University of Southern Mississippi

« See more reviews of University of Southern Mississippi

My school has an unusual Honors College which consists of two programs: General Honors and Senior Honors. Senior Honors is what made me want to attend USM. Instead of simply taking smaller, more advanced classes, Senior Honors students are challenged to contribute to their field of study through research. It is a two-year program in which students begin scholarly work in their field, first picking a topic and adviser from their department and then developing, researching, and writing a thesis. Because the program is research based, it gives students pre-graduate experience, doing near-graduate-level work.

The University of Southern Mississippi is unique compared to the other schools I considered because the faculty seemed to care that we would choose them. When touring another school, I actually heard an employee say aside that it did not matter if any of us applying freshmen came to the university or not because they did not need a bunch of rednecks at their school. My experience at Southern Miss was completely different. They made me feel valued, had the knowledge to answer my questions, and actively took an interest in me. These attributes continued throughout my freshmen year.

I think my school is unique from my other choice because of the people that attend the school. The other school I considered was a historically black school. I know that the student population would have been majority black. I enjoy the diversity at the University of Southern Mississippi. I also feel that USM was a better choice becasue for safety reasons. At the other school that was an issue. From my background of going to private schools, I felt more comfortable at a diverse college. I also think my degree would stand out more coming from this school.

Southern Miss University is an awesome school to attend. The unique thing about my school is they are very organized and care about your future. I have talked to some of my friends and they have told me that the schools they attend do not care about their well being and grades. Southern Miss will post your grades th next day, send you emails, and updates about things going on throughout the campus. I love Southern Miss, this have been my first choice of school before I graduated high school.

The University of Mississippi has a fairly small campus compared to most accredited universities, but its compact nature is quite a convenience when trying to get from my dorm to class or the campus cafeteria (which is fantastic). Also, I had been told numerous times before coming here that its history department was fantastic, which has been very true indeed. Overall, the friendliness of the community and a fantastic faculty make Southern Miss a great campus.

The most unique thing about my school is that is different. The reason is beacuse it is shown by different people from different places. That is what I like about this school. It shows you that you can go fat in life and have the oppurtunity to do what ever you want to accomplish in life. Not only the school helpful and understanding, but the surrounding area over all is just so much fun and exciting. There is always something to do with friends and family.

I am currently in the nursing program at USM, and I find it convenient and unique that they are getting an anesthesia program. This is the first school in the state of Mississippi to get this program. I am excited because I plan to furthur my studies in this particular program, and I am excited that I do not have to go out of the state of Ms.

The University of Southern Mississippi offers an affordable accredited education. When comparing the University of Southern Mississippi to other schools, I found that most universities charge more for online classes. As of right now, this is not the case with the University of Southern Mississippi.

I actually went to Ole Miss before attending Southern Miss and I just didn't feel like I fit in there. As soon as I transferred to Southern, I felt at home. Everyone made me feel so welcome and would include me in their activities and helped me to make friends. I can't imagine myself anywhere else.

Southern Miss is completely student centered. In my searching, Southern was the only school that seemed inviting and willing to work with me. I couldn't believe how much I felt like I belonged when I visited the campus. Oh, and the music program is extraordinary.