Saint Paul, MN
University of St Thomas-Saint Paul

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend University of St Thomas-Saint Paul

Scott

My overall opinion of St. Thomas is that it is a wonderful school. I feel that St. Thomas is one of the best schools around because it is student oriented instead of research oriented. What I mean by this is that the professors are expected to be more available to students in order to help them learn and answer questions outside of the classroom. I have always found the professors to be willing to accommodate the needs of the students and make time to help them outside of the classroom. What I also like is that as an undergraduate student, you still are being taught by professors with PhD's and not TA's like you probably would be at a larger school. Outside of the scholastic aspect of the school, I find the general atmosphere to be welcoming and warm. Students and faculty tend to have great pride in the school and this is probably helped greatly by the fact that during the last few years, the St. Thomas sports teams have been performing phenomenally. The lacrosse team won back-to-back national titles in 2009 and 2010, the men's basketball team won the national championship last year, the baseball team won the national title in 2009. The football team has gone to the semi finals for the NCAA championship the last 3 years in a row and the coach Glenn Caruso just won the DIII coach of the year for the second year in a row, becoming the first coach to do so. The St. Thomas club rugby team that I play for has gone to the national tournament the last three years in a row, finishing in the top 8 in 2009 and finishing ranked 14th in the nation this year. It is also evident that the school is growing and conscious of the changing times because they just built a brand new athletic facility last year with state of the art equipment and just this month finished the new student center which will generate a lot of interest in the school for perspective students. I feel that the size of the school is something that it has to it's advantage. It has about 11,000 students total, around 6,000 of those being undergraduates. This size means that you are always meeting new people but you are also able to see friends and acquaintances around campus regularly. The one thing that sold me as a prospective student is that it is an unbelievably beautiful campus in a metropolis. I was not expecting a University in an urban center to be so aesthetically pleasing, but it is evident that St. Thomas takes great pride in it's appearance. Also, something that is generally helpful, especially in Minnesota winters is that the campus is not too big. Unlike many other campuses, it is not sprawled over a large area, but more compact. It only takes about 15-20 minutes to walk from one end of campus to the other. I believe that St. Thomas is just the right size, being between the size of a really small campus and a large campus.

For being a smaller, private college, St. Thomas has quite a bit of diversity. I believe that being in an urban center may help this. First of all, even though the school is technically a Catholic University, many different religions are present and are not discriminated against. Many different denominations of Christians are present. Muslims, Hindus, Jews, and many other religions as well as atheists contribute to the student body and faculty of St. Thomas. There are also clubs for just about every religious group you can think of as well as other student groups such as ethnic groups and LGBT groups. St. Thomas works hard to make sure that every student feels welcome on campus and has a support group if they wish to utilize one. Even though there are all different groups represented at St. Thomas, the majority of the students are from Minnesota and Wisconsin with a smattering of students from all different parts of the country. Also, there are many foreign students studying at St. Thomas. Most foreign students at St. Thomas are from Asia and Saudi Arabia and different parts of the Middle East. There are also students from many different areas of the world but these are the most well represented groups on campus. If you were to generalize who students associate with, it would be easiest to say that most students hang out with other students they know well through a group, club, sport or major. This by no means suggests that students are "clique-y" because although people tend to make friends through the groups they participate in, you also have an easy time making friends in other ways such as through your dorm hall as a freshman or classes.St. Thomas really makes an effort to get it's students involved on campus and gives many opportunities to do so with the many clubs, groups, and sports teams on campus. Many students do participate in some group or another on campus. Even though it is a stereotype that St. Thomas students are all rich kids from the suburbs, it is not completely true but stereotypes are there for a reason. Many students are St. Thomas come from families that are in higher socio-economic classes. A majority of students can be considered middle class and above with the minority of students coming from lower middle class and underprivileged families.

The classroom atmosphere is very personal at the University of St. Thomas. The normal class size is right around 20 students. The largest class I have been in had 150 students, and the smallest class I have been in had 8 students. In every class, the professor went to great lengths to get to know the students and every professor I have ever had has known me by name, even the professor teaching the 150 student class! St. Thomas is also considered to be very well respected for it's academics. The Opus College of Business is accredited by the Association to Advance Collegiate Schools of Business International (AACSB). It is also strong in the sciences and liberal arts programs. St. Thomas is also home to the St. John Vianney Catholic Seminary. The graduate school also has a very well known business school and law school. The classes at St. Thomas are definitely competitive, but not overly so. St. Thomas pushes for academic excellence and the students mirror this value. The classes at St. Thomas are generally academically challenging and students generally study between 10-15 hours per week but this is obviously subject to each students study habits and the difficulty of their subject matter. Some students study much more than this and some study less, but it is up to the student to keep their grades up so it is completely up to their discretion. The professors generally do a good job of assigning work that keeps students up to date and doesn't let them fall behind easily. I am an English major with a business minor so my studies include quite a bit of reading and writing, but I enjoy this sort of work and so studying is not something that causes me much stress. My major provides me with many course options and they can have quite an immense range. Probably the strangest and most interesting class I have taken as an English major would be the course centered on the Badman in African American Literature. I took this class to satisfy a diversity requirement but it really opened my eyes to the realm of folklore and the theme of the Badman in African American Literature. The stories we studied in this class were unbelievably odd and not something I expected from a Catholic University because they got to be more than a little risque and dark. No matter what major you decide to pursue, you will find interesting classes to take. Also, no matter what major you take, you will have a support system of professors, students and counselors to help you every step of the way. St. Thomas also has a very good network to help you find a job after you graduate and the courses that are offered are mostly geared to being practical in helping you find a job after you graduate. Overall, the St. Thomas community is very supportive and willing to help one of their own.

