Saint Paul, MN
University of St Thomas-Saint Paul

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend University of St Thomas-Saint Paul

Ciara

One thing that is unique is the extremely small class sizes and one-on-one attention that we receive from most of our professors.

Preparing to make the significant transition into that of a college freshman is one that in high school, no individual is fully prepared for. After being subjected to this experience, it is easy to go back and tell myself as a senior the essential requirements to ensure that this dramatic change is one worth every piece of effort that goes into it. The most crucial piece of guidance that I would advise to myself would be to choose which college I will attend based solely on my own personal happiness. Making a decision based on family and friends may leave them pleased, however, it is one of the easiest ways to start off your college experience undesirably. Although deceiving with all of the publicity, this process is not a contest. Comparing your wishes to one of your peers’ is only cheating yourself. If you envision yourself more pleased here than anywhere else, your decision is simple: go there. It may not be the highest ranked school on your list, or the most suitable to your academic needs in your parents’ eyes, but don't lose sight that your biggest concern is to ensure that YOU are happy.

The most frustrating thing is that many students do not go into it with an open mind and that after the first week, the school does not offer a lot of activities to allow freshmen to get to know each other.

Aileen

My classmates are driven, well educated students who strive to further their education in an attempt to better contribute to the world.

I would give myself the following advice: Get involved and meet a ton of people right when you get there. If you meet people you get along with well, don't solely hang out with those people. Have them as friends, but don't be afraid to branch out and talk to new people. The people you surround yourself with are very crucial to getting a well--rounded education. If you are always around the same kind of people, you will never learn and experience new things or get differing perspectives. Go out of your comfort zone and get involved.

The worst thing about my school is how expensive it is to go there. It is a wonderful institution and I couldn't imagine getting my education anywhere else, but it is very pricey.

Deanna

In my opinion, St. Thomas is best known for their high tuition rates and excellent education, especially in the school of business. Over half of the students who attend UST are business majors and their curriculum isn't easy. Business majors, as well as all other students, are pushed hard to achieve their goals.

College life is difficult; there's no getting around it. Once you get to college, you are given freedom, responsibility, and independence all at the same time, and it is hard to find your balance. Classes are ten times more work and you actually have to read the material in order to do well. If you want an A, you need to learn how to take good notes, create healthy and consistent study habits, and pay attention in class. One of the biggest lessons you will learn in college is how to get by on very little sleep. You need to prepare yourself for all this and more, because learning how to live on your own, do well in school, participate in clubs and organizations, and balance a social life on top of all that is going to take its toll on you. It sounds horrible now, but when you get there and learn how to balance all these factors in your life, it's going to feel great. You will learn so much, not just in class, but through your experiences, that will help you in life. Your life will become much more enriched through the college experience.

I love to tell my friends about what a great education St. Thomas provides. The beautiful campus is always great to view while walking to and from class, and the professors get to know you on a personal level. You aren't just a number at St. Thomas, you are an individual. All teachers have high expectations for student success and they help you in many ways to reach your goals. Also, there are many opportunities at UST including studing abroad, numerous clubs and organizations, and research and work opportunities.

Jackson

Dear JP, You are doing a terrific job with keeping up on your academic work and putting together your applications. I know you feel pretty confident about the schools you've applied for, but take a leap and apply for a well-known school from the Ivy League or West coast. Don't let fear hold you back. I know that applying to schools and having a great senior year can be complicated and intimidating, but you have so much potential that can be put to good use. Wherever you go, you will do great and wonderful things. Put yourself out there and take the leap. Challenge yourself! Push for change you see that needs to happen around you. Don't fear what others think; stand up for what you believe in and don't back down. Your natural leadership abilities are needed to make a difference in the world. Again, don't hold back and let yourself be intimidated. Get out there, and get it done! Sincerely, Jackson

Each evening at the entrances of dorms are stationed employees of the University that check-in the opposite gender after a certain time. Thus, these people have to leave before a certain time as well. I understand the liability the University has, but it is very annoying to have to do that. Single-sex dorms are frustrating, but the University-owned on campus apartments are co-ed by floor.

I don't normally brag, but if I did it'd be about the great academic research opportunities and community support that faculty and campus offers.

