Vermillion, SD
University of South Dakota

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend University of South Dakota

A school that has great faculty that encourage students to do their best and encourage students to use their office hours for any questions.

My advice would be to work on study skills. The first semester showed me that I hadn't had very good studying skills. My GPA was a 2.9 which made me so frustrated because I was so used to being on the honor roll in high school. After being so upset about my GPA, I decided that my goal for the second semester was to achieve straight A's. That second semester I used some study skills that I had learned from my Applied Psychology class. Once I started to incorporate some of the skills to my studying, I was able to achieve my goal and felt that I was back on track and got my GPA up to a 3.24. This also got me on the Dean's List for the semester which made my family and me very proud. I just wish that I would have been able to start those skills earlier but unfortunately I had never needed them in high school, so working on study skills in high school would be my advice to my high school self.

How to study because during high school I slid through the classes without having to open a book but when I first got to college I found out that not studying was not going to get me very far.

seth

The University of South Dakota offers a high-value education. Where as other schools may spend more on advertising, name recognition, or aggressive recruitment, USD chooses to invest our tuition wisely, by maintaining a top-notch staff of educators and a unique campus environment. These efforts have culminated in the University being named one of the nations best value schools by the Princeton Review. There is also a strong pedigree of excellence here at USD, and you can't help but to feel proud of your school when you cruise into town on University road, with the enormous Dakota Dome looming to your right and the pearly white top of Old Main peeking out above the treeline ahead. It's truly a magical place, with modern buildings, bordering on works of art, interspersed with the beautifully upheld brick and mortar buildings that have housed students for the past 150 years. In response to the rest of your questions, I'll try to be as concise as possible, as I'm not sure what type of details are expected or appreciated. The U. has a population that rivals the rest of Vermillion combined. With roughly 10,000 students and 10,000 citizens, Vermillion can certainly be described as a "college town." Most often while on campus, I can be found at the ID Weeks library, either working at the reference desk or working on homework. Another popular hangout is the newly built Muenster University Center, which is a state-of-the-art facility affording students with ample room to form groups, watch tv, play billiards, grab a bite to eat, or just overall relax. Controversies are few and far between, here in Vermillion. School pride is the opposite- we're pretty proud of our athletes and students here at the U. Students often complain about the lack of parking on campus, and that tuition is too expensive. Having lived in several much larger cities and attempted to attend other institutions, I firmly believe that USD is doing fine in both departments.

What do students complain about most?

Boredom. Boredom is by far the most cited topic when people complain about Vermillion or the U. Unfortunately, many of our students feel as if they live in a bit of a bubble. There are many things to do in Yankton, Sioux City, and Sioux Falls, though, and wise students will head out of town once in a while to get a bit of culture or excitement when the summer months come around, especially.

USD students spend their time doing all sorts of activities. There are opportunities nearby for hiking, camping, golfing, disc-golfing, fishing, and cycling all within a couple of miles of Vermillion. The university also does a great job of bringing in live performers at least once a semester, and the student government truly works hard to make life easier for students during hectic times such as finals week by offering free breakfasts during late-night study sessions, among other things. In terms of dating, the campus seems to be split pretty evenly between men and women, but I might venture to say that the female population is a bit higher. Partying is large part of most students' social lives, and many people opt to drink underage or at house parties instead of downtown, where things truly get out of control during certain times of year. Dakota Days always brings about drunk hooligans, for example, and St. Patricks Day is no better.

Here in Vermillion, the population of USD isn't exactly diverse. In terms of how cliques form, I would venture to say that the athletes tend to stick together most. Other groups are somewhat less visible, but they exist. Brainy writer-types hang out at certain events and locations, while science/math students fill their time together in their own respective clubs and societies. There is also a fair amount of hipsters, that wear tight corduroys, smoke pot, and wear fedoras. They are harmless though.

Erica

I would tell myself not to be nervous. High school students going to a new school often forget that every other person in your college freshman class is also looking for friends, and for that reason they are not hard to find. Get to know the people in your first classes, for they could turn out to be lifelong friends. The petty drama in highschool will end and you will move forward to more exciting and life changing opportunities. Be open to changes and follow your interests, for you may discover that being a doctor does not thrill you as much as becoming an ecologist, saving the world's frogs. Your life will go incredible places if you let it.

