Portland, ME
University of Southern Maine

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend University of Southern Maine

John

I have not started school yet. My first semester starts in January 2013.

I have not started school yet. My first semester starts in January 2013.

The art program at USM is top notch. The professors are accessible and full of good information. The Gorham campus is beautiful with lots of greenery and the students are friendly and full of energy. You can grow as an artist and teachers encourage you to go beyond your own expectations to really challenge yourself. Porfessional artists are invited to campus to view student's work and USM gives students the opportunity to make connections in the real world.

I would say to that young impressionable self to take a year, maybe even two off away from school to learn more about yourself before diving right in. I'd say that college will be waiting and there is no reason to rush even if all your friends are going. When the time came to go I'd say not to worry about which classes might be the best fit and instead try some you might not normally. I'd say explore as many academic options as possible but also remember to have fun. Join the dram club, and the school chorus and stop worrying all the time about academic achievement. Hang out with people who make you laugh, dare to go into the local cities surrounding the campus and go to music clubs and restaurants. Finally see that you get some rest now and then. It's not crucial that you attend every party or go out drinking with your friends every friday night. Learn to make time for yourself so that you can sit and reflect on how things are going and whether you're having a good time at school.

Dear young, impressionable high school self: Here are some words of wisdom to help you transition into college life. Take classes seriously, show up on time, and pay attention because the grades you earn Freshman year of college will affect your GPA all the way to graduation. Talk to the students in your classes and form study groups, it will seriously cut down on your study time! Go out and meet new people, join a club that interests you, and get involved in extra-curricular activities because college will be boring and lonely if you do not participate in campus events and find friends to share your college experience with. Form a relationship with your advisor so you can stay on track with the classes you need to be taking and what career opportunites might be available for you in the future. Choose one day every week to relax, unwind, and clear your head. And most importanty, stay motivated, and keep studying and pushing through even when you are burnt out because it will be so worth it in the end when you are holding your diploma!

Students who value gaining knowledge, quality, well-rounded curriculum, and teachers who actaully care about your future should attend the University of Southern Maine. This school provides its students with the skills neccessary to land a great career, and the staff to mentor, guide, and encourage you to apply for scholarships, internships, and jobs that will suit your personal interests and qualifactions. The educational caliber of this school is high and for those willing to work and study hard to earn a degree that will lead to a fulfilling career.

The class size is generally small, which allows the teachers to establish relationships with individual students and to provide more interactive teaching. The quality of the courses I have taken at USM, along with the teaching styles of my professors has far surpassed other colleges I have attended in my undergraduate studies. The location of the school is fantastic, situated right in the middle of portland and close to many local shops and restaurants. The food on campus is great, too! Also, USM offers a wide variety of extra curricular activities, sports, outings, clubs, and events.

Kathryn

For the majoirty of my course work I attended USM's Lewiston-Auburn campus, a small, single buidling campus that didn't offer much by the way of extra-curricular activities, however, it was very student friendly, and professors appeared very interested in student success.

My classmates were, generally speaking, a good mix of traditional and non-traditional students, who were friendly, school-oriented, and racially and culturally diverse.

Unfortunately, I don't feel as though my collegiate experience challenged me academically, or pushed me to my full potential. Regardless of these feelings, I think the overall value and experience of attending college are priceless. I have made what I consider, life-long friends, and have grown leaps and bounds as a person. The most valuable lesson I have taken away from my college experience is that it is never to late to change your situation. I think we often trap ourselves as students, and convince ourselves that we have to want one path, and one path only. We associate a lot of fear and disappointment with changing our educational plan. I graduated from a 4-year program and realized I wasn't happy, my experience encouraged me to continue with my eduation and find what truly makes me happy. Had I not had this experience, I may have settled for a career path I wasn't passionate about.

Annette

I have gained valuable life, long friends. These friends have helped me through some rough patches in my life. For instance, they helped me through some relationship issues last springs. My friends and I have memorable experiences such as this winter's Christmas Party. We played, Uno and had Chinese food for dinner. College has given a whole different perspective on life by meeting all sorts of different people.

