Saint Paul, MN
University of St Thomas-Saint Paul

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend University of St Thomas-Saint Paul

Molly

A not to small, not to large private college that has a beautiful campus and wonderful atmosphere.

Dear self, There are so many things that I could tell you about how much fun college is, and all the good times you will have throughout your time here, the only hard part is getting adjusted. Believe me when I say that moving to a new place where you do not have any friends and do not know where anything is on campus can be kind of intimidating. My advice to you is to get yourself out there! The first few weeks of school can be hectic and intimidating, but that is the time to make friends and find yourself. Even when it gets hard, and you feel as though things are not working as they should, just know that in the end, everything will work out for the best and you will have the best times of your life and will make life long friends. College is a time to learn about yourself and to become the person you really want to be!

The worst thing about St. Thomas is probably the cost of the Univeristy and the housing. However; the shcool does do a good job of making the price more affordable if you work for it.

James

St. Thomas is most well known for its Business programs. There are many alumni working in the area so the connections coming out are fantastic.

Students who want to know their professors while also getting a good eductaion should attend the University of St. Thomas. Many students are interested in Business but there is a fast growing group of Engineering majors as well. Being a large institution, St. Thomas has the resources to accamodate almost any type of prospective student.

Laura

Do not change who you are. It is so important to be yourself. Try to push aside what others think of you and do not let that affect you, especially in a negative way. In college, you will meet new people. There will be people that do not like you, but there will also be those who will become your lifelong friends. Do not pretend to be anyone you are not. You are your own, specal, unique self. People will accept you just the way you are. And always remember, those who matter do not mind and those who mind do not matter. Be yourself!

The best thing about the University of St. Thomas is the faculty and staff. The professors are willing and able to go the extra mile to make sure that you succeed in everything you do. There is a writing center here that focuses on peer evaluation and help with writing papers, proofreading and conjuring up ideas. Everyone here is very friendly and they wish to see each person succeed!

If you are not willing to put in the time and effort, this school is probably not for you. St. Thomas requires a lot from their students which makes the success rates so high. Students have to push themselves to get things done and perform their tasks efficiently and effectively.

Raymond

Students who are not ready to sacrifice their finances in order to achieve their goals should not apply to St. Thomas due to its high tuition.

The school has an extensive network of alumni in the St. Paul/Minneapolis metro and provides its students with several internship and job opportunities. This is further aided by the career services at the school that helps in resume writing, job or internship searches and interview tips. The school also has several study abroad opportunities and nearly 90% of the graduating students can boast to have study abroad! These opportunities seemed far-fetched to me at first but after being at the school for a semester, I discovered all of these opportunities!

Molly

My classmates were good students who were also very social.

My classmates were good students who were also very social.

Looking back at my years at an undergraduate student, I would tell myself to make choices out of love, and not fear. I would say to live it up--enjoy freshman year more and do Semester at Sea and study abroad early on. It would have opened up social and globally-minded options sooner in my education. It's easy to hold on to high school, but to know yourself you have to let go and dive into the present moment with the people that are in the present moment with you. I would tell myself to speak up more in class, volunteer, try out a science major, do McNair scholars research and join intramurals. "You are capable, independent and free-spirited" are the words I'd say to myself, ending with "In the end, everything will be okay, if it's not okay, it's not the end." I would give a lot to re-do certain moments in college with more confidence and ease, to have taken a different twist on life, but the path I took brought me to graduate school where I have completely committed to my lifelong dream of becoming an environmental journalist.

If you are only looking to party in college, UST probably will not be the right fit. It has many study abroad, academic, and social options, but for students that are able to balance all areas of their lives in healthy ways. Focused students fit in best at UST.

Nathan

Few students participate in class discussions and would rather sit through the class silently than become engaged in their learning.

It's business and law programs. Most students are here to become a business major or to go onto the highly acclaimed graduate law school.

