Saint Paul, MN
University of St Thomas-Saint Paul

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend University of St Thomas-Saint Paul

Ryan

College life is ten times more different then high school. It isn't about who you know or what clique you are apart of. The people you are not friends with or have any association with in high school will be seen about once every month when you pass by them in the local Target. Those people do not define you, you define you. Don't be afraid to come out as a homosexual just because no one else has. If they didn't bully you when you were in the closet but it was nearly obvious then they probably won't when you come out. In college, no one knows anyone; it is the first day of kindergarten. The only difference is that it is the first day everyday. I don’t even know the names of the people who sit next to me everyday and neither of us cares. You shouldn’t have been afraid to be you your last year of high school or any year before that. Your only purpose in life is to be you and it shouldn’t have taken thirteen plus years of education to learn that, it should have taken zero.

Taquita

If I had the opportunity to speak with myself as a high school senior, I would tell myself to keep striving and keep pursuing my education no matter the circumstance. When I graduated from highschool I became so enthralled in adulthood and other frivolous things that I didn't focus on my college career like I should have. I would warn myself to not make the same mistake. I would tell myself to enjoy the process of entering into a new chapter of life. I would encourage myself to apply to all the schools that I could find and visit as many campuses as I could. I would also encourage myself to seek out as many scholarship opportunities as I could find to help with the financial burden of being a student. The most important lesson that I think I could teach myself as a highschool senior is to just have fun and enjoy it all. College is a big transistion in life and the road to success can be extra bumpy. However if you are prepared and go into it with an open mind and a brave heart, theres not much that can stop you from achieving your goals.

Annia

St. Thomas seems a little intimidating at first, but as you start taking classes and meeting new people, it becomes your second home and you dread the time when you have to go home.

Don't think getting good grades will be as easy as it was in high school. Even though you're going to have less classes, there's so much more work to do for each class. Forget about not paying attention in class; your grade depends on participation, too! Start using the internet less as of NOW. Even though it's necessary for most of your homework in college, it can become a huge distraction if you let it, so better start working on that addiction now. Stop procrascinating! I know everyone does it, but in college you have to know the importance of each assignment and much it weights into your final grade. Procrascination can get in the way of a good GPA.

The facilities at St. Thomas are amazing. The student center is the heart of campus life; because there's always something going on. With the bowling alley, the space with Wii consoles, air hockey, foosball, spa, cafeteria and other places to eat, the student center is the most desirable facility on campus. There's space to study, eat, relax and have fun. Everyone can find something to do there. Whenever my friends come to UST, they're astonished because their college campuses aren't as fancy-looking as St. Thomas facilities. They're definitely jealous.

Damon

St Thomas is an excellent school which believes that a strong core education is a great foundation for a degree of any type.

The greatest piece of advice I could give to myself would be "do not be intimidated by AP and CIS classes. You are smart enough to be in them and they are much more rewarding than regular classes." I always believed that these classes were filled with super-geniuses that never went outside or talked to anyone. It was not until my senior year that I finally took some and I was shocked. All of my friends had been in these kinds of classes since they were sophomores. I was much more comfortable in these classes and I walked away actually learning something (with a few college credits to show it). Regular high school classes do not prepare you for what comes in college. At times I was overwhelmed by the multiple hours of homework I would get in my AP classes, but this was only because I had never really had homework before. Now I do nearly eight hours of homework a day and still feel comfortable with it. It is because of AP and CIS courses that I am able to handle my workload in college now.

Mary

I would tell myself to stick to your goals and try to accomplish those goals and don't let anything or anyone try to discourage you from accomplishing your goals. Don't let anyone steer you in the wrong direction for your life and to stay focus on what you are there for. Study hard and do all you can do to finish and once you get all that studying behind you then you can relax and enjoy all that you have accomplished. I would tell them while they are a high school senior set goals for yourself and stick to them and know what you want to do with your life and where you want to go. And focus on those goals no matter what your friends are doing with their life you put forth an effort to stay in school and not to get into any trouble so that you can finish and you would be so proud of yourself because you didn't let anyone influence you to quit or get into any trouble. I would let them know they are the future and they have to succeed and try to make a better life for themselves.

