Washington, DC
University of the District of Columbia

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend University of the District of Columbia

Chakisha

My classmates are multi-dimensioned.

My classmates are multi-dimensioned.

Kisha, it takes more than the dream itself to make that dream a reality. So you think you’re smart, huh? You are. But let me tell you something you don’t know: Smart won’t earn you a college degree. It won’t pay for tuition; and it certainly won’t slap you in the face when you feel like giving up and tell you to shut the **** up and get on with your education! More so than intellect, you need a plan, several alternatives to that plan and perseverance so much so that any detours to a goal will NOT be the destination. Where is the money to pay for college going to come from? Your father doesn’t have a clean-enough tax record to assist you in receiving financial aid; and your mother is dead. That being said, let me tell you what you do have: you have the will, the fight and the know-how to make ANY dream of yours become a reality. When you make this dream of becoming a college graduate important to you, then you will identify the resources to make it happen. Now make it happen. Overnight shift, anyone?

I wish I had known to continually check on the progression of my classes with my adviser, as it relates to graduating. Never wait until the last minute, only to find out more classes (and money) are needed than what was anticipated. Also, be sure to get ALL things in writing from staff. Never simply accept the word of an employee, only to have that employee deny his/her words later.

If I could tell my high school self anything I would say "Listen to your teachers, counselors and apply for college early". I wish I had planned my college career in advance and taken college more seriously in high school. If there is one thing you should know about college is that it is important! College will shape the rest of your life, so don't blow it off. If you think you can't afford college, think again. There are so many amazing businesses and organizations that offer scholarships. Plus, you can also apply for financial aid. Don't let the fear of not being able to afford college stop you. Once you get to college you will be so glad you chose to attend. Just make sure you keep up with your reading and go to class! Also, time management is all on you, so don't let deadlines pass you by mistake. While college is about learning, its also about living, so don't forget to take time to get involved with school activities, sports and clubs. I know you will learn so many things about yourself and the field you want to go into. Good luck!

TOINNETTE

The University of the District of Columbia is a land grant and the only public institution of higher education in Washington ...

The University of the District of Columbia is a land grant and the only public institution of higher education in Washington DC.

If I could go back in time I would have worked up to my full potential in high school and not do just enough to get by. I would have submitted the application provided by my guidance counselor for a five hundred dollar savings bond and applied for scholarships despite not having a high gpa. I would have taken advantage of the college tours and and asked for contact information for prospective colleges and universities. If I could go back in time I would have been more proactive about the college application process and enlisted the help of my guidance counselors and teachers. I would have asked family and friends about what college or universitiy they attended and used that as a stepping stone for my collge search. I would have been serious about going to college upon entering high school and stayed focus and kept my eye on the prize: a degree in higher education.

I wish I had known about the Federal Work Study/Student Employment Program.

Danielle

Most of my classmatesd were athletes so we had a lot in common and shared similar mind frames and focus.

Danielle, please listen to me carfeully and do not try to make a decision based on anything else. Do a clear background check of the university and make sure the athletic program and department are up to par and will be a good fit for you. Remeber you have to spend the next four years of you life there. Also, pay close attention to students interacting on campus and make sure there is a campus life. Dont forget to ask questions!!! If the campus and your overall perspective of the school don't sit well with you...KEEP LOOKING! You want to graduate from a school that will have your best interests, prepare you for the working world, give you the higher education you are seeking and a school that you will be proud to be an Alumni of. Best of luck do not settle for anything less than the best!

The administration is very sketching especially when it came to financial matters. This school was very disorganized and there was NO campus life.

Angela

The University of the District of Columbia is the only University that holds the name of the nations capital, the professors are excellent at educating their students, the campus is always neat and clean, there is always activities taking place, it is very diverse, and most of the students that I have encountered while being at UDC were friendly, helpful and supportive of me, and last but not least, we have the top English, Math, Science, and Nursing departments.

