University of Southern California Top Questions

Tell us about the sports scene on campus.

Tiffany

Crazy for football!

Football. Enough said.

Marvin

USC is an active campus, be prepared to do a healthy amount of walking, own a bike, skateboard, scooter, etc. Our athletic facilities are being undergoing massive renovations. They are currently building a brand new humongous athletic facility for Intramurals, which should be completed by Fall 2012. The Intramural sports are extremely well organized and they extremely diverse. The PE classes offered are very schedule flexible and diverse as well. The main track is a great place to play a pickup game of soccer, football, frisbee, etc.

Marvin

USC is an active campus, be prepared to do a healthy amount of walking, own a bike, skateboard, scooter, etc. Our athletic facilities are being undergoing massive renovations. They are currently building a brand new humongous athletic facility for Intramurals, which should be completed by Fall 2012. The Intramural sports are extremely well organized and they extremely diverse. The PE classes offered are very schedule flexible and diverse as well.

Trenise

At USC, the football culture is HUGE. Every Saturday during the fall semester, students regularly don cardinal and gold gear to support to home team, the Trojans. It's such a big deal that ESPN frequently visits USC for College Game day which is an AMAZING experience! Even if you aren't a big football fan, you definitely get caught up in the excitement that permeates through the air on Game Day. Tailgating is also a big part of USC culture, where alumni and current students intermingle for beers and brats before games. The Coliseum--where the Trojans play, appropriately enough--is just across the street from 'SC, so students walk over for the games. En route to the stadium, it is tradition to walk down Trousdale Drive, the main artery that runs through campus, and kick "The Pole" for good luck. Also, because USC totes an array of well-known alumni like Marcus Allen, Frank Gifford, Keyshawn Johnson, Rodney Peete, etc. it is very common to see these guys standing on the sidelines and games. Basketball isn't as big at USC as football is, but students do get excited for the rivarly games against UCLA every season. Due to USC's proximity to Hollywood, it's not unusual to see big name athletes at this game as well. USC just built the Galen Center, the basketball gym, a few years ago, and many other exciting things happen here. For example, the 2011 Kid's Choice Awards, the rock band The Fray, the world premiere of High School Musical 3, and the NCAA Pac-10 Tournament have taken place here. Beyond the Varsity Sports, USC has an extensive Intramural SPorts league, where hundreds of students participate. Many fraternities have leagues on campus, bur non-greek affiliated students are welcome to participate as well. M Sports range from basketball, football, and soccer, to ultimate frisbee and rock climbing.

Kendall

Sports on the USC campus are HUGE. The football games by far the most well attended, but the athletes in general are revered. Some of the lesser known sports, like Water Polo and Girls Volleyball are actually so talented, and they have won a lot of titles for our school. We recruit some of the very best athletes and our records show it. As for the rest of the student body, there are a ton of sports to take advantage of on campus whether it be in interaurals or club sports. I have friends who play soccer, tennis, volleyball... even ultimate frisbee and rugby. If you aren't interested in playing a sport, we also have a great fitness center called the Lyon Center. You can do all sorts of things here, like play basketball, take a zumba or yoga class, or even just run on the treadmill.

Anna-Catherine

When I was applying to schools, I didn't consider whether or not a school had a good sports program to be important in making this decision, but it completely changes the atmosphere, and at USC this is a great thing. There is such Trojan pride around sports, especially football. Football is by far the biggest sport and really unites the campus. This year some of my best memories have been from football games, whether it was the nail-biter verse Stanford where we "fought on" into triple overtime even though they were predicted to beat us by a large margin, or our defeat of our cross-town rivals UCLA at the end of the season. Even students who were never football fans before, like me, get excited about football games, and game day is just such an exhilarating experience. Although football is the most popular sport, USC has so many sports programs that are just as fun to cheer on. Our Women's Volleyball Team was #1 in our Division this year and the Men's Water Polo Team has won the National Championship four years in a row. Overall, the sports at USC adds school spirit that the Trojans are known for.

Anna-Catherine

Bernadette

A sophomore tells us how Trojan Football season consumes student life at USC.

Bernadette

A USC senior tells us why he's proud to be a part of the Trojan Family.