Portland, ME
University of Southern Maine

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend University of Southern Maine

The most fantastic school that one will ever attend; filled with free spirits, amazing faculty, and kind people.

If I could give advice to myself as a high school senior, the most important thing that I would emphasise is to not be scared. Coming to college was quite a transition for me, and being in a new environment was a change coming from a high school in which I had known everyone since I was younger. The most important thing that I would say would be to be vocal, make new friends, and try to start your first year of college on a positive mindset. Never be afraid to ask questions, and never sweat the small stuff. College is hard, and there are many other people just like you that are dealing with the same problems. Finally, all I can say is become an active participant in your college community. Not only will you make friends, but you will also gain a level of authority that will help shape the person you may become after college. If not for having a positive social experience, then college can be hard to get through without positive support.

I wish that I had learned more about extra curricular activities that went on here when I first started to attend USM. I didn't join any student organization until I was a sophomore in college, and by then I still haven't made that many friends. I am very greatful for joining because I have made friendships that will last me a life time.

Chandra

I would encourage myself to look more deeply into what school I chose, as my last year's school was a horrible fit for me, and I ended up being miserable. Generally when I'm unhappy, I don't do too well in the school work department, and this had a bad effect on my grades last year, which was a huge waste of money that I don't have. Also, I would tell myself that closer to home is better, that way if I need a break I can have easy access to my friends from back home.

There are some smaller classes, but also larger lectures, which give you variety, especially if you don't want the professor targetting you (which sometimes they tend to do). If you like variety, then come here, there is city life AND rural life to choose from, although living in a dormis always in Gorham. Student apartments are available in Portland for the city dwellers.

There's not much to do on the weekends, especially since the majority of people go home.

Genna

It is a very difficult decision and your first choice might not be the right place for him/her and that IS ok. A lot of parents and students have a hard time admitting that where they thought they wanted to be may end up not being the right place. At first its hard because you think everyone you know knows and cares but in reality they just want you to be happy and comfortable where you are. Its a tough time but looking back I can say to others that its okay to take your time and figure it out, and not knowing right away is totally fine, you're in the same boat as most other kids, they just dont talk about it.

The amount of instate students who go home on the weekend.

When looking for the right college, my advice would be to follow your gut feeling. When you step on the a college campus, you'll know if it is the right one. Also, don't settle for the first one you look at, keep going and do a double check on if it really is the right one. As for making the most of your college experience, be out going and don't stay cooped up in your room. Wonder the halls of your dorms and say hi to everyone. Another big thing is don't feel like you need to drink just because a fair amount of do. You can go to parties, not drink, and still have fun, I did it my first year of school. College is a unique experience in which you only get to do once, so make the best of it and take advantage of all the great activites your school has to offer. Join a club, and bring a friend along with you id you want. College is all about keeping your head up, being positive about your choices and experiences, and finally figuring our who you are!

The best thing I consider about my school is the diversity of people. Everyone is extremely accepting and it is a really easy place to be yourself and fit in. I have not met one person who has had trouble finding a secure group of friends here. I think that speaks a lot about the type of people the school accepts.

The kind of person who shouldn't attend this school are people who are stuck up and are not into conserving the environment. The school has a big focus on beging green. Also a lot of people here are down to earth and the ones who come in that are not do have a harder time fitting in but from my experience, I found that they turn around and begin to understand.

Nick

I would reccomend that you talk to students that have been going there. They will have the best idea of what goes on and how the school really is. Websites and advisors and catalogs can give you all sorts of information about the school that your interested in, but only students can tell you what life is really like.

I wish i had known that the health fitness major was not an accredited major. The university is in the process of getting it accredited but it is not yet there. other than that i love my college, it is a great size and has been a great experience thus far.

this school is very good for many types of students. There are two campuses, one in the city of Portland, and one in the town of Gorham. This allows students to be in the city when they want, as well as getting away in more of a country setting.

Mindy

This school was the only decent business school in the state of Maine other than Thomas College. I chose this one because it's not isolated. Since it's in Portland, I can get around just fine. The area around Thomas College is basically deserted and unentertaining. USM is definitely not like that.

I have always told parents/students that it is really important for the student to know his/her learning, living, and socializing needs. Comparing a school with those needs of the student will definitely help. I have seen plenty of smart students leave or drop out because their needs in those areas were not met through this school. It also helps to have a good idea about what major he/she would like to get into. When I searched, I looked into the extra-curricular activities, location of the campus, and the quality of the School of Business. Going to orientations are extremely helpful. To get the most out of the college experience, I would get involved. Living on campus helps out a lot. I would join a club, a sport, go to shows, volunteer, or something. If you're not interested in that, then at least make on-campus friends and hang out with them. There are people who decided they didn't like the school because they went home every weekend, which doesn't help a student feel a part of a community. I would strive for a college and an experience that makes you feel at home.

People who want all of their classes to be on one campus should not go here. Most people have classes between the two major campuses. People who want easily-accessed assistance in either financial aid, registration, residential life, or what have you should not go here. I have found that going to those people are really a waste of your time for the most part.

William

The advice I would give would to be let go of your children when they go to college. They will make mistakes, but they will grow from them. I have found college to be the greatest experience of my life. Never before have I ever known who I am better. This experience of interaction on my own with all new people, in a new environment has lead to me blossoming as an artist, a writer and a scholar. When you chose a college, chose one in a town you have never been too, in a place far away, where the promise of new experience and adventure waits for you. It will be hard, but the education you receive from the university with the social evolution from your interpersonal life will help mold you into fully becoming who you are on the inside. When you get to college, make friends with the people sitting alone at tables, staring out the window while they eat. I found people who thought as I did at college, and for the first time, I felt welcomed to be myself. Choose a college for your degree, but choose a college for your person as well.

Though this may read contradictory to my top response, i assure you, i have good reason. People from small towns in rural maine should go to USM in portland to experience its diversity. Having been from a small town myself, i found that i grew so much in one year just living in the town of Portland.

matthew

Availiable and supportive, engaging and varied.

Availiable and supportive, engaging and varied.

Really consider state schools. The experience and qaulity is just as good as out of state schools and you save a lot of money! Finish college the first time. Just do it.

University of Southern Maine administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.