Saint Paul, MN
University of St Thomas-Saint Paul

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend University of St Thomas-Saint Paul

Grace

Typical middle to upper-class kids who like normal college activities, and most of them work for their grades.

I would tell myself to relax more and enjoy myself. I was so stressed about the whole process and worried that I would not do well in school. I was worried my classes would be too hard and that I would not make friends. Freshman year I mainly worried about my studies and did not try to have a social life. It was hard balancing work, my studies, and trying to make new friends. I would say make more time for friends. There is always time to study and that extra hour that could have been spent making new friends at dinner rather than studying, won't really make much of a difference with my test score. I would tell myself to get more involved as a freshman, because being involved on campus makes you feel more connected and happy with your school. The main thing I would tell myself is to just go with the flow, work hard, and have faith that everything will be alright. Because in the end, my freshman year was one of the best years of my life... and I worried for nothing.

St. Thomas provides great opportunities to its students. There are so many options for internships, campus involvement, community involvement, athletics, and the study abroad programs here are amazing. St. Thomas provides students with the opportunity to explore their faith as well. I love how the professors here see you as a person and not just a number on a 500 person roster. They truly care about you and want you to succeed not only in their class, but in life as well. You don't get that at many schools.

Fahma

For its academics which is high standard base since its a private school and alumni.

If I could go back to being a high school senior, I would make sure that I prepared myself for college in general. I would advice myself to stay on top of my homework when I got to college because once you are behind, it is very difficult and time consuming to play catch up. I would also advice myself to get the best out of my last year in high school by engaging in activities that could potentially help me in college, such as taking leadership roles. In general, I would advice myself to enjoy my last year in high school because once those days are gone, they are gone forever and college is a whole different world.

Students who really want to learn and get into good professions.

Julia

College is really not as stressful and you think. Join a club that interests you right away, and just get involved.

It's in the city, but I doesn't feel like it. The campus is beautiful, and the people are so friendly and helpful.

Someone who doesn't care about their future/ academics.

Morgan

I would tell myself to look at all of the classes and extra-curricular activities offered at the colleges I am looking at. I transferred to the University of St.Thomas from a university that did not offer everything I was hoping for. I would remind my high school self that I am overly involved and that it is important to me to do the same in college. I also would advice myself to meet with faculty members and students at a few of the universities to get a better idea about what the environment is like. Also, I think the best advice I would give myself is to not be afraid! Go into college with an open mind and don't worry if you don't love it. You CAN transfer and find a place that does make you happy. I transferred and found a college, the University of St.Thomas that makes me HAPPY and where I enjoy getting up every morning to go to class and to attend my extra-curricular events.

I brag about all the different kinds of activities and ways to get involved on campus. I tell my friends about our small class sizes and our wonderful faculty and staff members. I often express how beautiful and spectacular the campus is. Also, I always remember to mention every student holds the door for the next student, regardless of how far away they are. Our campus does a wonderful job creating a safe, positive, fun environment to live and learn on.

I really CANNOT say one negative thing about the University of St.Thomas. I love it and think it's a great place for a wide range of diverse and unique students.

Grace

St. Thomas is best known for being a private institution greatly heaped in tradition. Alumni have a great community and are eager to welcome recent grads into their circle, usually helping in careers. Because of their tutition rates on the higher end of the spectrum, many upper middle class and upper class students attend. A majority of students choose to major in business, pre-med, or communication fields.

Freshman year was different than what I was expecting mostly because I had never really heard about how it takes awhile to get aquanted with the new surroundings, people, and classes. That first month or so is rough, whether you go to the same school as your best friend or not. Everyone is trying to find their place while still keeping their identity. There's so much pressure to adapt quickly and see college as the greatest time of your life, but it's not something you can force, nor does it just suddenly happen. Yet, when you do finally find your niche, you appreciate it even more! Also, you don't have to be best friends with your roommate and if, by chance, you don't get along at all, it'll only make you get out and make other friends on your floor and you'll have a great horror story for your kids one day!

St. Thomas has many reputations, but what I most love is the great sense of community. Coming from a very small high school, I was relieved to not just be a number in my college classes. My professors go out of their way to memorize everyone's face to their name and will usually give out their home phone numbers. The classes usually consist of about 20 students and are never taught by a teacher's assistant. On campus, you are certain to see a familiar face to wave hello to. We are a small community in a big city.

