University of Tulsa

« See more reviews of University of Tulsa

In my electrical engineering class of about 25 students there is one girl besides me and the rest are guys. I have never experienced any sort of discrimination because I am a girl. Also, about half the class are international student, mainly Saudis. They tend to stay to themselves outside of class, but often times we have study groups with them and such. In the engineering building, most guys wear jeans and a tshirt or polo. most girls wear jeans and a cute top, but nothing fancy. Over in the business college, they tend to dress a little nicer, with khakis being the norm.

My classmates at the University of Tulsa are some of the most respectful and intelligent individuals I have ever come across. I have yet to meet someone who does not care about the academic success of themselves or others. Those who live on campus are keenly aware of those who live around them within the dorm and maintain a courtesy I have not encountered in any other living environment. In the classroom, my classmates are both willing and eager to help others who are struggling while maintaining a humble attitude towards their professors during lectures.

There is a wide variety of students at TU. They dress differently: from high heels and Coach purses to pajamas and slippers. There are snobs, jocks, "cool kids," dorks, choir nerds, loners. The TU student body is colorful and different. There are students who really want to learn, and there are students who are there just because their parents tell them to go. Of all of the people I talked to, it seems as though the political ideas of students is varied, although being in Oklahoma, the right seems to drown the others, which is unfortunate.

It seems that the student body is seperated in a few areas. The athletes keep seperate from the rest of the student body. There is also a few racial differences. The athletic body, specifically Football and Basketball, keep to themselves and the other african american students will hang out with them as well. The other main group are middle eastern men. Most student come from middle class, or higher class families that can help the student through college.

Middle class white students make up the primary demographic. There are a lot of Saudi Arabians, Kazaks, and Africans in the Petroleum Department. The foreigners generally stay to themselves. A lot of students are from Oklahoma, Missouri and Kansas, but there are plenty from other areas. Dress is really casual-- sometimes I wear gym shorts. Sorority girls wear dresses on Mondays, which is nice.

TU's student body is pretty diverse...for the Midwest. Because of our Petroleum Engineering program we have quite a few students from the Middle East and South America. We also have a large amount of Angolan students. Campus is definitely more diverse than the surrounding community, but still has a much larger percentage of white, Christian, heterosexual students than anything else.

There are a lot of Middle Eastern students on campus who I have never spoken to. They are almost all studying Petroleum Engineering and they don't integrate much w/ the rest of campus. Besides that group of students, everybody interacts with everybody. There isn't much rivalry between frat and sorority houses because most Greek students have friends in other houses.

The classmates you have depends largely on what you intend on majoring in. The majority of my classmates are pre-med majors who intend on higher education past an undergraduate. I think that many people at TU intend to do that. Also, the atmosphere is very academic, so everyone is on top of their studies.

Most of my classmates are academically driven, very friendly, came from the top of their high school class, nerdy (I mean that in the nicest way because I am one myself), usually from families that are financially well off, and willing to engage with other classmates as well as with the professor.

Since arriving on campus, my classmates have not just simply been accepting, caring, and trustworthy towards me, but they have also broadened my narrow worldview by teaching me firsthand new things about different religions and cultures that, before this year, simply existed within a textbook.