University of Southern California Top Questions

Selamawit

You cannot do this alone.

Dear Andrew, You are in for one wild ride at the college of your dreams. It may seem sublime, but you need to realize that you are going to one of the most difficult schools in the nation. Remember that your school work comes first. You will be pressured to go to parties instead of studying for an exam or doing homework, but do not forget that it costs lots of money to go to college. You would not want to make our mom waste their money right? Just be sure to keep your priorities straight and be true to yourself. Do not try and impress the fraternity boys or try and be somebody you are not. You know who you are and you will be a success if you just stay on the right track. Always work hard, then party as a celebration of you success. P.S. Please do not get distracted by all the beautiful women on campus. Love always, Andrew Acosta

Christie

Dear my nervous, perfectionist, trembling High-School-Self, Do you know how beautiful you are? Do you know how much strenghth is balled up in your clumsy, awkward body (it's still beautiful!) that you're still growing in to? Why do you only say a tenth of the things you want to say? What are you so afraid of? You've worked hard. You've done enough. You are enough. You are about to pick up and move across the country and that's okay. You are going to stumble, you are going to miss your mom, you are going to regret this for a few weeks, you are going to cry yourself to sleep. And that is okay. This experience is going to grow you as a student, as a sister, as a daughter, as a friend and as an indivdual. You are going to be challenged and pushed around and not everyone is going to like you. And that is okay! You need to leave your hometown so that you can come back and see how much you've grown. Leave your footprints. Come back and see how far you've come. Love, ME!

Yushi

I would tell myself that while the future is scary, complacency is scarier. Colllege is the next step in my life that can take my abilities to another level, and I should fully embrace the unknown ahead.

Lisette

Lisette, Make sure to get involved in more school activities and build relationships through internships. Also, when looking at paying for school try not to take as many student loans because it will be debt that is not very easy to pay. You should start off by going to a junior college and complete your general eductaion classes first and then transfer to a more expensive University. No matter what you choose make sure to enjoy yourself and have fun. Don't worry so much about knowing what you want your career to be because you will figure that out with experience.

Alexa

Don’t be afraid if you don’t know what you want to study just yet. Specialization is overrated and so is the idea that everything you study or do has to have some sort of practical application. Being interesting, having a story to tell, is more valuable than being valedictorian. Don’t devalue personal relationships and don’t let others tell you who you are. Taking care of yourself doesn’t make you selfish. Drink water, keep breathing. You’re doing just fine.

From first hand experience, I know what it feels like to lie in bed awake for hours wondering if I’ll get accepted to a college. I understand that months before acceptance letters, all you and your friends can talk about is college. I remember the self doubt when everyone seems to be getting early acceptances, and you’re just waiting to get the first letter. But in hindsight, I realize that many high school seniors, including myself, make the mistake of wasting months worrying and stressing for something we can’t even help. These emotions won’t give us better chances of being accepted, and frankly, getting into your first choice isn’t as grand as we all make it out to be. Yes, college is important, but why are we going to college? It should be because we want to learn as much as we can, so that one day, we can help make the lives of those around us a little bit better. With that aspiration in mind, we shouldn’t waste time worrying. Instead, we should continually live with passion, and trust that wherever we end up, is where our journey to a better world begins.

Falon

I would tell myself to slow down, stop and smell the roses once in a while. There is no need to hurry through life, college is something that should be savored. Just as important as the classes you take, are the lessons you learn about life. College provides you with life expierence that nothing else can match. Use every opportunity to network and meet people with similar interests and goals. They might someday be your future co-worker, boss or even help you get that job you've always wanted. College is about so much more than a degree or a series of classes you take, you wont remember half of them. Once you leave you'll recall little about what you were taught in the classroom but you will treasure the people you met and the expierences that shape who you are as a person, so try and have as many of those expierences as possible. Dont rush them, don't overlook them and don't forget about them. When its all over you have a lifetime to work and grow in your career but you can never get back those 4 years, so live a little.

Kamaria

Treat your depression. The same things you did in high school won't work here, not ever.

Drew

Hindsight is 20/20.This has gradually become my favorite phrase. It begs the question, what if? What if I chose a cheaper school instead of the University of Southern California? Then I would not have as much debt that haunts me everyday. Then again, I would not have met the love of my life. What if I volunteered more at Rocket Propulsion Lab (RPL)? Then I probably would have gotten that prestigious job at SpaceX like my classmates who were in RPL. Then again, I would not have had time for the Christian club where I met all of my closest friends. The only “what if” that I do not have a “then again” for is: what if I majored in something sports related, which I actually enjoy, instead of Astronautical Engineering? Then I would not have wasted 8 semesters, an internship, and a year at an engineering firm. Then I would not have to go to graduate school for Physical Education and Sports Management and augment my mountain of student loans. So, if I could advise my high school senior self, I would say, “Go to USC, but choose a major based on your heart not on expectations.”

