Evansville, IN
University of Southern Indiana

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend University of Southern Indiana

Amber

Since entering college, I have learned many things that have helped to transform me into the person I am today. All of the things that I have experienced will help me with my future. If I could take what I know now and go back and talk to my High school senior self, I would have some important things to talk about. First, I would tell myself to make sure to keep my sleeping habits from high school. As a high school senior, I had to be in class by 8:05am. I would say this because in college that can be very helpful. Being lazy and sleeping late will not work. You have to be efficient with time. Along with that, I would make sure that I tell myself to be prepared to study. In high school, I did not tend to study all that much because in my case it was not always necessary for me to do so in order to pass a test. During collage, I have learned that study is important in order to learn the material and pass the tests. It is very beneficial, and that is why I would tell that to myself.

It is very diverse. There are many international students studying here. Students come from a lot of different countries. They come from Europe, Asia, The Middle East, Africa, Latin America, etc. I enjoy being alble to meet so many people from different countries around the world. Also, they have clubs and programs that help American students and international students meet each other. This is something that I love about the University of Southern Indiana.

One thing that frustrates me is that they don't have very many classes that are only one day a week. I prefer one day a week classes rather than classes that are around three hours a day two days a week.

I think it is unique because it is small, but not too small. You get familiar with some students and get to know them.

If I could go back in time I think I would get myself to stay on top of my homework more. I struggled with that more than anything. As a senior, I did not want to motivate myself at all and do any of my work. So if I could go back in time I would be more motivated and do all of my homework and also fill out more scholarships.

The worst thing about my school would be the drive I have from my house to the school. It is not their fault though because I could live on campus, but choose to save money and not. Other than that I love USI.

Maryhannah

I love the campus because it's very clean, nice people, and everything seems to be updated; including new buildings and new technology. The main reason why I also chose this school is because it is in my hometown and it has a more reasonable tuition fee than the other schools I applied at. The university also has my major that I am interested in, which is InternationaL Studies. It even has a study abroad program to the country where I want to study at.

All throughout high school, I was one of those quieter students that only hung out with their small group of friends. If I could go back in time, I would tell myself to branch out more and talk to different people. Right now, I am a freshman in college and I'm still some what quiet and hang out with my small group of friends. I wish that I would've been able to learn those better communication skills in high school so that I would not have to repeat the same mistake. In high school, I also was a procrastinator and didn't use my time wisely, which would get me very stressed. I would've told myself to build those skills to use my time wisely, because in college I have more free time and I get to decide when I want to do my homework, which means it's easier for me to waste my time. Luckily, I have began to learn how to use my time better and also have each day planned out so I know when my free time is and when my study time is.

I don't really like the parking because students can only park in designated parking spots. It just takes a longer time to walk across the whole entire campus to a class when there's a parking lot right next to the building. I also enjoy the Loft, which is the food court, but it does get frustrating sometimes figuring out what I want to eat because everything is the same every day.

Ana

If I could go back give myself advice about college and the transition, I would tell myself to study more in my math and science classes. That no matter how easy it was for me then, I could be challenged later. I would tell myself not to put projects off until the last minute, even if I knew I would get an A or a B. I think the best advice I could give myself would be to grow up and accept the world for what it is, not to get caught up in all the drama and to focus more on my studies.

The atmosphere between students and faculty. You really get to know your professors and you can talk to them about your grades, other classes, worries and even as a friend.

The kind of person that should attend University of Southern Indiana is a student that truly wishes to succeed, though I would argue that, that is true for all universities. Though USI is a local university, it still has a pretty rigorous curicculum, so I would recomend students that are hard workers and are willing to give their all to their college education.

Catherine

My school is best known for its hospitality. Everyone there is extremely friendly and helpful, and most people I know there would give you the shirt off their back. I've met some great people there and have been helped out extraordinarily, so I would definitely point that out as a defining quality of USI.

I would advise myself to start planning out my finances then. My biggest struggle in college has been paying for it. I somehow have been able to find ways to cover my costs, whether it be delaying getting my books or cutting out classes, or emailing the university President. But I wish I would have started trying to save up money then, because it's a rough financial transition. I also would tell myself to participate in more extracurriculars because I would have been more scholarship-worthy had I not been so focused on academics. I really would just tell my high school self to try to think ahead more about money. I did somewhat, but definitely not enough.

