University of St Thomas-Saint Paul

« See more reviews of University of St Thomas-Saint Paul

One attribute of the successful 'Saint Thomas' student which applicants forget to cultivate is a comprehensive knowledge of the school's history. Since its founding in 1885, this university has witnessed numerous events which left their indelible mark upon American history. Its graduates have been key participants in 20th century events, and today its alumni pioneer scientific and business advances within the Twin Cities. Applied correctly, this historical knowledge not only enriches research papers, but also wins the approval of conscientious professors. When considering Saint Thomas, learning its story is the first step to success.

There are no "types" of students that should attend this school, just dedicated students. Coming into St. Thomas, I was unsure if I would be able to attend due to the hefty tuition. However, with an incredible amount of determination, I found a way to make my Tommie dream come true. I was almost turned down because of my family's significantly lowered income due to the economy. . A student should be reviewed as a whole person before soley on their grades. Every student contributes to the Tommie family. We are all different, which is what makes us succeed.

While choir, music, and theater are loved by many students at UST, they are definitely overshadowed in importance to the university by things like athletics and business. The student body places a huge emphasis on fitness and students are very competitive. Fitting in and having a large group of friends is very important. Also, many students go home on the weekends and the campus can feel a little quiet. The kind of person that wouldn't like this school are people whose main focus is the arts because this school just doesn't put that much focus on them.

At UST, all kinds of student are very welcomed, as long as you have a positive attitude toward your education. This school values and respects academic education of every students and their future career as well. Therefore, I believe this would be one of the best choices for anyone who has a serious thought for his education and future, and especially who is truly ready to accept all of the tough challenges awaiting ahead of them along the way. So for those that don't value their own education much, this school might not be a good option for them.

You should't attend this school if you want to be apart of a large university or state school. St.Thomas has a relatively small school feel, and class sizes are about 20-30 students, where class discussion and participation are emphasized. There are no actual sororities or fraternaties on campus either, but there are various clubs and organizations one can get involved in. There is not a lot of "city-life" at St.Thomas either, so if you are looking for that kind of an experience from a very large university I would not reccomend St.Thomas.

A person with no motivation to do great and change the world should not attend the University of St. Thomas. St. Thomas is a great place to receive an education so if you don't take school seriously then St. Thomas is not for you. The school I attend is a private school that offers many great opportunities especially if you are going into business because St. Thomas is associated with many well known corporations. A person who attend St. Thomas must be ready to seize the opportunities that are presented to them without hesitation.

This school does not have many options for majors. Which causes many of the students that come here to transfer to a larger school. Someone that is unsure of what they would like to major in should apply to a college that has more choices. Another issue is that St. Thomas does not have a weekend life, most of the students leave for the weekend. This would not be right for someone that wanted a non-suitcase school. St. Thomas does not encourage the students to stay on campus, the food is bad, and there is nothing to do.

It is diffilcult to say what "kind" of person should not attend this school. I do not believe that a people should be put into specific groups or categorizes. However, I do think that there are certain personatlity characteristics that would not work well at a University. People who are lazy, and do not want to work hard should not attend UST. Students that are uncaring, unmotivated and are closed minded should not attend UST. However, I would like to say that UST is an open family and are not exclusive towards anyone.

I am the type of person who should not be attending this school. I am biracial (black/white), a lesbian, 32 years old, a mom of 2, broke, and non religious. I am the opposite of almost every person at this school. But yet, I love it. All the professors have Phds and truly care about thier students, no classes are taught by TAs, class size is small, the campus is beautiful, the alum give tons of money for financial aid and offer jobs to new grads. I think it is the perfect, imperfect school. I am a proud Tommie!

St. Thomas is very inclusive and hosts a variety of different people of different interests and backgrounds. I would say that the people who go to St. Thomas are generally ambitious and goal oriented. They care about thier education and progressing towards their future. If a person doesn't have at least one of these qualities, I don't believe that St. Thomas would be a good fit for them. Also, being in Minnesota, if they don't like or cannot handle winter weather, this University is probably not the one for you!