Saint Paul, MN
University of St Thomas-Saint Paul

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend University of St Thomas-Saint Paul

Mackenzie

The worst thing about the University of St. Thomas is the amount of required courses. Many of the courses that we are required to take can benefit everyone. However, it is required that we take three Theology courses. The University of St. Thomas is a Catholic school so it is no surprise that this is a requirement. However, I do not believe that it is necessary to have students take three Theology courses.

If I were to go back in time and talk to myself as a high school senior, I would tell myself to think about success and what it means to me and not others. Senior year, the goal is to score well on your ACT, SAT, and AP or IB tests. The higher the score, the more successful you believed you were. Everyone is so consumed in getting a higher score that they put aside their own happiness. I thought that a higher score would mean more happiness because I was successful, however that is not the case. At this point, I believed that success was defined by grades, achievments, and awards given to me. However, I know now that these things can only get you so far. Although I do not know how to define success in a way that is not measured by grades or achievements, I would tell my-high-school-senior-self to redefine success. Overall, parents, teachers, and peers ingrain in you that in order to successful you need good grades and to acheive many things. However, I would go back and tell myself that this not all there is to success.

People who are not open to learning/hearing about others beliefs should not attend the University of St. Thomas. On campus, there is a mix of religion and political views, as on any campus. However, students are not afraid to voice their opinion. From just being on campus one semster, it is very evident that there are many people who are differ from each other. Therefore, if you are not open or respectful towards others beliefs, this school would not be a good fit.

Richard

College is rough. It is no easy ride and there is absolutely no hand holding. As a high school student you should stop focusing on your overall letter grade and take a step back. Look at why you are recieving certain grades. Start to study more frequently, it is okay to skip going out with friends sometimes. In college, there will not be time to go out all the time and blow off studying for that upcoming test in math. Take advantage of down time, if you have four hours of free time, learn to use it usely. Take time for yourself, but sacrifice half of your free time and really focus on getting the important stuff done FIRST. Learn the material, by learning what you need to know you are taking the stress away from yourself that you might suffer later down the line. Also, it does not hurt to apply for scholarships early. I know it does not seem important now, but scholarships will overall save you stress of knowing you have thousands of dollars in loans to pay back eventually. In the end, I know you can do it. Have fun and study hard my friend.

I wish I would have known the lack of diversity that was at my school.

Mohamud

Ethnic diversity. There is too much of the "sameness".

Ethnic diversity. There is too much of the "sameness".

Figure out your life goals, and what are you passionate in. Learn to apply yourself even when you are not challenged in school. Even though highschool classes do not challenge you, make sure that you don't recieve anything less than an A in any class. If you recieve all A's, you will recieve financial support, and not make your parents go through financial hell to pay for you. Dont let your mistake and laziness cost your parents their hard earned money. Develop a passion for personal improvement. Learn from all your mistakes instead of making the same mistakes over and over again. Learn to love reading. There is a lot of studys that show that reading is directly correlated to income. The average millionaire reads much more than the typical person. Work more than 40hrs a week and save as much as possible. School comes very easy to you so make sure to save a lot of money for college. You dont need a lot of friends. They will distract you from personal development and your life goals. Always challenge yourself and aim to be the best in evertyhing you do because thats how you become succesful

Lazy people. Not motivated people

Grace

Advice To My High School Self I recommend fully taking advantage of all the college readiness programs that high school has to offer. College is a big decision, and putting off applications or pretending there is an infinite amount of time to do them only makes the decision harder. Consider all of the factos that go in to picking a certain college, not just how big of a "party school" a university is. Remember that this school will be your home for the next four years; pick somewhere where you feel you belong. Most importantly, remember that college is not for everyone. If you do not feel ready or want to take a break, by all means do so. There is no use in wasting money somewhere where you will not succeed. Do not feel pressured to go to a four year university just because everyone else is doing so. Do what makes you happy; you will thrive.

In my opinion, Saint Thomas is idealy fitted for a person looking to attend a smaller, close-knitted school with small class sizes and a great community feeling.

Before I had choosen to attend the University of Saint Thomas, I wish I would have put in to perspective how small it is. I really like the school, although sometimes I wish it was a little bit bigger so that I could get to know a larger variety of people.

Melanie

A place where you feel like you have your very own professors 100% invested in your education.

Helpful, smart, hungry to learn.

I would tell myself to take college seriously. Don't "take a break" and assume you will go later. Life will always get in the way. I know you are smart and you will do just fine in life, but remember your dream to achieve your degree and don't give up on it so easily. Finish it before marriage, full time jobs, and kids, it will be so much easier! I know you are so glad to be done with high school, but realize that at college, you will find that you love learning because they enrich your mind, they don't just make you pass the class like in high school. You will soon realize how important it is to keep learning and you'll love it!

Shawn

St. Thomas has lots of school pride and we are all family here.

St. Thomas has lots of school pride and we are all family here.

The worst thing about this school probably would have to be the lunch trays. They took away our trays, so we must make multiple trips between the table and the buffet line in the cafeteria. Having lunch trays made carrying plates and cups a lot easier and more efficient. Now, multiple trips are needed before one can begin eating.