Slow down. Do a little more research into the colleges that you are looking at and weigh the pros and cons of each. Don't forget to take into account your budget, this is key because you most likely will have no financial help from your parents and will have to find a way to pay off your debt. Think for a good long while on what you want to accomplish in life. I know you find interest in way too many things, but what really gets you going? What kind of mark do you want to make? Also, take a chance to consider all of your options. Is now the right time for you to continue your education? Can you commit to it? You can always take some time off, there are some pretty nifty trade schools that you could attend, there are even some highly acclaimed community colleges in your area that you can start at to test the waters. Lastly, and probably most importantly, what kind of people do you want to be surrounded by? What kind of atmosphere do you want to grow in? Please, consider these questions before you make your decision. -Love, You

It's better then most other schools

It's better then most other schools

If I were able to go back in time the one thing that I would advise myself on is to do what you love and forget the rest. Most people dont realize that all they have to do is what they love. Don't worry about how much money you will make because to be honest money does not matter that much. And anybody who thinks this is a terrible idea has just got it all wrong.Life is short, do what you love, spend time with loved ones and make everyday count.

Nothing, this school is just what I expected.

Christina

I would say St. Thomas is best known for its business programs and job placements. Business-related majors far outweigh any other major on our campus, and business graduates from St. Thomas are looked upon highly from employers. People also often mention the beautiful St. Paul campus and, more recently, the new $66 million student center.

My high school experience was defined by a loneliness and isolation that was later deemed "Major Depressive Disorder." My experience with depression left me careless about my life and my decisions. I could not, of course, change the mental illness that took charge of my life for so long. However, when I look back at myself at 18 years old during that incredibly dark time, I am reminded of the most valued lessons I have learned as an undergraduate: "Asking for help does not mean you are helpless, and do not be afraid to take chances - persist, care about things, be passionate, be deliberate." I now identify most closely with the things I am passionate about. I am a feminist, a humanist, an ally, a pacifist. I am an activist. I would be lost without these identifiers. However, I would not be in this place had I never decided to ask for help and stop waiting for someone else to take charge of my own life. My greatest accomplishments have come from taking initiative and being purposeful in my actions. I wish the careless 18-year-old version of myself had been reminded that her life and her decisions mattered.

I have had absolutely wonderful experiences with my professors, my classes, and the programs I am most involved in. The Social Work and Justice and Peace Studies departments, both of which I am a part, have succeeded in creating an inclusive environment for their students. Nearly all the faculty I have been privileged to work with care about their students' learning, are passionate about what they do, and keep students engaged.

Bennett

Hey me, I know college is pretty exciting but it’s also a lot of work. My advice for you in college is to use your time wisely. Oh I know you love to play basketball all night but hey, college is about making sacrifices. Limit your time on Facebook and partying. I mean you can do this maybe once in two months or so. Believe me you'll regret if you don't do this. Have a schedule where there is a time for study, a time to work on your project, a time to write your paper a time to meet and discuss with your professor and then other activities later. Stop saying "I'll do it later". Don't wait until the last night to start working on your paper. Remember limit your time enjoying hanging out with friends. To be successful in college, you have to make sacrifices. Make use of the tutors at your college. They're really helpful. Get involved in study groups. In college the professors are not like your teacher in high school. Don't expect them to remind you when a paper is due. Now Bennett remember USE YOUR TIME WISELY.

St. Thomas has small class sizes and a fairly intimate campus while still being a relatively large private university. I didn't want to attend a large state school with giant lecture classes and St. Thomas seemed to stand out by providing almost the same number of opportunities in a more intimate setting.

As a senior in high school I was terrified by the thought of leaving behind lifelong friends, leadership positions, and activities as well as the teachers and mentors that I looked to for advice and encouragement. I was disappointed that I hadn't gotten into my "dream school" and was beginning to wonder if another point or two on my ACT would have done the trick. I didn't know where I wanted to go or what I wanted to be and it took away from the excitement of senior year. Having made it through two semesters of college now, I wish I could go back and reassure my high school self that all the hard work really would pay off despite the dream school disappointment and that it really wouldn't be too hard to stay in touch with old friends after all. Having transferred mid-year, I would remind myself that it's okay to not be sure of what you want as long as you stay true to yourself and follow what you want for your life, not what anybody else says. "It's all a grand adventure," I'd tell myself, "Just you wait and see!"

While I understand that the liberal arts core requirements are in place to ensure that students such as myself receive a well-rounded education and graduate from St. Thomas with a cultured perspective of the world, the exorbitantly high cost of tuition makes having to take five theology/philosophy classes as well as a fine arts course a significant financial burden and prevents opportunities to take interesting electives. For this reason, I would be much more satisfied if we were not paying for tuition per credit.

University of St Thomas-Saint Paul administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.