University of Tulsa

« See more reviews of University of Tulsa

Academics at TU truly are great. Class sizes are small and rigorous, but you can read about that in any school catalog. What I want to share with you is that at the University of Tulsa, professors will know your name, they will want to help you. I have the cell phone and home phone number of many of my professors in case I need help outside of class. As a Bachelor of Music major, I don't have much time for other classes, but I have found some. I took Spanish (I even studied abroad for a summer), Chemistry, English, and I will be taking Geology next year. At TU, it is strongly recommended that students expand their horizons by taking a variety of classes and being involved in extracurricular activities. Besides music extracurriculars, I am involved in intramurals, Greek Life, and University Ambassadors. TU firmly believes that a students learning experiences goes past the classroom doors, and TU tries to help out by having activities for students to get involved in, whether that is a lecture, a play, a club, or community service.

Since the class sizes are so small, the professors do eventually know the students' names. I find students studying at any hour of the day on campus. It just depends on what your study habits are. The most unique class I have taken was Christian Ethics in Modern Society. Although the professor did miss a couple of classes, his lectures are very interesting and you learn a lot about Christianity and what it means to Christians what our ethics are. I am currently a nursing student and I haven't started clinicals yet, but I will spring semester of my sophomore year. But so far, the nursing program is great and the professors are all really nice and always there to help you.

small class sizes are by far the best thing about the academics at TU. all professors are easy to get a hold of, and if they are at all mediocre, they WILL know you by name. there are of course a few terrible teachers, but they are notorious on campus and a quick poll of people in your major will guide you and help you to stay out of their courses. in general, however, i was happy with most professors ive had. class participation varies greatly from course to course; in some there's lively discussions, in others you can hear crickets. it's all about the environment the professor fosters.

One's academic career at TU is really challenging and full of experiences. Professors at TU do know my name and not by my ID number. My favorite class at TU was Calculus-II but, I haven't had any least favorite classes yet. Students do study all the time but when its fun time, no one sacrifices fun over books. Class participation was highly appreciated in my classes. The Engineering and Science students keep themselves updated with all the news and other upcoming things happening in the science stream and discuss those with their colleagues and with their professors.

Professors try to get to know students, and most professors in the arts and sciences let you call them by their first name. Classes are generally small and so everyone can get along well. In some classes, especially in art classes, students seem competitive, but no one seems to let that get in the way of helping each other out and being nice. In the art department it is custom for students to have class dinner/drinks with professors. Some of my professors remain my good friends outside of school.

Class sizes (especially in the arts and sciences) are quite small. Professors take an active interest in their students that goes far beyond just knowing their names. Many professors hold individual conferences with students before first big assignments, give students their home contact information, and make themselves available outside of class through special review sessions, office hours, and seminars on post-college opportunities.

I would say majority of my professors know me and all my classmates by name. Students at TU definatly put many hours into studying. Class participation depends on the professor and the class. Many students are competitive but mostly with themselves, they have very high standards academically.

TU's classes are definitely a step up (or a staircase up) from other schools. I know that some of our 1000 level classes compare to other schools' 4000 level classes. It is hard, but not unmanageable.

They are really good here. I do not think I have had a class yet taught by a TA. Pretty much all of the Professors teach their classes, and they pretty much know everyone's names.

I have spent time with professors outside of class, even going to dinner. Most of the education is career-oriented.