Dear High School Senior, Although you feel mature and experienced, you have yet to discover the vast opportunities and experiences that lie outside of your bubble. College is going to open your eyes to so many opportunites, you may feel a little overwhelmed! Just realize that it is alright to take your time and figure out what it is you want to do, you do not have to figure it all out right now. You are at the beginnning of something great and you CAN do whatever it is your heart desires, the sky is truly the limit, please remember that. Please go out and make friends your freshman year, you will meet a lot of very different and unique individuals from whom you may learn a little more about yourself. Stay focused on your goals and keep up with your school work, but make sure you reward yourself with some time off the books and out with friends discovering new things together. You are going to learn a lot about the person you want to be and a lot about life. Enjoy your independence and amongst your schoolwork always make time for family and friends, they're worth it.

I would give myself so much advice. First, I would apply for more scholarships and then apply to more schools and compare financial aid. I am kicking myself now for not doing that! I would try to look at more schools and see what their graduation requirements and core class requirements were; I might not have to take philosophy or other required classes like at UST. I wish I had visited more schools to get a better picture of what it's like on campus. I would have gone to more overnight visits on campuses to get a feel for what it's like to actually live there. I'm happy here, but I feel like I should have started earlier and should have done more when I was shopping for schools to make sure I was getting the best deal and would be in the best place for me.

The worst thing about the school would be that there really is not a lot to do on the weekends. Most weekends, campus gets dead because many students go the U of M to go to parties. As someone who does not drink or party, I find myself staying in a lot more than a lot of other students. Another thing I think competes for the worst aspect of the school is the stigma that St. Thomas is a "rich kid school"- this is not true. Students come from all different economic backgrounds.

I think the best thing about the school is how helpful the staff and faculty are. I think this comes from the small size of the school. My biggest class is only 25 people; my professors are readily available and ready to help. There are also a variety of academic and religious services that really are just an email away. At UST, I can get an email from someone in a few hours. At a bigger school I wouldn't even know who to contact. Here, I am not just a number.

Matt

The University of St. Thomas has a Catholic unethical administration, but a wonderful intelligent faculty with amazing studen...

The University of St. Thomas has a Catholic unethical administration, but a wonderful intelligent faculty with amazing students.

I would tell myself to really review my choices. As a high school student I listened to the admissions recruiters word for word. This often lead me to apply to the schools with the best admissions presentations. Over the time I have spent in college, I realized that these recruiters are no different than any other sales representative. It's my responsiblity to really check out what life is like at each school. Although I am happy with my college, I believe that if I had understood better what life was like at each university I may have made a different choice.

The worst part of St. Thomas is the administration. UST has taken on large finacial construction projects which have not been fully paid for. This has lead to an unsustainable finacial bond situation for the university. Their response is to increase tuition, often at 8+ percent. When the cost of school is already $40,000+ this is not reasonable. Students are mislead, enter this school, and then are burdened by high tuition and fees. The administration takes no input from students, and overpowers student organizations to not think independently.

Ariel

My classmates are great, everyone is super friendly and we all work well together! :)

I would tell myself to take more college level courses and get as many credits as possible. I would also tell myself to apply apply apply for scholarships. I would also tell myself to take my time in choosing a college, because it's very important that I know where I want to go for sure.

I wish I would have known that everybody is in the same position as I am and that we're all awkward. Then I wouldn't have been so worried about making friends. I wish someone would have told me how easy it is to make new friends.

Hayley

Because of the expectations of the University and its reputation the person considering St. Thomas must be very dedicated and motivated and not lazy.

I really have no complaints about St. Thomas, however the cost of tuition is high and having to take 3 semesters of Theology to earn a degree is the only concern I have.

Nick

Be sure to pick a college that fits you. It's not a problem if you choose the wrong place right away because you can always transfer. People transfer everyday and they often find themselves in a much better and happier place. A very important thing to do in college is not be afraid to reach out to people and make new friends. College is a great opportunity to develop new friendships with people from different backgrounds than you. Who knows, some of these friendships could become lifelong. Another important piece of advice would be to challenge yourself to be the best person you can be. It's ok if you make mistakes but learning from them will make you stronger in the future. A final thing to remember is to have fun and enjoy the ride because college goes by so fast. Always give yourself time just enjoy living, learning and being youself because this is one of the most amazing opportunies you will ever have and many people in the world never get the chance to earn a world-class education.

The cliques that people develop and never break out of during their time at school. There is a weak sense of community which leaves some people feeling lonely and left out.

The lack of community within the music department. The music program has the potential to grow into an even greater program but the lack of community amongst faculty and students alike causes the program to remain stagnant. With a stronger community and indentity the department could have and should have recieved better facilities long ago.

University of St Thomas-Saint Paul administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.