Saint Paul, MN
University of St Thomas-Saint Paul

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend University of St Thomas-Saint Paul

The University of St. Thomas has an attractive campus and is well maintained with a student:staff ratio of 15:1. The upper classes are small and often engaging. When my mother tells family that I am attending UST, often they are impressed. However, UST has a few drawbacks. It requires an excessive amount of theology and philosophy courses (12 credits and 8 credits, respectively). The curriculum claims to want students to acquire an understanding of Faith and the Catholic Tradition when ultimately one course, or two most, is sufficient. One who is not taken by organized religion cannot help but feel like one is having propaganda crammed down one's throat. These feelings spread evenly to philosophy (Moral and Philosophical Reasoning) in that courses do not deviate from theology. One is to impose the what and why of Catholicism, while the other imposes the how using arguments that are impossible to contradict. The UST also lacks a college town. There are a couple restaurants, the obligatory bookstore and social commons, and [in]convenience store which is full of chips, pizzas, ice cream, and candy, with a small corner dedicated to Naked juices and a back wall for over the counter drugs. However, if one wants shampoo, healthy foods such as salads and lunch meat not packed with salts, one must get on a bus and go to the nearby Rainbow store. Additionally, there is no bank, just a U.S. Bank ATM . Luckily, there is are additional ATMs nearby, such as the Wells Fargo ATM inside the Grand Ave. gas station. However, the school has excellent facilities. One who is sports and fitness oriented may enter the recreation center to enjoy use of the pool, weight room, gym, and dance rooms. Overall, the school is just decent enough to get away with asking for its tuition fee. I am no stranger to the bus, but I suggest having a line of transportation ready for serious errands and supplies.

The Tommy stereotype is often that of a stuck-up rich kid interested in business and law. As with all stereotypes, the exaggeration is born from a nugget of truth. There are rich kids here. There are business students, and there are students who will go on to law school. However, there are also students here pursuing the fulfillment of liberal arts. There are students pursuing a career in mathematics and engineering. There are students pursuing priesthood. It is easy to look at a school outside of one's own and make snap judgments, but in truth the campus of St. Thomas only has its own fair share of entitled differences. It is an expensive school, but often that means it has more money to give away, so the notion that all St. Thomas students are rich and pompous is only true as far as other campus's stereotypes are true.

Anne

My overall opinion of the University of St. Thomas is highly positive. I have had such a great experience so far and I am not even halfway through my time here! One of the best things about this school is the feel of community we have. Though it is great in terms of walking distances, this close-group community feel is not because of the closeness of the campuses; it's all about the endless student involvement in even the smallest of clubs, the student attendance at sporting events to cheer for peers you may not even know, the willingness of all professors to help individuals in any way possible, and those relationships you form as you get to know students in your same major as you continue to have classes with them over the years. The student body size is fairly small, but I personally embrace that and have loved getting to know so many more people at a closer level instead of meeting tons of acquaintances in huge lecture halls. If I were to change anything about St. Thomas, I would remove one or two of the required core classes for Theology and Philosophy. After taking those types of courses throughout high school, I personally have discovered that I am not passionate about either topic so would prefer to have a choice whether or not to take them. However, I understand that this is a Catholic university and that religion and philosophy can enhance the overall curriculum of the school. When I tell people that I attend St. Thomas, they are usually impressed and immediately tell me how many of their co-workers are graduates from here; the university helps in the job search so much after graduating and the good 'St. Thomas graduate' title doesn't hurt either! Being located in St. Paul and Minneapolis does not really allow the surrounding campus areas to be a 'college town'; the nearby neighborhoods are filled with families and these cities are filled with activities that are not simply aimed at college students, allowing us to broaden our horizons with such a variety of things to do around the cities. An experience that I will never forget is the Tommie-Johnnie game of my freshman year. Our Tommies beat the Johnnies for the first time in a long time in a close-scoring game; I had never seen such school spirit and bonding between Tommie fans that had never met! The feeling of community and excitement is one that I will never forget.

St. Thomas sometimes has the reputation of being a 'suitcase school'. Since a huge portion of the student population come from suburbs and cities fairly close to the campus, it is tempting for students to go home all the time, which brought on the term 'suitcase school'. However, this is not the case! Campus may feel less lively on weekends because people aren't rushing to and from classes, but there are so many activities and sporting events on campus each weekend that there is always something to do! Another stereotype that comes up frequently revolves around St. Thomas female students. This stereotype is that UST girls are held to a standard of always looking their best--even just going to class!--and for having the nicest brands of clothes and accessories out there. Like the last stereotype, this is not true either! Of course some people take more pride than others in how they appear all the time, but that is true on every campus and really in life in general. The variety of appearances on campus is just that--a variety! In regards to the high-profile brand stereotype, this is also untrue. Everyone's money situation is different so this is an unfair generalization! Not everyone notices these things and like I said: there's a variety of appearances on campus and you can blend in or stand out in so many ways--it's your choice!

Students who put forth little effort in their endeavors and care very little about their education or future should not attend the University of St. Thomas. It is perfectly acceptable to be unsure of one's future or enter undecided about a major, but St. Thomas is not the school to attend if one is a careless student. Those who are in college solely for the socialization or 'party life' should also look elsewhere.

Students who are driven, creative, and desire to better our world should attend the University of St. Thomas. This school advocates individualism, yet there is a strong sense of community on campus. The job opportunities through St. Thomas are excellent because the school is well known and affiliated with companies all over the state, particularly in the cities. Students who want the ideal college location, education, and experience should attend St. Thomas.

