University of St Thomas-Saint Paul Top Questions

Derek

Take classes you hate early on... load up in the fall... work out more before hockey season.. take up golf earlier.

Apply for more colleges, apply for as many scholarships as you can, and study abroad! You are smarter than you realize, more resilient than you think, and can figure out how adapt to almost any setting. Take chances now by applying to the programs you really want to apply to no matter how far away from home they are. Take steps now to avoid paying off loans by applying for all those small and weird scholarships. Someone's got to win them, right? And be sure to study somewhere completely foriegn. This is the one thing you'll regret- not going abroad- and it's the one thing you could've made happen super easily. That's the thing about college- it's way easier to study abroad than people think. You just have to put yourself out there and apply.

If I had the opportunity to go back to my high school self, I would tell him that it will be a harder transition than he would ever imagine. Listen to your mother would be my first lesson. Every time she tells you that habits are hard to break and start working on good study habits, I would make sure that high school Austin listened. Living on campus allows for so much extra free time with no one reminding what needs to be done. I would have mastered getting up with an alarm clock and learning to prioritize and be efficient with time. College classes are harder and there is a need to understand how to be an independent learner; something I didn’t comprehend until experiencing my first semester in college. I thought I was much smarter than I actually am! I had no idea the amount of work that I would need to put into my studies. Overall, listen to your Mom when she says to learn to work harder, because you will need to practice it first to become an efficient and effective learner in college.

Breanna

The transition between high school and college wasn't quite as easy as I thought that it would be. If I could I could go back in time and talk to myself as a high school senior I would tell myself three things. First, I would tell myself to be confident and to remember that everyone else is just as nervous as I am. I would tell myself to be social and open to starting conversations in order to make many new friends. Next, I would tell myself that I shouldn't expect to be able to do all of the activities offered on campus. There is just no way to participate in every acticity that I want to and also get schoolwork done in a timely manner. Finally, I would tell myself that I need to care about my schoolwork and grades, but I can't stress about them. I would remind myself that the first semester of college is tough for practically everyone, and I shouldn't expect to ace all of my courses. I would tell myself that the most important thing is to put my best effort forward and not get discouraged.

There is a lot of good advice out there for incoming college freshman: Be yourself. Meet new people. Try new things. Get involved on campus. All are good strategies to navigate the craziness of college life. But why do we put ourselves through this craziness? Ultimately, we get a degree. If that were all, then the only advice needed would be to get good grades. But it's not. College is more than getting a degree. College gives you a place where you can learn how to live successfully in the "real world" without being directly in the "real world." College is a place where you are challeneged and grow to become the adult you arguably will be for the rest of your life. So live like it. Figure out how to be yourself in the world. Figure out how to balance work and play. Figure out why you believe what you believe. Make mistakes, but learn from them. Learn how to handle new people, new things, and new ideas. College is a journey towards endless possibilities. All the advice gives you means of travelling, but remembering the "why" gives you control over where you go.

As a senior, I had life all figured out. I maintained a 4.0 GPA and was in many clubs that padded my college applications. I've always been known for being a high achiever. As soon as someone tells me I can't do something, I set my sights and don't stop until I overcome that obstacle. I was set to attend the University of Minnesota in Minneapolis in the fall. This would mean going from a school of 300 to 50,000. Many people doubted my decision to go to such a large school and that only fueled my desire to prove them wrong. I lasted just 10 days at U of M before realizing it wasn't for me. Luckily, I still had a spot for me at St. Thomas, the only other school I was considering. The adivce I would give the hard-headed person I was last year is that it's okay to take the path of less resistance. Just because I can handle the challenge doesn't mean I have to. I am overjoyed to be a student at St. Thomas now that I realized what I wanted from my school.

Through the value of growth, you will realize how important it is to make decisions, even when difficult, in order to do what is right for you, others, and your community. When you follow what you believe, you will achieve growth and success. You will begin to see these changes in many ways, some internal and some more concrete. First, you will be a better person when you make decisions that solidify your beliefs. This can be challenging when it means going against what others or society say in contradication. Through the process you will find confidence in yourself and your decsisions. Next, others will see the confidence you have, and they will come to you so that they can grow along side you and make a change in the world. Confidence is contageous. Finally, when you chose to serve your community and address a need, you may have to sacrifice self-serving desires but you will find fulfillment and this will benefit everyone involved, including yourself. Find out what you are passioante about, establish values, and live by them. Now, conluding 2014, you have achieved so much, and it has created a lens to see more opportunities to flourish.

