Portland, ME
University of Southern Maine

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend University of Southern Maine

Amethyst

MY classmates are all friendly, concerned about each other, hard working, and like a family.

If I culd go back I would tell myself how important it is to apply to as many scholarships as possible, otherwise I might have to drop out because of lack of money. I would also tell myself to work harder on my music. Money is very tight so I'd probably also say work as many hours as possible before you have to leave your job so you have money for groceries and other important things.

I live on the Gorham campus of the university and it is difficult to get to performances and classes outside of the school because I do not drive. There is a shuttle from portland to Gorham, but other than that I can't find a city bus schedual.

Caitlin

Knowing what I know now about college life and making the transition, I would tell myself that it's not as scary as it sounds. Moving to college and making new friends seems at first like a really scary thing, especially for me since i'm really shy. But the people I have met have been super nice and I have easily made some really good new friends. Also, when you get to college it's really good to get involved in student clubs and campus activities. It's a great way to make the most of your college experience, and I am learning that it's also a wonderful way to make friends. A third good thing to remember is to always go to class. You're paying a ton of money on going to college, and skipping class is like throwing that money away. Ultimately, you're going to college to further your education, so you need to keep that in mind. Don't let the people and things going on around you get in the way of your school work. Have fun, but still work hard.

Santina

If I could go back in time, there would be two words of advice I'd give. The first would be to prepare better time management skills, with both academic and social life combined. I learned it was very hard to separate my priorities of an assignment that was due, and an opportunity to create strong friendships. The second would be to put my sleep schedule at the top of my priority list, right next to self-care. I learned during my first year that losing sleep was seriously affecting my schoolwork, health, and energy level. If I wasn't healthy I'd have a hard time going to class, completing homework, etc. Taking care of yourself is essential for a college student. Without your health, you have nothing.

The Financial Aid department, Student Billing, and Registrar are the three weakest departments at my school. They are very disorganized and have ruined a lot of students academic careers because of faults on their part. They have personally put me through a lot of excess stress and have guaranteed me more debt than I will be able to handle when I complete my college career.

Students who are capable of attending an IV League college should not choose this school. If the potential is there for the individual, then that's where the effort should go for the students education. Students who don't come from a lot of money should also not attend this school, especially if they are out of state students because of how expensive it is. If you cannot afford it, don't go. It's not worth the stress you will have once you graduate and are forced to pay off student loans.

Seeley

Dear Self, Congratulations! You have made it through high school and are embarking on a new chapter in your life--college. I know that you are probably a melting pot of emotions right now, with excitement, anxiety, motivation and apprehension all flooding into your mind at once, making it hard to even think straight. Relax. All of this is normal. And this roller coaster of emotions won't last forever. Breathe. And when things seem unbearably overwhelming, keep breathing. Now, some advice about the nearly approaching life transition you are about to enter into (not that you are looking for advice about how to lead your life at eighteen years old, but just in case): Be balanced--make sure you incorporate a healthy dose of study time into your social life. Eat well--there was always a reason why mom made you eat your greens. Exercise--it will be both rejuvenating and mind clearing. Go to class, don't take yourself too seriously, laugh, and even cry if you want to. Pace yourself--you don't need to have all the answers at once. Just remember, you can be whoever you want to be. Choose wisely. Sincerely yours,Me

A person who values life in a college town, while appreciating a larger city-like environment, would enjoy living in Portland, ME and attending USM.

In my experience, the most frustrating thing about my schoool has been the inability to have all of my previous coursework transfer.

Benjamin

Poor, bored white children.

Poor, bored white children.

The advice i would give myself would be to stop drinking and using drugs every day so I could stay out of jail in order to begin and graduate from college on time. Then, of course my younger self would tell old me to get lost... Seriously though, I would have to say to myself that college is a full time job and a serious dedication to my future success involves complete focus and attention on academics, not social life. I would encourage myself to have an open dialogue with all of my professors as well as some classmates in order to be successful, and I would make sure that I told myself how important exercise and a proper diet are to brain function. It would be difficult to convince myself that studying is more important than being accepted socially, but I would certainly try.

