Saint Paul, MN
University of St Thomas-Saint Paul

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend University of St Thomas-Saint Paul

Lindsey

UST has the best community. You will walk down the sidewalk and see a ton of people you know - but many that you have never seen too. Students take pride in the school and alumni donate regularly. I am super jealous that there will be two brand new state-of-the-art buildings/facilities for students in the next few years. St. Thomas offers a ton of programs and I would definitely suggest taking advantage of STUDY ABROAD!!! I loved this school... and met my lifelong friends.

DIVERSE! definitely 50/50 guys to girls. I met my boyfriend of 2 years at UST. There are a lot of things to get involved in too - and the food is AWESOME! (which you don't hear much I'm sure)

*GO TO UST* Everyone that I know LOVED it there. You feel safe and like you are working toward something. You're definitely not a number at UST at all. AND THEY SET YOU UP WITH AMAZING WORK OPPORTUNITIES WHEN YOUR DONE! *Myself and my friends all have jobs even after JUST graduating.... THANKS UST!

No! There's actually a ton of diversity on campus! And UST is located within St. Paul which has a ton of diversity itself. Also - I know for a fact that over 80% of students get some kind of aid - so they are not all rich kids. I had a lot of scholarships and grants, and I also took out a loan for my last year. After all that still - I have less debt than a lot of my friends that went to state school.s

Profs for sure know your name. My maximum class size was 15 students - and in my only 2 science lectures I had 80 that then split into labs that were only 15 students/class. I met w/ my professors a lot and they gave me a TON of real-world knowledge. Classes are hugely discussion-based and really interesting. I learned a lot more this way than I ever would have just by reading a textbook or sitting in the back of a huge classroom of 30+ students taking notes on slides. AND *Even in this tough economy - myself and nearly all of my UST friends are happily employed after 2 months of being out!

Dorms are really big I remember... I met amazing people at UST on campus my freshman year. Athletics are really fun and there's always something to do on campus. Nice thing is, UST is in the city so there are ALWAYS things to do! **PLUS** if you're thinking long-term, because it's in the city - there are a lot of internship and job opportunities post-college! Weekends are a lot of fun - I lived close to UST but never went home and neither did my friends. We went to parties and get-togethers off campus too. Lots of students live in the houses just around the 5 block radius of campus so it makes it really easy to get to and from class. I lived off-campus my Junior and Senior year and still stayed on campus a lot for events... such as Sara Bareilles (sp?), Dashboard Confessional & Plain White Tee's concerts!!!

Rather than worrying about the wishes and needs of the parents, both parents and students should base their college decisions on the concerns of the student. A good, successful college experience is dependent upon how happy and comfortable the student feels on campus, in class, and among his or her peers and faculty on campus. Another great concern when choosing a college is the availability and quality of potential degrees and fields of interest as well as extracurricular activities that the student may potential be interested in joining. Class sizes at the college or university of interest should also be a major concern; some students excel only in small classrooms, where the professor can put more time into assisting his or her students, where as many other students do just fine or better when in big classrooms. Once the student is attending their college of choice I highly recommend that within the first few days of classes he or she gets the contact information of fellow students and arranges study groups for each class. Study groups are a great way to meet people who share one's same interests and they also help students excel.

Someone who is going to attend this school should be well prepared for challenge and academic competition. A person who is environmentally conscious would also fit into this campus very well.

A person who is lazy and not concerned with their academic status should not attend this university, because there is a high amount of competition in every class and one would be unsuccessful if they tried to simply "slide by". Those who do not put much effort into their studies are frowned upon by both students and faculty, because the campus is serious about academics.

Chris

I would recommend that both students and parents visit a prospective school at least once before making a final decision if that school is the right college. By visiting the school, the student is able to get a feel for what campus life and classes are like. In addition, students can inquire about the programs and activities offered and whether the school offers the student's intended field of study. Third, when visiting a school, the student can also check out the dormitories provided to students and get information about alternative living arrangements if desired. In order to make the most of the college experience, it is important to get involved in clubs and activities that are interesting and fun. Also, some residence halls hold monthly get-togethers for the entire hall or particular floors which can be great times to meet other students that live in the same dormitory. By balancing both school work and a social life, a student can make the most of his or her college experience. So my advice is to get involved and stay active throughout your college career.

The best thing about the University of St. Thomas is the close community atmosphere. In the student community, there are many opportunities to get involved such as clubs and athletic activities as well as intramural activities. Getting involved is a very important part of a well-rounded college education.

I knew almost everything about the University of St. Thomas before I attended the school because I visited the school and did research.

Laura

I think it is important for perspective students and their families to start their college search with an open and positive mind. Explore a variety of schools; close to home and far away, big and small, private and public. Choosing a college that is right for you is one of the most important and exciting decisions of your life. to Try to avoid being peer pressured into applying to the same schools as your best friends in high school. Explore and don't be afraid to venture out because this is the time that you can. Apply to several schools, a couple safety schools but also take risks and apply to a dream school. Nothing bad can come from applying and don't be discouraged if you don't get in. Visit campuses and get involved in orientation programs to get a real feel for a school. Don't be shy!

There is a lack of college feel, kids aren't very involved in activities and most kids hometowns are within a 50 mile radius so people often go home on the weekends.

Great school academically, small classes, good professors and nice people

Philip

It has a very heavy emphasis on business which makes for a great business school. It provides stuedents with a in depth look in the business world. Also, it has a wide variety of business majors and allows for students to learn quite a bit about business and how to get a job.