The biggest stereotype that I hear about St. Thomas students is that we are all just a bunch of privileged rich kids from the suburbs. Although you do meet some people like this at St. Thomas, it is by no means the norm. You will find people from wealthy families at any school,but there might be a few more at a private school like St. Thomas for the mere reason that it is a more expensive school than some others. Overall, the students at St. Thomas are from all parts of the spectrum. There are rich kids whose parents pay for everything they need, but there are also students like myself who are attending St. Thomas because they were offered scholarships and we pay for everything else by ourselves with little or no help from our parents. I like to hear about this stereotype because I believe it is inaccurate and I like to point out to whoever is accusing me of being a privileged rich kid that I actually pay for school 100% on my own and have no financial help from my parents and I am not from the suburbs, but from corn country southern Minnesota. That tends to make the accusers think twice about how they perceive students from St. Thomas.

Therese

If I could back in time and talk to myself as a high school senior I would tell myself that the most important factor when deciding where to go to school is what the school has to offer. The location, size, and majors are all other important aspects. However, the first priority I would want myself to have in a school is their reputation and how challenging it is. You get out of school what you put in, so I would want a great school that is academically challenging and one that encourages me to do more than just doing homework and taking tests.

When I brag about going to the University of St Thomas, I focus on how great of a school it is known for being. The University of St Thomas has such a great reputation because it is very academically challenging and it's the best liberal arts school in Minnesota as well as being one of the best liberal arts schools in the United States.

The University of St Thomas is an amazing school because of the location and what the school has to offer. I love the perfect location; in the middle of St Paul. The campus is five minutes from downtown St Paul and also five minutes from downtown Minneapolis! I, also, love what the school has to offer. This size is perfect, a little over 5,000 undergraduate students. The size allows for great relationships between professors and their students.

Ciara

One thing that is unique is the extremely small class sizes and one-on-one attention that we receive from most of our professors.

Preparing to make the significant transition into that of a college freshman is one that in high school, no individual is fully prepared for. After being subjected to this experience, it is easy to go back and tell myself as a senior the essential requirements to ensure that this dramatic change is one worth every piece of effort that goes into it. The most crucial piece of guidance that I would advise to myself would be to choose which college I will attend based solely on my own personal happiness. Making a decision based on family and friends may leave them pleased, however, it is one of the easiest ways to start off your college experience undesirably. Although deceiving with all of the publicity, this process is not a contest. Comparing your wishes to one of your peers’ is only cheating yourself. If you envision yourself more pleased here than anywhere else, your decision is simple: go there. It may not be the highest ranked school on your list, or the most suitable to your academic needs in your parents’ eyes, but don't lose sight that your biggest concern is to ensure that YOU are happy.

The most frustrating thing is that many students do not go into it with an open mind and that after the first week, the school does not offer a lot of activities to allow freshmen to get to know each other.

Aileen

My classmates are driven, well educated students who strive to further their education in an attempt to better contribute to the world.

I would give myself the following advice: Get involved and meet a ton of people right when you get there. If you meet people you get along with well, don't solely hang out with those people. Have them as friends, but don't be afraid to branch out and talk to new people. The people you surround yourself with are very crucial to getting a well--rounded education. If you are always around the same kind of people, you will never learn and experience new things or get differing perspectives. Go out of your comfort zone and get involved.

The worst thing about my school is how expensive it is to go there. It is a wonderful institution and I couldn't imagine getting my education anywhere else, but it is very pricey.

Deanna

In my opinion, St. Thomas is best known for their high tuition rates and excellent education, especially in the school of business. Over half of the students who attend UST are business majors and their curriculum isn't easy. Business majors, as well as all other students, are pushed hard to achieve their goals.

College life is difficult; there's no getting around it. Once you get to college, you are given freedom, responsibility, and independence all at the same time, and it is hard to find your balance. Classes are ten times more work and you actually have to read the material in order to do well. If you want an A, you need to learn how to take good notes, create healthy and consistent study habits, and pay attention in class. One of the biggest lessons you will learn in college is how to get by on very little sleep. You need to prepare yourself for all this and more, because learning how to live on your own, do well in school, participate in clubs and organizations, and balance a social life on top of all that is going to take its toll on you. It sounds horrible now, but when you get there and learn how to balance all these factors in your life, it's going to feel great. You will learn so much, not just in class, but through your experiences, that will help you in life. Your life will become much more enriched through the college experience.

