University of Southern Mississippi Campus Life Reviews

Overall Review for University of Southern Mississippi

Simeon

I am a freshman at the University of Southern Mississippi. It's hard to give an accurate review since most of my time is spent in my dorm online because of COVID-19. I can say that my school has done a great job of keeping students informed and enforcing masks and social distancing. There are a variety of resources and extracurriculars available to students. My main problem is that I am a work-study student, and the financial aid department has not been very clear when I bring them my questions.

Leah

Let me start off by saying, I never knew that I could love a place so much until I started attending The University of Southern Mississippi. I have always been the type to travel away from home and immediately get homesick, but that was not the case after I moved on campus for my first year of college. It immediately felt like home. The staff was so welcoming and were willing to help with anything that I needed assistance with. All of the people on campus are nice and friendly and just within my first year, I have made some unbreakable bonds. The University of Southern Mississippi will always be number one in my eyes. SMTTT, forever.

Sherrie

If I had to give it a score from 1 to 10 with 10 being the best overall experience for four years, I would give it a 6 out of 10. There were a mix of good and bad experiences there. From very fun football games and parties to horrible food in the cafeteria, I had a slightly favorable memories at USM. For my s, there were plenty of academic and research opportunities including tutoring sessions. Some administrative things needed to be changed, but USM always encouraged feedback from the students with semester ending surveys. It was also a midsize schools so you could find a group of people you have things in common.

Jasmin

Southern Mississppi is an overall great school. There is always a friendly face around campus and a lot of school spirit from the students, teachers, and staff. It is an amazing environment to be in where academics come first, but there is always time for involvement and making new friends.

Shundrell

I love The University of Southern Mississippi. As a first year student, I fell in love with the friendly atmosphere. People are always around to help, and there is always something to get involved in. Also, my school's diversity is astonishing. I believe that diversity is highly appreciated at Southern Miss.

Kasey

The University of Southern Mississippi was honestly my dream college. I am so excited to be a student here and I absolutely love it. The campus is beautiful and everyone is so friendly and helpful. The professors are generally helpful if I don't understand something and are great at making me interested in the topic.

Sabrina

I love the campus, the teachers, and the housing options. The food is not great, but the surrounding environment has plenty of cheap, good places to eat. Teachers are quick to respond and are always willing to help. The financial office is a bit confusing but someone is always there to answer your questions.

The University of Southern Mississippi has always been a dream school for me. I have always wanted to be apart of the great Golden Eagles. The campus is nice and the people are very friendly. I enjoyed touring the campus. The experience was amazing and I have recommended several of my classmates to the school. There are plenty of nearby restaurants and many on-campus restaurants. In my opinion, I believe this is one of the best schools in Mississippi.

I have had an overwhelmingly positive experience with USM during my application process, on-campus events, and while taking my online graduate classes. Every staff person whom I have contacted during the past year has been eager to and helpful in answering all of my questions. The campus is beautiful and all-inclusive, and the courses I have taken thus far have been suburb.

Shekinah

I love Southern Miss because it is very diverse. The campus security is great and there is a variety of activities to do and clubs to join. Also, it is a very friendly campus. My first year at Southern Miss I had a roommate and I was so scared who I'd be rooming with me at first but turns out my roommate and I became best of friends and it was a fun year overall!

Throughout the three months I have attended the University of Southern Mississippi (USM), I have loved everything about it! The professors are very challenging; however, they are willing to help you understand and learn. There are so many extracurricular activities that students can be involved in. By attending USM I have learned many things about myself and developed better relationships with people. USM has become my second home!

b

Maintenance came into my room on mandatory cleaning day and stole my shower curtain from my dorm. When I called the next day to inquire about it, I was informed that it was not their responsibility and that I'd have to just get another.

Destynee

USM is an amazing school with amazing people. There are a few things that can be modified, especially the food and dorms. The academics are what was expected, so they are okay. Always room for improvement. The main concern is the food prices and dorm rules. We spend most of our time on campus, so it should be fun and not terrible.

Marlie

I love my school! The teachers are great and seem to really care about how well we do and making sure we learn the knowledge needed to get jobs right out of school. They are always there in some form or fashion to help us when we have questions. My fellow classmates are pretty great, themselves. I am enjoying making so many new friends and the opportunity that USM is giving me to connect and learn in this wonderful community! The only downfall for me would have to be the parking issue but that is gradually getting better. I suppose they are doing something right with how fast they are growing! SOUTHERN MISS TTT!

Sequerstin

USM is a great school. There are always on campus activities to get involved in. Professors want to see you succeed and will offer you help. Career services are always willing to help you find internships or critique your resumé. The campus is very diverse which is great because you'll be exposed to different cultures.

Kiana

Overall great school that understands it's place within the educational field. The instructors treated every student as a person not a number to be pushed through the system.My experiences with faculty and campus resources were both terrific.This school is great. There are TERRIFIC programs. If you're going for something else, then you might not have the terrific experience I have had. However, campus atmosphere is great.

