Saint Paul, MN
University of St Thomas-Saint Paul

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend University of St Thomas-Saint Paul

Perrin

Walking to class on cold winter days. Although, they did cancel J term classes this month due to dangerously cold temperatures.

I was right to take all of the higher level and prep classes. They were a good preparation for college.

Jacob

If I could go back in time and talk to myself as a senior, I would reassure my younger self about his worries about college. At the end of my high school career, I was very worried about going to college. I wasn't sure what school to go to and I had no idea what to major in. Even after deciding to go to the University of St. Thomas I was still scared to go to college. My fear of leaving home and nervousness over whether I chose the right college continued up until the day that I moved into my dorm. But I would be glad to tell my younger self that there is nothing to worry about. The University of St. Thomas is the right choice of college for me. I have had a great time since I have been at school, and I know I will continue to. My classes are great and I have a fun social life. I still have not decided on a major but I now have ideas unlike in high school. So to sum it up I would tell my youngers self to not worry, it all works out.

First, I wish that I had know that going to the University of St. Thomas was going to be amazing. I was very worried about college in High School, and didn't know what to expect. Now that I am in College I have had a great time and really enjoyed my classes. Second, I wish I would have looked more into careers, because even to this day I am and undecided student. Knowing my major would have been very useful and made things easier for me. As it is I'm still trying to decide my major.

Out of all of my friends I am going to the best school by far. University of St. Thomas is one of the best University's in the whole state. So far my classes have been great, and I have learned alot. Also compared to most of my friends, who aren't really enjoying their college's social life, I am having a great time. I have met many interesting people and done many interesting activities. Overall I feel my school is really great.

I think the biggest thing is the cost. College is expensive.

I think the biggest thing is the cost. College is expensive.

I think anyone looking for a quality education in the Twin Cities should attend St. Thomas. But they should be aware that it is expensive and not very diverse.

I would tell myself so many things. First, apply for every scholarship that even remotely applies to you. I am kicking myself now for not doing that more. Second, carefully consider your values. I shared a lot of the same values as St. Thomas, particularly religious, but my goal was to study abroad and I did not plan ahead carefully or consider that value when I was choosing a college. Now, I am in limbo with my study abroad options due to timing and costs. Thirdly, I would tell myself to NOT date that boy in high school and wait until college to date. (He's only going to hold you back and cause a lot of tears and frustration!) Fourth, I would tell myself to lighten up. The biggest lesson I've learned in college is to not take myself so seriously. I was so serious about everything in high school and it led to a lot of stress and anxiety. I would tell myself to choose joy, because life is too short not to be happy and have fun. Finally, I would tell myself that everything is going to be okay.

The students at St. Thomas are smart and generally from upper-middle class families.

Treasure your last summer living at home before college starts. Your parents will miss you and they deserve your presence for the last few months, mentally and physically. Don't stress too much about making friends. Attend on-campus activities set up for freshmen and remember to let yourself take breaks from the social atmosphere. Whether or not your roommate is a good friend, you should stay on good terms with them in the duration you are living with them. Remember to call your parents and siblings. Stay in contact with your high school friends too, even if it is only once every few weeks. Its healthy to maintain old relationships and sometimes they can get lost amidts the new.

St. Thomas is like a big family. It's hard to walk through campus without seeing someone you know. It's big enough where you don't feel surrounded by the same people all the time, but small enough where you feel comfortable and at home.

Jayme

If I could go back in time, I would tell high-school-Jayme to take as many AP, PSEO, S2S classes as possible. I am currently undecided, so not knowing what I want to do puts a tremendous amount of pressure on me. I brought 16 credits with me to college and I'm still freaking out wondering if I will graduate in four years! I can't really afford an extra year of college, so time is of the essence. My advice, "if you see an opportunity, take it." I missed out on so many opportunities in high school because I did not want to put in the time or effort. Knowing now how important it is to graduate in four years, I would tell myself that if I put in the work now, it will pay off later. I did not fully understand that life lesson until now. If I could go back, I would not waste time. I know now that every credit helps.

The worst thing about St Thomas is the old dorms. I live in Dowling Hall, which was built in 1958. It used to be an all boys dorm, but now its all girls. We still have urinals in our bathroom! The building makes creaking noises and we've had some trouble with the water pipes this year. Plus, there's no air-conditioning! It's an old building.

St Thomas is a great school for networking. Our alumni are very involved with the school, and it is much easier to find a job (around the Twin Cities/Minnesota area) after college once receiving your degree. St Thomas alumni are very generous to our school. Our new student center and recreation facility were recently funded by some very generous alumni. The University of St Thomas has a beautiful campus and countless connections. I can't see myself anywhere else.

Vong

My classmates are friendly; they are more than welcome to help me when I need help and they are multicultural.