I would give the advice to an incoming student to find a college that fits your chosen field of study the best. Also, to find the right college, a student should visit the college and talk to students there not affiliated with the college in order to full understand what the college is really like. The social aspects of college can be found in every college, but not every college has the programs to fit your educational needs. You are going to college to get an education and that should be the foremost thing on your mind. Balancing work and play will be learned throughout the college years and the work needs to interest you in order for that process to be speedy. To make the most of your college experience, I would advise that the best way to get what you want out of college is to be proactive in your search for what you want. Take advantage of the time you have with friends and take advantage of what your academics can do for you and your future.

The worst thing is the price and lack of financial aid. It is quite exvepnsive and is hard to see where the money is going to to. Most people get aid but it is usually not enough to bring down the price to a reasonable level

Classmates are very friendly, open, and willing to work in teams to help each other out.

I would tell parents to visit the campus. You will not know if you really want to go to that school until you have seen the campus. Being on the campus gives you a whole new feeling of what it is like to be on campus. I would also encourage parents to let the child attend events for prospective students. It will give the student what it is like to be a college student for a day.

The atmosphere of the campus is very warm. It small, yet big enough. It gives you a sense of home when you are on campus. The professors are very engaging in helping the students.

Michelle

The University of St. Thomas is best known for its connections with outside employers and job rate placement as well as studying abroad. The possibilities after college are endless and there are many available resources to help you choose your next path whether it be graduate school or the workforce. The facilities at UST are there to help in any way and desire to see you successful. Our study abroad program is also very popular and one of the top in Minnesota. There are opportunities to study virtually anywhere which provide even better educational experiences.

First, I would tell students to make the decision about where to attend college for yourself; not for your parents or friends because this is your experience and only you will be the one to make the most of everything. Therefore, choose a school you love, feel comfortable walking around, will benefit your future career/degree plans and all that is important to you in a college. Also, be sure to make the most of you whole experience. Take chances, try new things and never limit yourself to any possibility. The whole process of applying to college and choosing your school is stressful and frustrating, but it is an important one which will impact your future. For parents, encourage your child to be open to their experiences and not to limit themselves in any form or fashion. The college years are exciting and frustrating for both the student and parents. Remember your student may need guidance and you are the perfect person to provide insight. College years are some of the best of your life; you never want to look back and wonder what if, so do not worry because whereever you will be, will be the place for you.

For me, the most frustrating part about St. Thomas is the cost and financial resources. I do not come from a wealthy or one who is paying for my college education. Instead, I am paying full tuition on my own. It is frustrating and scary to take out loans for thousands of dollars each year. I wish there would be more resources available to earn financial assistance through the school because it is hard when money is always a factor. I would love to study abroad and pursue other opportunities but it will take a lot of financial assistance.

Adriana

I hope it is best known for it's amazing professors and high standards! I'm not sure what it is best known for. I didn't look at reputation when I applied, I looked at how small the campus was, and how much money they could offer me in scholarships.

I would advise any prospective student or parent to focus more on the values that they wish to learn. Schools are costly, but if the education seems to be the right fit, there are always ways to come up with the money. If you work hard in college you can go anywhere, so choosing a college is a big descision. Always focus on what kind of environment would be most suitable for your learning abilities. Don't pick a college based on friends' opinions, or where they are going. Pick a college based on your personal needs. Making the most of your college experience may at times be fun, and sometimes frusterating. Groups are a fun way to meet people while learning more about topics that interest you, and help you further your education. Try to be involved as you can when you attend a school, this way you won't feel left out if you don't live on campus. I would also suggest not spending all your time partying, there are other ways to make friends, and it is hard to do your homework when you are out all night. The best thing about college? Being yourself.

Finding the money to pay for my education. Currently my tution is 38 k a year. I cover this with several scholarships, a grant, and several loans. I feel like the school is worth the tution sum, in both surroundings and available equipment, to the education itself. But having a heavy school load and demanding classes, it is hard to hold a job to pay for my education and I have to rely on loans.

Julie

Business, Science and Physcology. We are also known for being the largest private catholic university, and the school is known for having rich kids there.

I believe the most important thing for a student when searching for the right college is to find a school that fits for each individule. I have had many friends who have transfered because they "just didnt fit in" in some state schools. Here at St. Thomas, I spent a night overnight as a prospective and it really showed me what life as a Tommie may be like. I believe that being able to be comfortable is the most important thing, becuase it is the key to happiness at school. I had an opportunity to go to a very competitve school in Milwaukee but i chose to go to St. Thomas because , number one, I fit in at the school and number two the financial aid was better. My advice would be to go with the school that fits financial needs, and that the student may be comfortable with.

The availibility for connections in the business department and the location of the school.

Liz

My classmates are competitive, hardworking individuals; most having a career already in place before graduating.

Visit often and many. The more schools you look at, the better feel you will have for what you want in a school and what you do not want. Also, the more often you visit a school, the better and more comfortable you will feel with it. Prioritize what is most important for the student's learning situation. Does a small class size matter? Do they know what area of leaning they are most interested in? Transportation, phones, computers, and mail allow us to keep in contact with others and socialize. If the teachers, learning atmosphere and classes needed are at one particular school, you should attend.

A person who is focused on school, likes to be involved, and considers themself social.

University of St Thomas-Saint Paul administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.