Victoria

USM is an involvement school. If your not involved in Greek Life, or a member of any team, there's really nothing for you to do. Sure we have different departments that focus on literally every thing you can think of but really that's all a show. After all, we need to obtain the image of a college.

DeAndria

I Love it! The atmosphere is very welcoming and diverse.

Cody

The University of Southern Mississippi has provided me with a plethora of opportunities and experiences. The staff and faculty here care about my academic and financial success. Southern Miss has even let me travel the world with its internationally recognized Southern Chorale. I absolutely love it here. Also, having a Chik-fil-a on campus isn't half bad either. There are a variety of stores and food locations within walking distance and USM really has a gorgeous campus. The teachers are dedicated, concerned, and prioritize you as a student.

University of Southern Mississippi is a perfect sized campus with enough diversity and familiarity to feel at home. The atmosphere of the campus during football season is fun-filled and there are plenty of other extracurricular activities to do! The campus has a variety of activities to do and services to offer.

Malaysia

I honestly love it! Its by far the B E S T school ever ! Beautiful campus and the students and administrational so nice and welcoming. Why would anyone not go to The University of Southern Mississippi?!? #GoGold

Karyn

Southern Miss is a great place. I will be attending in the Fall for the first time. I have visited a couples of time. They have multiple of places on campus to eat. They have a very nice, neat, and clean coffee shop. The advisors and student support services seem very involved in the students education. I will be glad to attend this school in the Fall.

Kathleen

The University of Southern Mississippi is a great university with a thriving musical arts department. Everyone seems to get along relatively well and the music program always has something going on for people to attend. The campus isn't all about parties and Greek life; that's just one aspect of the multi-faceted school. The university strives for inclusion and wants everyone to feel welcome and at home.

Cameron

The University of Southern Mississippi is the perfect in-between school. The campus is not too big and not too far. It's only about an hour away from major cities and has a great location. This university is the perfect school for students looking for a more laid back and relaxing college experience.

Julie

I absolutely love it! It is a fantastic school, and I recommend it to everyone! They are incredibly helpful and know what they are talking about! The classes are a good size, and it is not overwhelming in the classroom. The professors are available to answer questions when needed, and I think that is the best part of this school! I truly do enjoy this school, and I am glad I attend USM to further my education!

Kimberly

I really enjoy my time here at USM. Of all my experiences with other colleges/universities, I have found that USM has the most open and upfront offices (admissions, financial aid, student life, etc.). If ever I've had an issue, the university staff is very helpful either solving the issue or directing me to someone who can. Parking on campus can be a nightmare however.

Paulette

It is an awesome place to be a part of, but it is also expensive. From the loud shouting in The Rock during a good football game, or any other athletic event, to the classrooms, where we learn and strive to be our best. There are also plenty of clubs that have events that allow the public to take part of. Fried fish Fridays can give the home line in the Fresh extremely long, but it is worth the wait. There are plenty of places to study, hang out with friends or to be alone to yourself when you need your down time. Best believe I am bursting with pride to be a proud Golden Eagle.

Sierra

It is a very well, safe, fun school. I highly recommend coming, I do so ever recommend staying else where than in the dorms, because there is always something wrong, like this week the water turned yellow with a foul color and its been like that for a week.

Katelin

Anyone you meet here is more than willing to help you with anything whether it be someone in your department or your professors. The academics are some of the best in the country for my major, and others as well. All in all, USM has made my first year of college better then I could of imagined.

J

Southern Miss is an excellent university, and I am proud to call myself a Golden Eagle for life. The campus is beautiful, the people are friendly, and the professors are top notch. I will always treasure the relationships I forged with my professors and peers, and I will always shout—and loudly might I add—To the Top!

ReShaunna

The University of Southern Mississippi really wants its students to succeed and it shows. There are so many programs on campus and such to help a student suffering with any and all types of problems. No matter if its academically, mentally, emotionally, physically. There is something to help every student be the best that they can be as safely as they can be it. Now this is an expensive school, but its not the most expensive school I’ve seen, far from it. If anything, I would say that the school is only as expensive as one could afford because there are multiple options students can take in order to cover the cost. Southern Mississippi is also very diverse and accepting. There is this group that comes on campus that is kind of anti LGBTQ and uses the bible as a weapon, but students have banded together to combat their negative opinions and what they have produced is honestly beautiful displays of love and acceptance. This is a public institution, so I don’t think the institution can stop those people from coming on campus, but in no way would I say they endorse their message and they are peaceful protesters, they say their peace and leave and as America I can say they can have their time and go on about there day. I love the University and that’s my complete and honest opinion, and I think anyone who comes will love it too. They also a lot of ways to get connected and involved around campus.

Southern Miss is the best choice I could have made for myself, and I recommend every one to look into this school! Southern Miss staff and faculty are always encouraging students to put their academics first, while getting involved on the campus as much as possible. Southern Miss is a family, and we are always striving to leave Southern Miss better than we found it. Southern Miss To The Top!!!

Tyla

Overall, I have enjoyed my first year at the University of Southern Mississippi. I love how nice the students and professors are. Anytime I have a problem the professors are there to listen and help me out. The only thing that I wish would change is the amount of theft that happens on campus. This semester I got my bike stolen and the police department did not do anything about it. Although, aside from that I met really nice people and I enjoy attending this school.

