University of St Thomas-Saint Paul

« See more reviews of University of St Thomas-Saint Paul

Education is the key to success and the key to many doors, thus education is one of the most important investments. Along with that comes the important decision of choosing a college/university. As for me,I decided to enroll in El Paso Community College as a means to provide an easier transition between high school and college life. The combination of excellent teachers willing to help you out, along with the many students from the bordering city of our neighboring country add variety into the mix. The students along with the faculty are willing to help you out with any concern you might have and give you an overall feeling that you can achieve anything you want and that they're there to guide you. So far, college has been a great experience. You are exposed to the real life in which you know you are making a change towards a better future in which a good education will surely play a major role, and along with attaining an education, I am learning who I truly am, what I am capable of doing and finding my path with which I will be able to fight the world.

There is a lot of good advice out there for incoming college freshman: Be yourself. Meet new people. Try new things. Get involved on campus. All are good strategies to navigate the craziness of college life. But why do we put ourselves through this craziness? Ultimately, we get a degree. If that were all, then the only advice needed would be to get good grades. But it's not. College is more than getting a degree. College gives you a place where you can learn how to live successfully in the "real world" without being directly in the "real world." College is a place where you are challeneged and grow to become the adult you arguably will be for the rest of your life. So live like it. Figure out how to be yourself in the world. Figure out how to balance work and play. Figure out why you believe what you believe. Make mistakes, but learn from them. Learn how to handle new people, new things, and new ideas. College is a journey towards endless possibilities. All the advice gives you means of travelling, but remembering the "why" gives you control over where you go.

If I could travel back in time and talk to myself when I was only a high school senior, I would say, "Younger Self, don't worry about going to college. You may not enjoy school very much right now; in fact, you probably live for the weekend and die a little bit every Monday. But, college is different. College is where learning becomes fun; it's where school finally gets interesting. In college you have much more freedom in choosing classes, you get to pick a major that actually interests you, and you get to study in an awesome environment where you're best friends live a mere two doors down the hall. Younger Self, you may not enjoy learning very much right now, but once you find that one subject that really interests you, the one that sparks your curiosity, then you'll see how learning can be a great joy. Much to your surprise, your subject will be philosophy. Maybe that's why you don't enjoy school at the moment, because you haven't been exposed to your passion yet. Keep at it! College will probably end up being the best experience of your life."

College had not started for me until my sophomore year, I finally have a direction with my life. My freshman year hardly seemed like a change from highschool. Despite the fact that I was away from home, the easiness of the class, drama between friends and of course the terrible cafeteria food was all there. It was difficult to make friends at first, these new people are being thrown at you and instantly you are supposed to love and trust them as if you had all along. It seemed like i was watching everyone around me have the typical college experience, while I just did nothing. Classes were fine and yet nothing really sparked my interest, I never had the drive that other people had towards their major classes. Throughout all the relationships and classes, I have learned that this pressure that this is just a stepping stone. Barely anything to really dwell over, it is important to pick the path to a career. Many people think its the end of the world if you pick the wrong major. The truth is information can never be bad, the more we know the better we will be.

Dear Shirly, you are an inspiration. Do not let life’s hardship stop you from pursuing your goal of becoming a physician. Although you live in an area known for being low-income and “ghetto”, you have so much determination in you to pursue a higher education. Do not let other people’s scrutiny about who you should be overwhelm you. You can succeed and you will! Keep in mind, though, that college is by no means easy. You’ll need to prioritize yourself and keep a calendar so that you can be on top of things. If you happen to get an unfavorable grade on a test, don’t fret. Believe in yourself! Also, involve yourself in college clubs and organizations that you find interesting and definitely find time to do the things that you love to do. Remember to stay strong, do your best and ask for help when you need it. Finally, let the dreams inside you keep burning. Never stop believing that you will become a physician who will one day come back to serve her community. It is this desire that will motivate you to wake up each day and engross yourself in your education.