Life gets rocky, but that's not something you don't know already. Obviously you know that perseverance allows hard work to have a greater meaning and purpose for life, but realize that continues on through college. Obviously you know that drama exists, but do you know that it will continue to exist even though college is all about maturation? I want you to recognize that college IS about changing, and maturing and finally growing into that person that you have always wished you could be. But, I also want to tell you that all the changes, all the differences between high school and college that seem as though they could knock you off your path, those changes are the ones you have to ebb and flow with. Fighting with the changes, giving up against the challenges and difficulties, that's when you'll lose your path. What I'm here to tell you is that if you surrender to the change, and work with the challenges to make you stronger, you'll make it through anything. You're strong now, but get stronger. Work harder, study longer, maintain relationships that mean the most to you; you'll make it.

If I could give advice to my high school self, I would say "lean in." I would urge myself to lean into everything that is college. If you get invited to go out to eat pizza with some students on your dormitory floor, lean into the conversation. Be present, be active and truely take an interest in them as individuals. I would tell myself to lean into community living. Although it is easier just to stick to what you know or who you know, leaning into the community on campus will be worth it when your closer friends aren't around. I would say lean into campus participation. Even if you don't know a single person in an on campus club or organization, join anyway! Connecting with people is really easy to do when you have something in common such as a passion for sports or a hobby. Last but not least lean into the career planning opportunities. Utilize mock interviews and internships. They are nerve racking and scary, but doing so relieves some of the stresses and pressures of graduation that are sure to arrive in your fourth year. Lean in Claire!

If I were able to go back in time and talk to myself as a high school senior I would give myself so many pieces of advice. First, and foremost, I would tell myself to stop worrying so much. I went through quite a bit of emotional stress and issues going in my freshman year of college because I stressed myself out to much. I would encourage myself to take it one day at a time and realize that everything will truly work out the way it is supposed to be. Secondly, I would tell myself that it is okay to not always have a clear, defined idea of what I am doing or who I am. College is about finding out who you are and what your passions are and sometimes you have to make a few mistakes, stumble, fall and get back up before things are clear. I would tell myself to take a deep breath and realize that I will constantly be changing, evolving and growing--and that's good. Lastly, I would tell myself to always follow my heart, no matter what. Your heart clearly can point you in the right direction in times of trouble.

Ryley

Ryley - Don't ever doubt that you are talented or deserve to be in the place that you are. You have earned your place at St. Thomas and you are there to propel yourself into a successful future. Don't blow off your parents when it comes to the scholarship stuff; yeah, they are super annoying but when you get your first tuition bill, reality will hit hard and you're going to wish you listened to them. Appreciate your friends and family before you go, and make sure to keep in contact with them; I know you want to leave your old life behind, but the people that have been there for you throughout the years are the ones that really count and you're not going to want to lose them. Be open to talking about ANY problems you're having at school with either mom and dad or your older sister, because mom and dad are smart and Whitney has been through this process before. Don't be afraid to be yourself, even though a lot of people may not like you, you will find people who do - stick with and support those friends. Love yourself. -Ryley

Sarah, for you, college is different; but believe me when I tell you that it is wonderful. You're going to love it. Don't ever be afraid of that difference, because change is something everyone needs in their life and it opens them up to wonderful possibilities they didn't even know existed--because they were too afraid. Yes, being uncomfortable sucks but being uncomfortable is the only way to embrace new ideas, people, and experiences. So shake off the uncertainty, the doubt, and the fear and be prepared to jump into every situation with an open mind and a positive attitude. That kind of mindset will guide you to success and happiness--and let's face it, happiness (with all of its constituents like love, acceptance, and understanding) is the most important thing you can find in your lifetime.

