Saint Paul, MN
University of St Thomas-Saint Paul

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend University of St Thomas-Saint Paul

It is a catholic based school but only half the students are actually catolic, it is a school of about 10,000 undergraduate students and it is known for Business.

My classmates are very smart and take school seriously, not too many students get C's in their classes, and it is also quite competitive as well.

If I could go back in time I would do PSEO, which is when high school seniors can go to a community college and take classes for free and get a jump start on college. Not only is it free for the students, the students can earn college credit and end up being ahead of most college freshman when going into their freshman year of college. I also would discipline myself on being better with procrastination. In college things tend to build up fast if you wait for the last minute to do assignments. Reading is also a big difference in college, in every class their is reading to do and if you don't do it you are behind because there is usually a discussion or quiz that comes along with it. Looking at the big picture, I feel I did a good job by preparing myself for college. I wasn't one of those high school seniors that slacked off their last year. College is tough but if a student stays on top of things and commit themselves, they will find success.

Joe

Smaller class sizes. Great interaction with professors.

Smaller class sizes. Great interaction with professors.

Don't worry so much about choosing a degree before you attend college. You will have the opportunity to speak with academic advisors about what is best for you. Find ways to improve my note taking skills. Become familiar with the library, because you will spend a great deal of time there. Practice reading skills, as well as understanding what you have read. Apply for more financial aid than you really need. Odds are you will not receive all that you apply for, so the more the better.

I think the Catholic Studies Department is unique, it is the first Catholic Studies Department in the country. The community that is formed within this department is amazing. I am challenged daily in my classes. I am a Catholic Studies major and a Psychology minor. I am challenged to seek the truth in all of my classes. The teacher's within the Catholic Studies department, want to challenge you, and help you to learn. I know that when I graduate I will walk away with an excellent education.

If I could go back in time and talk to myself as a high school senior, I would say, "Get ready for a wonderful experience and education ahead of you!" I would say; study hard, get involved in an extra-curricular activity or activities that interest(s) you, don't just go to class but engage with other students and your professor and ask questions, be prepared to be challenged. Constantly seek the truth in your classrooms, and listen to other's opinions and seek the truth together. I would not say much more than that, because I think college is an adventure, where one has to grow, learn and be challenged. It is where you learn who you are, and a place where you have the opportunity to be a part of a rich community. The people of this community become your friends and challenge you to become a better person. But, if I said much more, than I would know everything that was going to happen in college. I would simply say as a wonderful person that I look up to, Pope John Paul II, once said, "Be not afraid" of the adventure that awaits you!

I would have to say, personally, it would be the tuition. The financial aid is very helpful. But, coming into college with very little money, I know that I will walk away with loans. The education that I have recieved, and the personal growth that I have had is worth the money and if I had to decide again if I was coming to St. Thomas I would apply all over again.

Andrew

I would have signed up for more accelerated math courses, and in all classes I would reccommend reading straight out of the book much more often.

My school is catholic and every professor has at least a doctorate in their field, which is advantageous because they are also great at relating the course to us. There are also many activities everyday at a smaller school resulting in knowing a larger percent of your classmates.

We have a workout facility being built for the next academic year that cost about $70 million dollars, and it contains a state of the art swimming pool and weight lifting area.

Travis

Go out and meet more people, join clubs and get involved right away. There are many ways to have fun and meet people other than parties. Party less and focus on school more. Spend more time in the library and study rooms. Dont waste time at parties or playing video games. Do not procrastinate and work ahead.

Stereotyped as snoby rich kids, which is true for some of us but not all. Also are school sayd how diverse we are, but we are not at all.

Kris

I think I would tell myself to try and be really open to the college experience and try to get involved as much as possible. I'm a very quiet person, so I didn't really speak up much when I started college and didn't do many extra-curricular activities. So I would tell myself that it would be good to start getting involved and meeting as many new people as possible during that first year. I would also tell myself to continue to work hard and take more initiative for learning in classes. College has been much tougher than high school, but there is also more time to study and work through problems on my own. I sometimes may need to visit a professor in order to fully understand some material. In college, it is up to you to take this initiative, so I would let myself know this. Finally, I'd advise myself to really get to know the people in my major so that I can ask them questions and work together with them. It also makes classes and studying a lot more fun and productive.

Having smaller classes and being in a smaller environment but still being able to do my major of engineering. I like the part of the city that my school is in and the campus. The people here are nice and easy to get along with.

That the school keeps growing so class sizes are starting to increase. Also, it's very expensive to go here and they could give out more financial aid. They need more affordable on-campus living and more upper-class options as well.

Nick

Assuming time travel was possible, I would warn myself that I really need to study calculus a lot more than I did. I will need that knowledge to be almost common sense by the time I take calculus 2 in the fall. In addition, I would tell myself to fill out as many scholarships as possible because I will end up poorer than I thought after buying books and supplies. In addition to academic life, I would tell myself about social life in college. I would tell myself not to be so nervous because St. Thomas is full of friendly people and fun events. I would also mention that within the first week, I will realize that everyone else is in the same boat as I am and that I should be open and socially active as soon as I get to college.

St. Thomas is an excellent school. However, everything has a downside, and St. Thomas' downfall is its insanely high tuition. For one year at St. Thomas, the average cost per student is about $42,000. St. Thomas does offer a very large academic scholarship, but the cost is still quite large compared to most schools. I would not recommend St. Thomas for a student who is not fairly well off financially.

I feel that a prospective St. Thomas student should be a hard working and social person. The classes are tough if one does not manage his time wisely, but work is only half of the experience. Almost everyone at St. Thomas is outgoing and friendly. Also, if a prospective student is looking to study abroad, we have one of the best study abroad programs in the nation, so there are many opportunities for one to travel the world and expand his horizons.

Knowing what I know now, as far as the expectations people have for college students, I would tell my high school senior-self to make clear-cut and concise goals for myself. It's one thing to know you "want" success, but to actually list what you will do in order to attain it, makes the journey a lot less complicated. I would also tell myself to start out strong, so it makes it a lot bearable to finish the academic journey strong. Lastly, I would tell myself to be involved in a variety of activities, versus joining the same types of groups (ie. joining all sports groups, or all minority-themed organizations) so that I can be exposed to different people, ideas and ways of life.

How to manage my time better and to not get too overwhelmed all of the time.

Erin

St. Thomas is committed to creating well rounded students.

St. Thomas is committed to creating well rounded students.

Joining many clubs and organizations is a really great way to get to know people. Since you can join clubs with people who have common intrests, it's a great way to find more people to hang out with. I would also tell myself that studying more is worth it. Having a social life is not nearly as important as putting forth the effort to get good grades. I would also say that I should be open minded and not let people's expectations of me define how I act, nor should I judge other people in the same way.

There are many different things for us to do at St. Thomas, such as Varsity and Intramural sports, clubs, organizations, sporting events, etc.

Patrick

St Thomas is a great school that offers a excellent education.

St Thomas is a great school that offers a excellent education.

College is a blast. Stay on task with your studies and get a good night's rest.

Some one who keeps up with their school work and studies hard would fit in well at St Thomas.

University of St Thomas-Saint Paul administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.