University of St Thomas-Saint Paul

« See more reviews of University of St Thomas-Saint Paul

Although, it is probably the most frustrating thing about every college or university, the most frustrating thing about the University of St Thomas is that it seems like one never has enough time in the day. There is always so much going on; including sports, clubs, classes, study sessions, and so on. It becomes very difficult to manage one’s time beneficially. And, of course, there is also sleep that one must take into account. Many sessions and obligations overlap and I find myself sacrificing important priorities for more important ones. Time management is very frustrating at St Thomas.

The most frustrating thing at my school is the cost. Our tuition increases year after year and my financial aid package is not on the high end. I believe I should receive more financial aid due to my race/ethnicity, as well as my high school grade point average and the extra-curricular activities I was involved in. I believe St. Thomas has an excellent reputation, but often times I think of transferring to a community college due to my financial circumstances. However, I'm standing on God's word and believing in Him for resources and scholarships!

For me, the most frustrating part about St. Thomas is the cost and financial resources. I do not come from a wealthy or one who is paying for my college education. Instead, I am paying full tuition on my own. It is frustrating and scary to take out loans for thousands of dollars each year. I wish there would be more resources available to earn financial assistance through the school because it is hard when money is always a factor. I would love to study abroad and pursue other opportunities but it will take a lot of financial assistance.

The cost of attendane is infuriatingly high for an education in a field of study that the school places little importance upon. Instead of going to support my field of study and interests, I feel that the money I have spent on my education instead went towards furthering the school's desire for strong math, science, and business programs, sports facilities, and parking ramps. Recieving financial aid to pay for the cost of education has added to this frustration because the school offers less every year for returning students.

The most frustrating thing about St. Thomas have to do with the meal plans and tenure. If you are living in an on-campus dorm, you are required to get a certain meal plan, which is usually, at least for women, more than you will ever use, so it goes to waste. Also, there are a few professors here ( not the majority) that you can tell are here just because they have tenure. You can tell this because they seem out of touch with how students learn today. I have personally had this experience with only one professor.

The most frustrating thing about my school is boring lectures that professor's can turn into interesting discussions. We as student's are willing to expand our knowledge however; professor's that lack creativity just bore me to death. School should be a facility where creativity and originality are expressed. However, my lectures consist of regurgitated facts and statistics that can be found surfing on the internet. So the question is why even attend class? This frustrates and makes waking up for class more painful.

The most frustrating thing I can think of is that there does not seem to be a student center where students can all go and hang out on the weekends or at night to socialize. There are not many near by social even buildings for students. However, there is a huge new student center being built now which will change that all. ANother frustrating thing is when we are limited by what equipment we have or what books we do or do not have. With the amount of money we spend for this education we should never be limited.

The most frustrating thing about this school is that people are "clicky". When you go out to a social even, its not like anyone to come up to you just to meet you. No one really cares about meeting anyone. People generally stick to themselves and to their own kind. Sometimes you even feel unwelcome just because the atmosphere and vibe. It's really too bad that this is the way it is, but doesn't bother me that much because i have found a good group of friends. Ironically, and sadly, I am now a part of this trend.

The most frustrating part about St. Thomas, is it feels very disconnected from the outside world. There aren't a lot of off-campus things that are within walking distance. Another frustrating part is the emphasis on religion at this school, I realize it is a private, catholic university, but sometimes it can be overwhelming. No one is forced to go to church or participate in prayer, but it gets a little weird when you're walking to class and there are 50+ seminarians singing hymns as they walk through the plaza.

They alter students financial aid packages after freshman year, so as a sophomore I didn't receive a certain loan that was vital to making my education at St. Thomas affordable. Other peers of mine also experienced this dilemma which has caused students to transfer and/or have to take out further loans. Due to the core requirements of three Theology and two Philosophy courses, I think UST should be more generous with their financial aid to allow students who aren't wealthy to attend without excessive worry.