University of Southern Mississippi Campus Life Reviews

Overall Review for University of Southern Mississippi

julie

It's a great school. I am looking forward to attending in the fall of 2019. I plan on studying Oceanography, which has been a drea of mine since I was a young chils. I grew up on the Mississippi Gulf coast and am very glad that The University of Southen Mississippi offers the classes that I need.

Grace

I think that it's a great school, and I strongly recommend it to incoming kids. I do think that it is a little pricey, but then again so are all colleges. They could offer more scholarships to out of state students. Also, the dorms are very secure, maybe sometimes a little to secure but parents find it comforting. Overall, I love my college and wouldn't trade it for the world.

Jasmine

Overall, Southern Miss is a fantastic school! I love everything about it, the atmosphere, the people, the bond you develop with professors, and so much more. It just makes you feel at home all the time, there's no doubt you won't love it! #SMTTT!!!!!

I love that the campus is small and easy to navigate. My advisors and teachers are always there for me when needed. They have a true interest in all students doing well. The campus library is huge and has all kinds of references to use . Classes are small so I feel like I am getting a great education.

Kaneshia

The University of Southern Mississippi is a great school and warm and welcoming environment. The professors are very helpful and always have office hours available when needed. There are so many exciting things to do on campus and it is never a dull moment.

Khadiya

Southern Miss is a great school! The campus is always so lively, and the people are very friendly. Academics are very important to Southern Miss and that shows in the professors and the students. There are also plenty of other things to do on campus, and the school encourages people to go out and have fun. Just from looking at the pictures on the school website when I was a high school senior, I knew Southern Miss was the school for me. Upon coming to orientation, I knew I had picked the right school for me. I know that I will have funand thrive here.

Skyler

People are always enthusiastic, love their jobs, and generally care about your well-being. The staff is very helpful. There are plenty of resources that can be easily accessed for the students. The campus is big but not to big. Needs more parking for students and way less strict parking laws (they are a bit ridiculous).

Madison

Southern Miss is one college that gets overlooked quite often. Though our sports teams are not the highlight of our success, we excel in many different academic areas. USM is a research-based campus that spends a lot of its time, energy, and money toward advancing and contributing to studies. We have some of the top programs in America, namely, our Schools of Polymers, which is a national leader in that field. While the school provides noteworthy science-related programs, the arts are just as important! Campus is small enough that you will always see familiar faces but large enough that actually feel like you're attending college. We have brilliant professors and top-notch resources.

Angelo

Here at the university, there are a number of activities to keep you occupied when you're not attending the smaller, but effective classes. The campus on the Gulf Coast is smaller, but more easily accessible and overall a great choice for people particularly worrying about the cost of attending. Since there are no dorms here, tuition costs are low.

Mashayla

Southern Miss is an overall good school in my opinion , but there are also people there that can make it either bad or good. You just have to be with the right crowd and make all the right decisions and your campus life here would be fine. The food is great and the campus guides are really helpful.

Erin

Attending the University of Southern Mississippi was one of the best decisions of my life. In my decision to choose a University I was looking for a school that, not only, excelled in Academics, but also, held a high standard for community and organizational involvement. The University of Southern Miss has offered every opportunity to be involved in a variety of different organizations and community events, and has pushed me to excel in my Academics. The professors at my University truly care about student success and that every student will be prepared for graduation and what comes after. Southern Miss To The Top!

Kara

Great classes and teachers but horrible parking. I have only had two teachers that I did not like. For the most part, the teachers care about their students and try to make themselves available to help students outside of class. The classes are hard but if you study and dedicate time to learning the material, you will make good grades. The campus is small with little parking. The parking pass is two hundred dollars for a year.

Byron

I am a current student at the university of Southern Mississippi and the have had nothing but great experiences since I was accepted. This university makes event to involve a wide range of students giving them many option to fully enjoy their college experience. The school in my opinion does a great job of educating it's students and preparing them for a future in the changing world we live in.

Abigail

All it took was one campus visit and I had decided that The University of Southern Mississippi was my first choice for university. More than anything, I know that I am safe on campus and I also know that I will be educated and prepared for my career when I graduate. There campus is innovative and not getting involved in the student life activities on campus is in my opinion a crime! There are so many clubs and organizations that I plan on getting involved in and I just can't wait! I am excited to major in nursing at The University of Southern Mississippi and I cant wait to start my first semester in the fall!

Dashon

I enjoyed my freshman year at the University of Southern Mississippi. The traditions, the school spirit and the sense of community. Everyone welcomed me with open arms. During the first week of school, everyone on my dorm floor sat outside of Scott and really connected. We talked about where we were from, our majors and what we hoped to accomplish this year. It was a surreal experience that allowed me to enter my freshman year with a sense of confidence.

Sierra

My overall opinion of the university is that it could be better. It’s costs 2 arms and 2 legs to live and eat here, and that is excluding the rising of tuition. I wish they would offer students more loans. It’s not easy having to pay a balance over $500+ every semester. A positive thing that I can say is I love the professors. They are always finding time to work with you as long as you do the same. I also love how easy it is to make friends her as well. There are great people here.

Acelyn

Honestly, It's amazing. It has everything you could need and has shops everywhere if you need to get anything and everything in conveniently located around campus so its easy to get around and find anything on campus. Teachers are even easier to access and make appointments with.

M'Bre

The university of Southern Mississippi is a great facility to attend, learn and grow. The campus is a very homey and welcoming campus. There is so much diversity as far as the students that attend. The classes are a great sizes and the professors care about their students. Game days are very exciting and everybody gets involved. Southern miss is a great place for people like you and me.