My senior year of high school was unique. My brother was deployed to Afghanistan, my parents got divorced, and I spent more time taking care of my alcoholic father than I did of myself. My grades and my confidence plummeted. I never got to truly enjoy my senior year of high school, because I was too busy handling the events that my life handled me. Now, as a freshman in college, I would tell myself that things do not get easier; rough times are inevitable. I cannot change the events that have happened or will happen, but I can change my own individual outlook on them. Senior year of high school, I was unsure whether or not I would be able to attend my dream school- a school that multiple family members attended and loved because of the recessionary times. Despite all of my surroundings telling me there was no way to attend, I turned to them and said "watch me". I am now a freshman a freshman at my dream school, and love it more and more each day. I have learned that everything happens for a reason, and regardless of life's event, to smile through the pain.

Albert do not be afraid of what the future will hold for you. What you need to do, is make sure that you are emotionally ready for this drastic change in your lives. Do not set a limit for yourself- believe in yourself and apply to your dream schools as well as schools that are logical. Even though there are a lot of factors to consider with college, does not mean you have to hold yourself back. For instance, I know money has been an issue wit you. Well, there are countless amount individuals, at your school and academic sources that are nearby and will assist you in your journey and help you financially. Make sure to talk. Clich? as it may sound; talking to teachers you?re your counselor, and talking to other seniors about him or her process. It will have huge affect on your motivation. Also, have that conversation, about college with your mom. She needs to know what is going on in your head and what are your thoughts and dreams. You cannot assume that she is going to know what you want. Finally, relax, do not stress yourself everything will go as plan.

If I went back in time and talked to myself as a high school senior I would tell myself a few things. First, don't ever choose a college based on where your friends. It is never a smart choice to make decisions that affect your life based off of your friends. Second, you should live on campus. It is crucial to live on campus freshman year at least, so you get the chance to experience freedom and are able to branch out and meet new people. It will help the transition immensely. Third, in college people will always change and you'll meet people that seem different but branch out and get to know everyone, as well as try new things. You should join many clubs and take full advantage of the resources and activities the university provides. Lastly, be yourself and don't do things because it seems as if everyone else is doing something. There are people who are great and share the same morals, values, and beliefs. Don't depreciate yourself to fit in with others. College is the stage of your life where you mature and succeed, so find yourself and enjoy doing it.

Dear Senior Self, Hello, this is you speaking. Although we are the same person, I, being older, know a thing or two more about life than you. Particularly, I have gained some wisdom that may be very beneficial to you when you go to college in a few months. Are you ready to here some advice from your older self? Ready or not, here we go! Your transition into college will be a bit more difficult than you expect. Hopefully, these two pieces of advice will help make the transition easier. First, stay on campus on the weekends. This is your time to meet new people, which is one of the best parts about college! Although it may be difficult, be willing to step out of your comfort zone; it will be worth it. Second, make the effort to get to know your professors. These people will be important in your life. They are here to help you, so let them! Go in during office hours to introduce yourself and ask for help on homework when needed. They will appreciate it just as much as you! Well, that’s my advice, short and sweet. Good luck! Sincerely, Your older self

Each high school graduate looks forward to their college experience, but college isn’t just about reading books and sitting in classrooms. After completing a semester of college, I know I chose a great school for myself. I love the small class sizes and the professors actually care about their students. Even in a big city, I feel safe on the St. Thomas campus. To be more involved, I joined a club that is part of a national sorority. Gamma Sigma Sigma is a service sorority that strives to help others while making friends doing it. My involvement in it has helped me aware that I need to help others and can have a great time doing it. I have also learned that living with three strangers takes effort. We are often mad at each other. You learn more about yourself than about the other three strangers when first living on your own with new people. I realized that I could ignore it or learn from it. Not that I have always, but I try to learn from it and be a better roommate. Compromise is annoying, yet necessary for a peaceful room. I really appreciate home now.