Laura

I have only been enrolled in college for less than a year but I have learned many things. As a high school senior I didn't know what to expect for college. I didn't have an older sibling to ask so I learned the hard way. I wish someone would have told me how easy it would be to make friends. I remember being so nervous on move-in day but almost immediately, it seemed, I was surrounded with new friends. I would also want to tell myself not to worry about the small things. I was nervous about what to bring, who I would talk to, what my classes would be like, and who would I turn to for help. I learned that you have to go with the flow and there are more important things to spend time on. It's more important to learn very good study habits, arrange your sleeping patterns, and learn to organize your time and responsibilities than it is which towels to bring. A strong foundation of knowledge and habits can take you a long way in college and I wish I would have known which things to prepare for.

I would recommend the University of St. Thomas to almost all current high school students. I love this college for many reasons but my favorite thing is the professors. I have only been attending the university for less than a year but I love all of my professors. I feel comfortable going to their office hours to meet one-on-one with them. I also go to them for advice for which classes to take and other questions I may have. The small class sizes allow students to really get to know the professor at the University of St. Thomas.

I think this school accommodates for a variety of personalities and interests. This liberal arts college allows students to get an education in their field of study while becoming socially aware of other areas like Human Diversity, other languages, and Theology. There is a unique music program at the college. This college offers students so much and we are left to decide which portions to take from it. Any student who wants a well-rounded education at a smaller school and wants to take full advantage of the thousands of opportunities and experiences should choose the University of St. Thomas.

Melissa

I would say it is best known for business and for getting graduates jobs right out of college.

If I could go back in time I would tell myself to relax a bit more about college. I would say to myself not to worry about making friends and the work load because overall, it is not bad. I would definetely tell myself to express myself better and just socialize and be myself...at college that is a main thing I have noticed. People don't care what others think and they are willing to be themselves. I would also tell myself to go out and socialize at every opportunity; when a group of people ask you to go out with them, then definetely say yes. Don't be afraid to reach out to other people and make friends. I would assure myself that college is an experience of a lifetime. It really is some of the funnest years of your life.

I wish I knew that the tuition was going to go up every year.

Ivan

Hey Ivan. Do you have a minute? I just wanted to give you some advice about college. Get aquainted with the programs that they offer at the colleges. Do not be ignorant of these school programs. They will affect you in the long run if you do not utilize them. Another word of advice is that you should become well aquainted with doing presentations. The high school senior project that you are doing this year is nothing compared to what you have to do in college. At the minimum, your presentations will be about 15 minutes long and you do not get half of the semester to complete it. I also advice you to get to know your fellow classmates. Write down his or her number. On the days you cannot make it to class having your classmate's number will come in handy. Last word of advice is to join a club that is towards your major! It will benfit you with networking and at the same time it will look good on your college career.

Gabriela

For me, it was easy to transtion into college, but for my fmaily it wasn't. My mom and I had trouble communicating to eahc other my freshman year and I would say it had a lot to do with our relationship while I was in high school. We didn't have a bad relationship but I wasn't always open with her. So the advice I would give myself is, don't be afraid to open up to your parents and let them in as far guidence goes. The more you feel like you cna trust your parents, the easier it is to resolve problems with them when they appear. I didn't know how to handle the problems I had with my mom because I didn't take the time to get to know her as person when I was living at home and that would have saved a lot of heartache on both sides.

The price. Cost of living. This school is really expensive.

Tamiko

The University of St Thomas has a strong Catholic background that is offered for any students, regardless of religion.

Your focus and worry on money is unnecessary. It's great if you get a job, but focusing on school work is much more important. Having a job is nice to make some money, but it consumes your time, and your grades will start to slip. As you get into college, you will learn much more about independence and time management, which are both very important to start on the path of success. You will learn that time spent on studying and doing homework will pay off greatly. You will learn that you are making your own decisions, and nobody is forcing you to do anything. It takes self motivation to learn to become a good, independent student. Having a job throws off time management, independence, and self motivation completely. Yes, college is expensive, but there is help. You will be able to pay off what you owe, so make the time you spend in college worth it!

If you're looking for a smaller-sized campus, St Thomas is definetely a great choice. The campus is small, but beautiful, and very easy to navigate around.

University of St Thomas-Saint Paul administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.