Arielle

If I could go back to senior year, I would tell myself to not stress so much about what I wanted to do in life. Going to college gives you so many options to consider, and there is plenty of time to figure out exactly what you want to do in the future. I would tell myself that instead of focuing energy on worrying about my career path, I should focus more energy on the present. I wish that I would have spent my final year in high school focusing on school work, extra curriculars, and loved ones instead of worrying myself sick about grad school and my career options.

Quinton

I would tell myself to apply for way more scholarships, especially given the school I chose. School costs a lot of money and I wish I had been applying for scholarships my first day of high school.

Dierra

It seems so easy now, but I would tell myself not to worry so much. Worring wastes so much time and energy and achives absolutely nothing but creating a negative aura around my life. My relationships with my friends and family suffered and could be so much smoother presently if I hadn't been an inssesant worry-wart in high school. I must now spend my time with my loved ones to show them how different- positive and easy going- I am, so that I can heal realtionships I injured with my past brusque "beacause I'm worried and stressed" attitude.

Jose

If I were to go back and talk to myself as a high school senior, I would tell myself to apply myself more in the classroom. I would say to get better grades to get in a better position for college. I would tell myself this because inn high school I was never the best student and due to this I didnt graduate with the rest of my friends. Coming out of high school, I would never think I would make it to the University of Southern California. Even though I made it, I wish that I could of done better in high school because I know that I had it in me but I didnt apply myself.

Alegra

College is an exciting time in any undergarduates life and there are so many things that could be said to help prepare you for what you are about to go through, but the main thing is very cliché: stay true to who you are and never change. This brand new world of freedom is full of temptation and of people, professors and ideas that are meant to exist to influence your thoughts, actions and tickle your intellect – remember your moral values and do not let yourself be easily swayed by people who mean to sneak you onto their side of the spectrum. The worst thing that you could do is let college change you. College is a time in your young life that should help you develop into the person that you are meant to be; here, you're supposed to discover things about yourself that you did not know existed, because of this be logical, but also follow your heart. Money may become an issue, as long as you follow your passions and do what you love and put 110{4a082faed443b016e84c6ea63012b481c58f64867aa2dc62fff66e22ad7dff6c} into everything you do, I can guarantee that in the end you will be happy and money will come.

You are about to embark on a journey that will become the best four years of your life. Make sure to join every club, take every interesting class you can and enjoy every single minute of it. The next four years will fly by!

I would tell my previous self that I should go to the college or university that I was in love with. It is important that you never settle in life as it is too short to waste on things that are “good enough.” I would tell myself to apply for on campus jobs during the summer between my graduation and first year in order to provide a supplemental income during the first year. I would tell myself that I need to have the confidence to face rejection in order to put myself out there. I would tell myself that people will invite me to parties, expecting me to drink and do drugs, and ask me support causes that I would not agree with, and that I could say no and rise above the peer pressure. That if I have confidence in my decisions and in my abilities that I will succeed.

Dominique

If I could go back in time to when I was a senior i would tell myself to prepare alot more then I did. College life is far from easy, it is the very first time when you are offically on your own and living your own life. At that very point and time you realize that it is all up to you. Al l the studying , laundry, food, cleaning, and work is all up to you. I would tell myself to believe in what all the highschool teachers were saying because they tell you time and time again that college professors are not going to be easy on you and they are 100 precent correct. Most importantly I would tell myself to work hard and love what I am doing with all the passion in the world, because its what you're doing for the rest of your life. Work hard for your dreams because they're all you've got!

Aimee

If I could tell my 18-year-old self anything, I'd tell her nothing. I would watch her make every mistake she's about to make, keep mum on every wrong choice, and let her do whatever she wanted for the next 4 years. I'd watch her switch her major 5 times, date the wrong guy, drink the jungle juice, take in more calories through coffee consumption than actual food, and sit back as she freaked out about it all. Then, after 3 and a half years, I'd watch her realize that she just spent the last 3 and a half years making a million terrible decisions. I won't tell my 18-year-old self what to do but I'll hope she makes every mistake she should, because those mistakes will teach her more than any tenured professor could. They'll teach her who she is. They'll teach her who it is she wishes never to be and who it is she wants to become. They will prepare her for the most fulfilling life. But I won't tell her that; I think I'll let her figure it out on her own.