Katherine

The unique thing about University of Southern Maine is that it's a school that allows you to forge your own path. It's very much a commuter-based school and it lacks a traditional campus feel, but if you know what you want out of college its a wonderful school that nudges you in the right direction as long as you are proactive and independent about what you want out of your education.

My college experience thus far has been so rich. College has taught me so much more than academics, it's taught me how to learn. I'm now at the point in my college career that I know what I want out of my education. These are the most productive and influential years of my life thus far as I have finally learned how to get the most out of my classes and professors. I have experimented with multiple ways to absorb information and have picked up so many life skills on the way. Not only have I learned how to support myself independently but also how to balance a demanding internship along with my studies in a productive way. College has taught me to respect and take value in the process of education, how to think critically under pressure, and how to stay organized. The entire experience has brought me through lots of trial and error, but that is what the college years are for, learning to learn.

Before I transferred to USM I was at another school in the University of Maine System. I wish that I had known before transferring that my core credits for my major wouldn't transfer. Had I known this before I came to the school I would have better planned out my class schedules so that I would still be on the traditional 4-year path.

Nikole

I believe that University of Southen Maine is unique because it its large enough for you to meet a new person everyday but its small enough to recognize people. It is a large commuter school which must help certain students cope with the stress when they know they can return home, and get away from everything. The athletics are fantastic here, its competitive but you can still have fun with it unlike a Division One school.

The most I have gotten out of my college experience is independence and responsibility. I no longer have my mother there to wake me up for class but at the same time she is not there to tell me when to go to bed. I feel like I am growing into my own person and this place has given me a lot of space to grow. Athletics has brought me closer to the community and I feel more obliged to help out than I had before.

I would have to say the athletics, I love the teams here and how they do a lot of things for charities and communities.

I would tell my self that everything will be okay there are times you will cry and miss your family but thats ok because you roomates feeling the same way. ALso dont go home everyweekend because then you miss out when you could be having fun . ALos study hard and recieve good grades for that is why you come to college but also remember to have fun employers look for well rounded students so get involved. overall dont stress have fun you'll have plenty of time later to worry about bills when you have to start paying back your loans so be a kid but remember you still at times have to be an adult.

i wish i would have known more about the work load and how the responsibility is all on the student that the teachers could care less if you do good or show up for class. i also wish i would have known the the price of books is so expensive

Meggin

Because I had to work full time and commute two hours a day throughout my undergrad, I would tell myself as a senior to slow down and enjoy college more. Unlike most of my peers, I didn't spend much time partying or hanging out; I worked tirelessly at my academics and my multiple part time jobs in order to survive. While that was beneficial, I should have gone to all of the lectures and events that I was interested in, joined clubs, studied abroad, and just done whatever I could to make the most of that time in life in which one has so many opportunities to explore and stretch one's self. I'm glad I didn't waste time, but I wish I had been less focused on getting by and more focused on making the most of the experience.

I always brag that even though it was a state school, I feel like I had better classes than when I went to a more expensive private university for my masters degree. Just because it is not as famous or costs less definitely doesn't mean the education isn't as good. At USM I never had a class taught by a TA or an upper level class with more than 20 people. This was not true for where I received my masters. Your education is what you make it to be and how much you invest in it.

The facilities. The buildings were old and poorly maintained and so the classrooms were always cold. The buildings were different styles of architecture which looked random and lacking cohesion.

Amethyst

If I culd go back I would tell myself how important it is to apply to as many scholarships as possible, otherwise I might have to drop out because of lack of money. I would also tell myself to work harder on my music. Money is very tight so I'd probably also say work as many hours as possible before you have to leave your job so you have money for groceries and other important things.

MY classmates are all friendly, concerned about each other, hard working, and like a family.

I live on the Gorham campus of the university and it is difficult to get to performances and classes outside of the school because I do not drive. There is a shuttle from portland to Gorham, but other than that I can't find a city bus schedual.

University of Southern Maine administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.