University of Tulsa

« See more reviews of University of Tulsa

The most popular groups on campus are probably the Greek houses. We have six sororities and five fraternities. All of them are social hotspots year round. Only 20% of the student body is Greek, but 80% of student organizations are composed of Greek members. This does by no means signify that the only way to get involved is to be Greek. There are tons of people who are passionately involved in several organizations who despise the Greek system. Greeks at TU, however, are a little more responsible than the stereotypical view given them. Most Greeks at TU are just natural leaders. Other groups include Student Association (student government), University Ambassadors (tour guides), Residence Hall Association, Student Alumni Council, Big Brothers and Big Sisters, New Student Orientation, Intramural Sports, and many many more. It's VERY easy to get involved in something you find interesting on campus. It depends on the dorm as well as the student, but usually dorm rooms are left open when students are inside. I met most of my friends doing just that. Meeting people randomly is a fun experience. Athletic events aren't as popular as they once were, but they are gradually getting more attendence by the year. Football is are most popular sport closely followed by basketball. I myself am a superfan for both and I draw a lot of students to the games. It really is a fun experience to watch from the stands knowing the people playing on the field/court. Parties happen usually every weekend, but large parties occur every once in a while. The Greek houses are usually responsible for the parties. Partying has to be registered and is closely watched by security to ensure safety. If partying isn't for you, there are plenty of students on campus that share the same values. Activities for students who don't drink go on nearly every weekend. Regardless, some of the best memories in college are packing up a car with your friends and just being random.

The most popular group I would say would have to be SA, Student Association. They are the ones who allocate money to the rest of all the organizations on campus as well as addresses many of the issues students bring up to improve TU. I involved with many organizations because I like knowing what's going on around campus. I'm a pledge of Beta Alpha Psi this semester. This organization enables me to network with potential business partners and gather information about accounting firms or general companies I've never heard of. I'm also a member of a sorority, Kappa Kappa Gamma, many freshman organizations such as Freshman Leadership Institute, Phi Eta Sigma, First Year Residential Experience. I definitely take advantage of many of leadership opportunities iin these clubs as well. As far as residential life is concerned, I lived in the all freshman dorm last fall and it was a blast. There would be people in the lobbies studying and chatting all the time. However, living in the all girls residential hall would have been pretty quiet. So it just depends on where you live. Right now, I live in the soroity house. My life is very consumed with Kappa events. Sororities on campus is not that important. Parties are open to any TU student. I have many friends who do not belong to a sorority. The football games have really good turn outs but our other sports unfortunately don't have as many people attend. Other traditions involve the bonfire every homecoming night in the center of campus, springfest events that draw in the entire student population, and many others.

Greeks are definitely active on campus, however if you're not in one- no big deal. There are so many Student Organizations on campus everybody can definitely find one that fits them. I'm sure you've heard that over and over again, but at TU it's really true. You can really get involved and really, the more you get involved, the more you will love it. I am involved with Deaf TU which is an organization for Deaf Ed Majors/Minors/ASL Students, as well as anybody else interested. We do various activities and programs on campus and in the community related to Deaf Culture and Community. We often go into the Tulsa Public Schools and work with the students and teachers there. Students in dorms do not generally leave their dorms open, but some leave them unlocked. It's generally pretty safe. You don't normally see couples all over the place, but there are definitely a good amount of them. I met my closest friends through Twin South. It's the Freshman Dorm which has the First Year Residential Experience program. It's amazing and really gets everybody involved. If I'm awake at 2am on a Tuesday, I'd probably have gotten done writing a paper, studying or doing some hw assignment and I would be hanging out with a few friends before going to bed. People party but it just depends on the crowd for the frequency.

There are a lot of organizations on campus to become invovled with. With most activities, from intramurals to sororities, you can choose how involved you want to be. I went through rush my first semester and decided not to pledge to a sorority because I didnt' want to limit myself to who I became friends with. Then my sophomore year I realized that the fraternities and sororities were not like at other schools, they were very integrated an involved incampus life and they did not fit the regular greek life stereotypes. I want through open recruitment and decided to pledge and join a sorority at the end of my sophomore year and I feel like it has just expanded who I know and what activities I'm involved with. It has not changed me that much though and I have kept my same close friends group that I had before I joined my sorority. As I mentioned earlier, on the weekends you can always find a party to go to if you really want to find one. Otherwise a lot of people just chill in the dorms and apartments. You don't have to go out and party a lot by any means---you can always find people doing what you want to whether it is low key or partying.

