University of Southern Maine Campus Life Reviews

Overall Review for University of Southern Maine

Curtis

The University of Southern Maine is a great school with a high chance of getting in no matter who you are. It has many great fields of study and most of the teachers are really nice and help you out when you need it. I give them a four out of five star rating.

Moses

University of Southern Maine is one of the best colleges with professors and small class sizes that adhere to academic excellence. I strongly recommend it to students considering to puruse their degree programs, undergraduates, graduates and certificate courses. USM offers flexible services, students can take courses online, part=time and full-time.

The University of Southern Maine is a pretty nice school: small, local, and a great start for anyone looking to transfer, older students who wish to get back into the swing of things, and overall great for people to go to if they want to do a work-study program.

Lucas

Its a state school. Your first year is mostly about drinking and partying and going to class occasionally. The level of intelligence isn't very high but you will find people you click with. The food isn't great but once you are past your first two years you are more likely to be in the Portland area which is great. Very cool town that's great for young crowd with great bars and a good nightlife.

Andrew

The classes and faculty are designed for accreditation which is important for my Board exams; and getting professional employment. The college is friendly and always hopping with activity. I plan to get my Bachelors and go onto get my Masters which is an exciting possibility for a man of my age (67). I would recommend this University to anyone seeking higher education and a boost in life.

Kyle

Its a small campus with lots of opportunity. The community is great and the friends I made are awesome. Though the housing could be a little better. A lot of at least my dorm building needs to be upgraded considering its 100 years old. The food is ok and the choices are ok. I wish the food hall was open later than 7. Considering that I get out of class at 7.

Katia

I highly enjoy the University of Southern Maine, overall it is a great school. There are wonderful opportunities​ in and outside of class. There is a great community feel to the whole school and one is able to see that the people there want to be there.

Joshua

I think USM is a great choice for in-state commuter students. For those looking for a more "traditional" college experience, there are better schools in the southern/central Maine area to attend. The administration does a decent job of interacting and creating a lively and engaging community on campus. I found USM to be worth the in-state tuition based on the quality of my professors alone. I always felt that I was learning and appreciated the time my professors took to make sure that I understood the material.

The University of Southern Maine is a great option for a student who is looking for a low cost, quieter college experience. USM is a split campus. There is a campus in Portland, Maine and in Gorham, Maine. There are some majors that are based on USM's Lewiston-Auburn campus as well. The school also offers online classes, and most live classes do have an online element. The split campus isn't an issue at all, students can ride the Metro for free, and the buses are very reliable. There are lots of opportunities to be found at this school, as long as one is willing to look. Students and professors alike are accommodating, inclusive, and friendly. Anyone looking for a quieter, but still fun undergraduate experience should consider the University of Southern Maine!

PDG

USM is easy to navigate and its diversity creates an ambiance of exchange. During my first semester here I was already able to participate in most of the programs, clubs and the student body. USM also encourages its students to have their own initiatives and have effective summits that foster leadership.

I'm very glad I chose the University of Southern Maine. It is well known for its School of Music, and after only one year I can see why. Everyone in the School of Music is constantly working to get better, and it's a great environment to be around. The campus Gorham campus is right near a Hanford and Rite Aid, while the Portland campus is just a mile walk away from Merrill Auditorium.

The University of Southern Maine is such a wonderful place! The atmosphere is absolutely unreal and overall very welcoming. The staff at USM are fantastic and really provide us with a safe, warm environment. If I had to start over USM is the place.

Joshua

I like USM as it is has a very small-town feel to it. The surrounding town isn't very busy but portland and the Old Port are about twenty minutes away so that can be your night life if you need. There are good surrounding places to eat which is good because the cafeteria food isn't very good outside of breakfast.

Cameron

I award the University of Southern Maine three stars. There is some potential in which I believe could increase it's ratings, yet it doesn't appear there will be any improvement in the near future. The university, having recently lowered its budget, is currently in a state of economic progression. Housing applications are reaching record numbers and the university struggles to accommodate it's students, due to it's now limited and outdated dorms. The new cafeteria budget cut also makes the overall experience less appealing because it now has lower quality food, ingredients and meals. However, the cost of attendance is reasonable for it's instate tuition, being one of the cheapest and most affordable universities in Maine. Overall, I believe that the courses are up to date and at the appropriate levels of difficulty. Although, the university has started a long-term investment towards improvement, leaving it under budgeted, and undersized for it's demand of students.

