Saint Paul, MN
University of St Thomas-Saint Paul

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend University of St Thomas-Saint Paul

Shane

A beautiful campus and a respected institution.

A beautiful campus and a respected institution.

If I could go back and talk with myself I would say two things. The first and most important thing I would tell myself is that in college it is the responsibility of the student to learn the material. Unlike it was in highschool, college professors will provide you with the information but they will not collect homework and make sure that you are learning it. Every class will have suggested homework to help you understand the material but you must force yourself to actually do it. The student must seek help for themselves if they are struggling no one will help you if you don't ask. The second thing I would say to myself is to not waste time. there is much more freetime in college when compared to highschool. You are incharge of what you do for the first time in your life and procrastination is very tempting. It is important to use this freetime to finish homework and get enough sleep. Try to do something productive before having fun with friends or just relaxing. Teach yourself to be studious by using fun activities as a reward.

It is very expensive even with finacial aid.

Anthony

The community is very strong. There is always something to do and while many students make destructive decisions, there are plenty who are not.

I would ask myself why someone would go to school to learn how to succeed in an unjust world, rather than go to school to receive the skills needed to transform the world into a more just place. This is the most important lesson I have learned in college. To analyze the lives of those who are content, and those who live a life full of anxiousness and worry, only leads one to see that only those who’s goals transcend themselves are truly happy. It does not matter the costs involved, it does not matter the mountains before you, and it certainly doesn’t matter what others think, because if every day you are making the world a tangibly better place what regrets could you possibly have?

The Justice and Peace department is the best on campus.

Kathleen

St. Thomas is the largest private institution in the state of Minnesota, but it is still much smaller and intimate than state and public schools in the twin cities area. The large size results in a variety of opportunities to become involved through clubs, athletics and other campus organizations, but the school is small enough to allow everyone to stand out and be a leader. The school is located on Summit Avenue and in the middle of a neighborhood of some of the most beautiful Victorian houses in the country. Students feel comfortable beyond the boundaries of the campus and enjoy access to the scenic Mississippi river bike and walking trails just a few blocks away. Downtown Minneapolis and St. Paul are only a five minute drive away. It's great to be a Tommie especially with the recent successes of our varsity sports in the past few years. Our football team is one of the top ranked D3 teams in the country and our stands are always filled with excitement and purple. One of the best traditions of St. Thomas is the annual Tommie/Johnnie football game against our rival St. Johns. 2010's game resulted in the highest attended D3 football game ever. As a varsity athlete the values of sportsmanship, spirit and camaraderie are considerably stronger here than in any other team I have participated in. St. Thomas puts the personal touch on academics. The average class size is 21 students, but I have been in classes as small as 12. Every professor that you have will know you on a first name basis and are generally very useful in helping you find opportunities to excel in your field beyond the classroom.

A lot of people assume that St. Thomas kids are all "rich and spoiled kids," but it is far from the truth. In fact about 95% of the students that attend St. Thomas have been offered some form of scholarship from the school. Thanks to the scholarship I received, I am able to afford the tuition. Our generous alumni and benefactors have made that opportunity possible for many other students.

Melissa

One of the most positive aspects of St. Thomas is the one on one help that professors give their students. I have never taken a class and found myself thinking "does my professor even care about my grade?" Walking onto the UST campus I was blown away. It is absolutely gorgeous and definitely a selling point. Being in a place of beauty is inspirational. One thing that I would like to change on my campus is the sole focus on athletics. I think that our university has so many other interesting and wonderful clubs, but many of them don't get the credit or attention that they deserve. Aside from that though, I think that my campus is awesome. We have tons of school pride. This is often demonstrated through "Tommy Tuesdays" when students wear purple to support UST!

There are many different popular clubs or groups at St. Thomas! I think that the group "STAR" is fairly prominent. STAR does a lot of fundraising and promoting for organizations on campus. They also deal with social activities such as concerts or dances. They are a great group to be apart of and welcome many students to their organization each semester. I met my closest friends at UST in the dorms. Many people left their doors closed in the dorms, but we always kept ours open. This was a great way to stop in and meet new people. It's an easy way to show that you want to make new friends! We do not have frats/sororities at St. Thomas. We have many different clubs that give students an alternative to partying or drinking.

I don't think that any "type" of student would feel out of place at St. Thomas due to the many clubs and organizations. As long as you are willing to put yourself out there, you will easily find people that share common interests. I am involved with the club Students for Justice and Peace. This club works with many other departments throughout St. Thomas. We do a lot of work involving human rights, the environment, social problems etc. I would say that many students that attend UST come from upper middle class families. I would say that most students at St. Thomas are politically aware and politically educated.