Mackenzie

If I were to go back in time and talk to myself as a high school senior, I would tell myself to think about success and what it means to me and not others. Senior year, the goal is to score well on your ACT, SAT, and AP or IB tests. The higher the score, the more successful you believed you were. Everyone is so consumed in getting a higher score that they put aside their own happiness. I thought that a higher score would mean more happiness because I was successful, however that is not the case. At this point, I believed that success was defined by grades, achievments, and awards given to me. However, I know now that these things can only get you so far. Although I do not know how to define success in a way that is not measured by grades or achievements, I would tell my-high-school-senior-self to redefine success. Overall, parents, teachers, and peers ingrain in you that in order to successful you need good grades and to acheive many things. However, I would go back and tell myself that this not all there is to success.

College is rough. It is no easy ride and there is absolutely no hand holding. As a high school student you should stop focusing on your overall letter grade and take a step back. Look at why you are recieving certain grades. Start to study more frequently, it is okay to skip going out with friends sometimes. In college, there will not be time to go out all the time and blow off studying for that upcoming test in math. Take advantage of down time, if you have four hours of free time, learn to use it usely. Take time for yourself, but sacrifice half of your free time and really focus on getting the important stuff done FIRST. Learn the material, by learning what you need to know you are taking the stress away from yourself that you might suffer later down the line. Also, it does not hurt to apply for scholarships early. I know it does not seem important now, but scholarships will overall save you stress of knowing you have thousands of dollars in loans to pay back eventually. In the end, I know you can do it. Have fun and study hard my friend.

Mohamud

Figure out your life goals, and what are you passionate in. Learn to apply yourself even when you are not challenged in school. Even though highschool classes do not challenge you, make sure that you don't recieve anything less than an A in any class. If you recieve all A's, you will recieve financial support, and not make your parents go through financial hell to pay for you. Dont let your mistake and laziness cost your parents their hard earned money. Develop a passion for personal improvement. Learn from all your mistakes instead of making the same mistakes over and over again. Learn to love reading. There is a lot of studys that show that reading is directly correlated to income. The average millionaire reads much more than the typical person. Work more than 40hrs a week and save as much as possible. School comes very easy to you so make sure to save a lot of money for college. You dont need a lot of friends. They will distract you from personal development and your life goals. Always challenge yourself and aim to be the best in evertyhing you do because thats how you become succesful

Advice To My High School Self I recommend fully taking advantage of all the college readiness programs that high school has to offer. College is a big decision, and putting off applications or pretending there is an infinite amount of time to do them only makes the decision harder. Consider all of the factos that go in to picking a certain college, not just how big of a "party school" a university is. Remember that this school will be your home for the next four years; pick somewhere where you feel you belong. Most importantly, remember that college is not for everyone. If you do not feel ready or want to take a break, by all means do so. There is no use in wasting money somewhere where you will not succeed. Do not feel pressured to go to a four year university just because everyone else is doing so. Do what makes you happy; you will thrive.

I would tell myself to take college seriously. Don't "take a break" and assume you will go later. Life will always get in the way. I know you are smart and you will do just fine in life, but remember your dream to achieve your degree and don't give up on it so easily. Finish it before marriage, full time jobs, and kids, it will be so much easier! I know you are so glad to be done with high school, but realize that at college, you will find that you love learning because they enrich your mind, they don't just make you pass the class like in high school. You will soon realize how important it is to keep learning and you'll love it!

Shawn

If I could go back to my old self as a high school senior, I would give myself lots of advice. However, one very important piece of advice I would give myself is to take my studies seriously and actually sit down and take the time to know the information. My first year of college was very difficult because in high school, probably like most students, I never studied. I got away with no studying, but I think my GPA would have been much higher in high school if I did actually study. Now, here in college I have learned a lot about myself and I have learned my own personal study habits that I never had in high school. My time so far in college has been a time of self-discovery and I have learned that taking my studies seriously here in school is key to achieving success. So, to summarize, I would have to say that studying and really attempting to know the class material backwards, forwards, and upside down is extremely important to attaining success and going places in this world. Students taking their studies seriously will help them to unlock the secrets of this world.

Lily

Listen to your gut. You always second guess yourself and end up dissapointed. You know what you've wanted from the start, so go after it. Don't short change or limit yourself. Go out more, invest more time in learning about classes you'll have to take.

Appreciate how much time you have. Right now, the idea of fitting anything more into your schedule seems like an absurdity, but a year from now you will be busier than you ever thought possible. Take advantage of this time to sleep and read a book for fun! Hang in there, and relax. It doesn’t seem like you’ll ever be done with college applications, and choosing among all the different schools appears to be a daunting task, but you will finish the applications and the decision will become clear. To avoid oscillating between worry over decisions that you are not yet able to make and excessive anticipation of the college life, do your best to stay in the moment and enjoy the time you have with family and high school friends. For better or for worse, next year will be upon you in no time. P.S. Start packing now!