Alexandria

I think the outside culture in terms of activities aren't really my thing, and the food is absolutely atrocious, however it is a school I really enjoy, I think we have all the resources we need (besides edible food) and really cool, unique courses such as a course on Stanley Kubrick films, or a course called Myths, Monsters, and Metamorphosis. Overall, a school I am very proud to be a part of.

Dawson

The University of Southern Maine has a very good campus. I have been there numerous times in the summer for baseball camps. I like how the campus is situated. The food there is awesome and they always have markers out to let you know what is the healthiest option. The dorms are spacious and comfortable. They have apartment style dorms for the upper class men. The lower class men get the older style dorms where you share bathrooms. What I like is all of the dorm rooms have there own microwave and fridge unit so you can store some food for yourself when the cafeteria is closed. They have their own fitness center so that if you want to burn off some steam and get some exercise you can. I will be attending USM in the fall of 2018 as an undergraduate enrolled in athletic training.

Carl

You are better off going to another University if you are set on the city of Portland. While Portland is a great city, the University is one big disaster that is apparently getting worse with massive layoffs due to "budget shortfalls" even as much of the administration at the top get raises. One financial officer got a 40K raise bringing her salary to 250K, figure that one out. Which brings me to my next point, if you are coming to this place for an education, think twice, this is run more like a business, it is an embarrassment to higher education. Great faculty members have been laid off left and right in certain majors deemed "unneeded" by the current higher ups regardless of how loved they were. Even if you find a major you want that is not being downsized or terminated, there is still the issue of money. No one from the business office will help you. They are unsympathetic to the average students needs. Because of that, and other reasons I will explain, you will likely graduate here with debt. Even if you try to find ways to make the experience more affordable as it should be, you are likely to meet with denial. For example, and from my personal experience, I lived in Maine for 3 years. I rented there, worked and paid taxes there, got mail there. By all accounts I was a resident of Maine by the end of the first year but the University never granted me instate. After several pleas, they still rejected me with no reason given. I went to the financial aid office, the only advice I got was "take out more loans". Great advice to give a 19 or 20 year old. No advice or attempts to help me find scholarship I might be eligible for by the financial aid office. I did try to look on my own but there are so many scholarships, especially ones that are under the radar that nonetheless might be suitable to me, that I find it hard to believe that avenue was never explored with me when I visited the office. They just want a quick, easy fix/response to students with legit questions (on how to make UNI more affordable, etc.) - like take out loans. Great, but USM offers little help after graduating with job placement which is not good considering the advice you got for three years, "take out loans". Considering the money you pay, that "advice" is not acceptable. But considering the advice I got from fin. aid and apathy I got from the business department I guess I should have seen it coming! This is one bloated bureaucratic mess. Greed at the top with tons of unjustified raises while the talent "below" (great teachers) are axed because of "budget issues". Learn elsewhere!

Ruth

The professors in the masters of education programs are wonderful. They care about how you are doing, how successful you want to be and what you want to do as a professional and guide to your goals. They do their best to enhance the the students' overall learning experience in the program and will even be there for support after graduation. The professors truly care about the education of their students.

Katie

I've been to four colleges in my life, and I have never seen a place as horrible as USM. The establishment doesn't care at all about its students (nor do most of the teachers)–they only about getting every penny they can from you. They claim that they are the cheapest four-year school in Maine, which is true (very slightly) in their tuition cost. However, when you add in all the ways they nickle and dime you—from putting a meter on the parking spots reserved for dropping things off at your dorm to charging you bus fees (whether you live on campus and use the bus or not) for a shuttle that connects a poorly set up, dual campus—it is actually more expensive, and not worth the toll its frustrations will take on your health. They are constantly cutting programs (mainly in the arts and humanities) and replacing core course requirements with electives, telling students they will still be just as qualified, even though they aren't learning anything in that field. On top of this, they use fear tactics on recent high school grads who don't know any better to convince them that they can't afford to go anywhere else, so they won't complain/notice that the quality of education sucks. The music department in particular is horrible. Most of the teachers are just bitter performers who regret not making it and were forced to resort to teaching, and it shows. They take their resentment out on their students and since they don't actually know how to teach, they pick favorites to build up while tearing the rest down, so it makes it seem like some students are progressing. They then spend most of the class time trying to scare you out of pursing music and telling you that you'll never make it, instead of offering advice on how best to try. I transferred from Umaine to USM to major in musical theater because they ranted and raved about the program. (Umaine, despite having a state of the art theater and dance facilities and all of the dance, theater, and music courses, doesn't allow you to major in musical theater.) When I got to USM, I found out they had cut half of the acting classes and didn't even offer tap, jazz, or ballet. In lieu of these, they force you to take two intro-level, general dance classes, which are shared by non-majors who have never danced before, in order to “fulfill” your degree requirement. The teachers even tell you its not enough to qualify you for the real world, but apparently they can still give you a degree despite the fact that you didn't take any real courses in 1/3 of the subject matter that makes up that degree. It's unacceptable. Honestly, they should just cut the program altogether so that the students of Maine would be eligible to go out of state at in-state tuition costs and get a REAL degree, with the correct preparation and coursework. If you're going to make someone pay for a degree and not give them a real one, you shouldn't be able to give it at all. Needless to say, I am transferring this fall. On the contrary, I want to give credit to the few teachers and programs at USM that are stellar despite terrible circumstance, because there are some (like the sign language department, international office and community radio station) who really deserve praise; but these are very few and far between.