I think that stereotypes of students at the University of St. Thomas range depending on gender. I think that for the most type the stereotype of men at St. Thomas is that they are all classic "jocks". The stereotype of the women at St. Thomas is that they are preppy and ditzy. When I hear about these stereotypes from students attending surrounding schools I laugh because these stereotypes are not true! Sure there are jocks and preps etc. but it's not fair to group all students into these categories. You shouldn't put anyone in a box!

I absolutely love the University of St. Thomas. There are only about 15 to 20 students in each class which makes it easy to form relationships with teachers and classmates. The campus is very compact; it takes only fifteen minutes to walk from one end of campus to the other. I am definitely grateful for this short walking distance during the cold, Minnesota winter months. In addition to being compact, the campus is also beautiful. The grass of the upper and lower quads is luscious and green during the fall and spring. Students are often seen playing Frisbee, studying or lounging on the quads during these warmer months. The location is ideal as well. The University of St. Thomas is located in the heart of St. Paul which is a cozy, residential, Minnesota city. There is also a shuttle bus, which is free for students, that the university owns and uses to transport students to downtown Minneapolis. Downtown Minneapolis offers students a range of activities with its restaurants, movie theatres, clubs, museums, shopping malls and much more.

Undergraduate Student Government and Pulse are popular activities on campus. Undergraduate Student Government (USG) gets students together in an attempt to create change on campus. For example, this year USG is working to make the University of St. Thomas a smoke-free campus and make it mandatory for the cafeteria to post nutritional information about the meals they serve. Pulse is also a popular group on campus. Pulse is a dance group that performs shows throughout the year. The songs performed by Pulse are popular and stimulating. The dancing is phenomenal as well. The dancers perform different styles of dance such as hip-hop, interpretive, ballet, salsa and many, many more. Varsity athletics are popular as well. I am on the swim team and even though it requires a lot of hard work, joining the team was one of the best decisions I made because of the support it offers. Everyone on the team helps each other with everything. We spend endless hours together studying at the library, talking to each other about what we want to do after graduation and going out on weekends. Most of my best friends are on the swim team. From what I have heard, the other athletic teams at the University of St. Thomas are similar in their support of each other.

Most classes average about 15 to 20 students. Typically, professors know the name of every student in the class and show a sincere interest in their well-being. My professors have always been willing to talk with me after class or schedule an appointment with me to discuss a paper, test or class material. The professors encourage learning and want students to be successful in their classes. The university also has an honors program. Students are invited to be in the program and if they are accepted, must maintain a certain GPA in order to stay in the program. Honors students are allowed to take Honors classes which have smaller class sizes are based more on discussion rather than lecture. In my experience, Honors classes have been more interesting and fun compared to regular classes because students actively engage in class discussions and show a greater desire to learn.

Students at the University of St. Thomas are typically stereotyped as being spoiled, stuck-up, rich kids who wear UGG boots and North Face apparel. Just like at any school, there are students who fit the stereotype, but most do not. The majority of students are friendly, helpful and very kind. The students at St. Thomas embody the commonly used phrase, “Minnesota Nice.”

Madeline

I think I would give my high school self and any high school senior the advice to get involved right away when they go to college. Getting involved was the best way for me to make new friends, stay busy while doing positive things, and to forget about being homesick. It is a great way to transition into living away from home and to meet new people. I would also give the advice to try new things! Going to college is a time when you can reinvent yourself and trying new things is a great way to discover new passions. College is such an exciting time when you are introduced to endless opportunities. It is up to you what you make of it, so take chances, work hard and seize life with a positive attitude!

I feel that the best part about St. Thomas is how many opportunties it offers. It offers everything from intramural sports, to student leadership opportunities, student government, volunteer opportunities and a wide array of clubs and organizations. St. Thomas faculty and staff are extremely helpful to students, helping us to succeed and graduate on time. There are also services offered on campus for any question or problem you may have about academics, jobs and internships, or future careers. It is very comforting to know that help is always available.

When I talk about St. Thomas I always mention the amount of personal attention paid to each student by teachers and advisors and how much I have learned since I began. I also mention how involved I am and how much of a leader I have become since attending the school. I love to talk about my experiences as a Resident Advisor, Talking Circles Diversity Retreat Leader, member of Tutor-Mentor, member of the UST Cheer Team and PULSE performing arts club choreographer.

Ryan

My classmates at St. Thomas are reflective of the outstanding character demanded at St. Thomas, are motivated and driven to succeed, and genuinely care about those around them, on campus and in the community.

If I could go back and tell myself anything, it would be to continue working hard all the way through senior year. College is a lot tougher and more demanding than high school ever was, so it does not follow that we should slack off at the end of our senior year and forget what it's like to really work once college comes around. It's important to study hard and finish strong so that we might start college on the right foot and continue to be successful in our undergraduate work.

