Saint Paul, MN
University of St Thomas-Saint Paul

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend University of St Thomas-Saint Paul

Grace

Advice To My High School Self I recommend fully taking advantage of all the college readiness programs that high school has to offer. College is a big decision, and putting off applications or pretending there is an infinite amount of time to do them only makes the decision harder. Consider all of the factos that go in to picking a certain college, not just how big of a "party school" a university is. Remember that this school will be your home for the next four years; pick somewhere where you feel you belong. Most importantly, remember that college is not for everyone. If you do not feel ready or want to take a break, by all means do so. There is no use in wasting money somewhere where you will not succeed. Do not feel pressured to go to a four year university just because everyone else is doing so. Do what makes you happy; you will thrive.

Before I had choosen to attend the University of Saint Thomas, I wish I would have put in to perspective how small it is. I really like the school, although sometimes I wish it was a little bit bigger so that I could get to know a larger variety of people.

In my opinion, Saint Thomas is idealy fitted for a person looking to attend a smaller, close-knitted school with small class sizes and a great community feeling.

Melanie

A place where you feel like you have your very own professors 100% invested in your education.

Helpful, smart, hungry to learn.

I would tell myself to take college seriously. Don't "take a break" and assume you will go later. Life will always get in the way. I know you are smart and you will do just fine in life, but remember your dream to achieve your degree and don't give up on it so easily. Finish it before marriage, full time jobs, and kids, it will be so much easier! I know you are so glad to be done with high school, but realize that at college, you will find that you love learning because they enrich your mind, they don't just make you pass the class like in high school. You will soon realize how important it is to keep learning and you'll love it!

Shawn

St. Thomas has lots of school pride and we are all family here.

St. Thomas has lots of school pride and we are all family here.

The worst thing about this school probably would have to be the lunch trays. They took away our trays, so we must make multiple trips between the table and the buffet line in the cafeteria. Having lunch trays made carrying plates and cups a lot easier and more efficient. Now, multiple trips are needed before one can begin eating.

If I could go back to my old self as a high school senior, I would give myself lots of advice. However, one very important piece of advice I would give myself is to take my studies seriously and actually sit down and take the time to know the information. My first year of college was very difficult because in high school, probably like most students, I never studied. I got away with no studying, but I think my GPA would have been much higher in high school if I did actually study. Now, here in college I have learned a lot about myself and I have learned my own personal study habits that I never had in high school. My time so far in college has been a time of self-discovery and I have learned that taking my studies seriously here in school is key to achieving success. So, to summarize, I would have to say that studying and really attempting to know the class material backwards, forwards, and upside down is extremely important to attaining success and going places in this world. Students taking their studies seriously will help them to unlock the secrets of this world.

Lily

Listen to your gut. You always second guess yourself and end up dissapointed. You know what you've wanted from the start, so go after it. Don't short change or limit yourself. Go out more, invest more time in learning about classes you'll have to take.

Regardless if the students have school spirit, the school tends to exemplify its own school spirit and pride. Teachers, if you get a good one, are passionat about what they're teaching and instil inspiration or curiousity in learning. That's cool.

People are clique-y and exclusive. Once a group of 4-10 friends has been made, they're stuck together and wll not branch out. Advising is often not timely or helpful in the way hoped. Besides core required classes (because this is a liberal arts school) many classes required for your major have nothing to do with your major and are a waste of time. Although I am 50% white, my features reflect my other 50%. It seems I am discriminated against based on my looks, thus no one wants to get to know me.

Some are Athletic, Others Bookish; Some Cook, Others Depend upon premade meals; Everyone complains about the cold, (Some Feel it strongly, Others Go without a coat for months); Some Hole up alone, Isolating themselves to study, Others Join friends to do homework; Some love KUST; Some Love the Library, Some love Math and Numbers; Some are Organized and Punctual; Some are Quiet; Some are Stylish, Others Turn away from Trends; All love UST; Some are Vocalists, Some play Wind instruments, A few play Xylophones; Yet the Zenith of all they have in common Is a shared life here at UST.

Best known for what? Now let me see... My first thought would be Business. But wait: it's really Catholic Studies That you absolutely can't miss. The classes are great, And community's A home-away-from-home. Plus, there’s a chance To study for a Semester in beautiful Rome! Why St. Thomas? The reason that many Have heard for miles around Is Catholic Studies: The program that’s worth MN’s long months with snow on the ground.

Appreciate how much time you have. Right now, the idea of fitting anything more into your schedule seems like an absurdity, but a year from now you will be busier than you ever thought possible. Take advantage of this time to sleep and read a book for fun! Hang in there, and relax. It doesn’t seem like you’ll ever be done with college applications, and choosing among all the different schools appears to be a daunting task, but you will finish the applications and the decision will become clear. To avoid oscillating between worry over decisions that you are not yet able to make and excessive anticipation of the college life, do your best to stay in the moment and enjoy the time you have with family and high school friends. For better or for worse, next year will be upon you in no time. P.S. Start packing now!

Ngoc Thoa

The food at my University can get a little more help. It is not teribble, it just not good. There is not enough soup, main course always run out first, do not have the comfort food, etc.

