Saint Paul, MN
University of St Thomas-Saint Paul

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend University of St Thomas-Saint Paul

Ethan

Saint Thomas is a great school, with a lot of opportunity. As long as your finances are in order it's very manageable. It's easy to fall behind, just as much as any other school I assume, but teachers generally do not allow late or make up assignments. If you're looking for an on campus job, it is "unofficially" based on you're name and who you know. Socially, it is very easy to fit in on campus.

College is not like high school so, it is very important to extinguish any of those thoughts. You may have a lot more free time with your class schedule, but that time isn't "free" time, that is the time that you must use to study. Do NOT let yourself get behind, because keeping up can be hard enough. Make sure you have a good balance between school and social life, or you can find yourself getting stressed out and going into a downward spiral. Do not buy books from the book store if at all possible, because it is a huge waste of money. Do not think that you can spend money like you did in high school, save it. A lot of people go to college and have to false idea that they can go out to eat and drink all the time, but when it comes to paying the bills they find themselves in trouble.

How hard it is to get financial support according to need base and jobs on basis of work study qualifications.

After my junior year of college in 2006, I transferred schools. I had two years left in an Art degree. When I moved I started working at a bike shop which opened me up to bike racing, and for the last five years I have competed in 35-45 races per year. Through bike racing, I developed an interest in sports nutrition but since I was already so far along in school, I didn’t want to change my degree to something so different from art which would probably have required at least a few more years of school. If I could go back to talk to my high school self, I would advise myself to either transfer schools earlier, or look for a job at a bike shop sooner. If I would have gotten into cycling even one year earlier, I believe that I would have changed my degree to Exercise Physiology/Kinesiology instead of settling on an Art Degree. This I believe would have fast tracked the route I am following right now; I would probably be working on a Masters degree by now instead of just getting started on a second undergraduate degree.

If I could go back in time and talk to myself as a high school senior I would inform myself of how much I really will enjoy being a student at the University of Saint Thomas. However, I would give myself the advice that I should work even harder to get more money to pay for my education at the University of Saint Thomas for in the future I would have to pay for my education out of my own pocket, for my family cannot support me and I am at risk of only attending the University of Saint Thomas for one year. I will also make sure to point out the importance of making sure that all the college credit that I will receive through the Post-Secondary Enrollment Option at Anoka-Ramsey Community College will transfer to the University of Saint Thomas in addition to still obtaining my Associate’s Degree before I graduate high school. I would also inform myself that I will eventually come to realize how enthusiastic I am about learning and teaching others and to keep my same motivated and optimistic attitude for, my seven younger siblings look up to me.

The most frustrating thing about the University of Saint Thomas is that it is extremely expensive.

Dan

If I could talk to the slacking senior Dan McQuillan right now, I would tell him to stop slacking and finsih strong. I would also tell him to take as many math,science and english/literature/writing courses as possible in highschool so that you can get some college credit or at the very least be prepared for the amount of work in those fields to come in college. I would also remind him that talking to alumni of colleges is actually a great way to find out which schools suit your personality, even if it does seem lame or like a waste of time. Also I would say play sports as long as you can if you still love them, especially at a school that supports athletics it is a great way to meet people and stay motivated. That is just about everything I would tell myself, and since I can't go back I will use my own advice to tell other highschool students I know about what I just wrote. Thanks for the opportunity to take this survey!

I do not think there is a worst part about the university of st.thomas. I think that buildings, especially the engineering and science buildings could use more equipment and updated material/labs especially with how much we pay for schooling.

The most frustrating thing I can think of is that there does not seem to be a student center where students can all go and hang out on the weekends or at night to socialize. There are not many near by social even buildings for students. However, there is a huge new student center being built now which will change that all. ANother frustrating thing is when we are limited by what equipment we have or what books we do or do not have. With the amount of money we spend for this education we should never be limited.

Korbyn

The advice I would give myself as a high school senior is to relax and enjoy the experience, but at the same time work hard because it is hard to get your GPA up once it is really low. The first year, living in the dorms, is a big change, but it's the best experience you could have. College is stressful, but very exciting, so don't rush the 4 years because they already go by really fast. Also, studying in college is not like studying in high school, so learn good techniques that will get you through each exam. Lastly, get to know the library, it's where the cool college students hang out.

The worst thing about by school is that it is so expensive. I need a lot of financial aid and even some extra loans just to cover it. A lot of the students here are having their parents pay for their college tuition which seems to not be a problem for them, but for me it's really hard.

Jonessa

If i could go back in time, i would tell myself to stay focused. Destractions are there to test how strong your will power is to stay intuned to the presented work. I would just tell myself how important a good education is.

Aaron

If I were to go back I would make sure to just be myself and try to be outgoing to meet new people early on. I would also give the advice on how to make the most of my financial aid. The first year of school I took a considerably larger loan than the next two years. I have learned to stretch my dollars further and I am even studying abroad in spain this coming semester and it is even costing less than it would for a regular semester at school here. It is important to know what you are getting into when you sign your loans, make sure that you feel comfortable paying that amount of money back after graduation.

I wish I knew more about financing and how to pay for school/get the most in terms of scholarships/awards, it is an expensive institution.

Emma

I think the school is well known for it's Catholic background and it's football team.

Appreciate living at home while you can. You'll miss your family even if it does seem hard to live with them right now. Don't forget how much they matter and how much they care.

I think the best thing about St Thomas is the sense that the professors care about the students and the subject they are teaching in. It makes a huge difference when a teacher is interactive and friendly to students.

katelyn

I would get involved sooner with volunteerism and be more out-going from the start. I would also study more right from the beginning, and ask more questions.

Challenging classes and caring teachers are the best attributes of my school. I also am involved in volunteerism and campus activities.

Shane

A beautiful campus and a respected institution.

A beautiful campus and a respected institution.

If I could go back and talk with myself I would say two things. The first and most important thing I would tell myself is that in college it is the responsibility of the student to learn the material. Unlike it was in highschool, college professors will provide you with the information but they will not collect homework and make sure that you are learning it. Every class will have suggested homework to help you understand the material but you must force yourself to actually do it. The student must seek help for themselves if they are struggling no one will help you if you don't ask. The second thing I would say to myself is to not waste time. there is much more freetime in college when compared to highschool. You are incharge of what you do for the first time in your life and procrastination is very tempting. It is important to use this freetime to finish homework and get enough sleep. Try to do something productive before having fun with friends or just relaxing. Teach yourself to be studious by using fun activities as a reward.

It is very expensive even with finacial aid.

University of St Thomas-Saint Paul administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.