Portland, ME
University of Southern Maine

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend University of Southern Maine

I would say are school is best known for having multiple campuses. Each campus gives a student different idea of what a college campus is. The Gorham campus has the typical campus feeling of a small town campus. There is a place to through frisbees and the living areas can either be your stereotypical dorm or a nice appartment. The portland campus gives you the idea of a city base campus where there are just buildings, but downtown is close enough to explore.

I would tell myself to be smarter with money and to get tips from my mom about life skills. Go the grocery store with her and learn about shopping smart and how to save money while doing it. Watch and help her cook meals so you are able to cook and learn about basic sewing. The microwave will become your best friend and you will be awesome at using it, plus, when you go out to eat, always get the rest of your food box because you never know when you will want a snack. I would tell myself about how to stay active more and to try-out for volleyball right away and not wait till the next year to do it. Don't every go to the gym to work out in the morning or from 3-6 becuase it is really pack and hard to get weights or machines you want use. Lastly, i would let myself know to do the homework while listening to classical music because it helps me concentrate better and not procrastinate, have fun, relax, and join the engineering program because you want to be a mechanical engineer not a chemist.

Anyone can really attend this school. There are programs for all types of majors and activties you can get invovled in to help with your career or to just have fun. The greek life do events here and there, but aren't the center of attention. In other words, the type of person who should attend this school is someone who wants to really understand their career and wants to make friends who will last.

Adilene

The advice I would giv myself if I was back in high school would of been to apply for as many schoarships as I could, get better grades, looked into college a little bit more, and participated in more school activities.

Kathleen

My classmates are friendly, smart, quirky, creative souls who enjoy their studies and work hard but find ways to make their schoolwork fun for them.

Young Kathleen, You're full of dreams but they all revolve around following the successful footprints of your family, most of whom are involved in the medical field. You know very well that this isn't the path for you, although sciences and medicine intrigue you, your heart lies in art. Your hands weren't meant to touch the hearts of others with healing, but with your creations. Art has always been your strongest subject, don't be afraid you aren't good enough, once you let go of your fears you will even start to impress yourself with what you can make. You don't need to move away from home.. Listen to Mom, stay close to her. She keeps you motivated and out of trouble, she's your biggest fan and supporter as well as a fountain of inspiration. Not to mention that by staying home you'll save yourself money. You can keep working at your steady job, with your supportive boss who gives you free lessons in business, why would you think to give that up? Try to surpress your desire for new exotic people and places, there's plenty of time to discover them later.

A student looking for a school where they can party and have fun, passing their classes by staying inconspicuous would not find what they are loking for here. If the student is judgmental and close-minded of diversity they should stay away. If the student does not enjoy an urban setting full of opportunities for meeting new people and exploring new experiences the University of Southern Maine would be a poor choice for them.

Jamarlen

If I could go back and time and talk to my high school senior self, oh there would be so many things I would tell a young me. I would tell him to get serious after high school, start working during the summer, so I could have many saved up for school and while then I would tell him to prepare to work hard and attened James Sprunt Community College and double major in both the Computer Information Technology field and in the Associate in Arts program, and when he would ask me why I would tell him its going to help you better help and prepare you for the future. With the knowledge I know now I would tell him community college would be his best choice, not only would he learn about computers andget his general courses out the way, so when he transferred to university he could go straight to his intended program of study which is computer science. I would also tell my younger self to enroll or transfer to UNC-Greensboro and enter their computer science program and try to do their accelerated BS and MS option in which you get bothe degrees.

Marcus

2 campuses means annoying switching between the two but it has many different opportunities

most are friendly and helpful

I would tell myself to really focus and study. This semester I realized that I needed to buckle down if I really want to complete my degree. This is the only thing I've ever wanted to do and probably will. Just focus and don't dilly dally. Get your work done! Impossible is nothing.