Iain

Being an Resident Advisor, one thing I often encounter si that in college people appreciate hard work and talent more than in high school. People arent' a worried about imageand ore instead worried about making themselves and finding who they really want to be around. At a large school, one can equally find themselves lost or in the right place depending on how they are able to find the appriprate groups of people - primarily through activities and proxomity, to be around nd do stuff with. While the focus is on grades for high school, college gives you so much more flexability, often you can't focus on grades as much as you did in high school, spcially on many professional fields, if you're able to have more valuable experiences during your time in college. Depending on your school, many sterotypes about college aren't too far off for many schools, but whatever you're doing is a decision and you should be strong enough to make that decision once you reach college. In high school, many things were limited but at college you have more flexability to change environments, friends, and surroundings to your benefit or not.

Don't be deceived by smiling faces. Go to college. Get a good education. Find a good man who will treat you with love and respect. Wait until you're ready for children. Take care of your mother and father in old age. Raise children to respect their heritage and respect others, especially those less fortunate, that need help the most. Contribute to society in a positive way. Be active in volunteer work. Help your community. Be a positive role model for your family. Finally, be true to yourself.

They say college is a time to pursue your passions. Unfortunately, passion does not pay the bills. Passion does not put you in a position to help your family. Are you prepared to expend a lot of time and money only to be a professional waiter? If not, then carefully consider your major. Business/accounting is one of the greatest majors to pick. Few majors provide the kind of money and opportunities that entry level positions provide in business. Even with a bad economy, first year investment banking analysts make over $100,000 a year. Only the best, however, can be investment bankers. There is no adjustment period - hit the ground running the moment college begins. Look up fraternity rush dates well before school starts. It's important to be involved and to have a strong network. There is no better place to begin. Also be sure to familiarize yourself with the career center and start looking for internships immediately. That first internship won't necessarily be easy to find, so be prepared to accept anything. Finally, do you want a lot more money to be available for fun things? Then stop being lazy and apply for some freaking scholarships.

Do not limit yourself to just an undergraduate education. College has many exciting opportunities to offer. It is important to take advantage of all of those opportunities inside and outside of the classroom, but don't forget about the classroom. Just like you had to work hard and learn about who you were in high school, you will be challenged to do the same in college. This is the place where it is completely up to you to find a balance between working hard and having fun. It is an important lesson to learn and one that will serve you well for the rest of your life. Your future may end up completely different from what you thought it would be, so don't limit your future opportunities by letting your grades slip. By working hard during your four undergraduate years, you will make it easier to do anything you want in the future--like attending the graduate school of your choice. Don't be afraid to reach out for help if you need it. Be kind, be smart, and make sure you have some fun.

Everything happens for a reason.

Ishan

I would advise myself to explore the several financial opportunities ahead of time before college starts. Also, looking into every aspect of the institution would have been helpful.

Sammy

I could warn my high school self about procrastination or recommend that he organize his schedule so that he has no 8 AM class and enjoys his Fridays free, but he would figure that out on his own soon enough. Instead, I would advise him to step out of his comfort zone. My favorite moments of college thus far have resulted from thrusting myself into a new environment, such as nervously asking a girl to swing dance with no prior experience. Sure, I cringed when she winced after I clumsily stepped on her toes, but I am better for it. I gained confidence from conquering my fear and I even had fun doing it. I have also performed stand-up comedy at an open mic, taken a spontaneous weekend trip to the Grand Canyon, and played Quidditch with a floormate from Shanghai. Recently, I have started perusing Time Out: Los Angeles to find more uncomfortable environments to encounter. My high school self would recoil at the very thought of these types of situations, but I would encourage him not to just endure them, but to enjoy them because, in the end, he will wish that he could have experienced more.

Tony

You should not have stressed so much about which college you would eventually end up at. Talking to all my friends after coming back for winter break, each and every one of them have fallen in love with their respective schools and are having a great time. Also, grades are not everything. In the business world, it is all about who you know and the connections you have. While grades and test scores are a great indicator of your intelletual capabilities, they are by no means surefire ways to success in and after college. Accept who you are as a person and strive to accomplish goals that you specifically want to do. Don't let anyone tell you how to live your live, find what your passions are early on and pursue them. I know I have three and a half years left in college but I can already tell that those years are going to the greatest of my life. The best is yet to come so keep your head up. Everything works out at the end of the day. You learn more from your failures than your accomplishments. Fight On!

