University of Southern Mississippi Top Questions

Dominique

Southern Miss University is an awesome school to attend. The unique thing about my school is they are very organized and care about your future. I have talked to some of my friends and they have told me that the schools they attend do not care about their well being and grades. Southern Miss will post your grades th next day, send you emails, and updates about things going on throughout the campus. I love Southern Miss, this have been my first choice of school before I graduated high school.

The University of Southern Mississippi offers an affordable accredited education. When comparing the University of Southern Mississippi to other schools, I found that most universities charge more for online classes. As of right now, this is not the case with the University of Southern Mississippi.

Kelsi

The faculty and staff go above and beyond to help you in anyway that is necessary because they truly care about your academic success and want you to ultimately enjoy your experience.

Hope

This school is really focused on Greek life and sports.

Keri

I am currently in the nursing program at USM, and I find it convenient and unique that they are getting an anesthesia program. This is the first school in the state of Mississippi to get this program. I am excited because I plan to furthur my studies in this particular program, and I am excited that I do not have to go out of the state of Ms.

Lanette

The University of Southern Mississippi has wonderful healthcare programs. I chose the university, because I wanted to be a Medical Technologist and USM had the best program.

Brian

USM is a welcoming environment with affordable tuition. Also known as a great university for the sciences, which as a Pre-Veterinary Medicine student is invaluable. Campus is beautiful, Hattiesburg area is affordable to live in while studying.

Kimberly

It was closer to home and academic advisors great at helping students make decisions concerning their education.

Sandra

The Gulf Coast Campus is unique because the advisors & teachers will do anything to help you out. They want you to do good in the career path you have chosen.

Scarlett

The University of Southern Mississippi is unique compared to the other schools I considered because the faculty seemed to care that we would choose them. When touring another school, I actually heard an employee say aside that it did not matter if any of us applying freshmen came to the university or not because they did not need a bunch of rednecks at their school. My experience at Southern Miss was completely different. They made me feel valued, had the knowledge to answer my questions, and actively took an interest in me. These attributes continued throughout my freshmen year.

Martha

The gender of people. Everyone is so kind and helpful and its a great place in the South to be at.

Timothy

The University of Mississippi has a fairly small campus compared to most accredited universities, but its compact nature is quite a convenience when trying to get from my dorm to class or the campus cafeteria (which is fantastic). Also, I had been told numerous times before coming here that its history department was fantastic, which has been very true indeed. Overall, the friendliness of the community and a fantastic faculty make Southern Miss a great campus.

Kathryn

I actually went to Ole Miss before attending Southern Miss and I just didn't feel like I fit in there. As soon as I transferred to Southern, I felt at home. Everyone made me feel so welcome and would include me in their activities and helped me to make friends. I can't imagine myself anywhere else.

Robyn

I think my school is unique from my other choice because of the people that attend the school. The other school I considered was a historically black school. I know that the student population would have been majority black. I enjoy the diversity at the University of Southern Mississippi. I also feel that USM was a better choice becasue for safety reasons. At the other school that was an issue. From my background of going to private schools, I felt more comfortable at a diverse college. I also think my degree would stand out more coming from this school.

Jonathan

Southern Miss is completely student centered. In my searching, Southern was the only school that seemed inviting and willing to work with me. I couldn't believe how much I felt like I belonged when I visited the campus. Oh, and the music program is extraordinary.

Grace

My school has an unusual Honors College which consists of two programs: General Honors and Senior Honors. Senior Honors is what made me want to attend USM. Instead of simply taking smaller, more advanced classes, Senior Honors students are challenged to contribute to their field of study through research. It is a two-year program in which students begin scholarly work in their field, first picking a topic and adviser from their department and then developing, researching, and writing a thesis. Because the program is research based, it gives students pre-graduate experience, doing near-graduate-level work.

J

I is a large university located in a large town with down to earth people and surrounded by a rural community.

Rebecca

The sororities do not live in their own houses. They used to live in dorms when I first came to this school, and recently they built a sorority village.

Taylor

My school is unique because it provides such a variety of courses and extracurricular activities.

Its in a beautiful town that has lots for college students to do while on campus.

Morgan

50 minutes from New Orleans, Louisiana.

Paul

My school is small. Everyone is friendly. The teachers and advisors know the students and do everything they can to help. Classes are small for the most part and that is very good.

Chyra

The most unique thing about my school is that is different. The reason is beacuse it is shown by different people from different places. That is what I like about this school. It shows you that you can go fat in life and have the oppurtunity to do what ever you want to accomplish in life. Not only the school helpful and understanding, but the surrounding area over all is just so much fun and exciting. There is always something to do with friends and family.

teshawn

I was going to attend a hbcu at first but then decided on my current school. it is more diverse as far as in ethnicity

We have lots of older students returning to school

Jonathan

It small enought to enjoy the campus but it very large where the importance of a school and extra activities. The school is in the middle of a small metro city so the ability to get anything you need is easy. Like shopping, entertainment, and restaurants.

Millie

There really is not much special about USM compared to the other schools I considered attending. I ended up going to USM because it was the most cost effective and the Graphics department is very nice.

Laura

The Luckyday program which is based on community service and involvement. The Luckyday program was one of the main reasons I enrolled at USM because community envolvement was already such a big part of my life.

Paul

Great environment, love the South!