Saint Paul, MN
University of St Thomas-Saint Paul

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend University of St Thomas-Saint Paul

Carly

The lack of academic rigor at my school because I don't feel challenged currently and for what I see college as a symbol as, I don't feel like my university reaches that standard from what I have experienced. However, I still have a level of hope that St. Thomas will push me and I will grow as a person through my experiences.

I wish I would have understood what a small campus size entailed, like the possibility of finding mentors, and the level of academic rigor at my school. A small school has many benefits, but it also has drawbacks and it feels like opportunities aren't presented on campus, but outside of the college community in St. Paul.

Rebecca

When considering the rest of my college career, I had to look at a variety of aspects. Looking at the the town, the genuity of the people, and what the school could bring me in my future, all led to what choice I would make. The University of St. Thomas had different unique qualities that the other schools I applied to did not. This school is full of creative minds, people with full hearts that are truly interested in the betterment of their future, ad finally, this school had the atmosphere of a family that would not let others down.

Life gets rocky, but that's not something you don't know already. Obviously you know that perseverance allows hard work to have a greater meaning and purpose for life, but realize that continues on through college. Obviously you know that drama exists, but do you know that it will continue to exist even though college is all about maturation? I want you to recognize that college IS about changing, and maturing and finally growing into that person that you have always wished you could be. But, I also want to tell you that all the changes, all the differences between high school and college that seem as though they could knock you off your path, those changes are the ones you have to ebb and flow with. Fighting with the changes, giving up against the challenges and difficulties, that's when you'll lose your path. What I'm here to tell you is that if you surrender to the change, and work with the challenges to make you stronger, you'll make it through anything. You're strong now, but get stronger. Work harder, study longer, maintain relationships that mean the most to you; you'll make it.

The city is a place not for the weak spirited, and that is exactly how St. Thomas is. A student looking to come here should have immense school spirit, but that is not the only kind of spirit they need. They need to have the spirit to help others, to work hard to better themselves, and finally the spirit to make this a community full of the brave hearted.

Claire

University of St. Thomas is best known for its students being health conscious, and high standards. The students here set high goals for themselves and the University is known for helping them achieve those goals, particularily in the business world.

If you like to go home every weekend, you should not attend this school. There are lots of fun things going on during the weekends on campus and many people miss out for leaving! Also, don't attend this school if you often skip class, the classes are quite small and the professors quickly learn your name.

If I could give advice to my high school self, I would say "lean in." I would urge myself to lean into everything that is college. If you get invited to go out to eat pizza with some students on your dormitory floor, lean into the conversation. Be present, be active and truely take an interest in them as individuals. I would tell myself to lean into community living. Although it is easier just to stick to what you know or who you know, leaning into the community on campus will be worth it when your closer friends aren't around. I would say lean into campus participation. Even if you don't know a single person in an on campus club or organization, join anyway! Connecting with people is really easy to do when you have something in common such as a passion for sports or a hobby. Last but not least lean into the career planning opportunities. Utilize mock interviews and internships. They are nerve racking and scary, but doing so relieves some of the stresses and pressures of graduation that are sure to arrive in your fourth year. Lean in Claire!

I am really struggling with making payments for school. Although the university does give out significant financial aid awards, the courses are pay-per-credit, not just a set tuition. For that reason, the more classes you take, the more expensive it is. Being that I have a major and two minors it is hard to make my payments.

If I were able to go back in time and talk to myself as a high school senior I would give myself so many pieces of advice. First, and foremost, I would tell myself to stop worrying so much. I went through quite a bit of emotional stress and issues going in my freshman year of college because I stressed myself out to much. I would encourage myself to take it one day at a time and realize that everything will truly work out the way it is supposed to be. Secondly, I would tell myself that it is okay to not always have a clear, defined idea of what I am doing or who I am. College is about finding out who you are and what your passions are and sometimes you have to make a few mistakes, stumble, fall and get back up before things are clear. I would tell myself to take a deep breath and realize that I will constantly be changing, evolving and growing--and that's good. Lastly, I would tell myself to always follow my heart, no matter what. Your heart clearly can point you in the right direction in times of trouble.

The education I receive in terms of the academics and the opportunites my professors have given me are amazing. My professors continue to inspire me and cultivate new knowledge in me.

Lydia

A person who is not willing to participate in campus and hall events will have a hard time finding things to do at night and on the weekends. A person who is not driven to do their very best will not do well in classes because the professors will challenge each student to do their very best.

A person who is hardworking and dedicated to their studies would be a great fit for this school. The academics are quite rigorous, but if a student is willing to put in effort they will be successful. There are many clubs and organizations to be involved in which help to round the student. Overall a student who is willing to put time into not only their studies, but the activities on campus is a great fit.

Ryley

The University of St. Thomas not only was the most beautiful campus I toured, but as I did my research and especially now that I attend classes here, I've learned that the professors are really very intelligent and come from all around the states to teach at St. Thomas. The classes are small, but that gives the opportunity to get personalized feedback and create relationships with your professors. Also, the course material is specialized and in depth which makes the classes interesting. Compared to other colleges, St. Thomas is a safe and positve environment to learn and live in.

