University of St Thomas-Saint Paul

« See more reviews of University of St Thomas-Saint Paul

UST is a great medium sized school, about 6100 students and located 10 minutes from both downtown St. Paul and downtown Minneapolis. It is one block from the Mississippi River and has its front gates on Summit Ave, the longest stretch of Victorian style homes in the country. Basically, it's in the perfect location. There is SO much to do on campus and in the Twin Cities! I've been to lots of Twins, Wild, and vikings games as well as several shows at the Guthrie, Ordway, and Orpheum theaters. I love eating at the Grill, Scooters, and the Binz on south campus (Mary's Sandwiches are the BEST.) There is a ton of school pride, and we have a heated but friendly rivalry with St. John's/St. Ben's in nearly every sport. The Tommie/Johnnie football game is bigger than homecoming. People in the neighborhood have a positive view of campus, and students aren't really seen as a problem like at some colleges. Don't get me wrong, we have fun and party on weekends, but we don't get out of hand and cause trouble for people. That's just not our style I guess. The dorms are a lot of fun, though some of them could use some updating. But I met most all of my friends I have today just by living in Ireland Hall with them.

I absolutely love the University of St. Thomas. There are only about 15 to 20 students in each class which makes it easy to form relationships with teachers and classmates. The campus is very compact; it takes only fifteen minutes to walk from one end of campus to the other. I am definitely grateful for this short walking distance during the cold, Minnesota winter months. In addition to being compact, the campus is also beautiful. The grass of the upper and lower quads is luscious and green during the fall and spring. Students are often seen playing Frisbee, studying or lounging on the quads during these warmer months. The location is ideal as well. The University of St. Thomas is located in the heart of St. Paul which is a cozy, residential, Minnesota city. There is also a shuttle bus, which is free for students, that the university owns and uses to transport students to downtown Minneapolis. Downtown Minneapolis offers students a range of activities with its restaurants, movie theatres, clubs, museums, shopping malls and much more.

When I tell friends and relatives about St. Thomas, the first two things I mention are community and location. I love the community that St. Thomas offers, and I can't imagine being a part of anything else. St. Thomas is big enough to meet new people every day, but small enough to recognize friends while walking through campus. The Tommie spirit unites the campus, and the support system reaches from classmates and teammates to professors, coaches, staff and alumni. St. Thomas is only a block away from the gorgeous Mississippi River Boulevard, which is crowded with runners and bikers when the weather's warm. It's safely surrounded by neighborhoods and restaurants with distinct character and flavor. However, it's also only five to ten minutes from both downtown Minneapolis and St. Paul. It's easy to catch the free campus shuttle to Minneapolis for a Twins, Timberwolves or Vikings game, a concert on First Ave, a shopping trip to Nicollet Mall and so much more.

St. Thomas is a medium sized school located in residential St. Paul, but it has easy access to downtown Minneapolis with its graduate campus down there. The campus definitely feels like a close knit college campus with its successful D3 athletics and school activites (free concerts, speakers, etc.) and yet there is so much to do off campus as well like going to see Twins/Wild/ Vikings/Timberwolves games, seeing shows at the local theatres, different restaurants and dance clubs, etc. I'm really excited for the new athletic and student centers. The athletic center is going to be done in August and will have a new gym, pool, and weightroom that's partnered with Lifetime Fitness! The student center is going to have a bowling alley, more eating places, a big banquet room/dance hall-- I just hope it gets done early so I have even more time to enjoy it before I graduate!

One of the most positive aspects of St. Thomas is the one on one help that professors give their students. I have never taken a class and found myself thinking "does my professor even care about my grade?" Walking onto the UST campus I was blown away. It is absolutely gorgeous and definitely a selling point. Being in a place of beauty is inspirational. One thing that I would like to change on my campus is the sole focus on athletics. I think that our university has so many other interesting and wonderful clubs, but many of them don't get the credit or attention that they deserve. Aside from that though, I think that my campus is awesome. We have tons of school pride. This is often demonstrated through "Tommy Tuesdays" when students wear purple to support UST!

St. thomas is a great school, but I admit that the price is a considerable amount to pay. One thing that makes this a bit comforting is knowing that St. Thomas is the biggest private college in Minnesota, yet you will rarely find yourself in a class with more than 25 students. You will also find yourself being taught by a professor themself, rather than a Teaching Assistant; I have heard many horror stories, from friends at other colleges and universities, about their classes going awry due to a Teaching Assistant being in charge of nearly the entire class. University of St. Thomas professors are there to help their students learn, and they engage in each student's personal learning process. I feel incredibly fortunate for the opportunity to learn at St. Thomas.

The best thing about St. Thomas is the location. It's in the capital city, but when you are around campus, it feels like a small, tight community. It's incredibly easy to head to downtown Minneapolis and get that bustling metro feel. (UST even has a campus there!) St. Thomas is a small school, but that's exactly what fits me. I don't think I could do well in a class with hundreds of students. There's no personal touch then. I love seeing professors (past and present) in the hallways and stopping to catch up. On campus, I spend most of my time in the library for intense study sessions, quick email check or for group projects. When I'm hungry, I head to the Grill (or, if you have a meal plan, the south campus caf).

St. Thomas is not just located in one place, but in multiple places, one of which is in Rome! The campus size compared to say university of minnesota twin cities, is much smaller and closely knit. The average class size is 21 with a 15:1 faculty-student ratio. They have many clubs and oraganizations to fit your every taste and interest. St.Thomas is surrounded by a wonderful and beautiful neigborhood and many street shops. Also if you love the color purple and love showing school pride, St.Thomas is a great school for both. You can't walk around campus without running into students representing their Tommie Pride!

I love the size of St. Thomas. There are enough people here so that we can have a variety of activities, but small enough that anywhere you go on campus, you will recognize someone. The location of St. Thomas was a large part of why I chose this school. It is in a residential part of the Twin Cities, so it is very safe and quaint, but the buzz of downtown Minneapolis is only 15 min away.

My favorite aspect of St. Thomas is the sense of community at the school. Everyone is very welcoming and accepting. The size here is perfect. Walking around campus, you will see people you know, but there are always chances to meet new people too. The Tommies have tons of school pride! Sporting events are always fun and the opportunities to explore the Twin Cities are endless.