Portland, ME
University of Southern Maine

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend University of Southern Maine

Melinda

Atmosphere. USM is one of the most open minded friendly colleges I have seen. Everyone is willing to lend a helping hand or listening ear. The other thing I noticed is how diverse USM is compared to other places in Maine. One can learn about alomst any country from the students who attend, which I love.

Don't rush the experience. When I started I had the mindset that I would just plow through and only focus on mystudies. Then last year I had the idea that I wanted to become more involved with this campus and once I did I fell in love with being involved and wished I had done it sooner and not had been so serious. Our education isimportant yet if we are to focued on our goal and miss what is happengin around us then whats the point. Life is about all our experinces, so work hard in school yet enjoy it at the same time.

The worst thing is book prices, with all we pay in tuition, books need to be more cost friendly.

Katelyn

The advice I would give myself is keep pushing through all the difficulties. Save money because having no money is the most frustrating part of college. Dont try out for the soccer team. It is better that you devote all your time to your studies and not have to worry about practicing in the cold and dealing with the unsportsmanship attitudes of the team. Also, stay focused whenever you are driving; dont let anyone distract you. If you focus on the road you'll avoid an accident. Call mom every week. you'll find out over Christmas that things arent going well between mom and dad, so just call every week to remind them you love them. One last thing, an amazing girl, Kacie will walk into your life and be your best friend ever! She will help you get a new roommate and deal with all the stress at home, school, work, and with Alex. She will be the best thing that ever happened to you. You're going to be fine though. you're strong! Stay close to your family and choose your friends carefully. Love, me.

I wish i would have known about the split campus and the difficutly of getting classes on both campus. The hardest part of college is commmuting 45 min between campuses and classes.

The most frustrating thing at USM is the run down dorm rooms. The heat doesnt really work and the rooms arent that well taken care of from year to year.

Kiersten

If I could go back and talk to myself as a senior, I would advise myself to listen to my high school teachers and guidance counselors. The amount of suggestions and useful material that was given to me was put to waste., including scholarship information. One of the most important things I was told was to set goals for my future. Another big piece of advice I would have given myself was to try your hardest in all your classes and on the SAT's. The effort put in your high school years really reflects upon your future. I wish I would have realized that my poor effort on the SAT's was going to have a huge impact on college.

I think the best thing about my school is that they do everything they can to encourage you to interact with others and meet new people. There is never a dull day at this school. USM offers different activities every day.

The type of person that should attend this school should be open minded and willing to try new things. USM offers a lot of fun activities and encourages you to interact with other students and campus life.

Sara

If I could go back in time and talk to the high school senior self, I would tell her not to stress. I put so much stress on myself to get the most out of high school to prepare myself more for college. Well that didn't work, it discouraged my high school experience. On top of that high school did not prepare me for college at all. The thing that prepared me the most was my life experience. Before my senior I went through a divorce, living on my own for a while, moving to a town 30 minutes away and having to make that commute. It's those life experiences that gave me the head on my shoulders making me ready for the journey ahead of me. I would tell myself to stop worrying about self perfection, and recognition, worry about the life that is still being played around you, becuase it doesn't pause or slow down for you, it keeps going it's normal speed whether you are maturing with it or not.

The worst thing at my school is just dealing with financial aid office and loans, which I feel is probably the worst at every school.

I brag about how simple it is at USM. It is not a school to show off it is just what I need.

If I could go back and tell my young and nieve self anything, it would be to stop, look around you, and enjoy it. Highschool is definetly the best years of your life. Don't waste it on stressing the small stuff or being sad that the boy of your dreams isn't asking you out. Don't worry that you lost that last game or you took a bad school picture. College and working is not all its cracked up to be. It's harder then I used to think and you have to work for everything you want. You can make some great memories in highschool and friends of a lifetime, cherish them. Follow your heart and dreams. Don't go into something you don't love. Find your passion. Experience it. Live it. Most importantly dont take it for granted.

I would say are school is best known for having multiple campuses. Each campus gives a student different idea of what a college campus is. The Gorham campus has the typical campus feeling of a small town campus. There is a place to through frisbees and the living areas can either be your stereotypical dorm or a nice appartment. The portland campus gives you the idea of a city base campus where there are just buildings, but downtown is close enough to explore.

I would tell myself to be smarter with money and to get tips from my mom about life skills. Go the grocery store with her and learn about shopping smart and how to save money while doing it. Watch and help her cook meals so you are able to cook and learn about basic sewing. The microwave will become your best friend and you will be awesome at using it, plus, when you go out to eat, always get the rest of your food box because you never know when you will want a snack. I would tell myself about how to stay active more and to try-out for volleyball right away and not wait till the next year to do it. Don't every go to the gym to work out in the morning or from 3-6 becuase it is really pack and hard to get weights or machines you want use. Lastly, i would let myself know to do the homework while listening to classical music because it helps me concentrate better and not procrastinate, have fun, relax, and join the engineering program because you want to be a mechanical engineer not a chemist.

Anyone can really attend this school. There are programs for all types of majors and activties you can get invovled in to help with your career or to just have fun. The greek life do events here and there, but aren't the center of attention. In other words, the type of person who should attend this school is someone who wants to really understand their career and wants to make friends who will last.

Adilene

The advice I would giv myself if I was back in high school would of been to apply for as many schoarships as I could, get better grades, looked into college a little bit more, and participated in more school activities.

Kathleen

My classmates are friendly, smart, quirky, creative souls who enjoy their studies and work hard but find ways to make their schoolwork fun for them.

Young Kathleen, You're full of dreams but they all revolve around following the successful footprints of your family, most of whom are involved in the medical field. You know very well that this isn't the path for you, although sciences and medicine intrigue you, your heart lies in art. Your hands weren't meant to touch the hearts of others with healing, but with your creations. Art has always been your strongest subject, don't be afraid you aren't good enough, once you let go of your fears you will even start to impress yourself with what you can make. You don't need to move away from home.. Listen to Mom, stay close to her. She keeps you motivated and out of trouble, she's your biggest fan and supporter as well as a fountain of inspiration. Not to mention that by staying home you'll save yourself money. You can keep working at your steady job, with your supportive boss who gives you free lessons in business, why would you think to give that up? Try to surpress your desire for new exotic people and places, there's plenty of time to discover them later.

A student looking for a school where they can party and have fun, passing their classes by staying inconspicuous would not find what they are loking for here. If the student is judgmental and close-minded of diversity they should stay away. If the student does not enjoy an urban setting full of opportunities for meeting new people and exploring new experiences the University of Southern Maine would be a poor choice for them.

Jamarlen

If I could go back and time and talk to my high school senior self, oh there would be so many things I would tell a young me. I would tell him to get serious after high school, start working during the summer, so I could have many saved up for school and while then I would tell him to prepare to work hard and attened James Sprunt Community College and double major in both the Computer Information Technology field and in the Associate in Arts program, and when he would ask me why I would tell him its going to help you better help and prepare you for the future. With the knowledge I know now I would tell him community college would be his best choice, not only would he learn about computers andget his general courses out the way, so when he transferred to university he could go straight to his intended program of study which is computer science. I would also tell my younger self to enroll or transfer to UNC-Greensboro and enter their computer science program and try to do their accelerated BS and MS option in which you get bothe degrees.

Marcus

2 campuses means annoying switching between the two but it has many different opportunities

most are friendly and helpful

I would tell myself to really focus and study. This semester I realized that I needed to buckle down if I really want to complete my degree. This is the only thing I've ever wanted to do and probably will. Just focus and don't dilly dally. Get your work done! Impossible is nothing.

University of Southern Maine administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.