Saint Paul, MN
University of St Thomas-Saint Paul

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend University of St Thomas-Saint Paul

Austin

My classmates are intelligent, passionate, and generally carry the same moral values that I believe to be good.

I like to share with my friends my passion for 3D printing. I have two of my own 3D printers, one in which I build myself. Since this is a rare interest for an eighteen year old, I like to talk about it to others. Most friends think it is pretty cool and it is an area of interest I can "brag" about that others find intriguing. I am hoping that my interest in 3D printing and materials leads to a future career, so while "bragging," it is cool when I find others that are interested too.

If I had the opportunity to go back to my high school self, I would tell him that it will be a harder transition than he would ever imagine. Listen to your mother would be my first lesson. Every time she tells you that habits are hard to break and start working on good study habits, I would make sure that high school Austin listened. Living on campus allows for so much extra free time with no one reminding what needs to be done. I would have mastered getting up with an alarm clock and learning to prioritize and be efficient with time. College classes are harder and there is a need to understand how to be an independent learner; something I didn’t comprehend until experiencing my first semester in college. I thought I was much smarter than I actually am! I had no idea the amount of work that I would need to put into my studies. Overall, listen to your Mom when she says to learn to work harder, because you will need to practice it first to become an efficient and effective learner in college.

Breanna

The transition between high school and college wasn't quite as easy as I thought that it would be. If I could I could go back in time and talk to myself as a high school senior I would tell myself three things. First, I would tell myself to be confident and to remember that everyone else is just as nervous as I am. I would tell myself to be social and open to starting conversations in order to make many new friends. Next, I would tell myself that I shouldn't expect to be able to do all of the activities offered on campus. There is just no way to participate in every acticity that I want to and also get schoolwork done in a timely manner. Finally, I would tell myself that I need to care about my schoolwork and grades, but I can't stress about them. I would remind myself that the first semester of college is tough for practically everyone, and I shouldn't expect to ace all of my courses. I would tell myself that the most important thing is to put my best effort forward and not get discouraged.

The worst thing about my school is that there are few tunnels for students to walk in during the winter. I think that this is a problem because winters in Minnesota can be very cold, and although my school has a relatively small campus, on very cold days it is possible to get frost bite in as little as 10 minutes; it can take longer than 10 minutes to get to some of the buildings on campus.

The kind of person who should not attend this school is someone who is struggling financially. This kind of person should not attend this school because although scholarships are given out, it is a pricy school to attend. If someone strongly wants to attend my school but does not have the financial means to do so, I believe that it would be a better idea to attend a community college first and then transfer to my school.

We are a community of original souls from different walks in life discovering who we want to be while masquerading as a frat of wealthy white kids.

A lot of people at the University of St. Thomas are very closed off. As you walk across campus, no one talks or smiles at you unless you know them. I was terrified walking across campus on the first day of classes because no one was smiling. As you get to know people, like at any school, interactions improve, but it is still a frusteration for me. I wish we had a more obviously welcoming environment. However, people are very nice once you get to know them.

There is a lot of good advice out there for incoming college freshman: Be yourself. Meet new people. Try new things. Get involved on campus. All are good strategies to navigate the craziness of college life. But why do we put ourselves through this craziness? Ultimately, we get a degree. If that were all, then the only advice needed would be to get good grades. But it's not. College is more than getting a degree. College gives you a place where you can learn how to live successfully in the "real world" without being directly in the "real world." College is a place where you are challeneged and grow to become the adult you arguably will be for the rest of your life. So live like it. Figure out how to be yourself in the world. Figure out how to balance work and play. Figure out why you believe what you believe. Make mistakes, but learn from them. Learn how to handle new people, new things, and new ideas. College is a journey towards endless possibilities. All the advice gives you means of travelling, but remembering the "why" gives you control over where you go.

Leah

The Univeristy of St. Thomas is best known for its beautiful campus and small class sizes.

As a senior, I had life all figured out. I maintained a 4.0 GPA and was in many clubs that padded my college applications. I've always been known for being a high achiever. As soon as someone tells me I can't do something, I set my sights and don't stop until I overcome that obstacle. I was set to attend the University of Minnesota in Minneapolis in the fall. This would mean going from a school of 300 to 50,000. Many people doubted my decision to go to such a large school and that only fueled my desire to prove them wrong. I lasted just 10 days at U of M before realizing it wasn't for me. Luckily, I still had a spot for me at St. Thomas, the only other school I was considering. The adivce I would give the hard-headed person I was last year is that it's okay to take the path of less resistance. Just because I can handle the challenge doesn't mean I have to. I am overjoyed to be a student at St. Thomas now that I realized what I wanted from my school.

The only thing I dislike about St. Thomas is the private school tuition price tag. It is more expensive than any state school, but the college gives out scholarship awards to 95% of students.

Katherine

My classmates are supportive, creative, and inspirational so that it encourages me to be better.