Ngoc Thoa

As a high school senior, really try to get the A in AP Macroeconomics. It carries over and you do have ot waste time later. It's true that senior year supposed to be fun and all, but those fun does not carry much over when you are in college. Also, you will not have a lot of scholarships, and you know that your family will not create a fund for your studies, so the safest way is to get a job during the summer, instead of going to the camp to make friends at St. Thomas, though I know you will be the only one from Humboldt to go to St. Thomas. Be more outgoing. People do not bite. Just be yourself, be nice, and enjoy college when you get here. Best regards.

Moving away from home is hard. I know you have heard how awesome it is to live on campus, and how living in a dorm will help you make connections and feel at home, but that simply isn't the case. There are benefits to being close to campus resources for sure, but living in a dorm setting will be challenging. Meal plans are the worst. Know going in that you will have meals left over. Don't stress about trying to eat three meals a day on campus. It is going to be a blessing to go home on weekends and periodically during the week. Don't muddy that blessing with worrying about how to get through all the meals. You wont. Don't worry about how hard college will be. It is challenging, but understand that you are smart and you can do it. The things you will have to do for class in the fall won't be as hard as trying to find the time to do them. Spend an hour daily this summer working on Spanish. It will make you more confident in class, and will propel you into your major with a firm foundation.

It is okay to be fearful. Whether it's the fear of failure or the anxiety you feel in crowded places. You will fail several times; accept that you made mistakes and learn from them. That anxiety you feel is manufactured. Let yourself be consumed by it. You will realize that you are stronger than you think you are. It is natural to be fearful of seemingly threatening situations. Don't associate it with weakness.

If I could go back and talk to my high school self, I would start off by saying: don't worry about what these people think of you, it never did matter and it never will. There are so many greater things in this world than what some classmates think of you; you probably won't ever see them again anyway. Everyone says the next four years will be the best ones of your life and they are right, but something they don't tell you is they are also the worst four years of your life. High school was hard work, I know, but college is harder and it is okay to be stressed out sometimes and it is okay to cry. Everyone that is here with you is in the exact same boat. They are just as stressed as you and just as scared. It's okay to be scared and it's okay to struggle in college but you don't have to do it alone. There are so many people out there that are willing to help you. You will find your closest friends in college and build lifelong relationships. College will change your life.

As a high school senior, there were many things I would have liked to have heard from my future self. The first piece of advice I would give to the high school me is to do your best and accept whatever the outcome may be. Life is hard enough as it is, so don't let yourself get caught up in final grade on your transcripts. While it is important to do your best, your worth does not come from your grades. They absolutely do not define you. As a person, you are defined by the effort you put into any given situation, not the results themselves. While this doesn't always apply to your worth to a company or a school, it will always apply to you in your personhood. In addition to this, the number on piece of advice I would give to my former self is to be yourself in every situation. Don't let yourself be controlled by your past and who others have tried to make you be. You are you, and you have the ability to show that to everyone you meet.

Don't worry about what others think of you. Put yourself out there; try new things, and meet new people. You never know who you will end up being friends with. The people you hang out with the first week of college aren't typically people you hang out with weeks later. So instead of stressing over fitting in, make the most of your college experience and just be yourself. College is a great experience, and you can meet people that will be your friends years from now.

Annika

Dear High School Me, You made it. You're finally in college. "How's it going?" you ask. "What's it like?" you ponder. Well, I have your answers. Here are a few things you should know before you take this next step. 1.) You don't need a the big meal plan. I get it, you swim, you get hungry, you like to eat food, but you work in the dining hall. Get the small meal plan and eat all the free food you can. 2.) Buy a nice coat. Walking to class in the winter is cold. Really cold. 3.) That senior boy who keeps talking to-- he's creepy. Run away. He is not interested in being your friend. Make friends with people who will respect you as a person and your body. 4.) You have to try to make friends. I know, you're pretty cool, but future best friends are not going to just find you, you have to try to make friends. Join a club. Go do the stupid on campus activities. Don't just sit in your room with your roommate and watch netflix. Good luck high school me. You can do it.