I am in the honors program, and the advisors are useless. Also, they tell you it is no more work than without honors, and that is an outright lie. Other honors students would agree that this program is very tough. Especially on top of two majors and a job. Also, the financial aid and housing depts can be very frustrating to work with, depending on who you talk to. Some can be very helpful, but you must bother them until they answer you.

I am in the honors program, and the advisors are useless. Also, they tell you it is no more work than without honors, and that is an outright lie. Other honors students would agree that this program is very tough and seemingly pointless. Especially on top of two majors and a job. Also, the financial aid and housing depts can be very frustrating to work with, depending on who you talk to. Some can be very helpful, but you must bother them until they answer you.

Erika

WOW! If I could go back in time to my senior year in high school, I'd be forever a changed woman. There were so many opportunities that I could have taken advantage of but I didn't because I just wanted to graduate and just head on to college. I would definitely push myself to take more Advanced Placement classes and to get involved in more extracurricular activities. Although I did get a few awards at my graduation ceremony, I would have loved to had the honor of becoming a member of the National Honor Society. Now that I am in college and seeing that if I pushed myself a little further to do my best in school then I would have easily gotten a full ride scholarship to any college of my chouce.

My advice would be to investigate the universities' college life with its academic reputation. Further, pick a college that fits your personality.

The size of the schoool; its too large.

Kelsey

I would tell myself to take looking for a college seriously and to start studying harder. When I was looking for colleges I really didn't care and I just picked one for no reason. I should have taken it more seriously and looked for one that I was going to be really happy with. When I was in high school I never had to study for anything and I got a's. This first semester of college has kicked my butt. I was not ready to spend several hours studying and I didn't think I would have to apply myself as much as is required in college. I would have told myself to start studying then and not put it off until it's too late.

The best thing about my school is how accepting the people are. The people here are all really nice and they don't care about appearances or petti things like the people in high school did. The people here accept you for you and they don't trying to change you or outcast you because you're not their idea of perfect.

I wish I had taken the time to look at other colleges instead of rushing into it. I thought college was going to be a lot like high school and I could just choose one but it really did matter. I didn't know how big of a transition college would be.

Breanna

The University of South Dakota has a very liberal feel as well as a diverse student demographic based on the variety of majors that are offered. There is a blend of artistic and theatrical students as well as students in medicine or law programs, to psychology, education, and business majors. In my experience, the faculty is definitely helpful and you can tell how much the professors care about the education of their students. Although it is a large school, I think that the size still feels comfortable and there is room for individuals to shine. I will admit that, although rarely, the large number of students can be inconvenient in terms of waiting in line for certain resources (food/drinks, library computers/printers, student services, etc.). While on campus, I spend most of my time either in the Muenster University Center, when I feel like being social, or at the library to study and I also frequent the Wellness Center, which is fairly new and very nice. At USD, there is a lot of school pride and you can easily see it in the sports teams and within the sororities/fraternities. The town of Vermillion is small and quaint, but it has a unique atmosphere unlike other small towns in the area. It is also nice that the town completely revolves around the university and students are received quite well within the community. There are several stores including a Wal-Mart, a few fast food chains, and several local restaurants to enjoy, and if you get bored with all that there are two much bigger cities located less than an hour away! One downfall that many students will complain about is the cold winters...and I mean COLD! Otherwise, I think USD is a great place to be and I have had an amazing time so far.