Ryley - Don't ever doubt that you are talented or deserve to be in the place that you are. You have earned your place at St. Thomas and you are there to propel yourself into a successful future. Don't blow off your parents when it comes to the scholarship stuff; yeah, they are super annoying but when you get your first tuition bill, reality will hit hard and you're going to wish you listened to them. Appreciate your friends and family before you go, and make sure to keep in contact with them; I know you want to leave your old life behind, but the people that have been there for you throughout the years are the ones that really count and you're not going to want to lose them. Be open to talking about ANY problems you're having at school with either mom and dad or your older sister, because mom and dad are smart and Whitney has been through this process before. Don't be afraid to be yourself, even though a lot of people may not like you, you will find people who do - stick with and support those friends. Love yourself. -Ryley

The most frustrating part about St. Thomas, is it feels very disconnected from the outside world. There aren't a lot of off-campus things that are within walking distance. Another frustrating part is the emphasis on religion at this school, I realize it is a private, catholic university, but sometimes it can be overwhelming. No one is forced to go to church or participate in prayer, but it gets a little weird when you're walking to class and there are 50+ seminarians singing hymns as they walk through the plaza.

Sarah, for you, college is different; but believe me when I tell you that it is wonderful. You're going to love it. Don't ever be afraid of that difference, because change is something everyone needs in their life and it opens them up to wonderful possibilities they didn't even know existed--because they were too afraid. Yes, being uncomfortable sucks but being uncomfortable is the only way to embrace new ideas, people, and experiences. So shake off the uncertainty, the doubt, and the fear and be prepared to jump into every situation with an open mind and a positive attitude. That kind of mindset will guide you to success and happiness--and let's face it, happiness (with all of its constituents like love, acceptance, and understanding) is the most important thing you can find in your lifetime.

The atmosphere in general is my favorite thing about UST. St. Thomas is an absolutely gorgeous school that offers so much to its students, and it is somewhere I truly enjoy being. We are located in the heart of St. Paul, but it feels like we belong in a community. Professors and classes are engaging; students are fun, different, and hard-working. I believe all of these things create a college atmosphere I can't inhale enough of.

Someone who is comfortable around others who are generally wealthy should attend this school. Applicants definitely do not need to be wealthy, trust me, not everyone who goes to UST is, but most students come from well-off families. Applicants should also enjoy a small campus and classrooms, and be open to new ideas.

Mackenzie

The worst thing about the University of St. Thomas is the amount of required courses. Many of the courses that we are required to take can benefit everyone. However, it is required that we take three Theology courses. The University of St. Thomas is a Catholic school so it is no surprise that this is a requirement. However, I do not believe that it is necessary to have students take three Theology courses.

If I were to go back in time and talk to myself as a high school senior, I would tell myself to think about success and what it means to me and not others. Senior year, the goal is to score well on your ACT, SAT, and AP or IB tests. The higher the score, the more successful you believed you were. Everyone is so consumed in getting a higher score that they put aside their own happiness. I thought that a higher score would mean more happiness because I was successful, however that is not the case. At this point, I believed that success was defined by grades, achievments, and awards given to me. However, I know now that these things can only get you so far. Although I do not know how to define success in a way that is not measured by grades or achievements, I would tell my-high-school-senior-self to redefine success. Overall, parents, teachers, and peers ingrain in you that in order to successful you need good grades and to acheive many things. However, I would go back and tell myself that this not all there is to success.

People who are not open to learning/hearing about others beliefs should not attend the University of St. Thomas. On campus, there is a mix of religion and political views, as on any campus. However, students are not afraid to voice their opinion. From just being on campus one semster, it is very evident that there are many people who are differ from each other. Therefore, if you are not open or respectful towards others beliefs, this school would not be a good fit.

Richard

College is rough. It is no easy ride and there is absolutely no hand holding. As a high school student you should stop focusing on your overall letter grade and take a step back. Look at why you are recieving certain grades. Start to study more frequently, it is okay to skip going out with friends sometimes. In college, there will not be time to go out all the time and blow off studying for that upcoming test in math. Take advantage of down time, if you have four hours of free time, learn to use it usely. Take time for yourself, but sacrifice half of your free time and really focus on getting the important stuff done FIRST. Learn the material, by learning what you need to know you are taking the stress away from yourself that you might suffer later down the line. Also, it does not hurt to apply for scholarships early. I know it does not seem important now, but scholarships will overall save you stress of knowing you have thousands of dollars in loans to pay back eventually. In the end, I know you can do it. Have fun and study hard my friend.

I wish I would have known the lack of diversity that was at my school.

Mohamud

Ethnic diversity. There is too much of the "sameness".

Ethnic diversity. There is too much of the "sameness".

Figure out your life goals, and what are you passionate in. Learn to apply yourself even when you are not challenged in school. Even though highschool classes do not challenge you, make sure that you don't recieve anything less than an A in any class. If you recieve all A's, you will recieve financial support, and not make your parents go through financial hell to pay for you. Dont let your mistake and laziness cost your parents their hard earned money. Develop a passion for personal improvement. Learn from all your mistakes instead of making the same mistakes over and over again. Learn to love reading. There is a lot of studys that show that reading is directly correlated to income. The average millionaire reads much more than the typical person. Work more than 40hrs a week and save as much as possible. School comes very easy to you so make sure to save a lot of money for college. You dont need a lot of friends. They will distract you from personal development and your life goals. Always challenge yourself and aim to be the best in evertyhing you do because thats how you become succesful

Lazy people. Not motivated people

University of St Thomas-Saint Paul administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.