Through my college experience, I obtained a BS degree in Biology. Moreover, I developed more self-confidence and I also became a stronger person from my college experience. During my college experience, I had some very tough time and during one of my tough time periods, I had dear friend to give me the best advice that I had ever received in life. Ms. Mosely, my financial aid advisor said to me duing one of my rough period, "perservere". Ever since she told me this, I have always carried this word in my heart . So, I guess you can say that out of my college experience obtained perseverance. Finally, it has been valuable for me to attend UDC, because attending UDC has help to grow, mature and develop into a greater person.

Any one who is serious about obtaining a college education and who is able to stay focused should attend the University of the District of Columbia. Students who are hard workers and networkers should also attend UDC. Moreover, I also encourage those people who don't believe they are college material to enroll at UDC. Their enrollment at UDC will be an experience that would show them that they are not only college material but that they can also be as successful as I was at obtaining a degree.

Kelli

The best thing that I've got out of my college experience so far is a new awakening to the world around me. Going back to college has once again opened the doors to new possibilities as well as responsibilities. Though these responisbilities can seem immense sometimes, its always wonderful to know the benefit education gives me and the potential towards me future. It is valuable to attend because I know it hasn't ended when the bell rings. Tommorow is a new class and another possibility towards enlightment.

Tommy

UDC is a nice college that supplies everything that is neccesary in order to get a college degree and become professional.

Well something unique about the University of the District of Coulumbia is that they have a very wide ethnicity . There are white students, african americans, asians, hispanics , and, from many different countries. Compared to other schools, also they accept international students who have a green card,which gives opportunities to any person who came from another country to study and become professional. Something else thats unique about UDC is that the tuition fee is cheap compared to other colleges.

Attending college has been to me a very different experience compared to the previous levels of education that I have completed. One of the things that make this experience so different is the freedom I have to arrange my schedule the way I want to. Thanks to this freedom I now have more free time to either study more or have fun and relax. Something that I have learned from this experience is that education is something I chosed to get and that I have the freedom to keep gettin it as long as I want to and however I want to. Another thing I have gotten out of my college experience is that is very important to be involved with college services, organizations and group clubs. I have learned that the more involved a student gets in these affairs, the more oportunities that student have to get a good job after graduating related to its career. Attending college for me has been very valuable because I have learned so far that after completing this level of education I will be ready to live a good and succesful life that will alow me to be happy and enjoy life better .

UDC is a flagship school that is a community college

UDC is a flagship school that is a community college

I would tell myself to stay focused, do not procrastinate, and get your financial aid stuff together because if you don't you'll miss your first semester and you'll start in the spring

someone who wants to argriculture, engineering, business, architecture, and someone who wants to live in a dorm

Jekeia

Outgoing and cares about one another.

Outgoing and cares about one another.

Senior year is a time spent reflecting back on all those years in the classroom while looking ahead to new adventure of college. So now as a high school student graduating from Duke Ellington you should continue to take challeging courses and strive for the best grades possible in all of your classes, complete all my college application in the early fall of your senior year. And to have atleast three main colleges that you really would like to attend. Take your SAT or ACT atleast two time before your senior year. Attend college fairs, meet all financial aid deadlines, and apply for as many scholarships as possible. And most importantly try to have your mind made up for whatever major you tend to study, so school will not be such a big struggle, trying to figure out what major interest you. And always do what you think is best for you not anyone else. Because can't nobody be you but you, you have to live your own life no one can live it for you.

That it is really a privilege for a professor to slow down his class to attend to a student.

eugenia

University of the District of Columbia is known for their open enrollment through the community college, the lowest tuition cost accessibliltiy, they offer education not only to local students, but international students as well.

Knowing what I know now about college life and making the transition, the only thing I would have done differently is to pursue a career in social work and not allow anyone to talke me out of it. I would have discussed in greater detail with my mother my love for sociology which would have steered me on the right path of education and a future career upon graduating. There are a many scholarships and grants available today than there were in 1984 and students and parents are not taking advantage of it. I would have prepared for college in terms of savings, career path and instiution in Junior High School and as a freshman in high school. Being extremely prepared is the key to sucess.

Any person not eager to learn and to pursue a great college education which will enable them to obtain a rewarding career after graduating.

University of the District of Columbia administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.