Vermillion can easily be considered a ‘party town’ and many students drink on the weekends (and sometimes during the week) at house parties or downtown at the bars. I would say that there is an equal split between students that spend their time engaged strictly with academic activities, or at least constructive activities and those who party like a rock star every chance they get. If I am awake at 2 A.M. on a Tuesday, I can guarantee that I am working on homework for the next day’s class. ?If you wanted to do something besides drink on a Saturday night, there are usually a few bands playing at random locations, open-mike nights, two movie theatres that give student discounts, bowling, or a number of varying activities put on at the dorms and student centers (video games, arts and crafts, team games, etc.). Most students that want to stay connected or interact with others will leave their dorm doors open. Although I don’t live in the dorms anymore, I hear that almost everyone leaves their door open while they are there. Greek life is a huge deal on campus, with over 30 fraternities/sororities to become a part of and each one supporting a system of life-long friendships (I know from friends involved with several different Greek houses). Athletic events gain the most popularity of all campus activities, especially football, but theatre productions are definitely a must-see among the USD community. Depending on the guest speaker, there will be an influx of students attending the event, especially when it is mandatory for credit in a particular class. In my experience, I have found the guest speakers to be very interesting, especially when related to my field of study. Personally, I spend most of my time off campus working or hanging out with friends at some of the previously mentioned hang-outs. I met my closest friends not on campus, but through my job at a local restaurant. Most of my co-workers are students as well, but I would probably never have met them through classes alone. In fact, with the help of a friend from work, I started the Improv Club on campus last semester. I love being a part of something I am so interesting in and we always have so much fun with it. We meet once a week for a couple hours and basically just play improv games and learn about the craft from my co-founder, who teaches us what he knows about improv from his experience. Hopefully by the end of the year we will be ready to perform for an audience! It is one of my proudest accomplishments since I have been at USD and I have formed many important friendships since we started the group.

At USD, I feel that the majority of professors take initiative to get to know their students as well as the unique learning pace that each class will need within the semester. Every professor I’ve ever had has taken the time and effort to remember my name and connect with me, as well as the other students, over the subject matter and any questions I may have had. Personally, I like to make sure that I visit with each professor outside of class; I need the one-on-one attention to make sure I understand the subject. Also, the professors here take notice of who comes to office hours and who does not, and sometimes it can make all the difference when they evaluate final grades and you are sitting between an ‘A’ and a ‘B’. Just like high school, you will see some students who love to participate in class and others who do not speak a word unless forced to, or others who will resist participation and dismiss the importance of what is going on in class to look cool. I would say that you find less of this reluctance to participate once you’ve taken all of your general classes and move on to the classes directly associated with your field of study. Class sizes tend to decrease in the upper level classes and most people seem to realize the importance of in-class participation in regards to achieving success while attending school. Many students seem to be concerned about their personal levels of achievement and I feel that students here are very competitive. The amount of time spent studying really depends on the individual and their intended major/class. In the library or often in the commons, you will find a large number of students studying, especially during finals week! I am an English major specializing in Creative Writing, as well as a Theatre minor. In my experience at USD, the English department seems very well put together and the professors solidly know their subjects. They also offer opportunities such as writing workshops, guest writers, internships, and other job offers related to the field. Within the Theatre department, I am also offered many opportunities and just within the past semester the faculty within the department has helped me realize my potential as well as offered personal guidance on how to achieve my specific career goal. I feel like I am not just taught certain skills in these areas simply just to learn them, but that I am directly taught to use them in the job fields which they are related. The most unique class I have ever taken at USD was Introduction to Acting. The class dynamic was set up quite differently from that of other classes and the traditional learning atmosphere was strongly infused with creativity that pushed new boundaries for me. We started each class with yoga and tai chi warm-ups to relax ourselves and prepare for preforming with each other. The class size was less than half of all other classes I have taken and there was also a large trust factor amongst all the students participating within the class. My least favorite class would have to be Shakespeare, not to say I didn’t enjoy what I have learned from the class or that the teacher wasn’t great, but the difficulty of the class kept me up late nights and the amount of work that I had to do far surpassed that of my other classes. One of my favorite classes at USD was an American Literature class that was taught survey style with a large number of students. The professor did an amazing job of keeping the subject material interesting and also made many connections that pertain to modern day life and especially to the life of a college student. He used humor and common interests to encourage deep thoughts about what we had read that semester and he presented daily power-point presentations to remember the key concepts of his lectures. The subject was not necessarily interesting for me, but this professor found a way to entertain his students and make us find ways in which the works discussed were fascinating when closely examined.

