University of St Thomas-Saint Paul

« See more reviews of University of St Thomas-Saint Paul

I wish I had not worried so much about what college would be like and that I had realized what a supportive college St. Thomas was earlier on. UST looks out for its students and does its part in making sure that college is both worthwhile and enjoyable. They offer a great advising program which starts during summer orientation and continues throughout your entire four years. Students who require even more guidance than the advice and help they get from their proffessors and first year advisor can go to a number of great resources on campus. UST cares about students!

The school has an extensive network of alumni in the St. Paul/Minneapolis metro and provides its students with several internship and job opportunities. This is further aided by the career services at the school that helps in resume writing, job or internship searches and interview tips. The school also has several study abroad opportunities and nearly 90% of the graduating students can boast to have study abroad! These opportunities seemed far-fetched to me at first but after being at the school for a semester, I discovered all of these opportunities!

I wish that I had known exactly what my major and minor were going to be because it would have helped me to advance in my classes. I would have been able to make a perfect schedule that would ensure my graduation in four years and strengthen my future career options. I would save time and money by advancing quickly and efficiently through the courses that I would need to take to fulfill the requirements for my education. I also would have been able to participate in clubs, organizations, and internships geared towards furthering my academic goals.

Some of the students in attendence give the impression of the school as a "suitcase campus," or a university where students attend class during the week, and go home for the weekend. This is typical with freshman and sophomore underclassmen, not so much with upperclassmen (With so many other colleges close by, it doesn't matter all that much). Also, I knew St. Paul was a great city and the University has a great location in the heart of St. Paul, but I didn't know just how great the city was with so many attractions close by. Go explore!

One thing I wish I were well-informed about before attending St Thomas is all the additional help I would need to seek and obtain. In high school, I could easily attain “A’s” simply by grabbing my homework and a book then taking a test: pretty simple. In college, however, countless situations have arisen in which I was forced to email professors and set up appointments in order to finish normal homework assignments. Furthermore, I would need to attend extra study sessions and participate in study groups in order to study for tests.

Before I came to this school I wish I would have known what the school expected for grades and transfer students. My first semester of college was at Augsburg College. In mid semester I decided to apply to University of St. Thomas. In high school I maintained an above average gpa, but my ACT score wasn?t up to the standard for St. Thomas. Being a transfer student from Augsburg I thought that they?d look at my first semester grades and they did, but they also looked at my gpa and ACT, and put me as a provisional student.

I wish I would have known what I really wanted to major in. I have chosen a major that has a very small department, therefore limited sections, some offered every other semester which was a puzzle at times to organize my schedule. Had I known my passion for my field, I think it would have been more beneficial to search out schools in and out of state in order to fully take advantage of what my major should be offering, but rather is limited to because of its small budget and few professors.

I wish I would have known that people aren't as friendly as I would have liked them to be. Additionally, I wish I would have known that participation is a huge part of the majority of your classes. This is really only significant for me becasue I have found out that I like learning more by myself and found that participation is usually a negative thing for me rather than a positive thing. However, this isn't that significant, because really, how hard is it to participate (not that hard).

First, I wish that I had know that going to the University of St. Thomas was going to be amazing. I was very worried about college in High School, and didn't know what to expect. Now that I am in College I have had a great time and really enjoyed my classes. Second, I wish I would have looked more into careers, because even to this day I am and undecided student. Knowing my major would have been very useful and made things easier for me. As it is I'm still trying to decide my major.

Although I have nothing but positive feelings towards the University of St. Thomas, I am actually transferring to the University of Iowa next year because they have a major (cinema) that St. Thomas does not have. I wish that I had thought to look at schools that offered a wide variety of things I was interested in and had given the state of Iowa a chance. I also wish I could have known how important it was to have quality professors, but fortunately I got lucky and had them anyway!