If I could go back to my old self as a high school senior, I would give myself lots of advice. However, one very important piece of advice I would give myself is to take my studies seriously and actually sit down and take the time to know the information. My first year of college was very difficult because in high school, probably like most students, I never studied. I got away with no studying, but I think my GPA would have been much higher in high school if I did actually study. Now, here in college I have learned a lot about myself and I have learned my own personal study habits that I never had in high school. My time so far in college has been a time of self-discovery and I have learned that taking my studies seriously here in school is key to achieving success. So, to summarize, I would have to say that studying and really attempting to know the class material backwards, forwards, and upside down is extremely important to attaining success and going places in this world. Students taking their studies seriously will help them to unlock the secrets of this world.

Lily

Listen to your gut. You always second guess yourself and end up dissapointed. You know what you've wanted from the start, so go after it. Don't short change or limit yourself. Go out more, invest more time in learning about classes you'll have to take.

Regardless if the students have school spirit, the school tends to exemplify its own school spirit and pride. Teachers, if you get a good one, are passionat about what they're teaching and instil inspiration or curiousity in learning. That's cool.

People are clique-y and exclusive. Once a group of 4-10 friends has been made, they're stuck together and wll not branch out. Advising is often not timely or helpful in the way hoped. Besides core required classes (because this is a liberal arts school) many classes required for your major have nothing to do with your major and are a waste of time. Although I am 50% white, my features reflect my other 50%. It seems I am discriminated against based on my looks, thus no one wants to get to know me.

Some are Athletic, Others Bookish; Some Cook, Others Depend upon premade meals; Everyone complains about the cold, (Some Feel it strongly, Others Go without a coat for months); Some Hole up alone, Isolating themselves to study, Others Join friends to do homework; Some love KUST; Some Love the Library, Some love Math and Numbers; Some are Organized and Punctual; Some are Quiet; Some are Stylish, Others Turn away from Trends; All love UST; Some are Vocalists, Some play Wind instruments, A few play Xylophones; Yet the Zenith of all they have in common Is a shared life here at UST.

Best known for what? Now let me see... My first thought would be Business. But wait: it's really Catholic Studies That you absolutely can't miss. The classes are great, And community's A home-away-from-home. Plus, there’s a chance To study for a Semester in beautiful Rome! Why St. Thomas? The reason that many Have heard for miles around Is Catholic Studies: The program that’s worth MN’s long months with snow on the ground.

Appreciate how much time you have. Right now, the idea of fitting anything more into your schedule seems like an absurdity, but a year from now you will be busier than you ever thought possible. Take advantage of this time to sleep and read a book for fun! Hang in there, and relax. It doesn’t seem like you’ll ever be done with college applications, and choosing among all the different schools appears to be a daunting task, but you will finish the applications and the decision will become clear. To avoid oscillating between worry over decisions that you are not yet able to make and excessive anticipation of the college life, do your best to stay in the moment and enjoy the time you have with family and high school friends. For better or for worse, next year will be upon you in no time. P.S. Start packing now!

Ngoc Thoa

The food at my University can get a little more help. It is not teribble, it just not good. There is not enough soup, main course always run out first, do not have the comfort food, etc.

As a high school senior, really try to get the A in AP Macroeconomics. It carries over and you do have ot waste time later. It's true that senior year supposed to be fun and all, but those fun does not carry much over when you are in college. Also, you will not have a lot of scholarships, and you know that your family will not create a fund for your studies, so the safest way is to get a job during the summer, instead of going to the camp to make friends at St. Thomas, though I know you will be the only one from Humboldt to go to St. Thomas. Be more outgoing. People do not bite. Just be yourself, be nice, and enjoy college when you get here. Best regards.

Time management. There is so many fun events on campus, so the focus of going to school can be distracted.

Laura

Moving away from home is hard. I know you have heard how awesome it is to live on campus, and how living in a dorm will help you make connections and feel at home, but that simply isn't the case. There are benefits to being close to campus resources for sure, but living in a dorm setting will be challenging. Meal plans are the worst. Know going in that you will have meals left over. Don't stress about trying to eat three meals a day on campus. It is going to be a blessing to go home on weekends and periodically during the week. Don't muddy that blessing with worrying about how to get through all the meals. You wont. Don't worry about how hard college will be. It is challenging, but understand that you are smart and you can do it. The things you will have to do for class in the fall won't be as hard as trying to find the time to do them. Spend an hour daily this summer working on Spanish. It will make you more confident in class, and will propel you into your major with a firm foundation.

The greatest service The University of St. Thomas offers students, is the opprotunity to develop a lifelong relationship with their professors. Every professor I have had there, regardless of their area of expertise or how engaging their courses were, cares deeply about their students. Having talked with upperclassmen and Tommie alumni, I know that it is a normal occurance to stay in contact with professors long after the course has ended. I know without a doubt that I will stay in touch with several of my professors. They go above and beyond and truly care about their student's lives.

While there are many different types of people who could do well at St. Thomas, I think that diciplined, serious students would thrive academically here. There are wide ranges of courses offer to challenge students intelletually. No matter how smart an individual is, there will always be courses for them to take to increase their wisdom. Students who want to improve academically would do well here. There are fabulous libraries on campus with excellent resourses. With so many other 'fun things' on campus, a student will need to have a focused dedication to their academics to truly thrive.

University of St Thomas-Saint Paul administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.