Portland, ME
University of Southern Maine

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend University of Southern Maine

Jazmin

USM is supportive, understanding and wants it's students to succeed.

USM is supportive, understanding and wants it's students to succeed.

If I could go back in time I would tell myself that during my high school career to take a learning disability evaluation, instead of needlessly struggling. During that time I was far too proud, stubborn and worried about my reputation that to be classified as "disabled" and receiving the support I needed.

The worst thing about USM are the residence halls; they are based on the satellite campus in Gorham and students are prevented experiencing life and becoming cultured. Although it is indeed safe, there is absolutely nothing to do in Gorham,Maine; unlike the fascinating and fun activities that are available in Portland, Maine.

allison

The majority of non traditional students brings an amazingly diverse range of experiences and views. This helps to shape your understanding of the workd and other professionals you will someday work with.

Suring the application process to USM nursing program, I was terrified of how challengin gthe porgram would be. I had dropped out of High School and did not believe that I was smart enough to get a nursing degree. After graduating with honors and eventually succeding in the graduate nursing program, I would have told myself to have faith and trust my instincts. I began the porgram with studnets fresh out of high school and thought for sure I was going to fail since they had attended so many more hgih school classes than I had. Half way though A&P one of them asked to come and study with me since she was having so much toruble. I realized then that my survival skills I had needed to get thourhg tough times were guiding my resolve to work hard and get through the porgram. I would tell myslef to know that I have what it takes becuase passion and maturity are importnat parts of the college success puzzle.

The USM nursing program requires dedication and passion, these are the things that carried me through. Ask for help when needed, it is there for you but you have to reach out.

Ivana

I would have started the money search sooner than I did. I would have saved myself the hastle of not being able to register for spring semester. I would have picked a cheaper college, or even made better friends. I wish I would have put my head into the books more than I did and I probably would have made better grades.

Khalfani

The acrid stench of urine in regretful Downtown Miami fills my poor tired lungs as I sit here typing until my lack of pigmented-negro hands fall to the floor. And for what? To tell you my story of how I screwed up in high school? Pfft! Please! If only I can tell my old stubborn, white Jonas wannabe, self how stupid it was not to apply for scholarships and grants just so I can have the fifty-six dollars and twenty-five cents to pay for a frayed bus pass. If only I can tell myself how stupid I sounded when I used pompous vocabulary-out context-just to inflate my pretentious ego..."like what I did there?" That's what I always said until July 22, 2013, when I found my, soon to be hated, job by November, OfficeMax. You know, I couldn't even spend a full Thanksgiving night with my family, because I needed the petty extra eighty-five bucks so my lights won't cut off by the thirteenth? Whatever, I'll end this rant on one note to all seniors out there. The provocative truth about screwing up is NOTHING! Now figure that out.

Brooke

The most important piece of advice I would give myself would be, to take the time to apply for scholarships. Money should be the last thing on your mind while you’re in college. Money is very stressful and can take away from your academic focus. Having a clear mind to focus strongly on your academic success is crucial. Yes, there are loans available that make it possible for people who do not receive finical aid, but when school is over the debt is almost not worth it. When you have 30,000 or more in student loans, buying your first home or car is the last thing you are able to consider. Slow down and look for ways to make tuition costs lower, it will only benefit you. My next piece of advice would be, to slow down and really think about what I want out of life? Where do I see myself being happy? Finding a school that is right is important along with happiness.

USM is diverse, people are not judged at this school. A person who is close-minded or who is not accepting should not attend. When it comes to location, we are in Maine. Winters are cold, summers are perfect. You must be accepting of the weather changes in Maine, because it changes hourly.

The Portland campus is in an amazing location. The number one thing i brag about is the location. Portland is a beautiful city with so much to offer. There is plently of things to do. (Even for poor college students) Apartments are easy to find in comparrison to other schools. And were right on the coast which offers a lot.

Lindsey

Classmates are typically relaxed and friendly- willing to lend a pen if needed.

Classmates are typically relaxed and friendly- willing to lend a pen if needed.

I think USM is best known for being accepting of all types of students in relation to race, ethnicity, age, gender, religion, etc.