Ayden

The University of Southern Maine is quite a great community of students. Everything on campus is relatively close, the professors are accommodating when it comes to academic questions, and the school offers plenty of events and activities outside of class. Because some classes take place on one of the other campuses in Maine, the University provides student transportation that is on-time with the route schedule minus some few traffic jams in Portland. Above all, I enjoy interacting with all the faculty and students both in class and during campus events and extracurricular activities. In addition to everything happening on campus, the student housing is more than accommodating for the students and the on-campus security ensure that all students are safe while on campus. I would give USM a 5 out of a 5-star review, and I can't wait to continue my education here.

Hussein

This is my first year I've heard a lot of great things about the school and I expected it to be all hype but people were not lying at all. When I moved in, I was unfamiliar with a lot of places and where classes were, but everyone there was just so helpful and there's a lot do on campus so I was never bored or just sitting around my dorm. Cost of the college is fairly cheap but overall great school. I would definitely tell others to come join the big family.

It is a wonderful school that still has a lot of potential for growth in some areas while exceeding in others. I highly recommend it to anyone who wants a school that cares about the arts! The staff and faculty are friendly, the only problems occur when you really get involved with them and have to butt heads in order to keep things straight, but this is a more personal occurrence as of right now.

Nathan

The University of Southern Maine is a good school with friendly staff and plenty of opportunities. The only problem I've personally had was the parking problem on Portland campus which, on certain days, can be atrocious. Overall, University of Southern Maine is a good school, though with my limited experience being a full-time student at other colleges my opinion may not hold as much meaning as those who have had that experience.

Autumn

Most of the professors seem to be more concerned with doing the bare minimum, aren't very involved, and do not care about their students' growth or success.

Drew

The University of Southern Maine is a place where international cultures blend into a unique and ethnic campus. I have experienced many courses with the university's science professors and I am thoroughly pleased with many of their teaching capabilities. I recently finished a full year of organic chemistry and I can say that it was my favorite class both first and second semester. My professor made it enjoyable and provided numerous opportunities to practice the material. Let's be honest, organic chemistry requires a LOT of practice, at least for me. Yes, the science professors love what they teach and they strive for student's to succeed, but the university definitely has its flaws. Being a untraditional student, I have never lived on campus, but I've heard many horror stories about the university's dorms. First of all, the location of the dorms is extremely questionable. Who wants to live on the campus in the middle of the woods when most classes are held at the campus in the city? Not me. Rumor has it that the university is planning to build dorms on the city campus, but when will that happen? Only time will tell. Many on campus students have spoken poorly about the food as well. If students like cardboard quality bacon and powdered eggs for breakfast, then I would recommend living on campus. Also the university requires that all students living on campus buy a food plan, no thank you USM. Yes the university has its pros and cons, but what about the city of Portland, Maine? This is a food-lover's dream city. All the way from Ethiopian, to Iraqi, Vietnamese, and Italian, there's a restaurant for your taste buds! Ultimately, I am happy I chose to attend USM because I am paying my tuition in cash and will graduate debt free. How often do you hear that nowadays? Yes, I work AND am a full-time biology student, but paying my tuition in whole each semester is great perk of the university, it is very affordable! I would highly recommend USM to any instate high school students looking for a quality education without the debt. Yes, it is possible!