PERSISTENCE PAYS OFF There is a lot of talk about the affordability of college these days, but this is not a reason to assume you have to go into insurmountable debt to earn your degree. Financial resources are constantly given to students who put in the time and effort to seek out funding. More importantly, resources are available to the students who never stop looking. If I could do it all over again, I would incrementally pay down loan debt during college by constantly competing for private scholarships. Do not assume a full-time job will enable you to repay what you owe. I waited until after graduation to start paying back school loans. I nearly drowned because it was impossible to pay down the enormous debt on the salary I earned as a recent graduate. Signing a loan promissory note does not have to be the end of the story. While you still qualify as a student, put your hand out and ask for every bit of scholarship and grant funding you can find. Have no shame and remember that you will never know what you can get until you ask.

“Take your time!" Reflecting back on my high school years, senior year was by far, my best. Once the ladder was scaled, four hard years of work during high school, the leap from the diving board provided two options: making a smooth splash into a new pool, or plummeting straight down. I had all my ducks in a row senior year, so the leap taken was one that I felt comfortable and filled with excitement to do. I attended The American Musical and Dramatic Academy as a musical theater major. I completed a year of studies to find out that my focus had shifted towards the production side of entertainment. My family supported me to have multiple internships with acting management, commercial agency publicity, and NBC Universal casting. Real world experience enriched my awareness of what life after earning a degree in a formal setting would be like. I completed two years at Santa Monica College and prepared to transfer to a University. Fortunately, USC would be a perfect fit to my puzzle. The variety of my journey so far reassures me that advice I would give myself would be to “take my time.” This helps develop character.

Spencer

I would tell myself to not be wary of the change. I spent too much time trying to figure out where I would be most comfortable and the least "out of place" in college. I believe that the time I spent worrying about whether or not I could fit in took away from many opportunities that I had in front of me. Although this year I have discovered many activities I enjoy taking part in, I wish that I had taken advantage of these opportunities more quickly and not been so apprehensive to join in. I would also tell myself to continue to work as hard as I can. The academic transition from high school, or in my case, community college, is much more drastic than I anticipated when I began at USC. It took me too long to completely understand how much higher the level of academic competition is now in college and how many more doors are opened if I push myself to work as hard as I possibly can. The last thing I would tell myself is to grasp every opportunity possible, whether it be academic or social.

I would tell my high school self that everyone feels out of place and homesick during the first month or two of college, and that it's okay to feel that way. Feeling homesick doesn't mean you don't love college. It just means you're adjusting. It wasn't until second semester that my friends and I were able to look back and laugh that we were all feeling the exact same way, and were all hiding it from each other, terrified of anyone finding out we missed home. I would also tell myself that the friends you'll make in college will be well worth the fear you felt in the first few weeks.

The high school student I was and the graduate student I am today are completely different personalities and people. I don’t know if I would have been very receptive to any advice as a high school student because of my stubborn and crass nature. Conversely, I wouldn’t want to advise myself at that fragile time because I would have undoubtedly changed the path I lived through, possibly for worst. Any advice I would have given would have altered who I am today. In my life thus far, becoming successful has been entirely dependent on learning valuable lessons from my past mistakes. And if not for the mistakes made in high school, I wouldn’t have grown into the person I am currently. With that being noted, I would give myself little to no advice. I would, however, encourage myself to have stronger faith in my abilities, thoughts, and to reject the idea that I didn’t have any self worth. I’m confident that advice would be sufficient enough. Giving myself that little bit of encouragement would have served to improve my self esteem and prepare me for the rigors of life, from then onward.

Winnie

College isn't something to be afraid of. Now that I'm in college, I can truly say that I am having the best time of my life; my friends who constantly surround you push you to achieve things you never thought you could before purely because they want you to succeed. Don't get me wrong, college is a billion times harder than high school, but the one thing that makes it all worth it is the environment you're in. I stay up until 3AM because I want to understand the material, I want to pursue my dream, and I want to prove to myself that I am 100{4a082faed443b016e84c6ea63012b481c58f64867aa2dc62fff66e22ad7dff6c} capable of achieving my goals. And as an added bonus, everyone around you is doing the exact same thing; we all have different passions and goals, but we all have a similar drive to get to that finish line. College is a learning and growing process; you get what you make of it, so find your passion, find your drive, and only then can you take control of your life and lead yourself to find the best in you and make the most out of life.