If I could go back in time and talk to myself as a high school senior, I would told myself to do more readings and learn to manage my time. From my college experiences, I learned that reading and time management are the most important. Almost all of college courses required reading. In college, I always dream to participate in all of the events that are going on in campus. Unfortunately, it was not easy as I thought. I have homework, readings, and study. Therefore, time management seems difficult to me. General speaking, reading and time management are my advices. I wish that someone would give me these advices; the early I start the more prepare I will be for college.

One of my favorite things about University of St. Thomas is the small class room size. It allows me to have the most attention from my professors. I also get to know classmates much easier. Last but not least, professors get to know you better and quicker because there are so few students in the class room.

Margaret

St. Thomas is a beyond welcoming environment where students can strive to be their best.

The best advice that I could give my high school self is to be as outgoing as possible and step out of your comfort zone. I have made a lot of friends by meeting girls on my floor, but I still could have branched out a lot more. I have not met many people that live outside of my dorm, and I wish I would have been more outgoing in the beginning. I also wish I would have stepped out of my comfort zone with my new friends. I still have some of the same beliefs as I did in high school, which isn't necessarily a bad thing. However, I have missed out on trying new things and having new opportunities because I did not step out of my comfort zone. I let my high school self take over and I missed out on some great, new experiences because of it. The last piece of advice is to go into every situation with an open mind; try your best to not be judgemental. Everybody has different opinions and interests, so it is in your best interest to give them a chance and to let them show their true self.

I wish that I would have known exactly what I wanted to major in when I came to St. Thomas. I thought I had wanted to do an Education major, but then I decided against it. Now, I am undecided and do not know what I want to major in. I am, however, grateful that St. Thomas has an amazing Career Development office to help me figure out what I want to do in life.

The unique thing about Saint Thomas is that it has a sense of community that I didn't think I would find anywhere else. I had only heard great reviews from the school and I decided that this was a good investment to make into my future regardless of the cost because it is a private universtiy.

Advice that I would give to myself in high school is that it's not mean to say no. I had such a problem with being so passive and too nice that I couldn't say no to people. When I got to college I was tested the very first day when my roommate had been super assertive. I stood up for myself for the first time and I told her I didn't want to be involved in whatever she was doing. My resident advisor asked her to move out the second day of school and it started with me simply saying no. I would say that it is a good skill to have to be able to take a stand and say what you want. I would make sure I emphasis that it isn't being mean and that it's something that needs to be said once in a while.

The worst thing about my school is that it is assumed that everyone who attends is wealthy. I am there on a scholarship anad I hear a lot of the time that we need to help people that are in harsher conditions and fincially burdend. I agree that we should help everyone in need but there are also people with need present in the classrooms.

Claire

You are a joy—it would be a shame to cover that up. Decide to believe that and to rest in the truth that you are dearly loved. Choose to live into your deep passions and let those visions come into focus naturally. Trust your intuition. Believe that if you are meant to be somewhere, you will get there. When something does not settle well within your spirit, it’s time to move on or make a change. Process the things that are challenging and hurtful—there is so much to be learned. Close friendships are so important; keep the ones that understand you. Remember to give enough space and thought to your soul, for it’s what really matters. You have a very important part to play in the world—no one else can do what you are meant to do. Don’t compare your path to another, for comparison is the thief of joy. Keep dreaming, for a life without dreams is colorless. Live engaged and in abandon, and shine the radiant light inside of you.

I wish I had known how important it is to make friends right away who hold the same values as me. It is so easy to get sucked into drinking/partying with people who don't necessarily care about your heart.

I think the best thing about my school is the

As a current college freshman, I would give my high school senior self a few pieces of advice. My first piece of advice would be to always make sure you're staying on track (or sometimes even getting ahead) with your school work. It really helps a lot and it assists in avoiding many potentially stressful situations. Secondly, I would tell myself to not be afraid to branch out, and to talk to new people. In high school I had a specific group of friends. Although I talked to people outside of my friend group, I really wish I would've made more friends outside of my friend group. The reason for this is that you never know who you're going to meet and how they can positvely change you as a person. Lastly, I would tell my high school senior self to enjoy the ride! These are the best years of our lives, so we don't just want to waste them. Meet new people, smile and laugh often, give compliments, and never degrade yourself or others.

Someone who likes a smaller educational environment would absolutely love St. Thomas! The campus isn't too big, yet it isn't too small- it's definitely the perfect size for me. The class sizes are also really nice because you get to know your professors personally and vice versa. Also, if you are someone who wants to be near a bigger city, but want a nice, home-like atmosphere, then the University of St. Thomas is for you!

To be completely honest, I can;t really think of anything off hand that I wish I would've known before coming here to St. Thomas. All I know is that I really like it here, and I'm glad I made the decision to attend this university!

University of St Thomas-Saint Paul administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.