Travis

They like their sports. I'm not a sports guy, but being an arts student and hearing from professors what goes on behind closed doors, if you're not making money, they don't care. Even if it's something important. That's why sports gets most of the funding. Luckily, there are passionate faculty and staff that make up the difference.

Sanetha

It's a very busy school. I have enjoyed my time there so far. There is something going on every weekend whether that be football games or general activities there is always something going on. The first time I got there I was afraid and a bit homesick but after four years of being there I have learned to love it and have fun.

Molly

Overall, I think the University of Southern Mississippi is a great school. The majority of my professors are very intelligent and helpful, and I'm doing very well so far in all my courses. I have met lots of new people and made lots of friends. I haven't had a chance to join any campus organizations yet, but I would really like to once I have more time. I'm looking forward to the next 4 years here!

Keidria

I attended Magnolia Girl State this past summer (2018) and I lived on campus for one full week and I just fell in Love with their Beautiful campus, nice dormitory, and their campus union. My overall opinion of University of Southern University, it is the best campus that I have ever visited. USM is my new family home.

Gabriella

I am a high school senior and I plan to attend this university in the fall. Over the summer I took a tour of the campus with my best friend and was astonished by how beautiful the campus was and how friendly the students were. I liked that all of my questions were answered and that the tour guide was willing to take me to the other side of the campus and back even though she wasn't required to. I knew from the moment the tour started that I would be safe and comfortable while furthering my education.

Overall I am very pleased with the campus. Most of the professors are very eager to help and the tuition is reasonable as well. I mostly take online classes and I like how they make recorded class lectures available to online students. There are a plethora of online classes available as well.

Aaliyah

I enjoyed my experiences at Southern Miss. There is something for everyone with hundred of student lead organizations, intramural sports etc. I do believe that your experience is what you make it. The more you put in the more you get out. I made so many memories, and I am so thankful that I chose Southern Miss to be my alma mater.

Maggie

The University of Southern Mississippi is my home away from home. Rather than being just a place for education, it is a place for new experiences and accessible opportunities to be successful. The environment is comfortable, and the people are so kind. If you find yourself at USM, your heart will fall for this place time and time again.

Julia

The University of Southern Mississippi exemplifies true southern life. The campus is small and quaint with older buildings that are reminders of a bygone era. The staff is supportive, friendly and loving. They want to help you be a success in all that you do. They are willing to help you find the correct course of study for your life's passion. Finally football! Southern is on the rise and the rock is ready to roll.

Sanjarvius

I love Southern Miss. Even though I wanted to go to Mississippi State when I went to Southern I felt welcomed and at home. Ever since Orientation and looking at everything on campus and experiencing all there is to do on campus i realized Southern was the place for me.

Kelly

The University of Southern Mississippi has a very pleasant atmosphere. There are always upperclassmen and faculty members available to help inside and outside of the classroom. I am constantly academically challenged which helps me continue to grow in my major. I have an overall positive opinion of my school. I will always bleed black and gold!

Ananda

Southern Miss is a amazing school full of diversity, transferring in I did not know what to expect but it turned out to be the best decision I ever made. I encourage all current and upcoming high school seniors to consider the University of Southern Mississippi they will not regret it.

HAILEY

Absolutely love it! It's the PERFECT environment for me. I knew I could never go to a huge school. USM is the prefect size where you can easily find your own group of friends either through our small class sizes or through extra curricular activities. It's a great balance of studying and a bit a relaxation. I am so glad that I am a Golden Eagle and wouldn't want it any other way.

Brionna

The University of Southern Mississippi is an excellent school. One of the reasons that made me decide to attend USM was the overall atmosphere. Southern Miss is a large school that gives the feeling like you are at home. The students, alumni, and faculty at Southern Miss are embracing and supporting. While the school does have some things it could work on, overall Southern Miss is a excellent school and family.

Gabrielle

The school has so much spirit you can feel it as soon as you step on campus. Everyone is so cheerful and full of joy it is everything that i want in a college. The sports division is amazing they have so many amazing choices i will definitely be entering a sport when i attend in the fall.

Ilima

The University of Southern Mississippi was not my first choice for higher education, but due to the financial aid I would be receiving I took a chance. I'm so happy I did now, I've lived in the town of Hattiesburg for about two years now, and can confirm that there is plenty to do if you know where to look. Hardy street is full of amenities, and the people are great. It's only about two hours from the coast, New Orleans, and Pensacola, and has decent weather. The school itself is phenomenal. All of the faculty and staff I've come in contact with are so involved and dedicated to their students. All of my professors have been very easy to get in contact with and the classes are easy to keep up with due to the privileges that are given to USM students with Microsoft and the many library tools. There's always something to do on campus and many clubs and student organizations for so many interests. Overall I was able to confidently finish off this last semester by making the deans list, and I know I owe some of the credit to the professors, the tools I was granted, and the lovely learning/studying environments I encountered. SMTTT!

Oleavia

I love the school will go there in the fall

Greoire

I'm glad i made this choice because it is a great experience . I encourage more people to join the school. The school is nice the teachers or helpful and they have people to help you with your work if you are falling behind so no need to worry. Go eagles To the top!

Veronica

It is an absolutely amazing school, and I encourage anyone who's interested to go. The dorms aren't huge but they are worth living in. The meal plan is definitely worth looking into. The library has great hours for you to go study in whenever you need. It's absolutely amazing.