Mindy

The best thing about the University of South Dakota is the interaction between professors and students. Though the school is of substantial size with a student population of 9000-10000, professors take an active interest in student involvement and well-being. This is especially true of difficult, upper-level courses that are important for the student's major (which also tend to be smaller sized classes). People have positive attitudes about the education one receives at USD, and react positively when I tell them about the school I attend. I spend most of my time on campus in Churchill-Haines (the Biology department), the library, and the Muenster University Center, which is the student center that was finished only a couple years ago. The recently renovated library is very spacious and provides vast access to technological resources for students; in addition, the student center has ongoing activities such as live entertainment and movie nights so there is always something to do. Though my favorite place to spend my free time is the newly finished Wellness Center, which houses numerous state-of-the art fitness machines, spacious courts and exercise studios, as well as a rock climbing wall. The best thing about the Wellness Center is that access to rock climbing, machines, court usage, and fitness classes are all free of charge to students. Because USD is a substantial size school located in a small town, there are just enough activities to qualify it as a "college town". Additionally, if you can't find what you're looking for in Vermillion, the town is centrally located between the cities of Sioux Falls, SD and Sioux City, IA. I have found the school's administration to be very helpful and prompt in assessing my academic and financial needs. Even though school pride isn't as robust and on display as other universities, students on campus regularly participate in tailgating and attending sporting events, as well as getting involved on campus. Out of all the experiences I'll remember from USD, the overall experience I'll take with me is that I felt like I always mattered as a student. Never once at this school have I felt like just another number, as I was always surrounded with faculty that truly cared about me and my education. While I've heard complaints about little things such as quality of the commons food, I don't regularly hear students complain about big issues that they have with this institution.

On our campus is one of the nation's oldest Music Museums, which contains various instruments from the 15th century to today. They house some very rare pianos and string instruments. In addition to viewing all of the instruments, you are actually able to listen to what each specific instrument you're looking at sounds like by wearing a multimedia player given to you at the museum entrance.

Describe the dorms.

The dorms at USD are a little small and kind of tight, but there's just enough room to share with your roommate. Though the rooms are small, the halls are kept very clean, and the most popular/largest dorms on campus also happen to be the newest. North Complex, which contains four freshman dorm halls, has been around for only 15 years, and contains a dining hall as well as a convenience store. Quite a bit of traffic goes through North Complex, and students generally keep their doors open to mingle with others on their floor/hall. After freshmen year, many students sign up to live in USD's newest dorms, Coyote Village. The complex has only been finished for a couple of years, and has an excellent location next to the Dakota Dome as well as the Wellness Center, and contains a convenience store, small movie theater, and coffee shop within the complex.

Why did you decide to go to this school?

I decided to go to this school because I had heard about it's fantastic reputation from several individuals ranging from those a few years older than me to those my parent's age. I wanted a school that I knew would provide me with the education I needed to get into professional school, and at an affordable tuition cost. But the ultimate reason I chose USD was because of how I felt talking to students and faculty during tours and orientation. I've always felt like a unique, valued individual at USD, and always felt that my advisors and professors genuinely cared about my education and well-being. I desired to attend a school where I wouldn't be considered just one of the masses, and I never felt that way at USD.

My experience with different racial groups on campus has been facilitated by my involvement with a group called Cultural Connections. It's an organization where American students from USD volunteer to spend time with other exchange students attending USD, in order to help them better adjust to life in the U.S. and South Dakota. Most of the students were from various Asian countries, including China, South Korea, Vietnam, as well as India and Nepal. Religious affiliations on campus include Campus Crusaders, an organization devoted to promoting Christianity. I have gained a very positive perspective of both of these racial and religious groups on campus, and found students to be very welcoming despite varying backgrounds. Students interested in pursuing computer science or agricultural degrees might feel out of place. Since USD doesn't offer very much for either of those majors, less students attend the school in pursuit of those interests. As far as dress is concerned, about half of the student body come to class wearing comfortable clothes such as sweatpants and sweatshirts. The students not wearing sweats can be found wearing jeans, sweaters, dresses and leggings, boots, flats, and occasionally heels among other combinations. Student interaction is relatively intermingled at USD, as student involvement in multiple organizations is common. Though fraternities and sororities tend to get "cliquey" and exclusive, the non-greek population tend to interact well with one another. Most of the students attending USD are from the midwest, with many coming from South Dakota, Nebraska, Iowa, North Dakota, and MInnesota. The financial background most prevalent of students at the school is middle class; a large percentage have parents in the working class and most require financial aid to pay for tuition. Students are moderately aware of politics, and groups such as College Democrats and College Republicans are active on campus. Students are predominantly center in their political opinions, as many come from conservative, right-winged parents, but become more liberal in political opinions once out on their own. Students don't necessarily talk about how much money they'll earn one day, but they do talk about occupations they see themselves in.