Through the value of growth, you will realize how important it is to make decisions, even when difficult, in order to do what is right for you, others, and your community. When you follow what you believe, you will achieve growth and success. You will begin to see these changes in many ways, some internal and some more concrete. First, you will be a better person when you make decisions that solidify your beliefs. This can be challenging when it means going against what others or society say in contradication. Through the process you will find confidence in yourself and your decsisions. Next, others will see the confidence you have, and they will come to you so that they can grow along side you and make a change in the world. Confidence is contageous. Finally, when you chose to serve your community and address a need, you may have to sacrifice self-serving desires but you will find fulfillment and this will benefit everyone involved, including yourself. Find out what you are passioante about, establish values, and live by them. Now, conluding 2014, you have achieved so much, and it has created a lens to see more opportunities to flourish.

The main frustration I have found at the Univeristy of St. Thomas is that there are so many extra-curriculars and opportunities that I am unable to participate in every activity that I am interested in. It is a great problem to have, but I wish I had more time to be in multople places at once!

Carly

The lack of academic rigor at my school because I don't feel challenged currently and for what I see college as a symbol as, I don't feel like my university reaches that standard from what I have experienced. However, I still have a level of hope that St. Thomas will push me and I will grow as a person through my experiences.

I wish I would have understood what a small campus size entailed, like the possibility of finding mentors, and the level of academic rigor at my school. A small school has many benefits, but it also has drawbacks and it feels like opportunities aren't presented on campus, but outside of the college community in St. Paul.

Rebecca

When considering the rest of my college career, I had to look at a variety of aspects. Looking at the the town, the genuity of the people, and what the school could bring me in my future, all led to what choice I would make. The University of St. Thomas had different unique qualities that the other schools I applied to did not. This school is full of creative minds, people with full hearts that are truly interested in the betterment of their future, ad finally, this school had the atmosphere of a family that would not let others down.

Life gets rocky, but that's not something you don't know already. Obviously you know that perseverance allows hard work to have a greater meaning and purpose for life, but realize that continues on through college. Obviously you know that drama exists, but do you know that it will continue to exist even though college is all about maturation? I want you to recognize that college IS about changing, and maturing and finally growing into that person that you have always wished you could be. But, I also want to tell you that all the changes, all the differences between high school and college that seem as though they could knock you off your path, those changes are the ones you have to ebb and flow with. Fighting with the changes, giving up against the challenges and difficulties, that's when you'll lose your path. What I'm here to tell you is that if you surrender to the change, and work with the challenges to make you stronger, you'll make it through anything. You're strong now, but get stronger. Work harder, study longer, maintain relationships that mean the most to you; you'll make it.

The city is a place not for the weak spirited, and that is exactly how St. Thomas is. A student looking to come here should have immense school spirit, but that is not the only kind of spirit they need. They need to have the spirit to help others, to work hard to better themselves, and finally the spirit to make this a community full of the brave hearted.

Claire

University of St. Thomas is best known for its students being health conscious, and high standards. The students here set high goals for themselves and the University is known for helping them achieve those goals, particularily in the business world.

If you like to go home every weekend, you should not attend this school. There are lots of fun things going on during the weekends on campus and many people miss out for leaving! Also, don't attend this school if you often skip class, the classes are quite small and the professors quickly learn your name.

If I could give advice to my high school self, I would say "lean in." I would urge myself to lean into everything that is college. If you get invited to go out to eat pizza with some students on your dormitory floor, lean into the conversation. Be present, be active and truely take an interest in them as individuals. I would tell myself to lean into community living. Although it is easier just to stick to what you know or who you know, leaning into the community on campus will be worth it when your closer friends aren't around. I would say lean into campus participation. Even if you don't know a single person in an on campus club or organization, join anyway! Connecting with people is really easy to do when you have something in common such as a passion for sports or a hobby. Last but not least lean into the career planning opportunities. Utilize mock interviews and internships. They are nerve racking and scary, but doing so relieves some of the stresses and pressures of graduation that are sure to arrive in your fourth year. Lean in Claire!

I am really struggling with making payments for school. Although the university does give out significant financial aid awards, the courses are pay-per-credit, not just a set tuition. For that reason, the more classes you take, the more expensive it is. Being that I have a major and two minors it is hard to make my payments.

If I were able to go back in time and talk to myself as a high school senior I would give myself so many pieces of advice. First, and foremost, I would tell myself to stop worrying so much. I went through quite a bit of emotional stress and issues going in my freshman year of college because I stressed myself out to much. I would encourage myself to take it one day at a time and realize that everything will truly work out the way it is supposed to be. Secondly, I would tell myself that it is okay to not always have a clear, defined idea of what I am doing or who I am. College is about finding out who you are and what your passions are and sometimes you have to make a few mistakes, stumble, fall and get back up before things are clear. I would tell myself to take a deep breath and realize that I will constantly be changing, evolving and growing--and that's good. Lastly, I would tell myself to always follow my heart, no matter what. Your heart clearly can point you in the right direction in times of trouble.

The education I receive in terms of the academics and the opportunites my professors have given me are amazing. My professors continue to inspire me and cultivate new knowledge in me.

Lydia

A person who is not willing to participate in campus and hall events will have a hard time finding things to do at night and on the weekends. A person who is not driven to do their very best will not do well in classes because the professors will challenge each student to do their very best.

A person who is hardworking and dedicated to their studies would be a great fit for this school. The academics are quite rigorous, but if a student is willing to put in effort they will be successful. There are many clubs and organizations to be involved in which help to round the student. Overall a student who is willing to put time into not only their studies, but the activities on campus is a great fit.

University of St Thomas-Saint Paul administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.