The best thing about St. Thomas is the way the University cares for its students. By giving us the best services, staff, and professors, I am proud to be educated here.

Richard

St. thomas is a great school, but I admit that the price is a considerable amount to pay. One thing that makes this a bit comforting is knowing that St. Thomas is the biggest private college in Minnesota, yet you will rarely find yourself in a class with more than 25 students. You will also find yourself being taught by a professor themself, rather than a Teaching Assistant; I have heard many horror stories, from friends at other colleges and universities, about their classes going awry due to a Teaching Assistant being in charge of nearly the entire class. University of St. Thomas professors are there to help their students learn, and they engage in each student's personal learning process. I feel incredibly fortunate for the opportunity to learn at St. Thomas.

What are your classes like?

My classes at St. Thomas are interesting and intimate, because the professor will always know you by name and will get you involved in class as much as you want to be involved in the class. Other students help facilitate the learning quite a bit, and the professors help those classroom relationships to flourish. I actually met my current girlfriend because we helped each other learn a great deal in one of our sophomore classes The classes at St. Thomas help you learn so much, but it gets absorbed without your knowledge because the classes and professors are so interesting.

Clubs for students' majors are probably the most popular groups on campus. What is nice about these clubs is that they allow students to connect with other students that are interested in the same field of learning. Outside of the classroom, it can be a blast to get some friends together and form an intramural team for basketball or softball or football or pretty much whatever major sport you want to join. Our varsity football and basketball teams have done incredibly well over the last few years, and those games can become whole events that you do not want to miss.

If I had to choose three words: Excited, driven, and fun. Most days you cannot turn a corner on campus without seeing someone furiously copying a textbook, or a student picking a professor's brain in a hallway, or a study-group discussing their upcoming class. St. Thomas is a school filled with driven students, who are determined to make a positive difference in the world and know the hard work it takes to get there. This is not to say that you won't find those same students organizing a touch-football game for the quad in the afternoon, or planning a fun night out on Grand Avenue, or asking people to gettogether for a relaxing night of movies and some DaVanni's pizza. St. Thomas students know how to be excited and driven about their education, but also how to relax and have a good time. Some of my best memories have been made with friends I randomly met in the classroom, which is exciting because I still have a bunch of classes to take before I graduate!

Learning from professors at St. Thomas is one of the easiest and most rewarding experiences one can have in a lifetime. I went into the university set to be a Math major, and now I am in my junior year and almost done with my English with a Writing Emphasis major and an American Culture and Difference minor. My major switch was due to the classes I took and the professors who taught me. They revealed me to myself and introduced me to things I had never tried before but enjoyed immensely. I never knew how much I loved to write creatively before my freshman English professor had us explore our abilities. St. Thomas is a wonderful place to continue on a path of a lifelong dream, or also to perhaps spark an entirely new dream.

I live off-campus, with some of my University of Minnesota friends, and one common thing I hear them say is how a lot St. Thomas kids are stuck up and snobby. Don't worry, because I protest them every time they say something of the sort. I had no problem making friends and thriving in my Tommy life in the dorms, and that has not changed since I moved off-campus. I'm confident that anyone can find a place to fit perfectly at St. Thomas.

Brandon

My school is a very invigorating challenging school. The acedemics are delightfully challenging and the classroom atnosphere is wonderful, promoting good discussion. All of this intertwined with a good foundation of faith Campus life is very wonderful too. There is plenty to do with all of the on campus activities as well as the close proximity to downtown St. Paul and the free bussing to downtown Minneapolis. In short I love it here.

The thing I would like to change most about my high school career would be to try harder. The more work that is done in high school, the easier college is going to be.

A person who should not attend this school is a person who does not want to succed in life! A person who is apathetic in there studies or an unplesant person would not do well here.

Alexandra

The student group I'm involved with is Saint Paul's Outreach, which is a Catholic outreach group on campus. We are trying to build relationships with people. befriend people, and lead them to the Gospel. We have small groups on campus where we foster friendships with all different kinds of people and learn about the Gospel together. We have social events and monthly praise and worship and learning nights. We are fairly popular in the Christian scene on campus. There are only two Christian\Catholic groups. I don't think that there is one student group on campus that is the most popular. Many of them are pretty small and intimate. There are many niches at St. Thomas and you just have to pick one and you could spend all of your time with that group. On campus though, many students are part of the Residence Hall Association or STAR which is the student activities group. There isn't one group that stands out over all of them. I think is nice because it doesn't create a popular group and every other group is inferior to that group. Because they're all fairly small, the groups are on the same plane.

University of St Thomas-Saint Paul administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.