I am a firm believer that everything happens for a reason. This is why I would not give my high school self very specific advice or warning regarding my upcoming college years. I, of course, made mistakes during my first few years of college and I am continuing to make mistakes as every person does. However I would tell high school Lindsey to be more flexible. I would say planning for the future is a good idea but plans are not maps to be followed. I had my major and career path planned before I set foot in a college classroom but three semester later I found that I wasn't enjoying that major and I thought my whole future was unraveling. In the end, I found a major I enjoy much more and I had almost all the credits needed to turn my old major into a minor. Therefore, I would advise my younger self not to take things so seriously and remember that a change of plans or choosing a new path does not mean all the time until that point was wasted.

My classmates are engaging, active participants in class discussions, helpful, respectful to one another, and are not afraid to ask questions.

Our School of Business and Law School are the two main areas that attract students. USM is known for affordability as well as for having a high job placement upon graduation especially in the Business department. They are known for their excellence in sports as well as in theatre and fine arts as well.

I would advise myself to chase after what makes me happiest. Explore areas that have always interested me but I never had the chance or courage to do. I would tell myself to not let the trouble of my family get in the way of my goals and success in college. I would tell myself that I should live on campus for sure so I can get to know more people and be more involved in school. I would say that being involved in school will have lessened the chance that I may drop out and that I should accept that there may be times where I feel alone but there is help available. This is probably the most important peice of advice I would give myself. Take advantage of the counseling services on campus. They are free with tuition and they immensely help whether you are struggling or not academically or on a personal level with issues at home or at school. Knowing what I know now about college life, I would strongly advise myself as a high school senior to not let uncontrolable roadblocks get in the way of exploring college and to take advantage of counseling services.

University of Southern Maine is a smaller school with the same offerings of a larger university. The smaller class sizes allow for the students to feel like they are getting more attention from the professor than they would in a lecture hall with 500 other students. I find larger classes to be overwhelming and I'm uncomfortable asking a professor for help if they don't even know my name. The environment at USM was so much warmer versus my previous school and the faculty I met were encouraging and I feel like they can be true mentors.

If I could go back in time my first and foremost piece of advice to myself would be to pay attention to my finances. Be more cautious with my spending and think ahead for the future. Instead of wasting money on frivolous things put a little bit of money away every week. Don't get a credit card unless absolutely neccessary and only use it for emergency situations. Learn how to make a budget now so you do not become overhwelmed by bills and learn how to be smart with what purchases you do make. Next I would be sure to tell myself not to cram overnight, work smarter not harder. Be consistent in you study and practice. Create a schedule and adhere to it as best you can. Also don't be overwhelmed by change. Expect it but don't be shocked by it. No matter how hard it seems change can be good it causes growth. Stay strong no matter what and when times get tough remember nothing is forever. You are a smart capable young woman and when you apply yourself you can achieve anything so chase your dreams and let nothing stand in your way.

The one thing I'm finding frustrating is finding help figuring out financial aid. I've contacted the office and for some reason the secretarial staff keep giving me the run around offering their advice and then telling me that should help and you only need an appointment with a counselor if my loans don't cover everything. I never end up talking to an actual financial aid advisor/counselor. I feel kind of lost in figuring out student loans and not sure if I'm covering my bases to be sure my tuition is fully covered.

Andrea

The advice I would give myself is to give myself the opportunity, the opporunity to apply or to even go to Texas State University. I didn't even give myself the chance to find out if I'd be accepted and until this day it haunts , I thought I'd never be good enough or be able to make it on my own. All I think is what if, what if I applied, what if I did get in, just what if? That's all I can ask myself. I wish I could go back in time and talk to myself as a high school senior and tell myself: give yourself a chance, you deserve a shot at something new in life that could either turn out to be amazing or become an experience to learn from but atleast give yourself the opportunity to find out. Don't be scared and give it a try. Sooner or later you're going to have to leave the nest and stand on your own two feet, why not start now? Don't hold back because of anything or anyone, you deserve to do this for you, do it for you. Do it.

Meaghan

This is a tough question for me - shortly after I graduated from high school, I became pregnant with my daughter. If I could go back and speak to myself, I'd say "hey Meaghan, do your homework," because that was something I really fell short on while I was there. I participated actively in conversation, and teachers all seemed to like me, but I failed miserably when it came to doing my work on time [or sometimes, at all.] Going back to school as a 21 year old parent was a tough, tough choice for me, but obviously the right one.

University of Southern Maine administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.