Portland, ME
University of Southern Maine

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend University of Southern Maine

Marcia

I did my high school years in San Jose, Costa Rica. I would advise myself to work very hard in my future goals and be confident about my decision. I would tell myself to not be afraid to take risks and follow my heart. I would of learn English before I came here for College. I would probably suggest getting a job and save money for college.

As the human society moves along and ventures to new and exciting levels, it is important for individuals to tranisiton appropriately along the way. Assuming that I could go back in time and talk to myself as a high school senior, my transition into becoming a young woman would have been much different. Knowing what I know now about college life, I personally would have told myself to be more motivated and ambitious with my future goals. I would have asked for more help and more direction so that I could have better understood just how important college really is. Immediately, the first peice of advice I would have given to myself would be to get college applications out. Not knowing how to apply, nor having money should not have stopped me from delaying my education and settling for a community college. The transition and path that I chose was an easy route. Knowing what I know now about how college life really works and the strenuous amount of effect it takes to achieve such specactular goals, I would have told myself to buckle down. Venturing into my future college courses, I will become a young woman.

The school I attend is unique because of the demographics. Our school is diverse and the average student on the LAC campus is 30 with a family. The classrooms are smaller and the professors are amazing. We are a very hands on community and I find the students here to be very engaged in their learning. It's the perfect University for me.

I would tell myself to go to college. Start at a community college for the first two years and then transfer to a bigger university. I would also look into scholarships so I didn't leave school with a lot of student loan debt. I would make sure attending college was the right decision so I didn't waste any money.

That there isn't a daycare available for me. I feel it would benifit the older students success.

Chelsea

Attending in the fall so don't know.

Attending in the fall so don't know.

You are not crazy, you are just chronically misunderstood. You are so much smarter, courageous, beautiful than you could ever imagine. You are not fat or lazy or stupid. The world is open to you. You have so much to offer. It gets better. Way better. You could not ever possibly imagine what life will be like in 5, 10, or even 2 years from now. You are lovable. Don't be too hard on yourself. Don't believe the lies people tell you about yourself. You know who you are and what's important. Don't give any one person too much of your power or let them take it from you. Try not to put all your eggs in one basket, it is unwise. Never take yourself too seriously. Life is not nearly as serious or predictable as you would like to think it is. Accept your limitations. You will come up against them time and time again and it is wise to heed them and not to force your way through. That strategy does not work. There is no shame in asking for help when you need it, in fact this is a strength building strategy.

Dezarey

If I had the opportunity to go back in time and talk to myself as a high school senior, I honestly would not change a thing. I am so thankful that I made the "mistakes" I did while I was still at such a young age. I am now 26, and only 2 years back into school but I have so much to be thankful for. When I was a senior in high school, I became pregnant with my first child. He is so beautiful. Only 18 months after his birth was the birth of my second son. He is adorable and hilarious. If I had not made the mistakes so young, I wouldn’t have been given these two awesome kids. I may have delayed school a bit but I feel that sometimes, when people enter college straight out of high school, they don’t take it seriously. I am now mature enough to realize the importance of doing well. I am able to set a goal and meet it without the distractions of a teenager. The only thing I would tell myself as a teen, is Dezarey; you are smart, learn from your mistakes and keep moving.

Adan

If I could talk to myself as a high school senior I would say always staye focus. Knowing what I know, sometimes 1 day you blow off could mean the difference between a B or A. Get to know all your professor because in the end, they are recommending you. Always stay involved in school activities and document when you volunteer. I never documented when I volunteer and sometimes is necessary to show you actually did. I would also say use all the resources available like library and writing center. Lastly, I would say to myself, learn how to cook! It says money and you eat better quality food. Through my years in college, I was 12 hours away from my family on my own. Sometimes it was dificult to get through the month since my allowance was 100 dollar after paying rent and my bus pass. Making ones own food yields to saving a good amount of money, eating better, and staying healthy.

Claudia

The University of Southern Maine is located in the beautiful, transitioning city of Portland, Maine. This city is a hub for artists, revolutionaries, musicians, and thinkers of all sorts. Everything is easily accessible by bike, bus, or foot, and the restaurants and bars are on every corner. Portland was deemed one of the "foodiest" cities in the U.S. The university itself is split between two campuses, Gorham and Portland, with shuttle service between the two. The theater program is run by exceptional faculty with incredible amounts of knowledge, and hosts exciting courses like "aerial dance".

Go for a reasonably priced school with a program you love. Your education is what you make of it, and you will find incredible teachers wherever you go if you take the time to listen. Take a year off if you need to - it is better to know what you want out of your education before diving head first into it only to find it isn't what you really wanted to be doing. It is possible to work your way through school without accumulating insurmountable debt by paying what you can when you can, and taking out as few loans as possible. Learn about the capitalization of interest, and don't take the word of any loan counselors - read the fine print yourself. While you are in school join clubs, and make a club of your own! They are a great way to meet lifelong friends, and once you figure out how your school funds work, you may get the school to pay for your club snacks, or trip to the science museum, or the seeds and dirt for your community garden. Take the initiative and do what you are passionate about - it will lead to good things!

Each semester the tuition increases. The administrators are paid exorbitant salaries, and the library gets remodeled, yet student tuition continues to rise as programs like the childcare center and career services, get cut. The university cares more about its image to potential students than the realistic needs of its current students.

Dainene

If I can go back to being a high school senior and talking to myself, the first thing I could possibly think of telling myself is, “Please be organized!” Being organized is the key to great achievement in college. Organization, simply put, means that you are overcoming the hindrances that keep you from doing all you need to do. College students have to be organized with everything; be it with knowing your class schedule, dates of exams, or dividing your free time with your studying time. It takes a lot of hard work, dedication, and organization to really master being a college student. Many students do not know that so much is involved with being a college student rather than being in high school. Everything was mapped out but now the organization skills must kick in! Once a student has become “organized,” they have this ability to be able to take on more and to achieve more in their college career. Being organized leads to the promise of obtaining your degree and a promising future!

david

You need to make a schedule and stick to it. Fight the urge to push everything to the last minute. Dont spend money on things you do not need. Do not skip class because you are too lazy.

Nothing you are doing is abnormal, or strange. You are not handling college any better or worse than other freshmen. Do what makes you comfortable and happy, not what you think is expected of you as a college student (outside of completing your homework on time). While the upperclassmen all seem far more knowledgeable and wordly than you, they started out where you are right now and are STILL trying to figure college out. The school year will pass by much more quickly than you think, so stay on your toes. You're a neurotic and anxious person, so don't make it worse by procrastinating on assignments. This will snowball out of control and you will be so paralyzed by anxiety that you can't even start that already late assignment. It's okay to spend all night watching movies and chugging soda when you feel like you can't deal with other people. Taking a time out to pamper yourself and to allow for self-reflection is just as important in college as making sure you connect with other people - which you may not do easily at first. That's okay. Take it one step at a time.

The best thing about my school is that it's one of the safest campuses in Maine, so while the town it's located in isn't very big, you know you'll likely be safe there. This is an incredible step up from the school I transferred from.

Any scholarships you may have been elligible for if you were applying right out of high school do not apply even if you are a first year transfer student coming in during the spring semester. While it's still fairly cheap, it would've been much cheaper if I had just gone here as a first choice.

University of Southern Maine administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.