Ingrid

If I could give advice to myself, I would tell myself that you shouldn't stress out about everything so much. Everything will fall into place and that there is no need to be so serious all the time. You're only a chlid once so enjoy the time where you don't have to work, pay for an education, and just get to have friends. You have your whole life to work so don't fuss about it. When it comes to people, you don't have to bend yourself backwards to get people to like you. Just be yourself and people will come to appreciate it. Also, get a cat in your life. You need one around you at all times. They really help.

Jadea

I would explain the importance of financial stability. Although, I've been injected with such notions my entire life and here I am, going into my sophomore year, applying for a $5000 scholarship, hoping desperately.... desperately, it becomes mine. Like most youth in today's culture, I understand the importance of financial security, however, experiencing hardship firsthand is what has led me to a deeper understanding and appreciation of l'argent. This chat may be a little paradoxical. I'd also like to tell myself not to worry and RELEASE MY INHIBITIONS! Life is infinitesimal and there is infinite beauty to be found in it! I would hate for something like the price of my Daniel Wellington watch or Michael Kors shoes to keep me from enjoying existence. I must also be grateful for my suffering because it is what truly leads to joy. There is no way to know whether or not I am happy, content, euphoric, enlightened, or accomplished if I lack notion of the opposite, and why harbor such radiant feelings if I am unable to appreciate them? To senior me, I simply say: Live

The best advice I coud give myself is to simply not worry about all the "dumb" things in life. Focus on what is important, and stay positive all throughout college. Keep yourself grounded, and stay true to who you are, and never sway from that, not for anyone or anything. It is important to work hard in school, but have time to destress and be at peace with all the things going on in life and the tough times that could be ahead. Stay strong and move forward, though there may be some speed bumps in the way of life, it is more important to slow down, take them, and move on without looking back. Make good choices, not just morally, but with a great future in mind, and let nothing stand in your way.

Eve

The most important piece of advice that I would give myself going into college would be to say yes! Go meet people, join clubs that interest you, take chances, try out challenging classes, put yourself in new situations! This is the best way that you can make the most of your college experience. You need to be open to new experiences and by doing this you will have an amazing time at college. Don’t be afraid of failing, or messing up, or looking stupid, because you will learn from your mistakes and grow from them. The best part about college is being introduced to new things, and there is never going to be another opportunity to try new things like you will have in college. There can be so much to be gained from broadening your horizons and opening yourself up to the people around you. Don’t take all of these chances for granted, and go try something new!

If I could go back in time and talk to myself as a high school senior I would tell myself that it's important to be honest with how much I can take on. I think it's important to take things slowly, at first, and gradually increase your workload as you move through the years. In the beginning, I felt extremely overwhelmed and as a result I had to eliminate a lot of things from my life. However, now that I have a handle on how to study I am able to take on a lot more, and still have time to enjoy myself. The take away message is: everything in moderation. If you take on too much you're going to end up falling short in everything. However, if you take on a little, then you always have the opportunity to add more and you allow yourself to have enough time for every aspect of your life.

Rathminee

As a high school student, independent and dependent have two very different meanings. As we grow up into adults, we could not be more excited to move out and get away from our parents. But I learned that in college being away from your parents and home isn't all that great. But the advice that I woud give is that, being in college doesn't automatically make you independent and free. It isn't all that great to be out there in the real world without any aid. Ask your parents for help, stay in touch with your parents. Tell them how grateful and blessed you are to have them as your parents. Cause in the end, their the people you want to stay dependent on.

Perrin

I was right to take all of the higher level and prep classes. They were a good preparation for college.

If I could go back in time and talk to myself as a senior, I would reassure my younger self about his worries about college. At the end of my high school career, I was very worried about going to college. I wasn't sure what school to go to and I had no idea what to major in. Even after deciding to go to the University of St. Thomas I was still scared to go to college. My fear of leaving home and nervousness over whether I chose the right college continued up until the day that I moved into my dorm. But I would be glad to tell my younger self that there is nothing to worry about. The University of St. Thomas is the right choice of college for me. I have had a great time since I have been at school, and I know I will continue to. My classes are great and I have a fun social life. I still have not decided on a major but I now have ideas unlike in high school. So to sum it up I would tell my youngers self to not worry, it all works out.