Most popular organizations: Greek life is strong, University Ambassadors is big (which goes to show how much student's love life at TU--they all want to help recruit newbies!), Student Association. I was just elected Vice President by the entire student body! As a student, you have the opportunity to do anything you want on campus, including plan homecoming week or springfest! Athletic event attendance is a little low now, minus football. Football we all wear tye dye (blue and gold of course) and call ourselves the "Reynolds Rowdies" (reynolds stadium, fyi). Basket ball: just won CBI so support getting better! 2am on a tuesday: I am either studying in KEP (engineering building) or parting after senate with some friends. Speakers come often and are popular. Sororities: different than on most campus's because they really are about getting involved on campus, supporting philanthropies, and friendship building. while we can drink as it is a wet campus, a lot of students choose not to drink. they are lots of events that don't have alcohol served. at the ones where it is served, not everyone is drinking by any means. it's not "uncool" to not drink.

You will be lied to when told about Greek life on campus -- date rape does happen at TU, there is a LOT of drama in sorority houses, and frat people can just be downright annoying. All the time. Greeks dominate the student government, and the nepotism is so blatant sometimes it is sickening. The First Year Experience program is the school's finest program; the orientation before coming to the school is fantastic, and the whole Twin South living experience is unequaled in terms of its community-building. I still hang out with the people I met at orientation and lived with in Twin South. The selection for eligible, single gay men on campus is extremely low. There are always lots of parties going on, but I feel like everyone is encouraged to make their own life choices. My friends drink and party, but other people don't, and that's okay. There's a wonderful "live and let live" sort of mentality that really works. There is not a WHOLE lot to do in Tulsa, but if you are curious and creative, it can be a fascinating city. For sure, the Circle Cinema (the independent film cinema) is one of my favorite places to go in Tulsa.

Sororities and Fraternities are both popular, but much less than half the student body belongs to one. Residence Hall Association and Student Association are probably the two biggest organizations. I am secretary of Alpha Phi Omega, a coed national fraternity dedicated to community service. It is very fulfilling and I like the people, who share a wide variety of interests and majors, though there is a general antagonism to social fraternities and many of our members are members of the honors program. Students do leave there doors unlocked if not open when they are in their rooms. Athletic events are very popular, much more so than theater and speakers. I met my closest friends through classes for my major since we are in the same classes. Some people party every weekend, some more often, but most of my friends party rarely, and myself not at all. I went to one frat party, had a terrible time, and never went back. I do not drink or smoke or anything like that. On Saturday nights I watch movies with friends or read in my room. I don't know anything about doing things off campus besides going out to eat or to the movies.

There's not much to the Greek system on campus. I think we have 5 or 6 sororities and maybe 4 frats. I know that some schools you basically have to join a Greek group to meet people and whatnot, but that's not the case here. Pretty much all of the Greek events are open to the entire campus, there wouldn't be enough people there otherwise. There are a lot of people who choose not to go Greek. Personally, I had a lot of trouble meeting people on campus because there aren't really that many good hangout places. I didn't really know many of the people that lived in my dorm because so often people were studying or busy off campus. I also worked parttime across town though, which had a lot to do with me not meeting people because I was gone so much. Overall, I'd say the social life on campus is pretty ho-hum. The student association really tries to organize fun activities though. I think that my view on this might just have to do with my personal preferences.

TU has a great social life for pretty much anything you want to do. If you want to party, go to Frat Row. If you want to play World of Warcraft, somebody's doing it somewhere. If you want to just hang out with your friends and watch movies, go to the lobby of your residence hall. Though Tulsa is not a college town by any means, there is usually always something to do on campus. Many organizations host tons of programs each week, which draws students from all over campus. I was personally involved with Residence Hall Association for two years, and it was a great way to meet people on campus and get to know them better. The fitness center is open late and is a good hangout, along with our on-campus restaurant/sports bar. As shockingly small as Tulsa seems, it has a great arts scene, and often screens obscure independent films at local theaters. No matter what detractors say, there is always something to do around here!

I would say most students are either involved in sororities, fraternities, or athletics. there are however some that are just academically focused and involved in neither. I will say that I met my closest friend through my soccer team, but I also had many friends that participated in Greek life. TU students get in free to all sporting events which is something that I think most students take for granting in the perspective that students at most larger schools have to wait in line days early for a limited amount of tickets... etc. Homecoming and springfest are two activities that people look forward to each year. There are also philanthropy weeks put on by sororities and fraternities that are also a lot of fun.