Maureen

The best piece of advice that I can give is to not stress too much about finding the perfect college. What's really important is what you do when you get there. Don't sit in your room and expect people to come to you. If you're not putting yourself out there, you're not going to make any friends. Join a club or activity, talk to the people in your classes, or ask people to go to dinner with you. I would also tell new students to remember that everyone is in the same situation you are, so don't be afraid to talk to new people. Also, don't let yourself belive that anyone else is better than you. Some kids may act like the world revolves around them- it doesn't. On the other side, don't think that you're above other people. If you act like you're too good, no one will want to be around you. So, upon starting a new year, don't be scared. Be excited! You get to make new friends and go new places. Just remember to stay open to all those wonderful, new experiences.

Matt

I would reccomend experiencing a variety of colleges first-hand. Actually going out and seeing the college of choice is the most fundamentally sound decision possible.

My school is almost too small at times. A lot of the time, I feel like I am in High School.

My school is small and this allows for solid one-one attention from professors.

Craig

My greatest suggestion that I could make to parents of future students looking for a university or college is to ignore money issues for now. Pick the school that will have the best otucome for your self or schild. Yes money is very important, but there are ways to recieve financial aid whether it be from FAFSA, scholarships, or Loans. Growing up, I never had money, and I still do not have any. I choose a school that had a tuition of $40,000 a year which me and my family could not afford at all. Thankfully, I was able to receive grants and scholarships that enabled me to attend University of St. Thomas. I am glad I choose this school without regards to the cost because I do not believe I could get any better treatment from the professors here than anywhere else. So I advise you once again, please look past the bill that you will receive and worry more about what you want out of life.

The kind of person that should not attend this school is the person that thinks they can BS their way through life. You will only get so far in life that way and you will just end up wasting LOTS of money. You need to be open minded to the ideas of the School and you need to be able to work hard when that time arrives.

Blake

A warm and welcoming place where there is a mix of different ideas and backgrounds.

College is a time to grow and experience new things. As you travel on your journey it is prudent that you make your experience one that you will forever remember. While you must study hard it is imperative to make friends and social connections as these may eventually serve as means for employment. Above all work hard to find people, and things, which challenge your personal beliefs, as it is with these challenges that we are strengthened. "If a man empties his purse into his head no one can take it from him. An investment in knowledge always pays the best interest." ~Benjamin Franklin.

I guess to me the most frustrating thing is that despite the overwhelming feeling of being welcomed there is still problems with discrimination. It is difficult to feel accepted in a comunity where some of the professors are openly prejudice against G.L.B.T. students.

Lindsey

UST has the best community. You will walk down the sidewalk and see a ton of people you know - but many that you have never seen too. Students take pride in the school and alumni donate regularly. I am super jealous that there will be two brand new state-of-the-art buildings/facilities for students in the next few years. St. Thomas offers a ton of programs and I would definitely suggest taking advantage of STUDY ABROAD!!! I loved this school... and met my lifelong friends.

DIVERSE! definitely 50/50 guys to girls. I met my boyfriend of 2 years at UST. There are a lot of things to get involved in too - and the food is AWESOME! (which you don't hear much I'm sure)

*GO TO UST* Everyone that I know LOVED it there. You feel safe and like you are working toward something. You're definitely not a number at UST at all. AND THEY SET YOU UP WITH AMAZING WORK OPPORTUNITIES WHEN YOUR DONE! *Myself and my friends all have jobs even after JUST graduating.... THANKS UST!

No! There's actually a ton of diversity on campus! And UST is located within St. Paul which has a ton of diversity itself. Also - I know for a fact that over 80% of students get some kind of aid - so they are not all rich kids. I had a lot of scholarships and grants, and I also took out a loan for my last year. After all that still - I have less debt than a lot of my friends that went to state school.s

Profs for sure know your name. My maximum class size was 15 students - and in my only 2 science lectures I had 80 that then split into labs that were only 15 students/class. I met w/ my professors a lot and they gave me a TON of real-world knowledge. Classes are hugely discussion-based and really interesting. I learned a lot more this way than I ever would have just by reading a textbook or sitting in the back of a huge classroom of 30+ students taking notes on slides. AND *Even in this tough economy - myself and nearly all of my UST friends are happily employed after 2 months of being out!

Dorms are really big I remember... I met amazing people at UST on campus my freshman year. Athletics are really fun and there's always something to do on campus. Nice thing is, UST is in the city so there are ALWAYS things to do! **PLUS** if you're thinking long-term, because it's in the city - there are a lot of internship and job opportunities post-college! Weekends are a lot of fun - I lived close to UST but never went home and neither did my friends. We went to parties and get-togethers off campus too. Lots of students live in the houses just around the 5 block radius of campus so it makes it really easy to get to and from class. I lived off-campus my Junior and Senior year and still stayed on campus a lot for events... such as Sara Bareilles (sp?), Dashboard Confessional & Plain White Tee's concerts!!!

University of St Thomas-Saint Paul administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.