University of St Thomas-Saint Paul

« See more reviews of University of St Thomas-Saint Paul

If I could go back in time and talk to myself as a high school senior, the advice I would give to myself would consist of three things. I would start off by saying, take as many pseo courses as you possibly can. Whether you believe it or not, your pseo credits will save you a lot of money. Secondly, begin applying to colleges and scholarships at the beginning of the school year. By applying to colleges early, you can decide which school you are most interested in. Then, you can submit your fafsa on time and have a better advantage at receiving a better financial aid package. Thirdly, do not limit yourself on a certain career due to the difficulty of a subject. Some subjects are harder than others, but there are plenty of resources and tutoring agencies that are willing to assist you in a subject which you are not competent in. With that said, college is more than just earning a degree. You learn so much about life, and most importantly, yourself. You learn how strong you are for your desire to reach your goals. Be passionate about what you want, so you can overcome your limitations.

In looking back at my college experience so far, I know it has been one of learning, growth both academically and personally, as well as filled with fun activities and opportunities to get involved. If I had the ability to talk to myself my high school year of college knowing what I know now, I would tell myself to be calm and enjoy each moment of college. It goes by fast and you only have this opportunity to get involved on an undergraduate college campus during these four years. Also, do not fear the independence adjustment because you will learn so much about yourself and grow as an individual while maintaining connections with family and past friends. Life at home will not completely change to a point that you no longer recognize it once you leave. Lastly, I would recommend to get involved early in college because there are so many opportunities to take advantage of and only so much time. Focus on finding the career/subject you enjoy and choose volunteer opportunities and jobs that fit this interest. All in all, have fun and remember you are at college to receive an education.

I have heard people voice uncertainty before and after arriving at college. They don’t know what they will study, going in, and they don’t know what to do with their degree after leaving. I feel that I have more certainty than that for two reasons: the first, that I have nearly finished earning a professional degree and the second, that it is from a liberal arts school.During my time in college, I have been working to earn a teaching license. It is a qualification that I am passionate about; I am eager to teach or at least work in a school because the license, while not a guarantee of employment, shows that I have this passion and that I am ready to work for the benefit of our nation’s youth.However, earning this professional degree from a liberal arts institution means that I have been obligated to take a set of classes that show me different approaches to knowledge. I have been thankful for this obligation because I feel that it prepares me that much more for teaching. That is what my college experience has given me: a readiness and eagerness to serve future generations adeptly.

Backing up to my senior year in high school I would first pat myself on the back for my maturity. I feel that key component to one's character and personality is more important to one's experiences than many give credit. Speaking face to face with myself now to then, I would start of by emphasizing the uselessness of comparing yourself to others simply by their physical appearance. St. Thomas holds a reputation for the "attractive" appearances of both the guys and gals on campus and knowing this ahead of time can be a little intimidating. Coming out of high school in a small town and heading as the new underclassman in a big city, I felt prepared for whatever was in store, as my self-confidence was strong and able. As much as I felt my maturity was advanced, I really think that it would have been beneficial to see beyond the superficial stereotypes prior to freshman year. As distracting as living up to a certain look can be, I know now that no matter what one's appearance may be, it's ultimately about the character and quality of values you possess that will lead to success.

It is unbelievable how much I have received just from the first semester of my college experience. The academic program at the University of St Thomas is very prestigious and at times I struggled through my first semester; however, my struggling has not been in vain. It has taught me just as much as my school work has. It has taught me adversity, which has taught me how to be dedicated, focused, and determined. I have learned that perseverance is the key to all success; that failure is the first step to success and that one should look towards their future and figure out how to succeed even after a catastrophic failure. All of the great leaders and historic figures I admire, such as Dr. King, Abraham Lincoln, and Susan B. Anthony had an incredible sense of perseverance and commitment. Accordingly, the adversity I have faced thus far has helped me to remain committed to success and my dreams and to continue to preserve no matter how discouraging an obstacle. The true gift I have received so far from the University of St Thomas is learning about me and what is important in life.

