Hattiesburg, MS
University of Southern Mississippi

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend University of Southern Mississippi

Timothy

The University of Mississippi has a fairly small campus compared to most accredited universities, but its compact nature is quite a convenience when trying to get from my dorm to class or the campus cafeteria (which is fantastic). Also, I had been told numerous times before coming here that its history department was fantastic, which has been very true indeed. Overall, the friendliness of the community and a fantastic faculty make Southern Miss a great campus.

I would most certainly tell myself to work as hard as hard as I can in my last year and to retake the ACT exam. Although I was really satisfied with my score of 27, I felt that higher would not have only been better, but would have also assisted me in obtaining my scholarships. Speaking of, I would also tell myself to work harder towards scholarships because it is only now that I realize how hard it is to come across money for my education. Finally, I would make sure to let myself know to not worry as much as I did and understand that college is a good experience that will act as a benefit for my adult life.

Someone who is serious about a continuing education should definately look into Southern Miss. If you have the will and determination, Southern Miss will be there to cater to your academic needs. The school offers a large variety of majors so that if you are not entirely sure about the career you wish to pursue, you will have oppurunity to get plenty of the information you need. It is alsow worth mentioning that Southern Miss houses perhaps the finest polymer science institute in the nation. Attending this college has been a hugely awarding experience.

Nora

Please meet with advicers and if you have a learning disablity of any kind go to The office of Disablity and accomodations. I was ashamed of my ruling of ADHD and tryed to keep it a secret. They should be ashamed and should get all help the can get. So they can succeed in school. I am very close to finally graduating but now I have no more financial aid from Government. It has taken me a while to graduate with my disablity. Get help. Talk to people and reveal all yourself. If you are struggling go talk to someone until someone listens.

Person wanting to better themslves. Get a good education.

Communication and help for students with ADHD

Joseph

Well, I would first tell myself to apply for as many colleges as I could. i recieved many scholarship opportunities, but I was set on going to a particular school and became too narrow minded. As a result, I am going to USM with no scholarships because the college I wanted to go to did not work out. I would also tell myself to take some more classes, such as Physics, Biology II, and Chemistry II. Finally i would tell myself to study. I have never had to study before, so it's been an interesting experience getting used to studying.

It's big. I come from a smaller town, so it's different and I enjoy it. It is also very diverse, in fact, I've met all kinds of new people whose interests, backgrounds, and ideas differ completely from my own.

It's large enough to have amazing professors, opportunities, and funding, but not so large that the class sizes are unbearable. As a marine biology major, it is very important to me that USM has an excellent marine biology program, in fact the top in Mississippi.

Alyssa

It is a small school, but we have a lot of pride in our academics.

It is a small school, but we have a lot of pride in our academics.

If I could go back in time and talk to myself as a high school senior I would first tell myself not to worry. College is not as scary as I thought it would be. It is full of very helpful students and professors. The professors have office hours that I can attend, and many on campus recources such as writing and speaking centers that are more than willing to help with assignments. The transition between being a high school senior to a college freshmen is very smooth. Second, I would have told myself to build better study skills, and to be more responsible for keeping up with my own work instead of relying on my teachers. Third, I would tell myself to be better organized with my notes and handouts because they have a tendacy to show up again and again in college. Lastly, I would tell myself to enjoy college, and to thank my parents for forcing me to wake up everyday to go to school because it has built good habbits for attending classes in college.

It is a smal campus that is easy to walk around and to get to classes easy. Our campus has one of the top rated Polymer Science programs, and is one of the only colleges in the state that offer national certification for students studying to be teachers. Our school has a lot of pride and spirit, and our football team has been to a few bowl games (football).

Arthur

My school is a wonderful school after only attending classes for two days because am a transfer student.

One thing to do is to stay focused on academics and get invovled in organizations. Stay away from people how wantsts to hender you and be a role model for somebody else. Put plenty of time in classroom assignments because in the end it will all pay off.

Somebody with plenty of school pride should attend The University of Southern Mississippi.

Simon

The advice that i would give myself is to not take college as a joke. It is easy to not go to class because there was no one making me. By not going to class i was hurting myself in the long run because i fell behind very fast. Be responsible, its fun to go and hang out with friends and party but thats not what college is suppose to be about. Work on not procrastinating so much because I would end up putting to much pressure on myself and not succeeding. Set up a chart or schedule of when you have class, when you have homework/study time and when you can have free time. I know it all sounds lame but believe me it is better to be neat and organized. Dont be afraid to ask your professors for help, even if they cant help you alot. It's a whole new ball game. A big difference from high school. Instead its you yourself that you have to take care of, no ones going to do it for you.

Danielle

USM is filled with oppurtunities and many different majors of study available.

USM is filled with oppurtunities and many different majors of study available.

I would tell "my high school self" to save my graudation money and not blow it on clothes and food! I would tell myself to save it and use it for my tution. I would also tell myself to not take so many hard classes together and work at the hospital daycare that is close by and save that money for school tution and books! I would give my high school self a serious talk about the finanical situation I am in now and how if I saved my graudation money and worked at that daycare I would probably not have as many loans.

Parking on campus is awful but they are building a parking garage!

Stormi

I believe the University of Southern Mississippi is best known for their music program. The Pride of Mississippi is one of the largest organizations on campus. Their music program challenges its students and gives them the opportunities they need to succeed.

I would tell myself to keep my notes from my classes and to challenge myself more. I would explain to myself that when I got up there I didn't feel like I had reached my full potiental in high school. By telling myself to challenge myself more I would feel more comfortable moving into a different atmosphere where others are challenging me and I'm not comfortable with it because I wasn't challenged enough then.

It offers a variety of fields to choose from. People can decide to change their major without having to transfer to a different school.

Karly

First of all I would tell myself to do more work than the teachers require me to do. The reason for that is because the more work a students does the better. I have learned in many classes that on the test there are things that we did not review in class, but the materials are in the book. My major is nursing and studying well will get me far. One thing that has followed me from high school are my studying habits. Those habits from high school are not very usefull in college. In high school I did not study the way I should have but my grades were how I wanted them to be. College is very different because I can not study days before the test like high school. The last thing I would tell myself is to apply for many scholarships because college is not cheap. Hopefully I recieve this scholarship, it will help a lot. Thank You

The best thing about my school is the surroundings. There are many things students can get involved in, on and off campus.

The type of person that isn't fit for this school is people that don't do good around a mass group of people.

Melissa

I would have to tell myself that I would be able to overcome my negative parents' belief that I wasn't worth going to the college of my choosing, that they would only contribute to the cost of a relatively inexpensive state school instead of the college of my dreams. I'd tell myself that I was worth fighting for- that the college of my dreams is even better than I imagined, and that I fit in and felt like I belonged from the very first visit. Even though it was scary leaving home, it was also the most exciting and exhilirating thing that I have ever done, and I wouldn't change a thing. Maybe I appreciate it more because I had to do it on my own. Maybe I should thank my parents for that.

University of Southern Mississippi administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.