A person who likes living in big cities and having the party atmosphere around them all the time shouldn't attend USI. USI is a very laid-back, friendly, responsible student body. Something like 85% of students there say they drink 1 drinks or less at parties. Evansville is definitely very small town like and a person who thrives on night life and social networking in their city shouldn't go to USI.

My classmates are, for the most part, nice and supportive individuals and I would like to keep in touch with most of them for a long time.

Take as much college credit as you can in high school. It is cheaper and easier. Study more so that you learn how to study better and learn how you learn best.

I think the worst thing about my school is the cost, but that isn't something I can change and it isn't one of the cheapest schools in Indiana. Though paying for school is hard.

Sara

I took a few classes about three years after I graduated high school and it wasnt as difficult as they hype it up to be. I would advise my high school senior self to suck up the drama that family was putting me through and atleast have enrolled in a community college atleast part time. Finding time to go to school as a single parent is alot more difficult and those four years of freedom could have been better spent getting an education. Classes are much more flexible time wise and just because you are required to take core classes that you dont think apply to your major doesnt mean the college is going to make you take advance core classes ex: taking business math instead of calculus for a human services degree. I would also advise myself that funding isnt that hard to come by even if your father wont give you his income information for your fafsa.

I would tell myself that slacking off as a senior is a horrible idea. No matter how tired you are of high school, you should keep up the hard work. Also, look around at several schools, not just one. Look into many, many scholarships and grants and apply to as many as possible because you will regret not doing so when you receive nothing from the two you actually did fill out. Next, don't end senior year on a bad note with your friends. It hurts very badly when you realize they don't miss you once you all move away from each other. Lastly, get involved and stay involved. Those are the memories that will last becasue they actually mean you made a difference or helped out in some way.

USI is not focused on a particular sport or activity. All clubs, organizations, and teams are treated with respect and are considered important aspects to the university. With over 70 clubs and organizations and several sports teams, USI has something for every student to get involved in. I think this is excellent. No student should feel out of place at USI; every student will be able to find something to join that he or she is interested in therefore will meet people with the same interests. While no one is pushed to get involved, I think everyone should be.

USI is an excellent school. They are truly focused on your educational needs. Definitely attend a campus tour before you start at USI. Also, if you ever have any questions, never hesitate to ask anyone; everyone is very friendly and willing to answer your questions. Freshman year is a big adjustment, but it is a blast! If you live close, still pay the extra money to live on campus; it is worth every penny to experience the slow transition of moving out and living on your own. Living on campus was the best decision I have made!

Tara

The University of Southern Indiana is probably best known for it growth, especially recently. New buildings and programs have consistently been established throughout the history of the school. These additions bring with them more opportunities and interests of prospective students as well as prospective staff which faciliates further progression.

If I could go back in time and talk to myself as a high school senior, I would advise myself to slow down, relax, enjoy, and appreciate the time with my friends and family. I tended to focus on outcomes rather than the "here and now" during that time. While that might generally be considered a positive attribute, I tended to hyper-focus on the details and get lost in the idea of hurying up to grow up rather than just enjoying the end of my carefree lifestyle supported by my parents. I wanted a car when I was sixteen years old. After discussing it with my father we decided that I would have to get a job and save money in order to buy the one I wanted. He said, "Are you sure you want to start working? Once you start, you can never stop." Well, I got a job and he was right. I have been focused on getting from point "A" to point "B" without really enjoying the experience of getting there.

The staff of the Social Work Department consists of very caring and warm people from the secretaries to the dean. They are always available to help in regard to academics but are also willing to help with personal matters when appropriate. Students tend to become very close with staff and the department begins to feel like a second home with mentors advising and encouraging their progress.

Katherine

If I could go back in time to be a high school senior, I would want to visit more colleges in general. I had one of the experiences of walking onto the campus of Southern Indiana and absolutely loving it before even entering any of the buildings. I wish I would have visited the other schools that I was excepted in. It would have helped me decide a choice much more acceptable to me if I took more time to compare all of the different colleges. I would look deeper than just what the education had to offer me and the size of the campus. I would look more into the facts of the lifestyle on the campus also. There is a lot I would do over if I was a college senior but I do not think that I would choose a different University.

I wish I would have known that most of the students are from Evansville so the campus is very bare on the weekends.

I would brag about the size of out library and the size of our dorm rooms. The library has 4 floors and computers for every student. Our dorm rooms are all the same and you do not have to pay extra for the suite style. It is two rooms, two baths, and a common room with a provided frige and furniture.

University of Southern Indiana administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.