I would tell myself so many things. First, apply for every scholarship that even remotely applies to you. I am kicking myself now for not doing that more. Second, carefully consider your values. I shared a lot of the same values as St. Thomas, particularly religious, but my goal was to study abroad and I did not plan ahead carefully or consider that value when I was choosing a college. Now, I am in limbo with my study abroad options due to timing and costs. Thirdly, I would tell myself to NOT date that boy in high school and wait until college to date. (He's only going to hold you back and cause a lot of tears and frustration!) Fourth, I would tell myself to lighten up. The biggest lesson I've learned in college is to not take myself so seriously. I was so serious about everything in high school and it led to a lot of stress and anxiety. I would tell myself to choose joy, because life is too short not to be happy and have fun. Finally, I would tell myself that everything is going to be okay.

Treasure your last summer living at home before college starts. Your parents will miss you and they deserve your presence for the last few months, mentally and physically. Don't stress too much about making friends. Attend on-campus activities set up for freshmen and remember to let yourself take breaks from the social atmosphere. Whether or not your roommate is a good friend, you should stay on good terms with them in the duration you are living with them. Remember to call your parents and siblings. Stay in contact with your high school friends too, even if it is only once every few weeks. Its healthy to maintain old relationships and sometimes they can get lost amidts the new.

Jayme

If I could go back in time, I would tell high-school-Jayme to take as many AP, PSEO, S2S classes as possible. I am currently undecided, so not knowing what I want to do puts a tremendous amount of pressure on me. I brought 16 credits with me to college and I'm still freaking out wondering if I will graduate in four years! I can't really afford an extra year of college, so time is of the essence. My advice, "if you see an opportunity, take it." I missed out on so many opportunities in high school because I did not want to put in the time or effort. Knowing now how important it is to graduate in four years, I would tell myself that if I put in the work now, it will pay off later. I did not fully understand that life lesson until now. If I could go back, I would not waste time. I know now that every credit helps.

Vong

If I could go back in time and talk to myself as a high school senior, I would told myself to do more readings and learn to manage my time. From my college experiences, I learned that reading and time management are the most important. Almost all of college courses required reading. In college, I always dream to participate in all of the events that are going on in campus. Unfortunately, it was not easy as I thought. I have homework, readings, and study. Therefore, time management seems difficult to me. General speaking, reading and time management are my advices. I wish that someone would give me these advices; the early I start the more prepare I will be for college.

The best advice that I could give my high school self is to be as outgoing as possible and step out of your comfort zone. I have made a lot of friends by meeting girls on my floor, but I still could have branched out a lot more. I have not met many people that live outside of my dorm, and I wish I would have been more outgoing in the beginning. I also wish I would have stepped out of my comfort zone with my new friends. I still have some of the same beliefs as I did in high school, which isn't necessarily a bad thing. However, I have missed out on trying new things and having new opportunities because I did not step out of my comfort zone. I let my high school self take over and I missed out on some great, new experiences because of it. The last piece of advice is to go into every situation with an open mind; try your best to not be judgemental. Everybody has different opinions and interests, so it is in your best interest to give them a chance and to let them show their true self.

Advice that I would give to myself in high school is that it's not mean to say no. I had such a problem with being so passive and too nice that I couldn't say no to people. When I got to college I was tested the very first day when my roommate had been super assertive. I stood up for myself for the first time and I told her I didn't want to be involved in whatever she was doing. My resident advisor asked her to move out the second day of school and it started with me simply saying no. I would say that it is a good skill to have to be able to take a stand and say what you want. I would make sure I emphasis that it isn't being mean and that it's something that needs to be said once in a while.

You are a joy—it would be a shame to cover that up. Decide to believe that and to rest in the truth that you are dearly loved. Choose to live into your deep passions and let those visions come into focus naturally. Trust your intuition. Believe that if you are meant to be somewhere, you will get there. When something does not settle well within your spirit, it’s time to move on or make a change. Process the things that are challenging and hurtful—there is so much to be learned. Close friendships are so important; keep the ones that understand you. Remember to give enough space and thought to your soul, for it’s what really matters. You have a very important part to play in the world—no one else can do what you are meant to do. Don’t compare your path to another, for comparison is the thief of joy. Keep dreaming, for a life without dreams is colorless. Live engaged and in abandon, and shine the radiant light inside of you.

