University of St Thomas-Saint Paul

« See more reviews of University of St Thomas-Saint Paul

The worst thing is probably the social clicks. I feel as though I have only changed high schools and live away from home. The clicks are very noticeable and are exclusive. Apparently, this tends to be a reoccurring theme in many of the small private schools in Minnesota according to students from surrounding private universities, with whom I have had the pleasure of talking to. I think this is due to the amount of money that student?s parents have, assuming they are attending this college because their parents can afford it, unlike the current author of the statement.

I think that, though our safety services on campus do a relatively good job and keep campus and the surrounding area safe, there are times when more could be done. I have personal experience with safety services at St. Thomas not communicating well after an incident, and they also recorded the incident incorrectly. Most incidents are not even very accessible to student knowledge, so while there may be one report of, say, a 'window peeper', people don't worry much because they believe it to be an isolated event. In reality, there may be many more unreported like it.

Since this is a private school, some departments such as music, theater and even biology (which is relatively new here) take a backseat to more popular departments such as business and education. So unless you are a business or education major, your classes might possibly be in the older buildings on campus and your major program will get less money and have fewer people in it. Other issues: the spanish language program here is so-so, on campus parking is limited and expensive, and there are lots of general requirements such as 2 philosophy and 3 theology courses.

The University of St. Thomas is a great school, but the worst thing about the school is the high tuition costs. As college student we are struggling with stress about finance and the high tuition costs are the leading cause to this stress. Many students have to find a job while they are in school, because they can't afford the high cost associated with college. Since students are working while in school it causes stress on their academics. Overall, if St. Thomas lower their cost of tuition it would be beneficial in reducing financial stress in their students.

The worst thing about this school is the lack of diversity. Most people come from a very similar background; white, upper-middle class. There is a shortage of diversity among the backgrounds of the students. The backgrounds of the students and their experiences are what contribute most to the atmosphere of the campus. The conversations that happen in the classrooms, cafeterias, outside school buildings are all informed by this collective background that most people share. The homogeneity that I have been describing leads to some students feeling isolated.

The worst part of St. Thomas is the administration. UST has taken on large finacial construction projects which have not been fully paid for. This has lead to an unsustainable finacial bond situation for the university. Their response is to increase tuition, often at 8+ percent. When the cost of school is already $40,000+ this is not reasonable. Students are mislead, enter this school, and then are burdened by high tuition and fees. The administration takes no input from students, and overpowers student organizations to not think independently.

The worst thing about my university is the lack of diversity. I was in a diversity program the summer before my freshman year with other minority students and it was one of the best experiences of my life. When the actual college year started, there was not many more diverse students than the group we had formed in the summer. To get the best experience out of your life, mix with as many different people as you can, from different backgrounds, and learn their stories. This will give you a better understanding and respect for others and yourelf.

Too-strict rules about underaged drinking. I feel that school officials are out to punish students instead of what they should be doing, which is ensure their safety. Charging students large amounts of money would not change their destructive behavior. Also, one of the worst things about St. Thomas is having to take core classes such as Theology and Philosophy in order to graduate. We're paying for these classes. Shouldn't we be able to opt out if Theology and Philosophy are not our interests? Three semesters of Theology is too much.

I feel as though my school is the perfect fit for me. Although, every school has flaws. The most prominent problem at my school, as is every other school, is the underage drinking. It is so common, especially for freshmen, to drink on the weekends. Some students drink every day! I think that in order to improve my school, they should express and act on more strict rules about underage drinking. Underage drinking not only happens in the first week, it happens all year round. This problem can be fixed with new effective rules.

The science classes start out with huge auditorium classes, which is not what St. Thomas advertises as a part of their "small class sizes" deal. I also don't like the fact that there is no underground tunnel system or miniature shuttle system for the extremely cold Minnesota winters. The dorms are too expensive for the conditions that their in. Toilets, sinks, cabinets, carpetry, wall paint, bathroom tiles, showers, windows, ALL NEED REPLACEMENT! The communication between north and south campus activities are also very secluded.