If I could go back in time and talk to myself as a high school senior I would advice myself to take AP Biology online. I have always loved the sciences and now in college I am majoring in Human Biology, but going from high school to college science classes was a big transition. When I took my first biology class in USC I was not prepared for the class at all. I found it rather challenging and complicated, while other students that took AP Biology in high school passed the class with flying colors. I knew that if I would have taken AP Biology in high school I would have been better prepared and would have not struggled as much. I had to go through a whole semester to adjust to the college science classes, a semester that wasn't easy at all. I would always hear other students say how easy the class was because most of the things they learned were the same as AP Biology, but I couldn't compare this biology class to the biology class I took in highschool. I just told myself that STUDYING was the key to passing the class.

Angelica

I would definitely say learn how to cook easy/quick/cheap meals. Also, apply for a ton of scholarships so you don't have to worry about money while you're there. But look forward to it!

"Take a break and open your mind." That was the phrase teachers always told me in high school, but I never listened. Ironically, these are probably the words I would tell myself in retrospect. A problem that many high school seniors (including myself) have is hubris--we all think we know what's best for the world. Though this attitude is great and partially the reason why people in college are so exciting to be around, it is dangerous in that we start to shut out others. We would all like to think that we know what's best for everyone, but really the best step towards progress is cooperation. Yes, every college campus seems to have a million problems with it once you pass the "I'm in college!" stage, but that doesn't mean you can solve everything. Take into account others' views and take time to decide whether something is worth spending time and effort to change. If you decide it's not, that's alright. Go take a break and enjoy college before it passes. I have a feeling this ride's going faster than high school!

I'm not going to say the obvious things everybody else is going to tell you, like "it's hard to adjust to dorm life", "you'll be eaten alive in college classes so study hard", or even "just be yourself"; by avoiding those cliche words of advice I'm implying that you'll already have those things taken care of. What I think is most important is that you establish yourself as strong entity amongst the people you meet: your friends, your classmates, professors, everyone. That is, you should have a strong sense of who you are, and what you want others to see you as. If people remember you and your personality, they will be much more open to any ideas you present as well as be more likely to help you when you find yourself in difficult situations. Also, you should get yourself exposed to as many people as you can, to increase the chances of finding people who will further whatever motives you have. With so much competition out there, it helps to have a good block of people who can back you up and help you get where you want to be.

When I went to college, I had to handle the transition socially and academically. In high school, my friends were everything, but in college, I was forced to start all new relationships. It’s important not to panic or get discouraged about trying to meet new people and make connections, but remember that everyone is in the same situation. You will feel tempted to give in to just anyone, but do not settle. Make sure you choose friends who you can have fun with, but also who will make you a better person. Academically, my biggest regret is not studying for my first midterm. Naturally, I was not used to the heavy amount of material on one exam and did not understand the many hours necessary to dedicate to studying; I received an F on that first midterm. If I could go back and change one thing, I would study for that test. I learned that it is easier to just study from the beginning, rather than trying to catch up the entire semester. While the transition from high school to college is difficult, college is the time to grow and discover who you really are as a person.

Join a club of your interest and invest in it. Don't just study during your freshman year. It's good to have variety in your schedule.

Veronica

Dear Veronica, YOU MADE IT! It's your first day of high school! I know you are nervous so I have some advice for you. 1. Don't be afraid to try new things- Alright! You're in a classroom with kids who've played sports since birth. Don't be intimidated. They will support and help you! Reach out and try something new! 2. Listen to your heart- There's going to be a lot of options and choices to make. Be true to yourself and what you want. Only you can make you do or think something, so believe in who you are and you'll do great! 3. Enjoy every moment- These four years will go by fast! Make the most out of every moment despite the negatives. It will be hard sometimes but you are strong so enjoy! I know you'll work hard and achieve all you want to for college so take the time to enjoy high school. Be you and be happy! You have nothing to be worried about. Lastly, never forget you are truly loved. -Future You

Three golden rules for high school graduates to follow: You must take advantage of scholarships and grants that organizations give away constantly. I never took advantage of them, and I truly regret that now. It is also a must, that you get a job and have a source of income. With a new salary, you not only increase your net-worth, but you also gain appreciation of your possessions as well as a heightened sense of the value of a dollar. Before I got a job, I abused my parents’ money, but now I appreciate my possessions way more because I had to work hard for them. It is also a great feeling to treat yourself to some new items of clothing every once in a while. Lastly, live the college life to the fullest. It is a privilege that many kids your age do not have the opportunity to experience because of familial or economic drawbacks that prevent them from doing so. Venture out of your comfort zone and meet new friends. Have fun, but remember that this is also a time for you to build yourself so you can have a well-paying job in the future.