I have a very positive opinion of the high academic standards set at USD. Most, if not all of the professors (especially the ones in my major) know my name and remember characteristics about me and my academic performance very well. My favorite class at the school has been Mammalian Physiology. It's a fascinating course, and I learned a vast amount of useful information from a professor that was very good at teaching the information as well as passionate about the subject material. My least favorite class was probably Calculus, because of the way the class was taught and the means of evaluation used. Students study regularly, probably a couple hours a day and more on test weeks. Class participation is highly variable depending on the size and structure of the class, but attendance is generally pretty high and participation is common in smaller classes. Students are competitive, but try to remain modest about personal grades and class effort. The most unique classes I've taken were Psychology of Sexuality and Human Sexuality. Because one was a psychology course and the other an anthropology course, much of the information overlapped, but was taught with completely different approaches: a biological approach vs. a sociocultural approach to sexual behaviors. I'm a Biology major, and as a result spend a lot of time in the Biology department. I have done research with a few professors outside of class, and have come to know several of them very well. They're always more than willing to assist student needs outside of class, and have very flexible office hours that makes them quite approachable. The school's academic requirements I feel are very adequate, and require you to be exposed to a variety of academic fields while still preparing you enough in your field of choice. While some general classes are geared more towards getting you to improve your method of learning, I believe I will be prepared to move on into the job field after graduating from USD.

One association/organization that seems very important at USD (as compared to other schools in the surrounding area) is Greek life. There are several fraternities and sororities on campus, and pledging at the beginning of the school year is a big deal. Stereotypes that exist about greek life are that different houses become too cliquey, or isolate themselves from others. As a non-greek, I have several friends in fraternities and sororities, and have found that most members aren't as isolated as rumored to be. The same kind of cliquey stereotypes also holds true for athletes at USD. The general stereotype is that athletes pretty much keep to themselves and to others in their organization. This holds true for a few select sports, but often many athletes still branch out and get involved with other students and clubs on campus.

Erryn

The University of South Dakota is a great institution from its faculty, campus, students, and activities. USD is a smaller campus, which is great for getting to classes easily. No class is more than a ten minute walk when you live on campus. The town of Vermillion is also centered around the campus, making Walmart runs or going out to eat a quick and easy trip. Another great thing about a smaller campus is the comradery and friendliness of students. You can't walk across campus without seeing someone you know, making college a more comfortable place. Enrollment at USD is continuing to grow, but class sizes remain at a reasonable number. Professors are willing to spend one on one time with students and make college classes as pleasant as possible. The faculty here wants to help you, by providing study sessions called SIs, or supplemental instruction, teachers and teacher aids work with students to help improve students grades and studying experience. The biggest problem that students have is that Vermillion is a small town and students often leave for the weekends. Although Vermillion is a small town it is located 30 minutes from Sioux Falls and Sioux City, so a weekend away with your friends is always an option. However, there are plenty of students who stay on campus during weekends and the Munster University Center provides activities for students every weekend, including movie and game nights. My favorite part of USD is the new wellness center. The wellness center not only has a track, cardio equipment, free weights, strength training machines, the tallest rock climbing wall in South Dakota and three athletic courts, but USD also offers a range of exercise classes. Yoga, cardio sculpt, pilates, cycling, kisado (kickboxing), and sweatshop are only a few of the classes offered at the wellness center. The student center is one of my favorite places to go play a quick game of basketball, soccer, volleyball, or just get a good sweat. Overall, USD is an excellent instituion with great faculty, students, and opportunities.

