Saint Paul, MN
University of St Thomas-Saint Paul

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend University of St Thomas-Saint Paul

Alison

Get involved! Get to know people besides your roommates! You are going to meet your best friends in these clubs! Don't forget to take deep breaths and LIVE!

The location is great! We have our own little community that is right in the heart of the city. Which makes it great and flexible for any type of student. There are many small buisnesses surrounding the campus that students get involvled with.

Any type of person can attend St.Thomas. We area very versatile and open to all sorts of students. We have students from over 25 countries and we are a liberal school. A student who wants to get involved is a perfect type. We have over 100 clubs to get involved with. For example, I am on the Green Team, Eastern European Club, and Global Minded Student Assosiation as well as being a Tommie Ambassador!

Hillary

To look at colleges early and not to think about where your friends are going but what fits best for you!

The small class sizes allow for an easy was for professors to know the students and help them with any problems they have. The location is also one that is very convient and a lot to do around the cities.

My friends that I have made here, or the location.

Courtney

If I was able to go back in time I would tell myself the following: College is a big transition from highschool, to prepare for the workload of college it is important to start reading the textbook material along with lectures, even if not assigned. This simple trick will help you get into the habit of reading every day. Another hint is to choose your first semester classes with knowledge of what you are signing up for, so if you have any questions make sure to request someone to sit down and talk with you about your options. Switching from the academic aspect to the social aspect of college I would suggest that you remain at college for the first few months without going home. This will allow you to get out and make new friends and become involved with the St.Thomas community. You will have fun, college is a great balance between learning and experiencing new things.

When I talk about my school I tell my friends about our beautiful architecture, how peaceful it is to walk around campus, the small class sizes, how i know all of my professors and they know who I am, and lastly I tell them about all of the great people I have meet here! These few things don't even begin to describe all of the things I love at being at University of St.Thomas.

I do not like the meal plan that I had to buy to live in the dorm. I don't eat that many meals at the cafe, but this you would find at any school. UST is great no big complaints!

Zachary

St. Thomas creates a culture among faculty, students and staff that recognizes the power of ideas and rewards rigorous thinking while actively engaging Catholic intellectual tradition.

My classmates are free to expand their learning and share their thoughts in an open enviornment.

I would tell myself to take school more seriously. The transition to college would have been easier if I had a more positive attitude towards school and had a heavier workload during my senior year.

Dominic

Active and engaged are the students here.

Active and engaged are the students here.

I would advise myself to be more excited to attend this university. I would say your mind and world view will be expanded, and moving 540 miles away from home will be a great experience. Not only is their more fun in this city, professional sporting events, restaurants, and more, but your opportunities to serve are much more diverse. You can work with disadvantged youth, senior citizens, or grade schoolers. The knowledge from classes will make you a more refined individual, and associating with those who may not agree with your views will be enriching for all. Also, don't worry about not knowing any one at this school. You will make friends from all over the country, and even from other countries. Be prepared to work hard and have fun. Leave your preconceived notions of others behind, and be ready to have an open mind, and at the same time, bring your knowledge back to where you came from.

Beautifil location in a beautiful city.

Alisha

The hardest part of my transition into college was learning how to study for classes and not being able to assume the tests would be easy. Get involved in school activities and worry less about grades. Enjoy your time with friends and build strong relationships with people. Stay true to yourself.

Someone who isn't ready to work for the degree. Its a challenging school and strives to make their students the best.

Getting into classes and still maintaining small class sizes in major field courses.

Sara

My school is a Catholic private school that is known for its excellent academic reputations, especially in the field of psychology.

I would definitely tell myself that college life is very hard, much harder than high school. In college, professors will pile the work on you and will not care how much you have already. In high school, there are plenty of second chances. But in college you only have one chance to get a good grade and if you blow it, you are in trouble. I would tell myself to plan social events and homework better, put it on a schedule. I would tell myself to be more social, to take more risks with other people and just talk to others in order to make friends. At the same time, I would tell myself not to rush everything. You've got four years ahead of you, take it slowly. Balancing too many activities and homework generates a lot of stress. Finally, I would tell myself to have fun. It is imperative to get work done, but you have to leave yourself some time to relax and truly enjoy college.

I wish I would have known how hard it was going to be making friends and being a commuter student.

Nicholas

A univeristy with a faith base but plenty of opporutnities for secular involvement and a university that has the best of both big univeristy amenities and the close bond felt in small colleges.

Apply for any programs even if you don't think you will get it, there is no harm in trying. There are programs out there that are amazing and can make the transition to college easier and more beneficial. Don't be afraid to let go and build a new idenity and meet new people becuase they make the experience more interesting and meaningful. If you sit in your dorm room and play videogames or watch tv and don't get out, you will look back wondering what you missed becuase there is so much out there in college.

A person interested in attending a smaller school that is catholic while still retaining the experience of being in a big city. A person interested in building closer relationships but still looking for some aninimoity; a person that is looking for a college that is concerned about student saftey.

Erika

There is a really lively Catholic community here if you want it, but it's not shoved down your throat if you aren't interested. The location is also really nice. St. Paul is a great city with lots to do, and so is Minneapolis which is nearby. The campus is very picturesque and right on the Mississippi River.

Choosing a college was a frightening task for me. In high school I knew nothing about the college experience, and before I knew it I was expected to make a heavy decision that would affect my entire future. I didn't know what to look for in a potential college or how to choose a place that fit my personality. My only criteria were that I wanted to stay near home and I wanted a private school. My ultimate decision was based upon the amount of financial aid offered; I was lucky the school I chose happened to offer opportunities important to me such as music, a study abroad program, and a good faculty in my major field of biology. If I could go back to my senior year of high school I would do things differently. The best advice I could give is to start researching early. I would start before my senior year, visiting as may schools as possible and making use of my career counselors to gather information. That way I could have made a firmly grounded decision instead of a shot in the dark. Choosing a college is something that shouldn't be left to chance.

Since this is a private school, some departments such as music, theater and even biology (which is relatively new here) take a backseat to more popular departments such as business and education. So unless you are a business or education major, your classes might possibly be in the older buildings on campus and your major program will get less money and have fewer people in it. Other issues: the spanish language program here is so-so, on campus parking is limited and expensive, and there are lots of general requirements such as 2 philosophy and 3 theology courses.

Kirk

To be open to more things. Coming to college I tried sticking to my old friends to much and wasn't able to find new friends here at school. It took me a year or so to be comfortable with my new friends at school. When sticking to old ways you miss what is new and great in your life.

It was a smaller school. This school offered d3 sports, so I had to decided whether I wanted to keep doing sports or not, but deciding to keep doing sports in college was the best decision I could of made.

A person that is willing to learn and meet new people. People here tend to be outgoing andlooking for fun. A person coming here should not try to hide from other people

University of St Thomas-Saint Paul administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.