Saint Paul, MN
University of St Thomas-Saint Paul

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend University of St Thomas-Saint Paul

Kathleen

St.Thomas teaches students both good morals and actions that will help them succeed in the future.

The classmates at St.Thomas are determined to succeed.

As a high school senior knowing what I know now I would have applied myself more. Through applying myself more I would have taken more A.P. classes ; as well as, working harder to obtain better grades. This woluld have given me a better option for class availability and given me less college debt in the long term. A considerable amount of high school seniors decide to take the easy road by taking the classes that are the least amount of work. If I would have taken and worked harder on more A.P. courses I would have set myself up for better success. Also knowing what I know now I would have worked harder on my ACT. With a higher ACT score I could have bypassed certain classes and been given a bigger grant at St.Thomas. All these previous actions are ones I would apply as a high school senior knowing what I know now.

Mariah

My classmates are there because they want to be!

My classmates are there because they want to be!

College is an overwhelming and scary thing to think about. I know you don’t want to choose the “wrong” school. Pray about it. God has a perfect plan for your life. Trust that you’ll end up where you are supposed to be. I know one of the things you’re looking forward to most in this next chapter of your life is meeting tons of really dreamy college boys. Trust me. You’ll meet plenty. Always remember that no relationship is worth sacrificing your dignity and self-respect over. You’re going to be faced with some difficult decisions. Stay true to yourself. Go with your gut. It’s always right. Time goes by so fast. Live in the moment. Next thing you know, you’ll be looking for internships and thinking about leasing a house. Enjoy every minute of high school. Yes, even those extra killers you have to run at volleyball practice and that nasty "pizza" that you have almost every day for lunch. Believe it or not, you're going to miss all of this someday!

I think the worst thing about my school is the cost of tuiton. Although UST does offer scholarships and financial aid, it is still expensive! I went into college thinking that I didn't have to have any idea of what I wanted to do after college until my sophomore year. For many of the degrees, you start taking specialized classes your freshman year. If you don't, a lot of times you can't graduate in four years. Because tuition is so high, you want to graduate as soon as possible!

The first thing I would tell myself is to learn to take better notes. Just because I didn't need to take detailed notes in high school, doesn't mean I would not need to in college, and I will make it easier on myself if I learn the skill sooner rather than later. I would then prompt myself to, as soon as I find out my roommate assignment, contact her and form the basis of a friendship. I would then remind myself that just because we would live together, my roommate and I don't need to be best friends; you need to get along, and communication is important, as well as being comfortable with the other person's friends being in the room. Also, to lay ground rules which we can both agree to, and to stick to them. I would then say that it's ok to be homesick, and my parents miss me too, and that it's important to keeps lines of communication open with them also. And that pain in the butt sister? You'll miss her. Give her a call every once in a while, and check in.

There is a great sense of community on campus, even though there are approximately 6,000 students on the St. Paul Campus of St Thomas. The classes are small enough that you get to know almost everyome in all of your classes, and that really comes in handy when studying for midterms or finals.

St Thomas is advertised as a Catholic College, but in reality, there is a "Catholic bubble". Those who are praticing Catholic tend to all be friends, and while I am a part of the "bubble", we don't reach out to the rest of the campus as well as we could. Also, the Theology department departs from church teaching, which for a "Catholic University" is inexcusable.

One thing that I think is unique about the University of St. Thomas is the close attention that faculty pay to their students. Because the University of St. Thomas is a small school, students receive more personal attention from the University of St. Thomas' staff and faculty. This means that staff and faculty are able to give you help in choosing a major, or in financial aid. The close attention that I receive as a student is what I value most from the University of St. Thomas.

Knowing what I now know about life in college and making the transition I would tell myself that it's not going to be easy. I imagined that life on my own would be great and I would be care free. Now that I've been in college for a whole semester I know that it's not easy and that a lot of the time college is hard. It's hard to be away from my family, and it's hard to be thrown into a new way of living. It takes time to adjust. Now, I know more of what to expect and I know that this next semester is going to be easier.

David

My classmates are very hardworking and dedicated to their school work just like I am. They are kind and provide a excellent learning environment where you can succeed.

I would tell myself to do harder research for scholarships so I would not have to pay so much. Also I would go back and tell myself to take some AP classes so I could try to get credit for college in high school so I have a head start when I get to college. I would also challenge myself with harder classes in high school to prepare mysef for the college work load. Finally I would tell myself I love going to St. Thomas so just apply there and choose to go there so that I could relax and work on finding scholarships for my school.

The check-ins at the dorms, sometimes I just want my girlfriend to be able to stay over.

I would say that my school is best known for its beautiful campus and its well known business school.

The class times in college classes are a lot short but the work is much more extensive. I would also like to say that the best resources in college are the proffesors. Talk to them after class or set up appointments with them if you fall behind.

I think that the best part about my school is the professors. They are very knowledgeable on the subjects in which they teach, and they also have out of class hours to help us when we fall behind.

Chris

Maximize the time you have now and for the rest of your life because time flies and soon enough you will be heading beyond college to the business world. This is not to say that you should not enjoy the time that is available to you, but rather avoid moping about in boredom. The college life is one of ecstasy, friendship, responsibility, hard work, and (yes again) responsibility. No one is going to get you up for class in the morning so appreciate the people you have around you now. Appreciate all the little things that Mom and Dad do for you because those are the things you will miss the most when they drop you off at the dorms. Be open to change and unafraid to be yourself because although it seems like conformity may be the best route, the people you want as your closest friends will accept you as you are. Do not look at college as a party or a burden, but as an opportunity to discover who you are and what you want to do with your life. That is the purpose of everyone's life really: to make the potential realized.

The great people. From true friends to professors who are willing to get to know you, there is no shortage of quality people at UST. Professors are always accessible and know you by name, making classes and learning more manageable and fun. The facilities on campus are top notch including a top notch athletic facility and a brand new student center.

The weekend life. Many people at UST are local students who go home some weekends. This means campus can be quiet on weekends, but if you're an out of state student, there are also many other out of state students to get to know.

Matthew

The University of St. Thomas is best known for it's prestigious academic excellence. It is one of the best business schools in the nation.

I would say that while visiting schools, don't buy memorabilia. It ends up a waste of money because you or your family don't wear what you purchased if you don't go to that school. You will have plenty of time to buy stuff after you committ to a school. Next, seriously try to get every scholarship that you can, it is worth the extra effort and time. Every little bit of money helps. It isn't as tough as expected. Put in the time and effort, do your homework and when you feel comfortable with the material there is no need to continue studying.

The facilities and the people of the University of St. Thomas are the things that I brag about most to my friends. They both are elite and first class.

Dear Me, I would love to advise you in many things; to start off with the Justice and Peace major and save yourself the frustration of switching majors countless times, sometimes let yourself live outside of the library - you're a smart cookie, or to call home a little more often once you choose to go away. But for the longest time you have looked at college as an opportunity to recreate yourself, and that's where I'm going to tell you what's what. Yes, going to a school where no one knows you may allow you to become someone new, but that's not who you are. You don't need to change yourself to make friends in a new place. Just be the photography-loving, coffee-drinking, Minnesotan enthusiast you are, and you will find yourself loving the people around you much sooner than when you try to create a "new you." Use college not as an opportunity to change yourself, but as an opportunity to cultivate who you are already are into an even more outstanding young lady. Don't be afraid to let people know who you are. Much Love, Nicole

I wish I would have known that most students go home on the weekends, it was very difficult my first year to find friends who stuck around on campus, and it would have influenced my decision to attend this school.

University of St Thomas-Saint Paul administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.