As a current college freshman, I would give my high school senior self a few pieces of advice. My first piece of advice would be to always make sure you're staying on track (or sometimes even getting ahead) with your school work. It really helps a lot and it assists in avoiding many potentially stressful situations. Secondly, I would tell myself to not be afraid to branch out, and to talk to new people. In high school I had a specific group of friends. Although I talked to people outside of my friend group, I really wish I would've made more friends outside of my friend group. The reason for this is that you never know who you're going to meet and how they can positvely change you as a person. Lastly, I would tell my high school senior self to enjoy the ride! These are the best years of our lives, so we don't just want to waste them. Meet new people, smile and laugh often, give compliments, and never degrade yourself or others.

Renee

If I could talk to my high school self, I would tell myself to enjoy the little things in life. In college it is so easy to get caught up in the big picture. Questions like what job will I get, how much money will I make, and who will I marry seemed to constantly plaque my mind. Every day there is beauty to be found. Every moment there is an opportunity to stop the overwhelming thoughts and look to the beauty of the simple things of life. I would encourage my high school self to put down the phone and learn how to truly “be” with others. I would give also tell myself to smile more, and take myself less seriously. When one lives in the light and friendship of others, simplicity makes life light hearted. I am grateful for my past three years in college, but I wish I knew the power of presence when I entered. Every person is a gift to this world, it is important to learn from others so one can become the best version of themselves.

I would tell myself to focus and push myself harder to do well in my studies. That would have had a substantially huge impact on my success in college because as a college freshman, I was forced to push myself, because no one does it for you. I wish I would've worked harder and took high school more seriously because in the long run, it has affected my college performance. It is hard to become motivated to do well in school, if I didn't have that mindset before. I would tell myself that math DOES matter, because it somehow manages to weasel its way into many classes in college. I would also tell myself that it IS important to do your english homework and read the assigned pages, because in college, you have quizzes on that. I would also constanly remind myself that this transition won't be easy, and to be accepting of what is to come. If I would have known all of that, college life wouldn't have started out so bad.

When you enter college, it is as if starting a new life. No one knows you or what you have been through. High school was full of rumors and drama but in college, people are much less judgemental. Students focus on really getting to know the person you truly are. College isnt as cruel of a place as high school was. Yes, the classes are harder but the students are more mature.

Developing discipline is crucial to your success as an adult. Your parents are there to make sure you make good decisions in high school, but in college you are on your own. It might be more fun to go out drinking with your friends on a Thursday night than it is to study for an exam, but making responsible decisions will bring success into your life. Your discipline needs to extend past your schoolwork; you also need to make good decisions for your health, fitness, and social life. Making these decisions will not only make your college experience less stressful, but it will also set you up for greater opportunities upon graduation.

Go and visit more college university's. Don't just assume that a college is for you because you are comfortable with it, but truly go out and see what other campus's have to offer. Also, don't fall into the "senior slide" idea. You will regret that once you get to college and realize that if you ever start slacking off in your courses, you will quickly fall behind and it will be difficult to get caught up. Another important thing to remember is that once you get to college, nobody knows who you are. You have the chance to start over and make new friends. Don't waste this opportunity to meet people that you would never have met otherwise. It can be easy to look for people who you would normally find yourself with, but I challenge you to get outside of your comfort zone. Enjoy college, study hard, and manage your time well.

Some advice that I would give myself as a high school senior would be to enjoy every moment and love everyone. At our high school, there were many cliques, so it made it difficult to be friends with everyone in our grade. I wish I could go back and fix this so there weren't so many because the more friends that you have in your life, the more connections you have. I know that it is difficult to stay close with friends from high school through college, but it is possible. As the saying goes, "You only live once," so appreciate each opportunity you are given. Attend every school event that you possibly can and enjoy the ride because one day you realize that these little things in life were really the big things.

If I could talk to myself as a high school senior, I would tell myself -do NOT take out a single student loan and to apply for as many scholarships and grants as possible., and to work to pay off the balance. -don't apply for any credit cards -eat healthy -don't buy college books from the bookstore, they're cheaper online -take summer classes to graduate a year earlier. -theater is fun but it doesn't pay the bills -and finally that life is hard but God is good.