As a high school senior, really try to get the A in AP Macroeconomics. It carries over and you do have ot waste time later. It's true that senior year supposed to be fun and all, but those fun does not carry much over when you are in college. Also, you will not have a lot of scholarships, and you know that your family will not create a fund for your studies, so the safest way is to get a job during the summer, instead of going to the camp to make friends at St. Thomas, though I know you will be the only one from Humboldt to go to St. Thomas. Be more outgoing. People do not bite. Just be yourself, be nice, and enjoy college when you get here. Best regards.

Time management. There is so many fun events on campus, so the focus of going to school can be distracted.

Laura

Moving away from home is hard. I know you have heard how awesome it is to live on campus, and how living in a dorm will help you make connections and feel at home, but that simply isn't the case. There are benefits to being close to campus resources for sure, but living in a dorm setting will be challenging. Meal plans are the worst. Know going in that you will have meals left over. Don't stress about trying to eat three meals a day on campus. It is going to be a blessing to go home on weekends and periodically during the week. Don't muddy that blessing with worrying about how to get through all the meals. You wont. Don't worry about how hard college will be. It is challenging, but understand that you are smart and you can do it. The things you will have to do for class in the fall won't be as hard as trying to find the time to do them. Spend an hour daily this summer working on Spanish. It will make you more confident in class, and will propel you into your major with a firm foundation.

The greatest service The University of St. Thomas offers students, is the opprotunity to develop a lifelong relationship with their professors. Every professor I have had there, regardless of their area of expertise or how engaging their courses were, cares deeply about their students. Having talked with upperclassmen and Tommie alumni, I know that it is a normal occurance to stay in contact with professors long after the course has ended. I know without a doubt that I will stay in touch with several of my professors. They go above and beyond and truly care about their student's lives.

While there are many different types of people who could do well at St. Thomas, I think that diciplined, serious students would thrive academically here. There are wide ranges of courses offer to challenge students intelletually. No matter how smart an individual is, there will always be courses for them to take to increase their wisdom. Students who want to improve academically would do well here. There are fabulous libraries on campus with excellent resourses. With so many other 'fun things' on campus, a student will need to have a focused dedication to their academics to truly thrive.

Marissa

The lack of a student social life. Most people here commute so making friends is not likely unless you happen to live in the same area.

It is okay to be fearful. Whether it's the fear of failure or the anxiety you feel in crowded places. You will fail several times; accept that you made mistakes and learn from them. That anxiety you feel is manufactured. Let yourself be consumed by it. You will realize that you are stronger than you think you are. It is natural to be fearful of seemingly threatening situations. Don't associate it with weakness.

I wouldn't brag about my school at all. It is a community college and provides the necessary classes needed for associates degrees or if you plan to transfer to university. Most people commute so there isn't really a burgeoning social life. It gets you where you want to go and can save you money in the long run.

Abigail

If I could go back and talk to my high school self, I would start off by saying: don't worry about what these people think of you, it never did matter and it never will. There are so many greater things in this world than what some classmates think of you; you probably won't ever see them again anyway. Everyone says the next four years will be the best ones of your life and they are right, but something they don't tell you is they are also the worst four years of your life. High school was hard work, I know, but college is harder and it is okay to be stressed out sometimes and it is okay to cry. Everyone that is here with you is in the exact same boat. They are just as stressed as you and just as scared. It's okay to be scared and it's okay to struggle in college but you don't have to do it alone. There are so many people out there that are willing to help you. You will find your closest friends in college and build lifelong relationships. College will change your life.

The worst thing about my school is the amount of cliques that are here. I know it's something that happens everywhere but it seems a lot like high school because of how cliquey this school is. I would say if anyone can avoid the cliques then St. Thomas would be the best school ever!

Somebody should attend the University of St. Thomas if they are looking for a great job someday. I think St. Thomas has wonderful connections and so many opportunities for all of their students. If somebody wants to have a job after they graduate college then St. Thomas is a wonderful school to consider.

My classmates are strong and independent students who strive to be the best they can be, no matter what the final grade turns out to be.

There are two main things St Thomas is known for. The first is the school of business. We are known to prepare students to become successful leaders in a business setting. In addition, St Thomas is known for is producing well-rounded student, no matter what their major. This is attributed to our heavy core curriculum, and it gives companies confidence in our graduates' abilities to look beyond the subject matter they studied.

As a high school senior, there were many things I would have liked to have heard from my future self. The first piece of advice I would give to the high school me is to do your best and accept whatever the outcome may be. Life is hard enough as it is, so don't let yourself get caught up in final grade on your transcripts. While it is important to do your best, your worth does not come from your grades. They absolutely do not define you. As a person, you are defined by the effort you put into any given situation, not the results themselves. While this doesn't always apply to your worth to a company or a school, it will always apply to you in your personhood. In addition to this, the number on piece of advice I would give to my former self is to be yourself in every situation. Don't let yourself be controlled by your past and who others have tried to make you be. You are you, and you have the ability to show that to everyone you meet.

University of St Thomas-Saint Paul administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.