Kristyn

A Catholic school in a big city setting with a friendly, supportive environment.

Try to visit all of your college options. If possible, spend the night with a current student. Do not be afraid to ask the tough questions, about admissions, financial aid, and campus life. If you have a field that interests you, try to set up a meeting with a professor to discuss the program. Once you arrive at college, take advantage of all of the opportunities. Meet new people, join clubs that sound interesting, and find at least one extra-curricular activity to join. Don't be afraid to ask your professors for extra help outside of class, and ask questions during class. Study hard, but have fun!

Chelsea

If I could go back in time and give my high-school-senior-self any advice about college, it would have to be to just relax; try not to worry about making friends, because everywhere you go, there will be people you can connect with. I would tell myself to embrace the time I had left in high school and try not to be sad about leaving, but feel blessed to have such a wonderful opportunity, and realize that it is one that, worldwide, hardly anyone recieves. I would tell myself to thank my parents, teachers, and anyone else who supported me and who got me to where I was: about to graduate and off to school in the fall. Overall, I would just tell myself to embrace the present and look forward to the future...everything is going to be fine.

Anyone who is interested in obtaining a quality, personal eduaction should attend. St. Thomas is very diverse, and does not have one certain type of person who should attend.

St. Thomas has small classes where the teachers can get to know you, and help you understand the material better. Also, in the residence hall I live in, there is carpet, and private bathroom. We also get discount tickets to countless things being so close to the city. It's great here!

Reggie

St Thomas has the best of both worlds in the sense of having a smaller classes but there is a lot of resources here for a great time learning !

This is the time of your life! Spend it wisley!

Someoen who values tradition and a liberal arts education along with their science and or business degree. St. Thomas is big on community and helping out with the needy. It's a great place to learn and meet live long friends.

Julia

I think the University of Saint Thomas (UST) is best known for it's Tommie Pride. Those who go to UST love it and we will show you how much we do care to go to such a great University.

Looking back and talking to myself as a high school senior I would tell myself to be prepared. Not just in the material sense but in a mental, emotionals sense. Leaving home and going far away is hard and try not to expect anything because everything might get tipped upside down. It's okay to feel lost and lonely. It's okay to cry for mom and then be mad when she calls every 36 hours to check on you. It's okay to miss your friends back home. But it's also better if you make a life for yourself at your school. No matter where you go you need to find where you belong, find the people you want to surround yourself with. Those people will have a greatest effect on you. Also, form good habits, the first six weeks are the most telling. What you do then is the most important. Love your family, love your school, love your life.

The kind of person who shouldn't attend this school is someone who wants only one end of the study/fun spectrum. The University of St. Thomas (UST) is for those who are looking for a mix. One could focus on only one side but UST has so many opportunities to get involved on campus and off. This school is a great place to be if you're looking for a fix of fun and studies.

Joseph

St. Thomas is great opportunity to succeed in life because I am surrounded by peers, teachers and coaches who care about my development as whole person in my academics, athletics and morals.

College is a different animal than highschool. It's a time for you to grow up on your own with out your parents holding you accountable to every little thing. When you get to college make friends with as many people as you can but surround yourself with good peers who will influence you to study, go to class, and make good life decisions. Because you are in controle of your life now, you will get to reap the benefits of you success but also you will pay for you mistakes. You will make wrong decisions but learn from those now so you dont make the same mistake. Next, dont be affraid to ask for help beacause the faculty really want you to succeed that's why they have their job. Don't procrastinate just because you have more free time and make sure you read and do your homework. Finally, make friends with the "nerds" because chances are they will be your boss in the future and just maybe you will meet some really cool friends.

St. Thomas is very accepting towards many life styles and offers a vast range of classes, activities and programs to suit almost any type of person. However, it is very religious and if someone is looking to not have anything to do with christianity they might want to look somewhere else. St. Thomas is a ton of fun and helps you grow and mature but if someone is looking for four years of partying and slacking off, they will not do well at St. Thomas.

Anne

We are probably best known for being right in the city and having most of our students live fairly close to the city area. Some people call us the 'suitcase school' because students often choose to go home for weekends due to how close they already are to home.

Looking back on my transition from high school to college life, I would tell myself to think about all of my positive involvement in my community and remember to continue those activities as I move into college. All of the freetime of college is so exciting at first, but bad habits form fast. Filling time immediately with great activities that I have always enjoyed such as volunteer work, mission trips, and club sports is something I would do anything to go back and start my freshman year. Not only would these things keep me productive and continue the great feeling I get after volunteering or playing in a sport for fun with friends, but they would also improve my resume for the future, which is invaluable.

People who love the city, enjoy the feel of being in a close community environment, thrive in small class sizes and like to participate in a broad base of extra curricular activities that are offered on campus.

Amber

When I first started college I did take a little bit of time to make the transition. But then I was used to going to school and what was expected of me. It's not something I had trouble with. The one thing I would tell myself when I was a senior is to be more serious about appling for scholarships. I must have thought that my bank account would never run out. But I was wrong because everything in this world is about money. Everything has a price. And now that tuition is going up its been harder to figure out how to pay off my student loans. I set a goal to graduate with no or as little debt as possible and I now have about four months to achieve that goal.

University of St Thomas-Saint Paul administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.