Laura

I have enjoyed attending the University of Southern Maine so far. I have grown up in Maine and the campus is only 45 minutes from my parents house which means I can go home regularly. I love being an art student and I haven't met an art professor who I don't like. The arts community is wonderful and I love being around people who have similar interests as me. I lived in Robie Andrews for 2 years and loved it Living on campus was so fun and being around my friends everyday was so worth it. I feel as though every bit of my college experience so far as USM has been worth it.

I love it here! this school has everything i'm looking for! the classes are just the right size, the academics are challenging and interesting, the other students here are some of the nicest people i've ever met! I would advise everyone to go here if i could!

Kabena

I love it. I actually transferred from another college, and I can honestly say that that was probably one of the best decisions I made concerning school wise. The first day that I toured USM i fell in love. This school made me feel safe and I just felt like I was at home.

Amy

Portland, Maine is a great city and it creates a rich and vibrant lifestyle for students and professionals. The University of Maine provides a small college experience within a socially focused and inclusive environment and is an ideal setting for the individual focused on both the quality of his or her education and the overall experience.

Sam

I personally thik that it's a great school I would recommend anyone to come to this school. The academics program is very good and our athletic program is just as good. Our indoor track team was in the top-15 in the country for division 3. Student life is great as well becasue everyone seems to get along with everyone and there are fun things to do locally that make living on campus fun.

M

This review will be about how the administration handles the different situations. I had to redo an assignment for one of my classes a while back, which I did and got a perfect score. This information was not communicated between the administration staff and I received an email telling me that I was being dismissed from my program. The staff removed me from my classes before telling me and have been very slow in returning my emails. While waiting for responses I tried to re-enroll myself in the courses that I was taken out of and found that one of them closed from the time I was taken out. I'm am 100% not impressed with how this situation was handled. It's basically setting the student up for failure when you tell them this information 1 week before the semester starts and expect them to figure out what to do next. Then, the fact that I was removed from my classes before I was even informed of anything is not acceptable. There are only two things keeping me from transferring: 1.) The tuition is in the range of what I can afford and 2.) some of the classes I've already completed wouldn't transfer over to the same program at another college.

Yahye

It is great school and there are a lot opportunities on campus and off campus. Most of the professors are help full and are willing to help! Specially in the science field.

Chance

I like the school a lot but at the same time feel as though I’m back in high school as my highschool was in need of renovations and the University of Southern Maine needs some serious renovations, as the elevators need a huge upgrade due to the fact they continue to get stuck in certain buildings and also look very dirty and destroyed so much so that it’s like where’s my money going certainly not to what’s needed on campus. I think if the school renovated a lot of things there would be a higher count of student also another problem is the fact some professors have very strong accents that as a student who has gone through this can’t understand and had to change to a online course to be able to complete homework since the accent was to strong.

Katherine

I came to the University of Southern Maine in 2017 from Rhode Island, and I felt it had so much more to offer than the colleges I had looked at in my home state. I fell in love with the area and welcoming atmosphere, but most of all, I felt like I was getting a proper college education.

Laci

I have visited USM multiple times, and everytime I am reminded of why I chose to go there! I am so excited to be attending USM, and am glad to be part of the Huskies. My pride runs far and true to USM. It is a very beautiful college, in an amazing location. I know I will be inspired to do great things!

Joshua

I think its a great school. It has its ups and down. But for being a smaller state school I think they do a great job. The professors are always present and are very knowledgable in their subject and are always prepared. I would definitely recommend USM to other students.

John

I personally love this university from the split campus between Portland and Gorham, to the amazing track team. I feel very at home here and I plan to stay here for my entire college career. There could be healthier food, but the lack of health food is made up for by the extensive extracurricular events and sports.

Morgan

My professional life started when I walked into my first class at University of Southern Maine. I feel supported by my teachers and inspired by my fellow students. In the past, when I have looked towards the future -- I never could see a clear goal. Having been at this school for not even two full semesters, I already have a vision and clear steps forward. If you like a small-town feel with big-town opportunities, try USM. Go huskies!

Meghan

It's not bad but it's not great. The food could be better and I wish there were more sports going on. Some dorms need some work. The place is great, many off-campus things to do. I love the people I have met, this campus is very diverse. My professors are so far great, very helpful in and out of class.