Jillian, you need to slow down and take stock of who you are and who would want to become. Do not choose for the sake of making a choice, or present a facade of certainty. This decision need not be rushed, you see. Instead, listen to a confident voice that cries out to be heard! Listen to your inner woman that seeks a deeper purpose and truth. Hear her wisdom that doesn't mold to "acceptable" answers. She knows your generous spirit is well equipped to lift the burdens of those struggling for inner peace. She sees what you don't see! Let her guide you! Remove the pressure of others' expectations. Now is the time to examine your own expectations for the future. Sit with your soul and discuss what she knows. Your future path cannot be chosen by others. Let the clouds of others' noise part to let her timid voice through. Finally, young Jillian, don't be afraid. Mishaps will occur. Do not fear; you can persist. Do not hesitate to unleash the bold, determined woman you feel writhing within. She is ready to face the world with bravery. Follow her courageous lead!

Hello high school Brittany! First of all I need you to take a deep breath and calm down, because everything will work out. I know the whole college thing seems really stressful right now, especially since you are doing all on your own. I promise you though that things fall into place and people are always willing and wanting to help. Don't do this all by yourself. Asking for help is an okay thing! Also, I know you have a lot of homework and tests going on, but you need to go and apply for some scholarships. Writing those essays for those scholarships does not seem appealing, I know, but you need to do it. It will help you so much and decrease your stress level significantly in the future. You won't have to be on campusdiscovery frantically hoping to win a scholarship as a college Freshman. And finally high school Brittany, enjoy your senior year. Don't let the stress get to you. Experience and cherish everything while you have the time to do so. You'll enjoy college so much, but live in the moment and enjoy today. I love you! Stay inspired. Sincerely, Future Brittany

If I could somehow turn back time and talk to myself as a high school senior, I would tell myself to keep pushing forward, to not give in to "senioritis." I definitely worked hard in high school and that is demonstrated by my academic record (was valedictorian in a class of 168 students) and heavy involvement in extracurricular activities. Nevertheless, I think I could have done more in regard to receiving outside scholarships. I procrastinated and didn't even think to apply for more than I did. I would also tell the "high school me" that taking every AP and college level course available was a great idea and to never hesitate registering for them. Not only did I challenge myself at the time and learn a lot, but the rigor transferred into my college experience. If I hadn't taken upper-level courses, I think I would have felt much less prepared. And, as it turns out, college has been going just fine. Lastly, I would tell myself to enjoy the time while I could. Senior year was my opportunity to have a little relaxation before the pressure of college and growing up ensued.

The location, class size, classes offered, and campus life are all important factors in determining where you want to go. The best thing you can do is get a list of colleges that have the field of study that you want to pursue. Once you have that down then you need to think about location, far from home or close to home, this is all a matter of your personality. Then go and visit some of the schools that you have on your list and the rest will fall right into place. Then get involved with the faculty, students and the community. The professors are baskets of knowledge and can provide you with resources and many opportunities. This goes the same for campus activities not only do you get to meet new people that enjoy doing the same things that you do, but you are opening yourself up to a vast pool of resources. Lastly, being involved in the community is great for building good life values. Take the goals that you have in life and then pursue the right paths that will help you accomplish those goals. The faculty, students, and community are resources that will get you there.

There are many experiences that I have achieved at the University of St. Thomas. I have grown spirtually, academically, and socially. I have grown at a Catholic University in my faith, and have learned many new experiences that open my eyes to my faith. I have grown academically. The University of St. Thomas has pushed me to reach my academic goals by myself, while still offering the needed support along the way. I have grown socially, I have made friends, that I know will last forever. The University of St. Thomas has been valuable to attend because the university has exactly what I need in all those areas, and well as what exactly I want out of a university. Even though, it's a private school, and has caused me and my parents more financial struggles, I know that going to the University of St. thomas will be highly valuable in the end, because of my growth in spirituality, academics, and my social life. In my opinion, a private college experience is like no other. It will cause more struggles, but in the end of reaching all of your goals, you know its always possible.