Jared

The commuter like school offers many classes at many times. It pleases me and many others

I would tell myself on simple thing, be you. I feel I have failed and conqurred, which has been the best experience.

being able to smoke on campus but our school is currently working on terminating this problem.

nick

If I could go back in time and advise myself when I was a high school senior, I would tell myself not to worry so much about the small things. I never had to worry about the small things, like getting off to college or worrying if I would meet people there. I would tell myself that everything works out like it should, and I would not change any specific events. I would just want to let myself know that college goes great, you will meet a bunch of friends that are exactly like you, and you will get a girlfriend. I would not want to change any events because then I may not have met certain people, and I have met people since going to college that I will be friends with for life, and I would never want to change that.

the classes are very well taught in my opinion. the professors use good examples, and great use of their time.

my school is becoming more and more a commuter campus, and makes it more boring on campus.

John

I have not started school yet. My first semester starts in January 2013.

I have not started school yet. My first semester starts in January 2013.

The art program at USM is top notch. The professors are accessible and full of good information. The Gorham campus is beautiful with lots of greenery and the students are friendly and full of energy. You can grow as an artist and teachers encourage you to go beyond your own expectations to really challenge yourself. Porfessional artists are invited to campus to view student's work and USM gives students the opportunity to make connections in the real world.

I would say to that young impressionable self to take a year, maybe even two off away from school to learn more about yourself before diving right in. I'd say that college will be waiting and there is no reason to rush even if all your friends are going. When the time came to go I'd say not to worry about which classes might be the best fit and instead try some you might not normally. I'd say explore as many academic options as possible but also remember to have fun. Join the dram club, and the school chorus and stop worrying all the time about academic achievement. Hang out with people who make you laugh, dare to go into the local cities surrounding the campus and go to music clubs and restaurants. Finally see that you get some rest now and then. It's not crucial that you attend every party or go out drinking with your friends every friday night. Learn to make time for yourself so that you can sit and reflect on how things are going and whether you're having a good time at school.

Dear young, impressionable high school self: Here are some words of wisdom to help you transition into college life. Take classes seriously, show up on time, and pay attention because the grades you earn Freshman year of college will affect your GPA all the way to graduation. Talk to the students in your classes and form study groups, it will seriously cut down on your study time! Go out and meet new people, join a club that interests you, and get involved in extra-curricular activities because college will be boring and lonely if you do not participate in campus events and find friends to share your college experience with. Form a relationship with your advisor so you can stay on track with the classes you need to be taking and what career opportunites might be available for you in the future. Choose one day every week to relax, unwind, and clear your head. And most importanty, stay motivated, and keep studying and pushing through even when you are burnt out because it will be so worth it in the end when you are holding your diploma!

Students who value gaining knowledge, quality, well-rounded curriculum, and teachers who actaully care about your future should attend the University of Southern Maine. This school provides its students with the skills neccessary to land a great career, and the staff to mentor, guide, and encourage you to apply for scholarships, internships, and jobs that will suit your personal interests and qualifactions. The educational caliber of this school is high and for those willing to work and study hard to earn a degree that will lead to a fulfilling career.

The class size is generally small, which allows the teachers to establish relationships with individual students and to provide more interactive teaching. The quality of the courses I have taken at USM, along with the teaching styles of my professors has far surpassed other colleges I have attended in my undergraduate studies. The location of the school is fantastic, situated right in the middle of portland and close to many local shops and restaurants. The food on campus is great, too! Also, USM offers a wide variety of extra curricular activities, sports, outings, clubs, and events.

Kathryn

For the majoirty of my course work I attended USM's Lewiston-Auburn campus, a small, single buidling campus that didn't offer much by the way of extra-curricular activities, however, it was very student friendly, and professors appeared very interested in student success.

My classmates were, generally speaking, a good mix of traditional and non-traditional students, who were friendly, school-oriented, and racially and culturally diverse.

Unfortunately, I don't feel as though my collegiate experience challenged me academically, or pushed me to my full potential. Regardless of these feelings, I think the overall value and experience of attending college are priceless. I have made what I consider, life-long friends, and have grown leaps and bounds as a person. The most valuable lesson I have taken away from my college experience is that it is never to late to change your situation. I think we often trap ourselves as students, and convince ourselves that we have to want one path, and one path only. We associate a lot of fear and disappointment with changing our educational plan. I graduated from a 4-year program and realized I wasn't happy, my experience encouraged me to continue with my eduation and find what truly makes me happy. Had I not had this experience, I may have settled for a career path I wasn't passionate about.

University of Southern Maine administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.