University of Southern Mississippi

« See more reviews of University of Southern Mississippi

The professors were among the best things about my school. Professors at USM were extremely helpful when needed. However, they were challenging at the same token. These professors pushed us to the extreme to be the best, most successful musicians we wanted to be. If we were students who were extremely competitive, then they gave us the tools to work toward those goals. Professors were awesome about bringing people in who were "celebrities", according to our major, to teach us to be more than we could be. Additionally, we learned more skills to take with us into the real world.

The best thing about my school is the people. Everyone is so different, whether it be politically, culturally, or socially. I literally meet someone new everyday who opens my mind up to new ideas or possibilities. The professors are always inviting students to visit with them, even the really scary professors. Southern Miss is the only place I know where I can ask total strangers if can I join their frisbee game, and I am wholeheartedly accepted into the group. By the end of the game, the people I played with were no longer strangers. Instead, they were new friends.

I would consider the different student activities on campus to be the best thing that The University of Southern Mississippi offers. There are over 280 student organizations that any student can get involved on campus. A studnet that is not intersted in any of the student organizations that a he or she can create an organization. Southern Miss is best for the students an people that run the organizations and the staff that advise them. The people and the amount of organizations is the most important things here at The University of Southern Mississippi.

We are a college school, the alumni pour tons into the sport, plus our art department has wonderful performances, concerts and art shows. We are exposed to all sorts of events that take place on and off campus, the adminstrative staff is helpful with shows and events that take place and we are given ample opportunities to showcase work and other projects while attending. We interact with the different courses such as theatre and sciences labs, outdoor classes and many more. Our motto "To the Top" is just that we will all rise to the top of our goals.

Aside from the stellar Honors College which I already mentioned, I think that our strong student to teacher ratio really allows the instructors to spend the necessary time with their students. The teachers at USM are very approachable and willing to help their students. This enable students, such as myself, to feel as if we can go to our instructors during their office hours and talk to them after class. It also allows teachers to learn about their students on a personal level which helps build good student-teacher relations.

I am really impressed with the study abroad opportunities at USM. As an undergrad student double majoring in Spanish and International Studies, it is one of my main goals to study abroad. I have chosen to go to Spain next year and I was really happy with the amount of help and feedback I got from the Study Abroad office. It was a personal experience, and unlike a lot of the other processes at the school, I didn't get the run-around and I wasn't hurried out of the office - I felt ready for the next step.

The best thing about my school is how everyone is free to express themselves. The school focuses on the individual and is excited when the student body is sure of who they are and what they want out of life. Southern encourages self expression and wants to know what each person thinks and feels. Everyone and everything is accepted at Southern. No one has to worry about feeling left out or "weird." The University of Southern Mississippi is very welcoming.

I think the best thing about my school is the size of the classes. There are less than 10 lecture size classrooms on campus so classes are usually intimate. This allows for you to get to know your professors and them to get to know you. It also allows you to meet other students in your classes which you wouldn't ordinarily get to meet or talk to. Becoming so close to the people you are studying with allows for you to really learn a lot more about your subjects.

The best thing about my school is that you always feel at home. There is always something to do or a club to be involved with. From attending the football games to having a picnic outside, there is never a dull moment. Since USM makes many things convenient, it is easy for anyone to enjoy themselves without the hassle.

I believe the best thing about my school is how sincere and welcoming everyone is around campus. Each day I know I can smile at or help a random person because almost always they are very appreciative and return the favor! It is very easy to make friends, join study groups, and just enjoy the beautiful campus!