had been done to me. I would tell myself things will get better and to not give up. For me, college was not about getting a degree, it was rediscovering myself and forging ahead as a new, stronger version of me.

Worst thing about the school was the lack of diversity and the fact that Greek life pretty much ruled the campus. It is frustrated to want to join an organization only to find it is completely made up of Greek students would are very cliquey.

Kylie

USD is full of school spirit. It is small enough where you know others but big enough that you are your own person. USD offers all of its students to be themselves and to be accepted as who they are.

I would tell myself to not stress the little things. A B is not as terrible as you might think it is. Sometimes a movie night is more important than studying for a quiz. Professors are also not as scary to talk to as you expect them to be, they are also very helpful and willing to do what they can to help you succeed.

Getting firm help with advising for the first year and a half or until criteria is met to get a dept. advisor. Financial aid is almost non existant. No matter who you try to contact, its a round about situation before getting to talk to anyone.

The University of South Dakota is a very accomodating place where the people are friendly and the sense of community is great...

If I could go back in time, I would tell myself this: Don't fear the coming change keep you from feeling excited. You're going off on your own, and you don't know anybody where you're going, so it's ok to feel scared! In fact, you won't be the only person who feels that way. Be open to meeting new people. Attend the first few meetings of the student organizations that interest you. You will meet a lot of like-minded people that way. Be willing to experience new things and change some of your opinions. However, remember who you are at your core and hold on to that person. The biggest piece of advise I can give you is to prepare yourself for strong friendships. Throughout your childhood you have made and lost friends, and you've accepted that as a part of life. But this is the place where you'll meet the people you'll be connected to for a very long lime. Open your heart to them and you'll be surprised how willing they'll be to enter.

You'd enjoy USD if you are looking for the University experience, but still want the sense of community you'd get from a small town.

John

Being South Dakota's flagship university, and our outstanding business school.

Being South Dakota's flagship university, and our outstanding business school.

The quality to size ration. Professors are incredibly good at what they do and provide amazing opportunities for students who seek them out. This quality of education in a relativly small environment is ideal.

Traci

There is a variety from people who don't really care to people who want to change the world in their career. As an honors students, a lot of my classmates are very driven which is even more encouraging to me.

All of those things that you've always depended on your parents for, such as help with banking, finances, purchasing certain products, insurance, etc, continue to learn more about them. Ask your parents to teach you in addition to helping you and do some research on your own. Some of the activities that you are not worried about at all, may be slightly different when you're out on your own, so be prepared. Also, never EVER act differently than who you are in order to impress or satisfy anyone. You are a beautiful and inspiring person and you deserve to be exactly that. Take courage!

If you really enjoy big cities and huge college campuses, you might not enjoy USD that much because while being large for the state, it still has a pretty small-town feel to it.

I would have told myself to find as many scholarships as possible. Please don't give up again because now that you've started this terrible debt, you're going to struggle to pay for it for many years. Even though you still have received a scholarship after hundreds of application, don't give up!!

I think that the University of South Dakota's library is one of the best things on campus. I have been there all day and completed all of my homework with the help of the third floors silent policy.

The worst thing about our school would be the unhealthy food they provide to the students. They hardly have a varities of fruts and vegtables and they service the same food every day. It's very tired some and I was forcused to purchase a meal plan because I live in a dorm.

Austin

Due to the fact that I attend the USD through the University Center in Sioux Falls, I have come into contact with many indivdiuals of all age groups and walks of life. Many of the individuals that I have met are concerned with getting a degree and bettering themselves. Classes run smoothly and tend to be a mix of lecture and classroom discussions. I have always noticed on how keen everyone is to staying respectful and being as opened minded as possible durring debates, it helps to create a feeling of intelectual community, allowing for maximum learning to be done.

I would tell myself to continue working hard, and staying on track, but I would tell myself that it's ok to have a little fun. I would recognize that I worked too hard between my jobs and school durring highschool, and I would encourage myself to make more friends, attend a couple parties, and live while surrounded by so many familiar people. I thought highschool would last forever, you never think its going to end, then it does, and it hits some people hard. I would tell myself to have a little fun, because once those people are gone, you hardly ever see or hear from any of them again. Although I completed several AP courses, I would also advise myself to take a couple more, going into college with some credits earned deffinitley doesn't hurt a guy, It could allow for me to finish college a little early, or atleast I could have saved myself some money.

Because I attend USD through the University Center in Sioux Falls, I have noticed that it is setup for the purpose of higher-learning and research, no more and no less. This is a great fit for any indivdual who feels like earning a college degree, while staying in or around Sioux Falls (South Dakota's largest city). There are indivduals fresh out of highschool here, all the way to people in their fifties who have decided to go back to school. There is really no criteria for a student, at UC everyone seems to fit in.

Traci

We are known for our active Greek Life and spirit of volunteerism, as well as our Medical and Law schools.

I would give myself both practical school-related advice, AND advice on life in general. First of all, dealing with school, I would tell myself to always put my school work first. The social life and many friends that you will make at college will be tempting and time-consuming, but remember why you pay to attend the school, to get high grades and a well-placed career. Dealing with my 'position' in life while at college, I would tell myself to truly stick to being myself. As cliche as it sounds, it is so easy to lose yourself in others' opinions of who you should be. And thirdly, my advice to myself would be to simply live a fun life, because you most likely won't relive these college years again.

I brag about our beautiful campus, our food, and the overall social life!

University of South Dakota administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.