Why did you decide to go to this school?

I was initially interested in attending the University of South Dakota when I spent a summer in the dorms for an athletics camp. The campus and town was easy to navigate and an overall comfortable place to be. When looking for colleges I considered costs, academics, and location. Although Vermillion is a very small town it is located between two big cities (Sioux City and Sioux Falls). The campus was also my favorite of all the colleges I visited. Campus is contained to a couple of blocks, which makes finding classes extremely easy. The academic merit was in my opinion the best in South Dakota for a liberal arts education. USD provided a variety of majors and minors as well as a long list of student organizations. The cost was also one of the best in South Dakota. Although tuition is continuing to rise, in comparison to other in state colleges USD remains fairly priced. It was a combination of the environment, educational opportunities, and finances that led me to choose the University of South Dakota.

The list of activites at the University of South Dakota seems endless, and not just student organizations. Living in the dorms is one of the greatest experiences of college at USD. As a freshman the dorms are a center for activity-- whether it's nerf gun wars, water balloon fights, or more tame activities such as cooking floor dinners, video game tournaments, movie nights or playing music. University housing provides a great environment for students. There are also a long list of university activities. Personally, I have decided to join Habitat for Humanity along with my intramural sports. Habitat for Humanity is a great activity for busy students. Meeting are only fifteen minutes every week and extra participation is always voluntary. Habitat for Humanity has events on campus such as spaghetti feeds, or Sleep Out to Help Out where members camp outside overnight to raise awareness and money for the homeless. The group also does community builds over the weekends with free lunches. The organization also provides Spring Break trips as an option where students can participate in builds in places such as New Orleans, Wyoming, Miami, etc. The trips aren't all work though: students participate in activities such as skiing, swimming, amusement parks, or whatever the particular trip location has to offer. Greek life has a large following at the University of South Dakota. Rush week is a great time to meet new people, check out the organizations, participate in activities, and eat some great free food. I chose not to become a sorority member. However, I'm very close with many sorority and fraternity members. You can still be involved with Greek life without actually joining. Sororities and fraternities hold a variety of events such as sand volleyball tournaments, pancake feeds, carnivals, etc. that are open to all USD students. Greek life is also involved in many philanthropic events around campus. Formals are also a tradition for Greek chapters, whether the members stay in town or travel, these events are always a great time. Fraternities and sororities are like small families on campus. However, you won't feel left out if you don't join. Greek members are greatly involved in campus life altogether and although you may not experience all the benefits of Greek life without joining, it's still possible to be involved in Greek life without the commitment. A great tradition that USD has every year is the Strollers show. The Strollers host the show providing comedic skits between performances. The performances consist of a dance/skit created by USD students. Anyone can join The Strollers, or MCs of the show. Performances are split up by grouping fraternity and sororities together, but independent students also have their own group so no one is left out. Students practice night and day to prepare for the show, but also have their own fun between practices. The show is held for three nights with a specific night for parents. The show is always hilarious, entertaining, and provides a friendly competition for both Greek and non Greek members to prove who can put on the best show. Whether you participate in the show or just come to watch, the Strollers Show is an event to look forward to every year.

Students at the University of South Dakota are extremely varied. We have students from many different ethnic and religious backgrounds. Athletes are being scouted from states such as Florida, Hawaii, California, and states all across the US. I've also met students from India, Germany, China, and Brazil. Although the majority of USD students Caucasian, it is not a noticable majority. Students of all types interact with one another. There is no such thing as a typical USD student. Some students are bookworms, athletes, musicians, philosophy enthusiasts, etc.Students tend to group together based more on interests than race, religion, or socio-economic class. In fact, socio-economic class is not a relevant factor at USD. Some students have a wealthy financial background, while others do not. However, it is not a relevant factor in student interactions. Although students of similar interests are more likely to interact, there are no social barriers based on interests. Fraternity and sorority members hang out with non-members, athletes hang out with journalism majors, democrats with republicans, and so on. The school has such a wide variety of beliefs, backgrounds, and interests that it is not segregated in any way. Students gravitate toward others with similar taste, which is natural, but you don't have to be part of a specific group to interact with those students.