Cyndi

I am enrolled and will be starting classes here in the fall of 2018 so I have not had the opportunity to be in the classroom yet to evaluate. I will be staying on campus and have had the opportunity to tour my dorm and am very excited. I will also be involved in the sports and I plan to be involved in a sorority as well. I have found a lot of opportunities for involvement at USM and look forward to getting started.

Jada

I love The University of Southern Mississippi for so many reasons . The school itself is one big safe home , you never have to worry about anything bad happening to your or even getting in harms way . The staff is so friendly and helpful within the learning environment & there is so many useful resources at the school . This is a wonderful school to attend SMTTT.

amari

Southern is a beautiful campus with diverse students. The campus is extremely welcoming; almost like a second home. The interaction between students is great, everyone knows everyone. USM seems to be like one big family. The faculty seems very encouraging with their students

John

This university is located in a college town, so there is a small town feel. Part of the campus is fenced with a security checkpoint at the front entrance. The back is open to the public, but I never heard much in terms of crimes committed on the campus, but there were a couple of armed incidences just off campus. All the teachers are pretty nice and you can get to know them since the campus is pretty small. If you're a minority then you stick out enough that some teachers know who you are before you even get to talk to them. Due to the smaller town, there aren't as many opportunities for volunteering. I attempted to volunteer at Forrest General, but after applying online a few times, visiting in person, and spending 6 months I decided it wasn't worth the time wasted. There are small hospitals nearby and the student clinic was great. The gym is a decent size, but the weight room could be increased.

Brianna

This college has a very good reputation. The spirit of this school is very welcoming. We rarely have any negativity and we all work as a family. I really love this university and invite others to come. I feel that anyone can succeed within this school campus and I really encourage people to visit this school.

Jessie

The University of Southern Mississippi is now a place where I call home. I moved to Hattiesburg, Mississippi from Florida and in a short amount of time I have had the best experience. Being a cheerleader for the university has helped me get involved in so many ways, as well as meeting so many new bright faces around campus. All of my professors have been so understanding, and are always there for extra help to my classmates and I. I am looking forward to an amazing year at The University of Southern Mississippi.

holly

Southern Mississippi is truly my dream school and I love everything about it. I feel safe knowing that campus police are active 24/7 and that my campus isn't terribly big. I fell in love with USM the first day I walked on campus and have been in love with it since! #SMTTT

Blade

During my time at USM I have made friends that will last a lifetime. USM provides a safe learning environment to study and attend classes. I feel overall though the USM values my money more than my education due to their constant increases to fees for parking, tuition, and book costs.

natasha

I am glad to be there. There are fun things to do for everyone. The age varies so it can be challenging in the classroom. The financial aid department sucks. The security is light especially at night. I don't know why. The school could do better in that area.

Isaiah

In my opinion, USM is a great school. If you have all of your financial aid situated, the rest should flow smoothly. It is a very academic school that gets straight to the point, which is a good and bad thing. It is a good think because we finish early, but it is a bad thing because you have a plethora of homework to finish.

Kaitlynn

This University is overall very incredible. I have been provided so many opportunities and am always getting involved in something new. The facilities and class sizes are my favorite attributes. The city of Hattiesburg is a little cluttered, but it provides endless places to explore. The university has really helped make this feel like my home away from home with all of the effort they put in to each individuals future.

Kanisha

The University of Southern Mississippi is unique. There is no other school like it here in Mississippi. The students here are so diverse and friendly. The facilities and organizations they have are endless and you can find your spot doing something easily. Yes, it could use some work in certain areas but the faculty​ here are doing everything they can to make sure you succeed. USM To The Top!

Will

Although I am not a current student of University of Southern Mississippi (USM), I have lots of friends who are currently attending or attended in the past. I plan on attending in Spring 2019. It's a great school in a great community. It's close to home which will still afford me the opportunities to be with my family regularly.

Meia

In my opinion this school is a great school. It has a wonderful campus. The students there make you feel welcome and the professors make you want to learn. I had visited this school for a weekend and I really enjoyed the learning and peaceful enviornment. I hope that I am capable of being able to going to school here after my senior year of highschool.

Shyanna

The University of Southern Mississippi is a greatly school to attend in the south. This school has always been my first choice when I knew what college was. I have met some of the greatest people (teachers and peers) and I highly recommend this school.

Avery

As soon as I step foot on campus, I knew Southern Miss was the place for me. From the energetic students, to the helpful advisors and mentors, Southern Miss is a place where you can not only be prepared for your career, but you can also experience the other fun things about college, like game days, student involvement, and, my favorite, the food!

Josh

The University Of Southern Mississippi is a great school to attend. There are many reasons, but i will only lay out a few. The College professors are understanding and willing to work with their students, as well as relay information so that they understand it. The atmosphere is second to none, the Gulf coast campus is right on the water and has beautiful scenery. And if the day is stormy or wet, the library has something for everyone, including student work centers. This college is great and i highly recommend it.