University of Tulsa

« See more reviews of University of Tulsa

Overall, academics at TU are pretty good. My biggest class probably had about 50 people in it, although they promise a 13:1 student to faculty ratio. Many professors make an attempt to learn your name. It is also easy to gain access to professors outside of class. There are some downsides, in the fact that some departments are so small that if you do not like a professor you still have to take multiple classes with them. Some departments only have 3 professors in them, many have less than 10. This makes for too close of a relationship with professors at times.

Academics are what TU is all about. One of the big things is that all of the professors here (at least the ones I've had) actually care about what happens to their students. Most are eager to help out with anything you have trouble on and are usually there for advice about careers, graduate schools, or whatever. TU is also really big about research, allowing undergrads to start doing research as early as they like. This is a huge thing for people trying to get into grad school.

I personally liked the academic environment. Professors for sure know not only know your name but are interested in your everyday life and things going on. There were multiple times that I saw professors outside the class room at sporting events, the gym, or even a friend's apartment. I think the academic requirements lead students in the right direction so that they have to at least take one or two classes in a field they normally wouldn't look into.

Do professors know your name? some of them, as long as you stick with them and talk to them. I'm supposed to study 4-6 hrs a day to get A's or B's. It really depends on the Professor and the material of the course. the group study is very very important and can not be ignored. As an engineer, you need to socialize with others, talk to them, study with them, and maybe hanging out with them, too. Studying alone is sucks and I didn't like it that much.

All of my professors know my name, and about half of them can tell me apart from my twin brother. The Petroleum Department is especially helpful. The head of the department, as well as several of my teachers, are often available for advice and planning. Students study enough to get the job done, but not excessively. Although I have just completed 2 years, my education so far has been geared towards acquiring knowledge, not job training.

Professors truly care about your grade and your input. Professors will do a lot to help you if you have a problem. The cheating policy is strongly worded, however, not entirely reinforced. It is very easy for students to cheat when the professor is occupied or even looking the other direction. It does not seem that all of the professors take a strong stance on cheating, especially with athletes.

I know all my professors by name and they all know my face if not my name. My favorite class is Legal Environment of Business. I see students studying very frequently. My major of International Business and Language with German is geared towards learning and traveling abroad, I haven't reached the specified Internation Business courses yet.

They are very appropiate and geared to what you want as an individual. They are student focused as academics always should be but often are not. Classes are small and you get attention from faculty and staff no matter what.

Students study alot and the Professors are great. Class participation is very common.

Every professor knows your name, this is a good thing because when it comes to starting your career you will already have high recomendations from the people who know your academic background very well, your professors. The classroom sizes are very small, in fact I was never in a classroom with more than 40 people. This type of environment is great for learning because you can ask questions if needed and the professor can actually see your hand; additionally many professors do require and induce classroom participation. The accounting and finance departments, I got to know both since I double majored, are outstanding. The professors are all excellent teachers and mentors. They care about you as a person and help you to find a job that will fit you. They also are open to any question you have as long as you schedule an appoitnment before-hand. They are very commited to not only teaching academics but also teaching you how the business environment works and what will be expected of you. So, the appoitnment before-hand is part of this learning process. Its a great place to learn!