Lack of diversity and sense of community. These things are essential to a healthy university and USM is falling behind financially, academically and spiritually because of it.

Lura

USM is a commuter school. Most of its students come from on campus and it creates a different atmosphere. There are not alot of students who stay on campus during the day due to the fact that most live so close to the school. It does not allow for a good socializing experience but it makes you get involved in school activities to meet new people.

I would suggest that I start getting involved in extra curricular activities at the start of college. It helps you meet new people and can be helpful to your resume

I really dont brag to my friends about my school. The best thing is only having classes three days a week next semester.

Our school is best known for our music department and athletics, especially hockey.

Stay true to yourself, and trust your intuition. You will encounter a plethora of new experiences, people, and cultures that may seem strange initially, but don't be scared! There's nothing wrong with expanding your horizons. Just remember to live according to your values without getting caught up in the hype. You will make new friends from all walks of life. Some will stay, some will go. Regardless, each one of them will impact on your changing world view. Take these experiences in stride and appreciate the opportunity to learn something new each day. Speaking of learning, excelling academically will continue to come easy for you. The Honors program offers a great chance to delve deeper intellectually that you shouldn't pass up. Campus involvement will immerse you in the campus community and create lasting bonds. Although these leadership positions benefit you in the short-term and long-run, be careful that they act in a supportive role rather than taking center stage. You can't major in campus activities after all. Most importantly, it's ok to fall every now and again. You are human. Allow yourself to make mistakes, but be sure to learn from them ultimately.

I wouldn't suggest attending this school if you are easily offended by diverse experiences or are extremely conservative.

Mollie

It is a comfortable, friendly learning environment where one makes great friends and memories.

If I could go back in time, I would tell myself to stop worrying. The transition is not as difficult as everybody makes it out to be. Your parents, your peers, your teachers, and your advisors try to help to prepare you by giving you tips and advice, but the transition is up to you. There is no ?How To? manual for making the transition to college life ? in my opinion, it is only a matter of how bad you want to succeed. Anyone can succeed in college if they are determined and motivated. If ever I feel overwhelmed, I simply take a deep breath, tell myself that I am here for a good reason and will not give up, thus I continue on.

Anyone would be happy here. Whether you prefer a city life or rural area, you get to experience both at USM between the two campuses.

Minal

Think about getting a good job in college and start looking for career type jobs , and off campus housing (if you choose to live on campus during your freshman year) as early as your sophomore year. Start looking for your internship that same year too if you can. It will save a lot of stress in the last year of college. Take some college writing, and math classes before you go to college, they will help. Also, try and mix up your 100, 200, 300, 400 level classes so that the last year won't be a stressfull year while you try and do all 400 level classes (as well as your internship which is also a 400 level class) all in the same year or worse in the same semester. Also if you need to go part time go part time, don't rush the experience by taking 6-10 classes a semester, this way you not only get to experience college life more fully you also get to go through college in a relaxed fashion and you will also have the time to get those As that will impress the graduate schools (or at least your GPA will).

I wish i had known how cold Maine would be! I also know now that staying off campus in Portland or somewhere else is better than staying on campus, it is more expensive though, but you can use your loans to pay for off campus housing. I wish i had known about the multucultural center and the womans resource center earlier, it would have helped make me feel better about coming all the way to Maine from Iowa in that i would have had some support right from the start, as it was i had a pretty rough start.

I think i had really good professors teaching me for the most part. I think that the Department of Environmental Science (DES) may have the best teachers in the whole university! I also liked one of my professors from the political science department. They worked us hard but they were good teachers. I think all of them are still there now with the exception of my first advisor. The DES has a great dinner too at the end of the school year where alumni get to meet students and staff. You can take a non DES friend to this too.

University of Southern Maine administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.