I love to tell my friends about what a great education St. Thomas provides. The beautiful campus is always great to view while walking to and from class, and the professors get to know you on a personal level. You aren't just a number at St. Thomas, you are an individual. All teachers have high expectations for student success and they help you in many ways to reach your goals. Also, there are many opportunities at UST including studing abroad, numerous clubs and organizations, and research and work opportunities.

Jackson

Dear JP, You are doing a terrific job with keeping up on your academic work and putting together your applications. I know you feel pretty confident about the schools you've applied for, but take a leap and apply for a well-known school from the Ivy League or West coast. Don't let fear hold you back. I know that applying to schools and having a great senior year can be complicated and intimidating, but you have so much potential that can be put to good use. Wherever you go, you will do great and wonderful things. Put yourself out there and take the leap. Challenge yourself! Push for change you see that needs to happen around you. Don't fear what others think; stand up for what you believe in and don't back down. Your natural leadership abilities are needed to make a difference in the world. Again, don't hold back and let yourself be intimidated. Get out there, and get it done! Sincerely, Jackson

Each evening at the entrances of dorms are stationed employees of the University that check-in the opposite gender after a certain time. Thus, these people have to leave before a certain time as well. I understand the liability the University has, but it is very annoying to have to do that. Single-sex dorms are frustrating, but the University-owned on campus apartments are co-ed by floor.

I don't normally brag, but if I did it'd be about the great academic research opportunities and community support that faculty and campus offers.

Dear High School Senior, Although you feel mature and experienced, you have yet to discover the vast opportunities and experiences that lie outside of your bubble. College is going to open your eyes to so many opportunites, you may feel a little overwhelmed! Just realize that it is alright to take your time and figure out what it is you want to do, you do not have to figure it all out right now. You are at the beginnning of something great and you CAN do whatever it is your heart desires, the sky is truly the limit, please remember that. Please go out and make friends your freshman year, you will meet a lot of very different and unique individuals from whom you may learn a little more about yourself. Stay focused on your goals and keep up with your school work, but make sure you reward yourself with some time off the books and out with friends discovering new things together. You are going to learn a lot about the person you want to be and a lot about life. Enjoy your independence and amongst your schoolwork always make time for family and friends, they're worth it.

I would give myself so much advice. First, I would apply for more scholarships and then apply to more schools and compare financial aid. I am kicking myself now for not doing that! I would try to look at more schools and see what their graduation requirements and core class requirements were; I might not have to take philosophy or other required classes like at UST. I wish I had visited more schools to get a better picture of what it's like on campus. I would have gone to more overnight visits on campuses to get a feel for what it's like to actually live there. I'm happy here, but I feel like I should have started earlier and should have done more when I was shopping for schools to make sure I was getting the best deal and would be in the best place for me.

The worst thing about the school would be that there really is not a lot to do on the weekends. Most weekends, campus gets dead because many students go the U of M to go to parties. As someone who does not drink or party, I find myself staying in a lot more than a lot of other students. Another thing I think competes for the worst aspect of the school is the stigma that St. Thomas is a "rich kid school"- this is not true. Students come from all different economic backgrounds.

I think the best thing about the school is how helpful the staff and faculty are. I think this comes from the small size of the school. My biggest class is only 25 people; my professors are readily available and ready to help. There are also a variety of academic and religious services that really are just an email away. At UST, I can get an email from someone in a few hours. At a bigger school I wouldn't even know who to contact. Here, I am not just a number.

Matt

The University of St. Thomas has a Catholic unethical administration, but a wonderful intelligent faculty with amazing studen...

The University of St. Thomas has a Catholic unethical administration, but a wonderful intelligent faculty with amazing students.

I would tell myself to really review my choices. As a high school student I listened to the admissions recruiters word for word. This often lead me to apply to the schools with the best admissions presentations. Over the time I have spent in college, I realized that these recruiters are no different than any other sales representative. It's my responsiblity to really check out what life is like at each school. Although I am happy with my college, I believe that if I had understood better what life was like at each university I may have made a different choice.

The worst part of St. Thomas is the administration. UST has taken on large finacial construction projects which have not been fully paid for. This has lead to an unsustainable finacial bond situation for the university. Their response is to increase tuition, often at 8+ percent. When the cost of school is already $40,000+ this is not reasonable. Students are mislead, enter this school, and then are burdened by high tuition and fees. The administration takes no input from students, and overpowers student organizations to not think independently.

Ariel

My classmates are great, everyone is super friendly and we all work well together! :)

I would tell myself to take more college level courses and get as many credits as possible. I would also tell myself to apply apply apply for scholarships. I would also tell myself to take my time in choosing a college, because it's very important that I know where I want to go for sure.

I wish I would have known that everybody is in the same position as I am and that we're all awkward. Then I wouldn't have been so worried about making friends. I wish someone would have told me how easy it is to make new friends.

University of St Thomas-Saint Paul administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.