Portland, ME
University of Southern Maine

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend University of Southern Maine

If I could go back in time and talk to myself as a high school senior I would give myself four years of advice that I have acquired since. First, I would tell myself to study hard annd apply for as many scholarships you can. The real world is very difficult and money does not grow on trees. I did not take college serious as a high school senior, and thought money would just appear for payment I guess. I was lucky enough to receive the Life Scholarship, however, I thought I loved a boy and did not attend class everyday. In turn my grade point average dropped and I lost my scholarship. I would tell myself how good I had life made and not to take it for granit. I would also push myself way harder to achieve my goals faster. I have learned a lot being out of high school and my parents house. Living on my own is not what I thought it would be as a child. If I could truly go back and tell myself to work and study hard that school will be over soon and that I will greatly appreciate the works payoff.

Jacob

If I could go back to myself in high school and give some advice, it would definitely be to apply myself to my studies more than what I did. I wasn't exactly a slacker, but I could have applied myself more and would have gotten better grades. I would also tell myself not to worry about the little things so much, to just take life as it comes, there's too much that tries to bring you down and take your peace away. I'd really try to influence myself to make better choices in friends, because now that we've been out of high school for a couple of years, most of if, not all of, my friends have left or changed in some way; so i'd make myself find more lasting friends so that I've always got them no matter what. There's alot more I'd say and tell myself about what all I've done, but that doesn't matter as much right now.

Jamie

The food service is terrible, the Cafe is fill with carbs and there is no selection. Also most of the student service employees lack care for the USM students so we are often mistreated

A person looking for the average college experience. USM offers a different experience and environment. There is not a since of community nor school spirit and pride .

I would tell myself that success is determined by one's attitude not apptittude. One can achieve anything if the effort and determination is there. Also to never let the people around you keep you back from success. Everyone has a different path so separation is natural and in most cases, separation is neccessary

I had a very religious background growing up, so although getting good grades was important college was strongly not encouraged. I wish if I could go back I would look at my high school education with a view to looking at what I wanted to do in college. High school is a time in life where you are curious and feel indestructable. It would have been nice to think about college as an adventure where I could become anything I wanted.

A student who is self-motivated and willing to work hard. A student who can mulitask and is curious about the world around them and wants to improve the environment they are in.

I would say, any student who isn't commited to their education, or willing to put in the work to sucessfully complete their major.

Kaleigh

The school is best known for the atmosphere provided by the students who attend. Walking around on campus as an incoming freshmen can be frightening, but the upperclassmen here are so open, and willing to start a conversation with anyone, it makes you feel like you're one of them. Just the feeling of being home really helps. The feeling makes it easier to do homework, join clubs, and hang out around campus.

If I could go back in time, what I would want to tell myself would be to just relax. Looking back now, I flustered myself before I came to college. I would want to tell myself that I'm ready to go, and not to worry about the "what if" situations. That in college you just have to roll with the punches, and deal with situations as they come. I would tell myself that if I waste time thinking about things that may not even happen, my college expirience won't be open to as many opportunities. I would aslo want to tell myself that what happens in college is real. That slacking off with school work isn't an option anymore. That school work needs to be taken seriously now. At college I've seen too many people slack off, and have their grades suffer in consiquence. I would renenforce the fact that what happens now, affects the rest of your life. Employers worry about what you know, and how well you know it. The only way to prove you know something, is to actually know it. So school work must be taken seriously to prepare for the future.

Any type of person could fit in at this college. There are numerous athletic teams, clubs, and intermurals. There are theatre clubs, open auditions, performances. There is also a wide variety of academic clubs. Anyone who comes here has all the opportunities in the world to fit in. The school is capable of housing every and all kinds of personalities and interests. In short, every kind of person could come here.

Magen

I would tell myself that college is nothing like high school. You have to be an independent learner, and put all the responsibility of schooling upon yourself. You have to remind yourself of when assignments are due, when you have quizes, exams, etc.. The professors will do it for you once in a while, but not to the extent that high school teachers will. Also, in college, going to class is optional. However, you should make it mandatory for yourself; even if you're not feeling the greatest. Bring some handsanitizer, and anything to stop the spreading of what you've got. Being in class is so important, I can't stress it enough. The days you miss are the days you would have learned the most, or something really important for am exam. What I would really tell my high school self though is to stay more focused, but don't overdue it. Sometimes people have bad days, and failing an exam isn't going to be the end of your life. Get back up on the horse and put everything into it next time.

Sometimes it's hard to schedule tutoring. It's first come first served, and if you want to get tutored for an exam, sometimes it's just not an option.

That occasionally teachers drop the lowest grade, because they all know we can have a bad day once in a while.

Lindsey

I'd tell myself to never give up. Friends do come along, and sports come back. Focus a lot during my first semester and don't waste so much time with people that don't care about me. I'd tell myself its okay to come out of my shell because people will end up loving me. I'd remind myself to work hard in off season, college sports are very hard. I would also like to tell my past self that you really do make your life long friends in college.

I believe our school participation is great. We are able to raise each other up, and work together every day.

I believe someone that doesn't like to travel between campuses shouldn't attend this school. Also if they aren't friendy or willing to work with others.

Melinda

Atmosphere. USM is one of the most open minded friendly colleges I have seen. Everyone is willing to lend a helping hand or listening ear. The other thing I noticed is how diverse USM is compared to other places in Maine. One can learn about alomst any country from the students who attend, which I love.

Don't rush the experience. When I started I had the mindset that I would just plow through and only focus on mystudies. Then last year I had the idea that I wanted to become more involved with this campus and once I did I fell in love with being involved and wished I had done it sooner and not had been so serious. Our education isimportant yet if we are to focued on our goal and miss what is happengin around us then whats the point. Life is about all our experinces, so work hard in school yet enjoy it at the same time.

The worst thing is book prices, with all we pay in tuition, books need to be more cost friendly.

Katelyn

The advice I would give myself is keep pushing through all the difficulties. Save money because having no money is the most frustrating part of college. Dont try out for the soccer team. It is better that you devote all your time to your studies and not have to worry about practicing in the cold and dealing with the unsportsmanship attitudes of the team. Also, stay focused whenever you are driving; dont let anyone distract you. If you focus on the road you'll avoid an accident. Call mom every week. you'll find out over Christmas that things arent going well between mom and dad, so just call every week to remind them you love them. One last thing, an amazing girl, Kacie will walk into your life and be your best friend ever! She will help you get a new roommate and deal with all the stress at home, school, work, and with Alex. She will be the best thing that ever happened to you. You're going to be fine though. you're strong! Stay close to your family and choose your friends carefully. Love, me.

I wish i would have known about the split campus and the difficutly of getting classes on both campus. The hardest part of college is commmuting 45 min between campuses and classes.

The most frustrating thing at USM is the run down dorm rooms. The heat doesnt really work and the rooms arent that well taken care of from year to year.

Kiersten

If I could go back and talk to myself as a senior, I would advise myself to listen to my high school teachers and guidance counselors. The amount of suggestions and useful material that was given to me was put to waste., including scholarship information. One of the most important things I was told was to set goals for my future. Another big piece of advice I would have given myself was to try your hardest in all your classes and on the SAT's. The effort put in your high school years really reflects upon your future. I wish I would have realized that my poor effort on the SAT's was going to have a huge impact on college.

I think the best thing about my school is that they do everything they can to encourage you to interact with others and meet new people. There is never a dull day at this school. USM offers different activities every day.

The type of person that should attend this school should be open minded and willing to try new things. USM offers a lot of fun activities and encourages you to interact with other students and campus life.

University of Southern Maine administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.