Allegra

Savor every minute of freshman year. Living on campus makes your first year different than any other year on campus, and while being an upperclassmen has its perks, there's nothing like being a freshman. USC focuses on giving first year students the best experience. Meet everyone, attend everything (school sponsored and otherwise). Take an interesting class pass/fail; you'll have time to floor it academically in the next three years. For now, just focus on having a great time.

Allegra

Edward

If you never take chances and push yourself towards your own limitations, you will never truly know just how far your success path may lead. Challenge yourself and keep striving towards new goals and you will find that your rewards will be endless. There may be days when you get up in the morning and things aren't the way you had hoped they would be, that’s life. There will be challenges to face and changes to make in your life, and it is up to you to accept them. Life throws curve balls at us and even though at the time it may be hard to believe when all feels lost, there is no fulfilling destination without a journey. Humans are scared of change by nature, and no one wants to take that unknown journey. Everyone desires the end result of that journey. However, if you acknowledge the normal fear associated with embarking on an unknown journey, you will be able to take the first step with a little more certainty that it will all work out. Challenges and changes will only help you find the dreams that you know are meant to come true for you.

Kipp

Assumptions regarding college as a high school student: there is no extra time in a week for those who wish to succeed. Be prepared to develop a discipline for the use of your time; keeping up is much easier when you don't get behind, do not procrastinate! Do not give in to peer pressure and fun; there will be much more fun to be had when you find a good career. Be aware your basic needs as Maslov's hierarchy of needs is absolutely correct. (i. e.) You must be at your peak if you want to stand out among the competition. Partying, and other poor habits will interfere with you reaching your full potential. All your decisions "will" shape your future, take one step at a time; then, your rewards will be forthcoming as you are in control of your destiny. Choose a college that will fulfil your needs, you may be the best investment you will ever make. Do not scrimp, find real world experts to guide your path as they share the benefits of their work. Explore all avenues regarding funding for your endeavor, including scholarship opportunities, like those offered by the experts at campus discovery.

JASON

Go after your dreams, the future is now. Don’t waste time thinking “what if” become yourself though your pursuits. If you have passion for something just go for it, grab the bull by the horns nothing will stop you once you start.

Irene

I would encourage myself to be curious and open minded. There is so much out there to discover - about myself, about people, about life. I would advise myself to look at my options and make good decisions, but do not be afraid of trying out something new. College is a period of time where people can discover new characteristics and aspects of themselves, so it's time to take the opportunities and run with them. Be social and kind to everyone. I'll meet great friends to build memories and many acquaintances to build a strong network. Although college can be stressful, it is also an awesome period of life. I would say to do everything with a smile on your face and always be humble. Be humble in your successes. Be humble in classroom. Be humble in your relationships. College is also a time when many things can happen - good and bad. Remember to forgive and love many.

Deidrhe

Stay strong and stay true to yourself; if I were presented with the opportunity to talk to the old me, these would be my words of wisdom. Having only experienced a semester of college, I have extensively grown and matured intellectually and psychologically. During finals week I received some very unfortunate news. My 24 year old sister had been diagnosed with cancer. This event proved to me that life can be hard and blunt and the way that you handle such situations can ultimately determine your success. College midterms and final exams may be hard but it is a precursor to real life experiences. It is important that you keep your goals in mind even if it seems you're not getting any further in achieving them. If you remain strong and stay true to yourself when presented with any obstacle you can only succeed. You only fail when you give up. Although I had to deal with my sister's condition, I also had to keep in mind that my education will determine my future. I had to stay strong for my sister's sake but I also had to stay true to myself by continuing my studies.

I would advise myself to listen to the advice given to all high school seniors about the college transition. I thought, as most did as seniors, that college life would not be difficult to adjust to, but it is a great change. The advice I received that was most applicable to me was regarding time management. Time in college is much less structured, creating the illusion of more free time. However, this open time should be used for studying and staying up on your classes. When you fall behind in a college class, it is much more difficult to catch up. Joining clubs is a great way to make friends with common interests and get a group of friends outside of those you live with. The most important piece of advice I could give myself is to make sure to relax with some regularity. It is easy to go crazy focusing on school and the work you need to do, but if you don't take a break from it, you will burn out. College is supposed to be enjoyable as well as difficult, so make sure you are enjoying what you are doing.