The academics program at USD is great for students with a wide variety of majors. USD is a liberal arts college, so general classes are required. However, there are a multitude of options. USD has many art programs for drawing, painting, sculpting, etc.-- but for those less artistic students, the fine arts requirement can be filled with classes such as rock and roll appreciation, film appreciation, or art history. Personally, i chose rock and roll appreciation, which engaged my interest in the music scene of Vermillion as well. USD even offers a class to learn to play guitar for credit. Whether you are just starting out or want to improve your skills, this is a unique option that many students love. As a freshman I experienced a variety of classes math, English, philosophy, psychology, science, criminal justice. I always knew i wanted to be a teacher, but I had to decide what subject I wanted to teach. English and psychology are the two subjects that stuck. Currently I am an English education major with a minor in psychology. The education program at USD is excellent. As a sophomore I was already getting in class experience. I studied at the local middle and high school, working with struggling students, for my field experience class. In only my second year I was getting hands on experience that many students don't receive until their fourth year as student teachers. This experience reassured me that education was the right field for me. Many students spend four years studying to be teachers, get in the classroom, and realize the last four years have led up to a career that just isn't right. Early exposure to the education environment is one of the many benefits of the education program at USD. Advisers and teachers are always willing to give advice and help build student portfolios to prepare their students for their future careers. The professors in the English department have been extremely helpful. My main focus in English has always been writing. My professors are always willing to spend time out of class revising papers for their class as well as helping me prove the writing I produce outside of class. This interest in my writing outside of academics exemplifies the interest that faculty at the University of South Dakota have in student improvement. Ultimately, the University of South Dakota is an excellent place to obtain your degree, whether it's from the arts, science, education, Harvard accredited business school, or one of USD's many other majors.

A common stereotype of the students at the University of South Dakota is that we are a "party school." Like all colleges, students at USD love to have fun, but we also have a variety of other options. The university has over 120 clubs ranging from academics, philanthropy, intramurals, hobbies,and just about anything you can think of. USD also has a strong community base in Vermillion, with activities for students both on and off campus. Athletics is also a large interest at USD, whether you want to join a team or be a fan. USD football has moved into division one and reignited the rivalry with SDSU, whose first game will be November 17th, 2012. Opportunities are continuing to grow at USD both academically and recreationally. Although partying can be part of the college experience, it is only one of the many options that USD has to offer.

My overall opinion of my school is that it is excellent. People are very friendly and the professors are very nice. The campus is small so walking from end to end is very easy. There are many things taking place and it is very easy to become active. My favorite part is all the amazing friends who are like my USD family.

Why did you decide to go to this school?

I go to the University of South Dakota. I decided to go there because I wanted to commute and it was close to home. Now I go there because of the amazing friends I have.

As a person who is very active, I am very involved. Some big student groups are Crusaders for Christ aka CRU, 10%, AWOL, and over a hundred more. There is always something going on, on campus from the international student days to art student craft sale etc. I met my closest friends walking down the pathway my second day of school. They were upper class man and very accepting to me. The relationship I have with them is amazing because I have only known them a short while but we are very close.

The academics are good. All my professors are very friendly and cheerful and if you are in a smaller class they know everyone's name. Studying time depends on the individual but the library is the biggest library in South Dakota and is open most of the day. Students, depending on who they are, talk about a variety of subjects. I talk about many intellectual topics with my group of friends and also very silly topics.

The students at the University of South Dakota are very interesting and accepting. With many different groups such as CRU, a religious group, 10%, a group of LGBT and many others, and so many different groups it is easy to find your place and very hard not to feel accepted. Students can be seen in sweats and sweatshirts and everyone is very casual.

From what I have seen, the University of South Dakota does not have a lot of stereotypes. People are very easily accepted into all aspects of the college life and can very easily make lasting friendships.

University of South Dakota administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.